Theme Parks you visited that no longer exist

Six Gun Territory - Central Florida

Near Navarre, Florida, there used to be a little roadside zoo, All I remember is that they had one of those "gravity houses" where it was hard to stand, but it looked like you were on a level floor. It was near Squirrels Tent City and those rotating orange balls.

Mountain Park, in Holyoke, MA

Riverside Park, in Agawam, MA
Riverside was bought out by Six Flags, so actually, the park is still there. No more racetrack, though. I haven't visited it since it became Six Flags, and I live in Agawam.

Francine

I remember a bunch of small local parks. Adventures Inn, Playland, Jolly Rogers, Palisades Park. I thought Action Park reopened as Mountain Creek, or are they two different places?

Joyland in Wichita, KS (not sure if it is still there or not).

We used to go there for family/school/work picnics. You needed tickets to ride the rides, and they gave free tickets to kids for good grades on their report cards - so many for an A, B C, etc. My brother and I could ride all day on the tickets we got for our report cards. There was no admission fee, so Mom, Dad and baby brother could come along and watch the fun, too. It was a free afternoon!

They had the "Zipper" rider there. I was terrified of it, but was talked into trying it once. I cried the whole time and have never been on another "Zipper" since then.

Denae

Denae

Another one who remembers Circus World. I rode an elephant there, I think. I have pics of it.

I think Action Park is now completely made over into a water park called Mountain Creek...

live4christp1 said:
I'm right outside Chattanooga Tennessee. Good to see a fellow Tennesean here!!!!!!

There seem to be several people from Tennessee on these boards. I loved Chaos (the indoor roller coaster) at Opryland. I remember when Dollywood was Silver Dollar City and before that (way back in the late 70's) Gold Rush Junction.

Sirius said:
There seem to be several people from Tennessee on these boards. I loved Chaos (the indoor roller coaster) at Opryland. I remember when Dollywood was Silver Dollar City and before that (way back in the late 70's) Gold Rush Junction.

Chaos was a favorite of mine too....remember when they used to pass out the 3D glasses as you were getting on. Think they sold it and is in another park up north now.....not sure but think that is what a read when they were selling off bits and pieces. I do know they sold the Hangman to another park, it was fairly new when the park closed.

jellymanoffspring said:
LOL I have a dozen IOU's to visit Palisades Amusement Park. My older sisters dates used to promise to take me when I begged to tag along on their dates.....sadly it closed before I could get them to pay up! ( but we'll always have the song!)

The last one I will mention was more of a 1950s roadside attraction 'The Land of Make Believe". It was nursery rhymes exhibited as statues & buildings. I never really cared for it but my kids have good memories from there...
Palisades Amusement Park
Swings all day and after dark
Ride the coaster, get cool
in the waves in the pool
You'll have fun so come on over!

(Not sure that's right, but it's from memory!)

The Land of Make Believe is still open.

http://www.thelandofmakebelieve.com/

I went there once...the summer after 3rd grade...back in '67. :eek: The whole Jenny Jump Rock story kind of freaked me out.
The Jenny Jump Mountains were named after a colonial girl who allegedly followed her father's suggestion to jump of a cliff to avoid being ravaged by stalking Indians. That jump proved to be fatal. Today part of the mountainous area is preserved as wooded parkland of Jenny Jump State Park.

Ahhh Chaos at Opryland! What fond memories! I think I have a copy of the song that played in it somewhere. What's the name of that flume/rollercoaster ride that you could see from the parking lot? I loved that one too. Can't forget the Grizzly River Rampage either!!! :teeth: The Cumberland Boys who performed at Opryland are now performing in Silver City in Branson. Of course, only one of the guys is an original member and they're going by 'Cumberland Quartet' now.

Another Circus World fan here...it was fun from what I recall!

CJK said:
Ahhh Chaos at Opryland! What fond memories! I think I have a copy of the song that played in it somewhere. What's the name of that flume/rollercoaster ride that you could see from the parking lot? I loved that one too. Can't forget the Grizzly River Rampage either!!! :teeth: The Cumberland Boys who performed at Opryland are now performing in Silver City in Branson. Of course, only one of the guys is an original member and they're going by 'Cumberland Quartet' now.

Do you mean the Screaming Delta Demon, it was like a log ride without water, the cars were on rollers. That ride was so cool!!!!!!

I loved Circus World!!!

cwtent3.jpg

MaryAnnDVC said:
Palisades Amusement Park
Swings all day and after dark
Ride the coaster, get cool
in the waves in the pool
You'll have fun so come on over!

(Not sure that's right, but it's from memory!)

The Land of Make Believe is still open.

http://www.thelandofmakebelieve.com/

I went there once...the summer after 3rd grade...back in '67. :eek: The whole Jenny Jump Rock story kind of freaked me out.

Thanks Maryann!! I remember that song..I was also thinking of the rock n roll song about Palisades park!

Oh and thats Right I meant Fairy Tale Forest not LOMB ( i am glad LOMB is still there!)

Screaming Delta Demon! That's it! Thanks! Ahhh, why oh why did they close Opryland?? :sad1: :sad2:

Opryland
Dogpatch USA in Ark I think(it could still be there but I'm not sure lol)
Libertyland(I think was it's name)

SherryNC said:
Is Santa's Village still up north of Chicago? :goodvibes

Santa's Village is still there, although it probably shouldn't be. IMO its nasty.

Sherry - are you old enough to remember Adventureland?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter