Theme Parks you visited that no longer exist

live4christp1

DIS Veteran
Anyone have any theme parks you remember visiting but they no longer exist?

Frontierland - think this was in Pigeon Forge area also
Porpoise Island - Pigeon Forge
Silver Dollar City in NC

Stacy_C said:
Opryland in Nashville, TN

One of my favorites, how could I have left it off? We were just at Opry Mills last month and I was telling DH how much I missed Opryland, it's just not the same there now.

Another vote for Opryland USA! I'm STILL not over the closing of it. :sad2: My dad went back there a couple years ago and said that the majority of the park where all the beautiful trees once were, has now been transformed to a parking lot and outlet mall. So sad..... :( The musical talent at Opryland was top notch.

Also, Palisades Park, Action Park, Steeplechase Park and Freedom Land(I think that is the name).

Crystal Beach, although I only remember it in weird bits and pieces since I was young when it closed

CJK said:
Another vote for Opryland USA! I'm STILL not over the closing of it. :sad2: My dad went back there a couple years ago and said that the majority of the park where all the beautiful trees once were, has now been transformed to a parking lot and outlet mall. So sad..... :( The musical talent at Opryland was top notch.

Yep, replaced with a HUGE mall and parking lot right up next to the Grand Old Opry and Roy Acuff Theater. Think maybe one or two of the little museum areas is still there. I used to have some competition clogging teams and I guess it was 2001 the last time we were at the Opry for a competition and it just isn't the same. We generally went once a year as it is just 2 hours away from us. It was a nice park without a lot of climbing up and down hills as is at Six Flags Georgia and Dollywood, was easier on my mom & dad.

Is Santa's Village still up north of Chicago? :goodvibes

There used to be a Wizard of Oz theme park in the mountains of NC. You did all of Dorothy's journey from the house to the "There's no place like home."

DisDuck said:
Also, Palisades Park, Action Park, Steeplechase Park and Freedom Land(I think that is the name).

Hey DisDuck,

Were these in the NJ area? Have never heard of them before but then again I have never really traveled up in that area.

there was a place called paragon park on the beach on MA when i was a kid we went there all the time
its been gone for along time now but i remember it...

We used to always go to a park in MD called Enchanted Forest. It's been closed for years, but is still there. I always point it out to my children when we drive past. I wish I could take them there. :)

To be honest (forgive me Disers!) The place it holds in my heart is right up there with Disney. Just a few steps down. :cloud9:

teacherforhi said:
There used to be a Wizard of Oz theme park in the mountains of NC. You did all of Dorothy's journey from the house to the "There's no place like home."

Are you talking about the one on Beech Mountain. It still opens one weekend a year and the wait times number several hours.

I remember Jungle Habitat back in the early 70's
I also remeber the Urban ledgends that when they closed the park down they just opendthe cages to the animals and set them all free.

There was one in Myrtle Beach, SC down south towards Garden City called Magic Harbour. It was never crowded and a nice little park.

ncgolfer said:
Are you talking about the one on Beech Mountain. It still opens one weekend a year and the wait times number several hours.

Really! OMG! I haven't been there since I was 6! I'll have to check into it. :cool1:

live4christp1 said:
One of my favorites, how could I have left it off? We were just at Opry Mills last month and I was telling DH how much I missed Opryland, it's just not the same there now.

I am only 2 hours from Nashville, too. I am in West TN. How about you?

LOL I have a dozen IOU's to visit Palisades Amusement Park. My older sisters dates used to promise to take me when I begged to tag along on their dates.....sadly it closed before I could get them to pay up! ( but we'll always have the song!)

The car I was in was "charged " by some crazy camels at Jungle Habitat!

Now that opryland is gone , I don't see a family trip to Nashville anytime soon!

Oh and I did not even know Action Park was gone (how bad is that?).

The last one I will mention was more of a 1950s roadside attraction 'Fairy Tale Forest". It was nursery rhymes exhibited as statues & buildings. I never really cared for it but my kids have good memories from there...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter