they changed the way you feed the dolphins

buzz2400

<font color=teal>The TF waves to buzz2400's DS
I just came back from seaworld and just wanted to pass this info along. The new way of feeding the dolphins is now: if you want to go down to feed the dolphins it is now $7 a person. If you get in the line, you will have to pay $7 even if you only want to take pictures. About every five minutes, they let a new group in. they have the group stand in a line away from the dolphin pool and give instructions. then they have you go up to the dolphin pool and they go around giving every one the fish. you then get to spend the remaining three or so minutes feeding and trying to touch dolphins. They give you a two minute warning and then when time is up, the line has to exit so that the new group could come in. If you want to take pictures of your "loved ones", you can stand across the dolphin pool and take the pictures. I was kinda disappointed because I could not share the moment with my son because I wanted to take the pictures.

Did you find that you could still take good pictures from across the pool? Maybe I should pay $14 and give my fish to DK so I can snap away from right beside him.

I had to magnify my camera alot and I just held it up and kept snapping pictures. I will be downloading them this weekend to see how they came out. I kinda wish I had gone in with him. What you can do before you pay is go over to the area across the pool and take some pictures and then you can make a decision on whether you should go in or not.

I did this a few weeks ago. Just paid the $7 to get access the took as many pics as I wanted. I didn't know about the spot for taking photos from arorss the pool. It would give you a face on view as opposed to the side view you get when you go in with the group. Youll find some photos here

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="800" height="534" id="ssidx"> <param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2009060305.swf?AlbumID=8980230&AlbumKey=DrPjr&transparent=true&bgColor=&borderThickness=&borderColor=&useInside=&endPoint=&mainHost=cdn.smugmug.com&VersionNos=2009060305&width=800&height=534&clickToImage=true&captions=true&showThumbs=true&autoStart=true&showSpeed=true&pageStyle=white&showButtons=true&randomStart=true&randomize=true&splash=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smugmug.com%2Fimg%2Fria%2FShizamSlides%2Fsmugmug_black.png&splashDelay=1000&crossFadeSpeed=350"> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"> <param name="allowNetworking" value="all"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"> <embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2009060305.swf?AlbumID=8980230&AlbumKey=DrPjr&transparent=true&bgColor=&borderThickness=&borderColor=&useInside=&endPoint=&mainHost=cdn.smugmug.com&VersionNos=2009060305&width=800&height=534&clickToImage=true&captions=true&showThumbs=true&autoStart=true&showSpeed=true&pageStyle=white&showButtons=true&randomStart=true&randomize=true&splash=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smugmug.com%2Fimg%2Fria%2FShizamSlides%2Fsmugmug_black.png&splashDelay=1000&crossFadeSpeed=350" width="800" height="534" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" > </embed> </object>

testing the slidewhsow for steery...

swfpopup.mg

http://mnmstudios.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=232981&AlbumKey=GiwTp

Mikeeee

Wow, it all seems very regimented! :confused3 Sure sounds like it takes the fun away from feeding them now. I'm just glad (and lucky) that we're doing DC, so we'll have plenty dolphin experience there. I think we'll give the $7 feeding a miss and just take some photo's across the pool.

Orlando park, dolphin 'petting' pool, yes?

Am I to understand that, even if you have absolutely no interest in feeding the dolphins, and simply want to try your luck at playing with them, Sea World is now charging you an extra $7 just for being there AND limiting your time?!

If this is accurate, then they have indeed sunk to a new low of greed, something I didn't think was possible.

Happy travels.

Orlando park, dolphin 'petting' pool, yes?

Am I to understand that, even if you have absolutely no interest in feeding the dolphins, and simply want to try your luck at playing with them, Sea World is now charging you an extra $7 just for being there AND limiting your time?!

If this is accurate, then they have indeed sunk to a new low of greed, something I didn't think was possible.

Happy travels.

You have that correct - they're now charging to even go down and by poolside!

Just to add, as my Dad's just pointed out. It's rather unfair, as people have already paid admission, so why should they have to pay again? I can't understand SeaWorld's logic behind this one?

I may be wrong but maybe the feeding is only at certain times. Maybe the rest of the day anyone can go and pet the Dolphins without paying $7 for a tiny tray of little fish.

I'm sure someone who knows will correct me if I'm wrong. I couldn't imagine the dolphins would be allowed to be fed fish constantly all day.....?

I may be wrong but maybe the feeding is only at certain times. Maybe the rest of the day anyone can go and pet the Dolphins without paying $7 for a tiny tray of little fish.

I'm sure someone who knows will correct me if I'm wrong. I couldn't imagine the dolphins would be allowed to be fed fish constantly all day.....?

i hope it's like that and you only have to pay during the feeding times. all other wouldn't make sense... :confused:

You have that correct - they're now charging to even go down and by poolside!

Just to add, as my Dad's just pointed out. It's rather unfair, as people have already paid admission, so why should they have to pay again? I can't understand SeaWorld's logic behind this one?

Frell... Just when I thought Sea World couldn't get any more greedy...

I have to wonder if this same idiocy has struck the San Diego park (specifically, the 'Rocky Point Preserve' exhibit).

Let me be clear: I have no objection to charging for the actual feeding-fish, but to charge separate admission to an area which should already be covered?!

In any case, you're absolutely right. I think it goes beyond 'unfair,' and ventures into the territory of 'downright stupid.' It's painfully obvious they're trying to drive anyone who wants any type of close contact with dolphins to Discovery Cove.

(sigh) Then again, "logic" and "Sea World" are two terms which are, in my experience, mutually exclusive, especially if one interprets logic to include common sense.

What was the old line about bread and circuses? ;-)

Happier travels.

Frell... Just when I thought Sea World couldn't get any more greedy...

I have to wonder if this same idiocy has struck the San Diego park (specifically, the 'Rocky Point Preserve' exhibit).

Let me be clear: I have no objection to charging for the actual feeding-fish, but to charge separate admission to an area which should already be covered?!

In any case, you're absolutely right. I think it goes beyond 'unfair,' and ventures into the territory of 'downright stupid.' It's painfully obvious they're trying to drive anyone who wants any type of close contact with dolphins to Discovery Cove.

(sigh) Then again, "logic" and "Sea World" are two terms which are, in my experience, mutually exclusive, especially if one interprets logic to include common sense.

What was the old line about bread and circuses? ;-)

Happier travels.

They have closed part of the dolphin pool to only the people who pay to buy the fish. No one is allowed in that area unless it is a feeding time. It was done so that the people feeding the dolphins actually get to enjoy it rather than the general viewers stealing their chances of an interaction away from them. It used to be pushy, shovey time to get to the side and people surrounded the families with fish, blocking the kids from close encounters even though their family was feeding them. Personally I think a family of 4 should be able to all go in as long as they buy a tray or 2. Might mean you have a longer wait to get in for your turn with the dolphins, though.

There is always the rest of the pool that is open( same hours as park) to try and have a close up encounter with a dolphin. If they are feeding at the time, chances are you won't have many dolphins swimming in that area. When they aren't feeding you may have a better chance of touching a dolphin. Last time we were there we did have dolphins coming over and checking out the crowd just after a feeding.
Best chance in the nonfeeding area might be right at opening when the dolphins have not had their first feeding of the morning. They will be coming close to side to see if there are people with fish.

As for San Diego, pretty sure the same applies.

Are you kidding? Are you people seriously gonna make me defend Sea World?!? Sheesh. First time for everything I guess.

The PP is right. There is a section along the pool reserved for folks feeding the dolphins. They do NOT close the whole area. It is my understanding that this was done in response to many customer complaints about the crowds at feeding time. The change makes the feeding better, not worse. The area is not large enough for all the feeding guests and whatever size group they were with to hang out at the edge, they obviously couldn't draw a fair line in family size, so they drew it on the ground. It wasn't about removing access, it was done to provide it.

I was there before the change. "Pushy" sums it up just about right. No point to buying any fish if you couldn't squeeze into a spot to hand 'em over. I for one am very glad for the current crowd control methods used here.

They've also added a ton of toys to the pool....floats and balls and such...for the dolphins and the guests to play with. The dolphins did not seem to discriminate between areas and played catch with guests on both sides.

The entire area and experience is much, much nicer now. My wife and I left commenting on how much more positive and stress-free the experience was.

Pax

Are you kidding? Are you people seriously gonna make me defend Sea World?!? Sheesh. First time for everything I guess.

The PP is right. There is a section along the pool reserved for folks feeding the dolphins. They do NOT close the whole area. It is my understanding that this was done in response to many customer complaints about the crowds at feeding time. The change makes the feeding better, not worse. The area is not large enough for all the feeding guests and whatever size group they were with to hang out at the edge, they obviously couldn't draw a fair line in family size, so they drew it on the ground. It wasn't about removing access, it was done to provide it.

I was there before the change. "Pushy" sums it up just about right. No point to buying any fish if you couldn't squeeze into a spot to hand 'em over. I for one am very glad for the current crowd control methods used here.

They've also added a ton of toys to the pool....floats and balls and such...for the dolphins and the guests to play with. The dolphins did not seem to discriminate between areas and played catch with guests on both sides.

The entire area and experience is much, much nicer now. My wife and I left commenting on how much more positive and stress-free the experience was.

Pax

I agree. When I did this a few weeks ago it was a very positive, relaxed and "roomy" experience. Although I've never done it before the changes I can imagine how crowded it must have been with one or two trays of fish between a family/group of maybe four or more. Now its at least one tray per person entering and if you wanna take photos buy a tray or take photos from the dedicated photo taking spot across the pool. :)

I agree. When I did this a few weeks ago it was a very positive, relaxed and "roomy" experience. Although I've never done it before the changes I can imagine how crowded it must have been with one or two trays of fish between a family/group of maybe four or more. Now its at least one tray per person entering and if you wanna take photos buy a tray or take photos from the dedicated photo taking spot across the pool. :)

sounds pretty relaxing! and better organized! when i heard about it at first I thought you have to pay $7 whenever you want to see the dolphins at dolphin cove and I wouldn't have liked that! ;)

I am the original poster and I love seaworld. I understand that the original way was very crowded. I just wanted to warn people of the new way so that they could decide before hand how they want to handle it. I was not aware and thus had to make a quick decision on what to do and now I am regretting not going in and feeding the dolphins.

Also they don't feed the whole time the park is open. The lady there said that they like to give the dolphins a break. I do wish they give you more time in the feeding area because they do count the minutes that you are being instructed and getting the fish.

The way I see it, it is very expensive to have the animals there so if they could get the guests to foot some of the bill, it is good for the animals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter