• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

This Can't Be Right...You MUST use a TS credit for everyone if on DDP

I think those were rogue CMs, or there was a misunderstanding. My husband and I have been on the DDP our last three trips and have paid OOP for one or two additional meals every time without any issues. Our typical experience has been that the server will ask if we are on the DDP prior to taking our order. We tell them we are not on the DDP ("No, paying with a credit card.") if we're paying OOP to help alleviate any confusion.

I know things can change but we split a dxddp credit there in November 2014 and have often paid OOP while being on the DDP. It seems likely to be an error.

I haven't been there since December but in the past they would ask if I was using the dining plan when I showed up for my reservation. I'm interested in knowing if this is a policy change. This sounds like a CM that wanted the gratuity for a full meal.

For us going in a couple weeks, i'll just make sure I have some extra cash in hand and not let the CM scan my band if I want to pay OOP and this comes up.

they always ask at every restaurant if you are on the dining plan. This is so they can ring up the meals as dining plan meals, and so the server can explain the DDP if needed. You could just say "no I am not using the dining plan" but if they scan your band, can't they see that you are? Which would mean no paying for the meal with the band.

they always ask at every restaurant if you are on the dining plan. This is so they can ring up the meals as dining plan meals, and so the server can explain the DDP if needed. You could just say "no I am not using the dining plan" but if they scan your band, can't they see that you are? Which would mean no paying for the meal with the band.

But it doesn't matter if you're on the DDP. You can still CHOOSE to pay cash for a meal. During our 2012 trip I paid cash for one meal (we had free dining) and I wanted to do the luau, so we paid cash for Tony's (our cheapest TS meal)

I found this on Disney park moms panel. Hope its not true. We are planning to share some meal at some TS restaurants :(
image.jpg

Last edited:
I found this on Disney park moms panel, don't know if she is accurate.
That's great info, but in this case the person told the CM numerous times they were NOT using the DDP for this meal and were paying OOP. So this shouldn't apply... This thread worries me as well as I booked 10 ADR's but am only allowed 6 with my free DDP. I picked the cheapest ones and ones I can get a Disney Visa discount on to pay OOP and I will not be happy if I run into these same CM's! I'm not planning on hitting B&C though, I wanted to, just couldn't get an ADR.

The DDP seems like a red herring here...reading the OP, it seems the CM were saying they couldn't use a ADR just for dessert...that would be a change in policy.

But I agree this all seems odd, especially since it didn't come from a manager. I would definitely have demanded a manager, even if they had to get one from the hotel. Even if the CM's were in earnest, I doubt they had the policy right.

Knowing this, I would not "hide" my magic bands, I would simply hand them a credit card and tell them there is no way in hell they are scanning my band. If they insist on it I would tell them they are welcome to call the police and then they can explain to them that they are refusing to take my money. Bizarre.

Last November, we had an ADR at Beaches and Cream for 8 people, we shared the kitchen sink and all had drinks, we were on the DDP, but chose to pay put of pocket, we had no problem. We attempted to share a meal at coral reef and was told we had to each order if using DDP credits.

now that is interesting. The only restaurant reported to have "no sharing credits' as a hard and fast rule is Via Napoli. Coral Reef never came up.

I know the DP is great for some folks, but gee whiz there is so much confusion over it. I hope everyone gets to use their credits as they wish, and we've learned something here today: There's always a manager on site. That's good to know. :earsboy:

Agreed, there would be a manager around someplace. I would have demanded to speak to one and informed the cast member that I would be more than willing to sit there and wait. Yes, the DDP can confuse guest and CMs alike, but that was a pretty major one, especially considering the 2nd CM was supposed to have been more experienced. There was either a serious miscommunication between the guests and the CMs or the 2 CMs had some sort of game going on to either get a bigger tip or just to be jerks.
I have had the DDP and plan to again, but I never tie a credit card to my room for charging. Even leaving out the opportunity for dishonesty, its just way to easy for a mistake to be made that will require time and effort to correct later. Fact of the matter is, I rarely use a credit card at all for purchases in the parks, both for security and making sure I stay on my budget.

I found this on Disney park moms panel. Hope its not true. We are planning to share some meal at some TS restaurants :(
View attachment 114823

The Moms Panel is wrong almost ALL the time.

Yep, Moms Panel is about as unreliable as most internet. Disney doesn't even bother to double check what they post and a lot of them are totally clueless LOL!

I still think that this was CMs who were "making up a rule so we get more money"

Knowing this, I would not "hide" my magic bands, I would simply hand them a credit card and tell them there is no way in hell they are scanning my band. If they insist on it I would tell them they are welcome to call the police and then they can explain to them that they are refusing to take my money. Bizarre.

by giving them a cc and not letting them scan your MB, that was what was implied in my post...if you were confused.....if they don't hae a band to scan, how else are they gonna get payment?

by giving them a cc and not letting them scan your MB, that was what was implied in my post...if you were confused.....if they don't hae a band to scan, how else are they gonna get payment?

Nope. Not confused. I was referring to others who expressed thoughts of taking off/hiding their bands before going in.

You wouldn't need to hide your MB. Anyone can have a MB. It doesn't automatically mean you are on the DDP.
Simply tell the CM you are not on the dining plan when they ask. If you plan to pay OOP, they have no reason to know that you are on the DDP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter