• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thinking of Christmas

Those are absolutely adorable. Now if I could only figure out where to store them. They would make a great additon to my outdoor Xmas scene.

Since Ontario is recommending to stay in your own house for Christmas... I have to figure out how to cook a turkey dinner for two people, where one of them only likes the meat and gravy (and everyone else's mashed potatoes, but never mama's!). Or do something else? I imagine there will be many smaller meals being made this year instead of a big family dinner. Hmm. I'll have to ponder this, I want a special meal but not sure turkey is the best choice.

I was expecting it, and my parents are dropping off Christmas/birthday gifts next week (better get to shoppers this weekend to finish their gift). I have kiddo's birthday coming up soon too, two weeks from today! Thank goodness for online shopping, as long as it all arrives on time. I want things to be special for kiddo, and relaxing for me. At least I don't have to work for two weeks over the holidays :)

Since Ontario is recommending to stay in your own house for Christmas... I have to figure out how to cook a turkey dinner for two people, where one of them only likes the meat and gravy (and everyone else's mashed potatoes, but never mama's!). Or do something else? I imagine there will be many smaller meals being made this year instead of a big family dinner. Hmm. I'll have to ponder this, I want a special meal but not sure turkey is the best choice.

I was expecting it, and my parents are dropping off Christmas/birthday gifts next week (better get to shoppers this weekend to finish their gift). I have kiddo's birthday coming up soon too, two weeks from today! Thank goodness for online shopping, as long as it all arrives on time. I want things to be special for kiddo, and relaxing for me. At least I don't have to work for two weeks over the holidays :)

@hdrolfe both my kids hate turkey and honestly my hubby and I can take it or leave it so I started making a Christmas lasagna about 10 years ago and this is what we have. Sometimes I will also throw just a turkey breast in the oven along side of it and make some stove top stuffing. My dh does like to have a boxing day turkey sandwich from that. Ask your son what he thinks about it and what he might like for Christmas dinner. Think about your favorite meal too and maybe incorporate the two things.

when I lived alone and wanted that comfort meal type thing, I would roast a cornish game hen! It's so cute and compact, but still has that special meal feel. My favourite was stuffed with some blueberries, lemon peel, sage, and thyme.

1. Purchase a turkey breast and roast that in the oven. My turkey gets all sliced up before anyone gets to see it. A good sized breast should be good for 2 meals. Last year I didn't think my turkey was big enough so I picked up a breast to round out the quantity. They are more expensive but no waste.

2 things to try (don't anyone flame me for this because they are a hit with my boys) Stove top stuffing and Betty Crocker instant potatoes. Try the potatoes with a meal before Xmas. See if he likes them. They have lots of different flavours. Add some other veggies that you both enjoy and you're all set.

I was almost thinking of having a ham this year as my sister is the only one who doesn't like ham and she may or may not be coming to my house for Christmas dinner. It is only 4 at my house and her and my Mom at her house so we will see. We are celebrating American Thanksgiving this weekend with a catered turkey meal so I won't miss out on turkey.

It will be just the four of us this year and I won’t be doing a turkey dinner. None of us are huge fans of turkey anyways so I have decided to do a roast chicken with lots of our favourite sides and store bought appetizers. And dessert of course.

Thanks all :) I will look for a turkey breast. I normally do Stove Top stuffing, he once ate it but then it was a no go. He honestly isn't that into potatoes, unless they are fries or chips. I may get some Betty Crocker ones for me, I do like them :) I will talk to him though and see what he wants to do! Steak and pasta is his favourite meal, or possible ribs (only the Swiss Chalet ones). I'll probably be doing that for supper on his birthday. We'd normally go to Swiss Chalet but I'm reluctant to go to a restaurant, though perhaps we'll order in.

Now, I hope Shoppers flyer comes out soon! I have some points to redeem this weekend :D stocking stuffers here I come!

About five years ago no one wanted to put in the effort at Thanksgiving at our house. We decided to just cook a turkey breast like others have suggested and make warm turkey sandwiches for dinner instead. We use fresh buns and fill them with cranberry sauce, stuffing, Havarti cheese, lettuce and gravy. So much easier and everyone was surprisingly really happy with this, and we have carried on this tradition ever since. Just another suggestion for those looking for an easier Christmas dinner idea, but still get a bit of the traditional flavour.

Also having to plan for a much smaller dinner this year.
I picked up a half ham this week and a tray of M&M Scalloped potatoes (very yummy!) I will glaze the ham with cloves & maple syrup and do fresh veggies oven roasted (heirloom carrots, parsnips, & brussel sprouts)
We did a turkey breast at Thanksgiving, wasn’t a fan. I will be looking out for a small turkey that I can stuff - will freeze what isn’t used within a few days.
I buy the Reser’s Main St Bistro Signature mashed potatoes- they are perfect. (each tray will feed 4 to 6 people depending on appetites). Will do a gravy and cranberry sauce.
Having both options in the house gives me some flexibility. Whatever isn’t the menu on Christmas day, will become the New Year’s eve/Day menu 😊

I usually have my DDs and their families on Christmas Eve. We have a pasta dinner or a comfort food meal. I am thinking I will still cook what I had planned - box it up and make a Christmas Eve drop off to each household. It will allow me a quick socially distancing visit with my bunch.

It is definitely going to be a different kind of Christmas... as hard as it will be not to stick to traditional ways of celebrating — I’m determined to make it happy & memorable! 🎄🎅🏻🌟

I've always hated poultry, like I couldn't even handle touching it to cook it. I was thrilled to discover I'm actually allergic and can't eat it 🤭

this is what I bought at metro last night, cooks from frozen and everyone loves it I toss about 10 lbs of taters in the instant pot, mash them and then they just sit in the pot staying warm. Won't be making that much this year!
20201125_192459.jpg

I’m not doing turkey this year. I’m not a fan of the big sit down meal anyway. Can’t say I’ll miss it. So this year we plan a really nice brunch for our Christmas Day meal—eggs, sausage, bacon, ambrosia, cinnamon bun cake, fresh fruit.

Christmas Eve will be filet of beef, but made into a sandwich bar. We will assemble our own sliders. I’ll serve chunky oven fries with the filet, as well as salad and cornichons (tiny pickles) and horseradish sauce. Cookies, egg nog and ice cream dessert.

Christmas night will be our usual—charcuterie and cheese board, salad, roasted peppers, good bread. Just a simple meal along with a movie.

Not sure if any of those ideas appeal. I’m really excited about the food this year—all of Christmas really.

I just checked Staples for the IPad I want and still no stock. Then I checked Apple and they also have no stock unless I have it shipped. So now I’m browsing the Galaxy Tabs. Staples has the one that I think counts for the StB coupon but I’m not certain it’s the right one. Not sure what to do. The Samsung is a fair bit cheaper than the IPad and really DH only watches videos on it...occasionally he FaceTimes people but he could do that on his phone too.
I've always hated poultry, like I couldn't even handle touching it to cook it. I was thrilled to discover I'm actually allergic and can't eat it 🤭

this is what I bought at metro last night, cooks from frozen and everyone loves it I toss about 10 lbs of taters in the instant pot, mash them and then they just sit in the pot staying warm. Won't be making that much this year!
View attachment 540337

This is already in our freezer! lol If we end up with just the 4 of us, that will be our dinner.

View attachment 540337
I keep those in the house all the time. They are pretty good and make for a mostly hands free dinner on a busy night if I just throw in baked potatoes and finish with veg and salad. Kids love it.

/QUOTE]
This is a great idea..... Ive been thinking the same thing, cook something different maybe. I do have left over ham and turkey in the freezer from Thanksgiving because one kid likes turkey the other ham ahhhh. I was going to throw them into a soup or something.

With Christmas being so different this year maybe our meals should be too. Make some fun out of this mess somehow. I am grateful my daughter moved back home in the spring so we are able to spend time together. Everyone who is missing their family it is heartbreaking..

I have a feeling we will not be getting together for a backyard Christmas Bonfire.
So I am in the midst of planning something else.
Middle son who lives at home said to me this morning *I'd rather skip Christmas one year than to risk losing someone in our family for all Christmases*. Smart son!
I think there will be many drive by drop offs this year.
Hmmmm maybe I could decorate my car,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Lol.

This is my brother and I years ago with my Dad's golf cart,,,we decorated it for the annual Christmas parade in Texas.
xgbMScl.jpg

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:

M&M Food Market frozen turkey breast: https://www.mmfoodmarket.com/en/our-food/4096/turkey-breast-

Real (and HUGE) turkey breast. Cook from frozen [really!!] in 75+ minutes at 375. Canadian turkeys. Note: check doneness with a proper meat thermometer; we find it usually takes some extra cooking time in our oven.

They also have a version with stuffing inside.

Buy one or two now and keep them in your deep freeze/freezer, then you always have one on hand, and you won't be trying to buy before the holiday rush when they often run out. Their new version is a standardized weight and comes in a box.

We have done this for years and highly recommend. Just the two of us, and it gives a nice amount leftovers. We recently did it for a meal for three and still had some leftovers.

Then prepare sides as desired.

SW

ETA: and if you want to totally escape the 'preparing' part, M&M also has lots of side dishes:

Mashed Potatoes: https://www.mmfoodmarket.com/en/our-food/4109/homestyle-mashed-potatoes-

Stuffing: https://www.mmfoodmarket.com/en/our-food/4097/gourmet-stuffing

Sweet potato mash: https://www.mmfoodmarket.com/en/our-food/4069/gf-sweet-potato-mash

Veggies of your choice, steamed in the microwave or however you wish to prepare.

However, if you have an Instant Pot, I recommend doing Little Potato Company potatoes in the instant pot, skins on, and then mashing them :-)

SW

Last edited:
I have a feeling we will not be getting together for a backyard Christmas Bonfire.
So I am in the midst of planning something else.
Middle son who lives at home said to me this morning *I'd rather skip Christmas one year than to risk losing someone in our family for all Christmases*. Smart son!
I think there will be many drive by drop offs this year.
View attachment 540469
Hmmmm maybe I could decorate my car,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Lol.

This is my brother and I years ago with my Dad's golf cart,,,we decorated it for the annual Christmas parade in Texas.
xgbMScl.jpg

Hugs
Mel
My daughter said the same thing! Good kids!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter