they changed the way you feed the dolphins

I did this recently and liked the fact that I wasn't competing with a huge crowd. It was just those who had paid to feed the dolphins, so it was easy to feed them and get plenty of interaction. I didn't feel like the time was rushed. The only bad thing was that there was one little boy who was scared to death because his dad couldn't come in with him. He had no clue what to do, so he ended up sticking with DH and I. His dad was far enough away to where he couldn't really see him while feeding and he was very worried and upset. Hopefully most parents will take their kid's feelings into account and pay the extra $7 to be in there with them if sending them in alone is going to frighten them so much.

I agree that this is better. Once in Ohio, DD17 (when she was a wee little girl) was standing next to a girl who got bit by a dolphin (teeth mark on her arm) because there were so many people pushing and shoving and putting thier hands on top of the dolphins blow holes.

I just think when it's too crowded it's not good for the dolphins. Granted I know it seems like SW is making money for you to be able to see them, but honestly if you do pay for food -it will be a much better experience for both you and the dolphin. I think they should allow 1 adult to accompany a child though. That seems a little greedy to make the parent pay too. Also - it would be nice if you pay $7 to have 2 of your kids share the food. We usually buy one tray, and now it will cost a little more. But for more interaction and the dolphins being safer -I will gladly pay.

I agree that this is better. Once in Ohio, DD17 (when she was a wee little girl) was standing next to a girl who got bit by a dolphin (teeth mark on her arm) because there were so many people pushing and shoving and putting thier hands on top of the dolphins blow holes.

I just think when it's too crowded it's not good for the dolphins. Granted I know it seems like SW is making money for you to be able to see them, but honestly if you do pay for food -it will be a much better experience for both you and the dolphin. I think they should allow 1 adult to accompany a child though. That seems a little greedy to make the parent pay too. Also - it would be nice if you pay $7 to have 2 of your kids share the food. We usually buy one tray, and now it will cost a little more. But for more interaction and the dolphins being safer -I will gladly pay.

how many fish are in the tray?

Yeah I think when we last did it there were around 4.

Even though I have a family with annual passes, I was not about to pay for 6 people to enter the area when we were visiting in July. We go to the non paying side and have no trouble visiting the dolphins. When we go, we take our time and my wife and I will plan to be there for at least a half hour.

One evening, we went down there and they had the toys in the pool. Great memories of my four kids playing catch with the dolphins.....

I am kind of torn on this one...while I can see the benefit of the more controlled crowd level, you still cannot control who the dolphins are going to go to in a 5 minute period...and to be regimented on quickly feeding and not being able to enjoy at your own pace is a bummer. We used to take our time with each fish, enjoying the experience and watching the dolphins and watching how much fun others were having. Getting candid photos and also having time to enjoy the dolphins was nice for us parents. I do not care to be herded along like this. I know the general petting pools will be open for non feeding times, but the interaction is of course better DURING feeding times. maybe at least 10 minutes? but I know they cannot over feed the dolphins all day long. Next I see the pre-purchase of feeding times on line, so now SW will go the way of WDW, and the beauty of a relaxing day at SW will go out the window. We also used to share 2 trays among 4 people, so I guess those dasy are gone. It's just sort of a bummer for me, the main thing about SW is ability to experience the marine life in an up close more personal special atmosphere, now I feel like it is taking on a more zoo like feel. I hope to feel differently whenever we get back. This will bum DH out big time, the Dolphin feeding is his favorite time from way backwhen the kids were little, he likes to grasp back a little of that precious time now that they are teens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter