Think of All The Joy You'll Find When You Leave the World Behind- Nov 2018 TR-updated 09/22/19 RL

oh gosh! That's so so scary! I'm so sorry your poor girls had to go through that by themselves, but so grateful your house was ok. *hugs, retroactively*

Also, hope work hires more staff so you don't have to keep shouldering that extra load. No fun, even if it is winter and not much else to do.

I don't blame you for being out of it at breakfast! That is so scary when you feel helpless. I'm glad everything was ok at home but totally get why you didn't want to go to The Plaza after what happened in 2010.

Oh my gosh. That must have been so hard. And def understandable on your moods in the am. I do like when folks share the good and the bad of there trips. It happens and I feel like it helps people do have that kind of day. So, so so glad to hear your house was ok!

I couldn't bring myself to "like" your last post, I could tell you were really upset by what was happening back home.

There is no worse feeling than that helplessness.

I'm glad everything at your house was fine and safe!!

All that said, your food at Cape May looked really good!!

I hope you're able to push some of the stress from home aside and enjoy your Epcot day!!

Just the thought of how close that was to your home is so scary! I cannot imagine how you were feeling that morning. :hug:

I think it was nice of you to share with the CM so that breakfast ended on a better note for everyone.

Glad to hear everything turned out ok and your house was safe and sound, but I can only fathom the anxiety that must have caused feeling so helpless so far away. I dealt with something similar a few years ago when my Dad had to go in for unexpected surgery while we were at Disney. He convinced us to stay but I felt unsettled the rest of the trip.

I am so glad that in the end all was ok :hug: Back in 2011 we were on vacation in Va. Beach when my mom called to tell us my little girl :cat: Tabitha had died. I was a wreck, especially having not been there with her at the end. But not knowing - was anything even wrong? If so, what? Is just so much more stressful.

On a better note, your Cape May food looks super good! We've only had dinner there which we really enjoy but maybe I'll try the breakfast at some point :)

Oh my goodness! What a terrible thing to wake up to! And I can't even imagine the worry about your Ellie being so far away and then your Mom not being there that night. But Im glad that it all worked out and everything was okay!

Oh my goodness, how scary for you! Thank the maker everything was okay and your fur babies were okay!

It is hard to know what to do when on vacation and something happens at home, it stinks. I remember being on the monorail with a lady, she just found out her home was underwater from The Hurricane that hit Texas and she was in shock! I let her vent as much as she needed and felt so bad for her! She did say WDW was wonderful and she was able to stay on as long as she needed!

Thank you all for your kind words. It was a scary day, and I appreciate all your warm thoughts regarding everything that happened. I'm grateful that everyone involved here was okay, but the community did lose someone too young that tragic night.

oh gosh! That's so so scary! I'm so sorry your poor girls had to go through that by themselves, but so grateful your house was ok. *hugs, retroactively*

Also, hope work hires more staff so you don't have to keep shouldering that extra load. No fun, even if it is winter and not much else to do.

Thank you. We did hire someone else, hooray! Our other person adopted a baby, and she is on maternity leave. I will happily work extra to cover her so that she gets to bond with her child.

I don't blame you for being out of it at breakfast! That is so scary when you feel helpless. I'm glad everything was ok at home but totally get why you didn't want to go to The Plaza after what happened in 2010.

Ha! The Plaza, unfairly, is getting a negative reputation from me at no fault of its own!

Oh my gosh. That must have been so hard. And def understandable on your moods in the am. I do like when folks share the good and the bad of there trips. It happens and I feel like it helps people do have that kind of day. So, so so glad to hear your house was ok!
Thank you. I don't like sharing the downside, but it happens. I guess you're right. . .it's just a part of it.

I couldn't bring myself to "like" your last post, I could tell you were really upset by what was happening back home.

There is no worse feeling than that helplessness.

I'm glad everything at your house was fine and safe!!

All that said, your food at Cape May looked really good!!

I hope you're able to push some of the stress from home aside and enjoy your Epcot day!!
Thank you. Cape May was actually a good breakfast if we had just been able to enjoy it more! The pumpkin pancakes with the thick, caramel syrup were really good as was the corn beef poached egg! My husband didn't like it, but I don't think he gave it a fair shot. I think he just associates it with the morning we had and said he doesn't want to go back. I, however, would like to give it another shot.

Just the thought of how close that was to your home is so scary! I cannot imagine how you were feeling that morning. :hug:

I think it was nice of you to share with the CM so that breakfast ended on a better note for everyone.
In the end, it was the right thing to do. I can imagine she must have thought we were upset with her or we were just terrible guests, and I just couldn't let her go on about her day thinking that. She was a nice, older lady and we didn't want to ruin her day by being gloomy.

Glad to hear everything turned out ok and your house was safe and sound, but I can only fathom the anxiety that must have caused feeling so helpless so far away. I dealt with something similar a few years ago when my Dad had to go in for unexpected surgery while we were at Disney. He convinced us to stay but I felt unsettled the rest of the trip.
I'm sorry! It's terrible to feel helpless and be so far away.
I am so glad that in the end all was ok :hug: Back in 2011 we were on vacation in Va. Beach when my mom called to tell us my little girl :cat: Tabitha had died. I was a wreck, especially having not been there with her at the end. But not knowing - was anything even wrong? If so, what? Is just so much more stressful.

On a better note, your Cape May food looks super good! We've only had dinner there which we really enjoy but maybe I'll try the breakfast at some point :)
Aw, no, that's so terrible! It just puts a damper on the rest of the trip, doesn't it?
I'd like to eat dinner there sometime, but breakfast was good! As I mentioned above, Jason didn't like it but I think that was just because of the circumstances. They had a few unique offerings that I hadn't seen at the other breakfast buffets and, honestly, I think with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 breakfast buffets, I've tried them all!

Oh my goodness! What a terrible thing to wake up to! And I can't even imagine the worry about your Ellie being so far away and then your Mom not being there that night. But Im glad that it all worked out and everything was okay!
As scary as it was, she's currently laying in my bed sleeping on my pillow so I don't feel too bad for her anymore. She seems to have forgotten it all, which I'm grateful that animals can do that.

Oh my goodness, how scary for you! Thank the maker everything was okay and your fur babies were okay!

It is hard to know what to do when on vacation and something happens at home, it stinks. I remember being on the monorail with a lady, she just found out her home was underwater from The Hurricane that hit Texas and she was in shock! I let her vent as much as she needed and felt so bad for her! She did say WDW was wonderful and she was able to stay on as long as she needed!

That's kind of you to let her share her story. I'm sure that brought her some comfort. I'm grateful to the kind CM for waiving $20.00 and changing the reservation for us. It's the small things that make the difference.

Don't Be So Crabby- Day Six, Part Two

Tuesday, November 6th- Epcot and Disney Springs

Jason and I have been traveling to Disney together since 2008. In all those trips, we have only flown once and in none of those have we ever driven ourselves to the parks. One of his favorite things about Disney is the convenience of travel. Once we get to our resort, he likes to park our car and revel in not having to drive for a week or so. Now that we have found that we enjoy resort hopping, he doesn't mind driving so much. So, we could have driven ourselves back to The Boardwalk to take the boat to Epcot, but we decided today we would rather just drive to the park and leave whenever we wanted. We found a decent parking place and walked to the front gates for the first time this trip.

We had Fastpasses for Living With the Land, Soaring, and I think Spaceship Earth, but I canceled whatever the last FP was. We were exhausted already and really just wanted to go rest, but we had lunch later at Chefs De France that I couldn't bring myself to cancel since I had already switched around one reservation for the day. We weren't really sure what to do. We wandered a little aimlessly and ended up at the Pixar Film Festival just to sit down.

EpcotFilmfestival.jpg
We really enjoy seeing these. Of course, as soon as Piper started I started blubbering again and cried all the way through the story about the dog and the feast. I can't help it. Pixar films make me emotional. We both really wanted to hug dogs after that, but our dogs were hundreds of miles away and alone and. . . I started crying again. This was not turning out well for us.

We stopped in the art store. Man, these prints are so amazing. I wanted to buy just one as our really big souvenir to ourselves, but I had already bought a Banshee and knew I was trying to fill the void irresponsibly.
Epcotart.jpg Figmentpainting1.jpg Mickeyfirefighter.jpg
And then there was the firefighter Mickey, which made me start thinking about when my step-dad used to "puppysit" Dixie when she was a puppy and he called her "Dixie Witch" to make us think he didn't love her. Don't worry, she always snuggled down in the crook of his big arm, and he held her like a baby. So, again, I had a meltdown in the middle of this store. Awesome.

We used our fastpasses for LWTL and Soarin'. Afterwards, we were just beat so we found a place at Sunshine Seasons to rest and drink our bottles of water. We eventually got up and walked over to France. We had dined her on our honeymoon, and it was the worst experience we had the entire vacation. You can imagine we didn't have high hopes, especially with our somber moods. We walked in to the restaurant with our heads kind of down.

That's when we met Maxime. Let me tell you, he must have seen us coming a mile away because he was fantastic. Firstly, he congratulated us for our anniversary. When we told him we were on the Deluxe Dining Plan, he asked if he could take over and suggest our meal and drinks for the day. Not in the mood to think, really, we obliged. That was when the day started to turn around.

For Jason, he recommended the escargot. I couldn't imagine my husband's unrefined palette accepting this suggestion, but to my surprise he agreed. I had the cheese plate because it was too hot for soup, and I'm not eating snails. Nope.

For our drinks, he picked the most delicious strawberry champagne I have ever had. I don't like champagne or wine much because I tend to have an allergic reaction to white wine, but I do okay with a nice blush or very small glass. This was a very expensive glass so we agreed since it was a crappy day and why not spend the credit to the max? This was so good that I wanted another glass. Even Jason, who doesn't tolerate wine at all, loved it. Score #2 for Maxime vs the very bad day.

Our entrees were perfect. We each had the filet de beouf, and Jason said it was his favorite steak of the whole trip. We ended with decadent desserts. I know this is not a food report, but it was important to include this because Maxime and the meal turned everything around for us. If only it would last. . .

Les Chef de France is back on the list now, but it's sad to think such a talented and kind person will not be there next time. I wish him luck on his future endeavors for sure.

LCcheeseplate.jpg LCescargot.jpg LCbeeftenderloin.jpg LCcake.jpg

Feeling somewhat rejuvenated but still exhausted, we decided to call it a day so we took the boat to Canada, stopped at MouseGears, and walked out.
EpcotSE.jpg EpcotWS.jpg

Continued. . .

. . .Continued from last post

We had a late dinner at Paddlefish to end our evening. Man, I wish I could have just stopped the day where it ended because we slid right back down the hill into the mud. I was looking forward to having some seafood. Red alert, red alert. Again, I just don't want to write about this day, but I'm going to try to do it quickly and delicately. You'll see why soon.

We rested until 8:00 and drove ourselves to DS. The restaurant was practically empty. I'm not sure what I was expecting for a Signature restaurant in a boat, but this wasn't it. Their menu did not fit their upscale atmosphere, and I was feeling a bit put off. We ordered our drinks while we perused the menu. This is where it all came to a screeching halt.

Remember how I said the restaurant was pretty empty and quiet? Also known as a whole lot of tables around us. Right next to us a party of four was seated. No big deal, right? Okay, this is where I'm trying to be delicate. My first flag was the CM tour guide plastered to the side of one person. This person would go on to announce his identity, but I'm not going to say his name. He was a celebrity chef that neither of us had ever heard of, but believe me when I say he wanted everyone in that restaurant to know that he knew "Gordon" and "Wolfgang." He was loud and obnoxious and the longer that party sat there, the louder they became. You could blame the endless rounds of drinks he was collecting on his tab, but I think it was a personality competition to see who could outyell the other. He talked about his show and how he had haters out there, but all he wanted to do was good things for humanity. We were keeping to ourselves and not eavesdropping on purpose, but it was like he had a megaphone in my ear.

While this was happening, there was a mistake with my food, which was partially my fault. I had ordered the crab cake appetizer without corn because it's one of the foods on my no-safe zone. I'm not allergic, per se, but I cannot physically eat corn. Corn syrup is fine. Cornmeal, fine. I explained that to our server, but then the kitchen manager came out wanting to discuss it further. It's super embarrassing talking in public about my GI issues, but I had to explain her that my paralyzed stomach just can't digest it and I promised no epi pen would be necessary. Still, they brought it out with the crab cakes on one plate and the fried green tomatoes on another. They are in no way at fault for this because they were just doing their jobs, and I very much appreciate them trying to get it right.

About this time, obnoxious cooking party had another guest drop in. He pulled up a chair on the end of the table so that his chair was up against our table. Seriously. Our entrees came and while I was eating my crab legs, the manager stopped by to inform me I was doing it wrong. Are you kidding me right now?

angry2.gif
I'm pretty sure my nostrils were literally flaring. I'm getting mad thinking about it right now. In fact, I'm not even posting pictures of this disastrous atrocity because I don't want to credit the meal that much. The food would have been fine, but I can promise you we will never return here again. Neither of us blamed the poor server who was trying to keep up with Captain Cook and his gang. I'm sure they were going to tip her well, but we did too just out of pity.

We had to wiggle past the uninvited guest to even get out of our table. We left without ever looking back.

By this point, the stores were closing. We had just enough time to pop into the Christmas store to take Jason's traditional photo.
JasonsadDS.jpg
It's his pup sad face because we always miss the girls when we're on vacation, but especially today. We drove ourselves back to the resort for the evening and closed our eyes on this awful day.

Resort Hop: 4
Steps: 14,882
Miles: 6.6

On our next episode of These are The Days of Our Disney Lives: A much needed "rest day" turns into one of the best days ever!

Is it bad I really want to know who the chef was?

That’s terrible he was acting like that and that it had such an impact on your meal. I think my husband would have said something because he would have been maaaddddd especially when they entered our space bubble.

Sorry for the bad day. Hopefully it is the only one of the vacation

Glad to hear that you at least had one good meal in there. And a small piece of a good day. I am sure that was just a hard day all around.

On our next episode of These are The Days of Our Disney Lives: A much needed "rest day" turns into one of the best days ever!
And I am so glad to see this, here's to a better day tomorrow.

I'm with @Dis_Yoda on this one too. I'm totally dying to know who was so obnoxious!!!

Sorry you all had such a rough day, but at least France could turn it around for you a bit in the middle. Since they don't take Tables in Wonderland I don't think I've eaten there in 20+ years but your champagne alone has me wanting to change that.

Sorry to hear paddlefish was such a disaster all the way around. We did it once for apps when they first opened and that over priced and poor service experience was enough for us to know we'd never go back.

Aw, glad you at least had a bright spot in the middle.

How obnoxious! And what was the manager thinking, coming to tell you you were eating wrong?!?!?! what is wrong with some people. :(

Glad to hear the next day was better!!!

We Are Home At Last-- Day Seven- Rest Day

Wednesday, November 7th, Part One

To the complete opposite of the day before, I'm so excited to write about this day. It was going to be a no-parks day, but that did not mean it would be boring. Nope, not at all.

To start, we had a 10:35 breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno. I'd heard so many wonderful things about this meal, but I was mostly excited about being able to A) sleep in and B) walk down to breakfast. We were put in a small corner seat and soon a family would join us in the adjoining seat. Nobody puts baby in a corner, but she did put him right up against me so that I couldn't get out. Are we really going to start this again?

Good ol' Flynn Ryder stopped by for a chat with Jason.
Flynn1st.jpg
Rapunzel came by, too, but I can't find her picture. Then, there was Ariel. She must not have realized that she's been my favorite since I was five and wanted everyone to call me Ariel because she didn't let me take a photo with her. In retaliation, I'm not posting the one I have of her with my husband. That guppy.

Then, you guys, then! It was the moment I had been waiting for since 1987. I met Prince Eric. Being that I was Ariel as a child, my five-year-old self was going to marry Prince Eric one day. Imagine my surprise when my cousin, Ursula, actually married Eric. True story. He actually looked like Prince Eric, too. You can imagine the devastated kid that I was.

Moving on.

Eric1st.jpg
This photo is atrocious, but it's proof so. . .

TAFPastries1st.jpg TAFcalzeone1st.jpg TAFsteak1st.jpg
Our meal here was one of the absolute bests that we had during the whole vacation. The food was so good, and the pastries were just delicious. So, Jason started talking about how he wanted to eat there again. He never does that. We had one credit left over so I looked and there was availability for our departure day. I booked it, and my guy was a happy camper.

When we walked back up to the lobby, I stopped to take a few pictures. We were being picked up at 1:00 for our tour at The Polynesian for DVC, but we stopped at the DVC counter to ask if they would pick us up at The Grand Floridian instead. We could drive ourselves over, be picked up, and taken back to The Grand Floridian for our Afternoon Tea. It was arranged so we went to our room for a quick break before loading up in the car to drive to GF.

GFcourtyard.jpg
GFlobby.jpg
Is this lobby not just exquisite? I could have just stood there and stared all day.
GFpiano.jpg
Jason found Uncle Jesse's piano when he sang Forever to Aunt Becky.

Continued in next post. . . .

Last edited:
. . . Continued from last post

We wandered around the lobby and discovered they were building the gingerbread house.

GFginerbreadhouse.jpg GFgingerbread2.jpg GFgingerbreadpieces.jpg GFgingerbreadsample.jpg
We stopped in line for a sample and chatted with Ellen, "The Gingerbread Lady." She was super friendly. I asked for a photo, but she said I had to take one with her.
GFgingerbreadlady.jpg

We found a comfortable spot to settle into while we waited for our pickup. I saw this beautiful chocolate sculpture.
GFchocolateegg.jpg

We were picked up promptly in one of the DVC vans by an elderly gentleman who had been a member for 30 or so years. We told him that we had been interested in DVC for a long time, but we were really there just to gather information to make an educated decision about the future. He told us that we had to decide when the time is right and that it was perfectly okay that today would not be that day.

We were greeted at the Poly and escorted to one of the studios to meet with the DVC guide. I had never been inside a Poly room before and even without the typical bedroom furniture, it was beautiful. The view outside was nice, and I really just wanted to spend the day on the patio with a good book and cold drink. Dana was fantastic. She answered every single question we had. To my surprise, Jason was more inquisitive than I thought he would be. Not once did we feel obligated or forced to make a decision either way. She got up to give us some time alone to discuss matters. I spent that time checking out the two bathrooms and just being nosy in the kitchenette since I had never been in a DVC villa before.

When she came back and sat back down with us to ask the final question, I looked at Jason to give her the news that while we were grateful for the information, this was our last trip for a long time and it just wasn't the right time to commit.

Jason looked at her and said, "Lets do it!"
She looked at me. I blinked because I thought I was hallucinating and she said "Are you going to cry?" I wasn't sure. I really really wasn't sure. My hands flew to my mouth, I burst into laughter like a stark-raving-mad lunatic, and I grabbed his arm and said "Are you sure?"
DVCmembers.jpg
He was sure.
I knew he did this for me- for us. He gave me the anniversary present of more memories, and I could not have been more grateful. She hugged me and welcomed us home.
Yes, we were home at last.

I'm going to have to stop here, but there is so much more to tell you about this day.
Coming up: we make DVC official and have tea at The Grand.

How exciting!!!! DVC members!! :)

Also, glad you had a good breakfast at Bon Voyage--it's a hidden gem, I think. :) And your Eric was the same Eric we saw totally hitting on the waitress! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter