The What's For Dinner Thread - November '09(recipe index in OP)

Hey all, quick check in here.....

Sheryl--How did Mrs Reagan turn out??

Maria--thank you so much for the information email!! Glad to see you posting again, hope you are on the mend soon for your upcoming trip! (I am more then happy to raise a glass too;))

Lauren--Deep breaths my friend, much love and no need to explain anything to us, we are here always and we understand and love unconditionally!!

Nancy--I know I have said it before and I am echoing others, but you have such a way with words!!

Becky--YUM!!!

Kat--How are you feeling?

Robin--Hope you get the new "puter" up and running soon!!

Bethany--Whooo Hooo on the parking spot!!

Ellen--You must post pics of Ethan on FB when Jay comes home!!

Michelle--Glitches or not vacation is vacation!!! Enjoy!!

Marilyn--Glad you didn't have to have meat cakes!!!

ok I totally lost my train of thought as my neighbor just stopped over to give me her wedding invitation....(she wanted to save a stamp..I actually think she wanted to talk about some issues with her family and this worked as an excuse)

For those I missed sorry.....I mean well!

Dinner is out to (ick) Applebees (Kris and I can't stand it) Ross has a coupon from the honor program and is dying to go use it. Beats cooking though!!;)

Have a great evening!!

Ladies- I shared photos of Nola on FB. They are so darn cute! I hope I did it right so that you can see them

Here is tonights dinner. It is really good. Especially since it is a diet recipe.

Moo Shu Vegetables

From EatingWell: September/October 2008
This vegetarian version of the classic Chinese stir-fry, Moo Shu, uses already-shredded vegetables to cut down on the prep time. Serve with warm whole-wheat tortillas, Asian hot sauce and extra hoisin if desired.

4 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each | Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
•3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
•4 large eggs, lightly beaten
•2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
•2 cloves garlic, minced
•1 12-ounce bag shredded mixed vegetables, such as “rainbow salad” or “broccoli slaw”
•2 cups mung bean sprouts
•1 bunch scallions, sliced, divided
•1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
•1 tablespoon rice vinegar
•2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, (see Shopping Tip)
Preparation
1.Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs; cook, stirring gently, until set, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a plate.
2.Wipe out the pan and heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened and fragrant, 1 minute. Add shredded vegetables, bean sprouts, half the sliced scallions, soy sauce and vinegar. Stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the vegetables are just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the reserved eggs and hoisin; cook, uncovered, stirring and breaking up the scrambled eggs, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining scallions and remove from the heat.
Nutrition
Per serving : 171 Calories; 9 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 4 g Mono; 212 mg Cholesterol; 14 g Carbohydrates; 11 g Protein; 4 g Fiber; 328 mg Sodium; 226 mg Potassium

1 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat

I forgot to mention Alex thought it was ok. "it would have been better with chicken":rotfl2: So much for a no meat meal.:lmao:

Ann ~ have a good time at you parents today. Did Emma have any reaction to her H1N1 shot?

Ellen, no reactions at all to any shots....knock on wood, she has been a great baby. Just at little late with those stubborn chompers!

Now, Ann, that is what I have been craving lately! I'm not brave enough to try to have that at home though.
:

I only get them at home if my Dad or brothers do the shucking! or out.

-----
Joanne, fyi Eastside Market has American lambchops for $4.99lb.

------
Because I took my DM to the store today so she could buy lamb. I changed our dinner plan. We had lamb chops (for me), pork chops (for DH), baked potatoes, apple sauce and asparagus. The lamb was so good, not as gamey as New Zealand lamb.

Going to check FB quick then get the kids in bed. :grouphug: to all

Nancy, I agree with all the rest you have such a nice way of expressing yourself
Ann thanks for the tip on the lamb chops, my husband loves lamb and I hardly ever buy it because of the cost, I'm going to EMP I do have a great recipe for a boneless butterflied leg of lamb that we grill at Easter I will post as we get closer to the day

Michelle enjoy what's left of your vacation

wfd pork chops with an apricot onion russian dressing sauce, potato, broccoli
-

I forgot to mention Alex thought it was ok. "it would have been better with chicken":rotfl2: So much for a no meat meal.:lmao:

:rotfl2:

------
Because I took my DM to the store today so she could buy lamb. I changed our dinner plan. We had lamb chops (for me), pork chops (for DH), baked potatoes, apple sauce and asparagus. The lamb was so good, not as gamey as New Zealand lamb.

Going to check FB quick then get the kids in bed. :grouphug: to all

I was watching Chopped with Buddy and the one of the ingrediets for teh entree was lamb chops. Oh my goodness they looked so good! I don;t know why but I am afraid to cook them. I love them but have never ever cooked them.

Congrats on the Parking spot. That is so cool.
I would have loved to see that exhibit. That is one of the hard things with living so rural. We get nothing like that even somewhat close to us. So please tell us about it. Do you have any pictures? Sounds really nice.

No pictures. :sad2: Cameras were prohibited. http://www.noma.org/dreams.html

It started with a little video of Disney and animation and talking about how he told a STORY first and foremost, with strong elements. The exhibit was about the art in telling the story, discussing color, lines, etc. They started with Silly Symphonies and included Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and The Princess and the Frog. Some parts had video clips and they would compare the Disney storyline to the original fairy tale he got his inspiration from.

The art really is incredible and the amount of work that goes into even one second of an animated film blows my mind. I think it said it takes 24 pictures for every second of the film. And each project is a multi-step process. They also had a bit about how the technology for films changed as it went along, and how Disney used cutting edge stuff for the time.

They also had music clips from the movie Princess and the Frog and explanations about the kind of music it was and who made the song and what instruments they used. They also told about how a team visited New Orleans to do research on things like fence details, manhole covers, trees, etc. It really was a well-done exhibit and I wish you all could have come and seen it!

Sheryl...about Ms. Reagan...I don't remember where you posted all the requirements for that project, but when I read it I was thinking it was way too much for first grade. I don't think any element by itself was too much, but all together it's too much.

Aimee- I hope your feeling well after the surgery. You had asked me about a beef brisket recipe, I didn't forget you, but it really wasn't worth it. I won't make it again.

No worries! Thanks for getting back to me :goodvibes

Still no solid food for me...Poor Greg~

I'm sorry :hug:

Just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone. Its definitely been an interesting trip, one that we'll definitely look back on and laugh about one day. If something can go wrong it did but thankfully all minor things and we're all having a good time. Meals have been good but nothing amazing except for the conch chowder from room service of all places and the miso black cod from Nobu. I'm terribly behind but wanted to tell Maria I'm so happy she's on the mend. We're coming home Saturday so I'll be able to chat more then.

I'm glad you made it back safe but sorry that the trip wasn't great. I'd love to hear more about it when you feel up to it!

I had a 12 hour day... sorta. I took an almost 2 hour lunch with friends (we dined at a tea room inside an antique mall so we shopped!), then I had a doctor appt with my surgeon, visited a new baby and her parents in the hospital, then I went to dinner with DH before I had to be back at work tonight for a concert. I am tired but not completely exhausted. I'm off tomorrow at least :goodvibes

We checked out this brand new restaurant that was really good. I had their nachos, which were fried pita triangles topped with bacon, green onions, tomatos, and TONS of gorgonzola cheese - with quac on the side. I had them cut the tomato and onion, which they didn't do, so they comped my meal. DH had chicken fried steak with jalepeno cheese grits and it was so delicious.

:rotfl2:

I was watching Chopped with Buddy and the one of the ingrediets for teh entree was lamb chops. Oh my goodness they looked so good! I don;t know why but I am afraid to cook them. I love them but have never ever cooked them.

I saw that same show...the girl's with the strawberry balsamic reduction on them looked great. Funny thing was on the show they talked about the fat tail on them...I never saw that but some had that at the store yesterday. I told my mother they said to trim it to get a good sear. She said of course I always loved it when they had the extra fat!! :lmao: I bought them with the tail trimmed.

Good morning!

I just checked in to my flight for tomorrow morning to DISNEY WORLD!!! :dance3::dance3: I got "A" boarding group for Southwest. :woohoo: I've never flown them before but knew about the check in 24 hours ahead thing for "A" boarding from the DIS. On Sunday I'm going to do the Princess Half Marathon! :scared1: I've never done something like this before so I'm a bit nervous but I'm sure I'll do fine because I did 10 miles last Sunday in 2 hours, 20 minutes, (14 min/mile pace) and this Sunday I'll have 3 hours, 30 minutes to do 13.1 miles (you have to maintain a 16 mile pace). Plus, it's the Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot! :cheer2:

Okay...gotta go to work! Have a great day everybody!

Quick pop in with last night's pic, BLT fusilli:

4408759074_17b734b501.jpg

BBL to catch up

Meatloaf tonight! No meatcakes! :rotfl:

:rotfl:

Nancy lamb chops are really, really easy! You can just broil them and they come out great. Do you like the loin chops or the rib chops? I can give you a couple of recipes if you want.

Good morning!

I just checked in to my flight for tomorrow morning to DISNEY WORLD!!!

HAVE FUN! And good luck with the half-marathon!

WFD tonight: fish cakes with spicy remoulade, asparagus, and summer squash/zucchini/cherry tomato saute.

Morning y'all,

Well I got Mrs. Reagan off to school, ready to give her report! She practiced it one more time & I think she did pretty well. ( I still think it's ridiculous for 1st grade! A hand written report, with dates, accomplishments & references! With part of the grade on how they speak, project & eye contact!!!!!:mad:) But once she felt like she looked good she was happy! I posted pics on FB.

Bethany, Good luck & have fun!:goodvibes DON'T break a leg!!! ;)

Nancy, I couldn't find the pics of Nola on FB. Are they there & I just can't figure it out? I've done lamb chops on the grill (outside) & a small rack of lamb in the oven. They are really easy to do, I like to marinate them first. I find it helps get rid of any gamey taste.

Becky, That looks yummy! Your dinner tonight sounds really delicious!

I was supposed to be going to dinner with a few of my Nola girls tonight, but one friend was in the hospital all night with breathing problems. :sad1: So I don't know what we'll do.

I wasn't planning on going to my parents today but DM called and asked me to run some errands with her. So off we go...BBL

Nancy, like Becky said...so easy. I like the loin chops. I usually just grill them, broil or pan fry. The similar the better for me. i love tasting the lamb.

Happy Friday everyone...have a great day!

:rotfl2: Glad he was open to it.

Good morning!

I just checked in to my flight for tomorrow morning to DISNEY WORLD!!! :dance3::dance3: I got "A" boarding group for Southwest. :woohoo: I've never flown them before but knew about the check in 24 hours ahead thing for "A" boarding from the DIS. On Sunday I'm going to do the Princess Half Marathon! :scared1: I've never done something like this before so I'm a bit nervous but I'm sure I'll do fine because I did 10 miles last Sunday in 2 hours, 20 minutes, (14 min/mile pace) and this Sunday I'll have 3 hours, 30 minutes to do 13.1 miles (you have to maintain a 16 mile pace). Plus, it's the Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot! :cheer2:

Okay...gotta go to work! Have a great day everybody!

Safe travels my friend. Have a great time. Thanks so much for the recap of the exhibit. I would have love to seen it. Sounds wonderful.

Aimee ~ Wow, you had a good/long day. I am so glad to hear each day is getting better. How is the job for DH going?

Nancy ~ Hey lady if I can do Lamb chops so can you!!!!!!!

Ann ~ good news about Dad

Kat ~ how are you feeling today?

Maria ~ any relief yet? Each day should be a bit better than the last.

Sheryl ~ good job on the First Lady. Wow, I am impressed.

It is raining today. Even suppose to have thunderstorms later this afternoon. But yesterday was picture perfect. I was able to get a long walk in, in the sunshine and that was wonderful. We still have mounds of snow so the rain will be just over kill at this point. We need NO more water of any kind.

Ethan has a wrestling meet tonight so we will watch that. Oh those little ones are so darn cute out on the HUGE mat. They are so proud of themselves - win or lose. After that he is coming home with us. Wednesday night at church Poppy and him made a date for the weekend. So we will have a good time.

As far as dinner goes I have no idea what or where we will eat. Maybe at the school, maybe someplace after or maybe at home. It will be Ethan's choice so who knows. All I do know is we will have a ball.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter