• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This doesn’t sound good (EMH going away?)

Ah, i remember when EMH was offered either in the morning or evening at one park virtually every single day of the year, I miss those days.

Isn’t pretty close to that now? The difference is there are four parks. And like many have said, I think HS is going to have some sort of EMH nearly daily once SWGE opens, much like AK did with Pandora.

I think the concerns and complaints are specifically directed at the Magic Kingdom. Although Disney wants people to consider all parks equal, very few consider an Epcot EMH the equivalent of a MK one. So while I think WDW probably has as many total EMH as they have in recent memory, the number at MK has dwindled. And while we may all like other parks, most feel MK remains the centerpiece of WDW. When access to it is reduced, it feels like the overall experience is reduced even if the availability park wide is static or even increased.

Isn’t pretty close to that now? The difference is there are four parks. And like many have said, I think HS is going to have some sort of EMH nearly daily once SWGE opens, much like AK did with Pandora.

I think the concerns and complaints are specifically directed at the Magic Kingdom. Although Disney wants people to consider all parks equal, very few consider an Epcot EMH the equivalent of a MK one. So while I think WDW probably has as many total EMH as they have in recent memory, the number at MK has dwindled. And while we may all like other parks, most feel MK remains the centerpiece of WDW. When access to it is reduced, it feels like the overall experience is reduced even if the availability park wide is static or even increased.

I've only looked at the times for our trip in June...for the entire week we are there, DAK and DHS do not offer evening magic hours. They do however offer paid for after hour events for both of those parks during that time period.

But do they have mornings? That’s what the post I was responding to said, that nearly every day something had an EMH of some sort. That had been my experience, but I admit I didn’t look through to know for sure.

But do they have mornings? That’s what the post I was responding to said, that nearly every day something had an EMH of some sort. That had been my experience, but I admit I didn’t look through to know for sure.

yup...that was the case a few years ago also, we could hit a morning and evening at all four parks in a weeks time frame. Morning hours aren't a new thing

Like i noted in another post, over a week period, you could get 12 hours of Evening MH between the parks, for our trip in June, thats down to 4 hours, 2 in MK and 2 in EPCOT.

Based what I am seeing for June, there is a EMH every day at one park and every park has at least one EMH.

Mondays - DAK Morning EMH
Tuesdays - Epcot Evening EMH
Wednesdays - MK Evening EMH
Thursdays - Epcot Morning EMH
Fridays - MK Morning EMH
Saturdays - DAK Morning EMH
Sundays - DHS Morning EMH

Based what I am seeing for June, there is a EMH every day at one park and every park has at least one EMH.

Mondays - DAK Morning EMH
Tuesdays - Epcot Evening EMH
Wednesdays - MK Evening EMH
Thursdays - Epcot Morning EMH
Fridays - MK Morning EMH
Saturdays - DAK Morning EMH
Sundays - DHS Morning EMH

Another site has historical park hours on them. All parks had morning and evening magic hours any given week.
2010 June hours

MK
Extra Magic Hours
MORNING - June 1,3,8,10,15,17,22,24,29
EVENING - June 4,6,11,13,18,20,25,27

epcot
Extra Magic Hours
MORNING - June 6,13,20,27
EVENING - June 1,3,8,10,15,17,22,24,29

DHS
Extra Magic Hours
MORNING - June 4,9,11,14,18,21,25,28
EVENING - June 2,7,16,23,30

DAK
Extra Magic Hours
MORNING - June 2,5,7,12,16,19,23,26,30
EVENING - June 9,14,21,28

It is for returning guests. I can remember going at Thanksgiving and there being a morning EMH in one park every day and there being a night EMH in one park every day. How long has it been since they had that? And it doesn't matter how many people will be happy with more morning hours, it is still the losing of a perk that used to be and trading it for something that has to be paid for.
But it could be argued they’re just trading perks. There are many new expensive attractions, more morning hours, some added dining experiences, updated & new hotels, and more new experiences coming. Perhaps you don’t prefer the changes, but many still see value in their expensive ticket b/c of these things.

Another site has historical park hours on them. All parks had morning and evening magic hours any given week.
2010 June hours

MK
Extra Magic Hours
MORNING - June 1,3,8,10,15,17,22,24,29
EVENING - June 4,6,11,13,18,20,25,27

epcot
Extra Magic Hours
MORNING - June 6,13,20,27
EVENING - June 1,3,8,10,15,17,22,24,29

DHS
Extra Magic Hours
MORNING - June 4,9,11,14,18,21,25,28
EVENING - June 2,7,16,23,30

DAK
Extra Magic Hours
MORNING - June 2,5,7,12,16,19,23,26,30
EVENING - June 9,14,21,28

Not only were PM EMH plentiful in 2010, they were 3 hours and went until 2 or 3 in the AM.

Not only are PM EMH only 1 night per week at MK this summer, the parks are closing before midnight every night. They may extend 1 or 2 nights down the line, but the fact remains that the park are open for less hours in 2019 v 2010. (And my AP is nearly double)

But it could be argued they’re just trading perks. There are many new expensive attractions, more morning hours, some added dining experiences, updated & new hotels, and more new experiences coming. Perhaps you don’t prefer the changes, but many still see value in their expensive ticket b/c of these things.

Updated hotels that we will pay for and probably at a premium price is not a perk. But we get to pay premium prices at a new hotel with less perks than we had at the old hotels.

Dining experiences are not a perk. Its a service/product you pay for. Again at a premium price.

Neither of these are included in those expensive ticket prices.

Already had morning EMH, that isn't added. How many were offered used to depend on the week. Busier weeks had more (Thanksgiving week had one every day) PLUS extra hours added at night at MK and Epcot and sometimes the other two.

New attractions, I will give you that.

I am happy for those that see value in their tickets. Great for them! That doesn't make any of us that do not wrong. That doesn't make our opinion less. And it does make one wonder, how many things have to go the way side before those that no longer see the value out number those that do (and before you or someone says it, yes there will forever be first time visitors)

Not only were PM EMH plentiful in 2010, they were 3 hours and went until 2 or 3 in the AM.

Not only are PM EMH only 1 night per week at MK this summer, the parks are closing before midnight every night. They may extend 1 or 2 nights down the line, but the fact remains that the park are open for less hours in 2019 v 2010. (And my AP is nearly double)

I can't tell you how many nights we had where we stayed up real late in the MK walking around from ride to ride. There's just something magical about that park at night.

I can't tell you how many nights we had where we stayed up real late in the MK walking around from ride to ride. There's just something magical about that park at night.

Amen!!!!

I don’t have a dog in this fight. I’m going in June & Labor Day. Once my AP is up, we’re done for a few years again while they build more things. So unless FP dramatically changes (and it may) I get to finish status quo. But as someone who just went after a 5 year break, prices are SIGNIFICANTLY higher for everything (water, CS food, resorts, tickets). It was noticeable as I first ran pricing.

Amen!!!!

I don’t have a dog in this fight. I’m going in June & Labor Day. Once my AP is up, we’re done for a few years again while they build more things. So unless FP dramatically changes (and it may) I get to finish status quo. But as someone who just went after a 5 year break, prices are SIGNIFICANTLY higher for everything (water, CS food, resorts, tickets). It was noticeable as I first ran pricing.

We go yearly, but like you we're going in June and in August on APs, they aren't getting renewed. We've decided to take 2020 off from disney, we'll see about 2021. The price increases are noticeable when you go yearly, i can't imagine the sticker shock after taking a 5 year break.

We go yearly, but like you we're going in June and in August on APs, they aren't getting renewed. We've decided to take 2020 off from disney, we'll see about 2021. The price increases are noticeable when you go yearly, i can't imagine the sticker shock after taking a 5 year break.

On the plus side, we got try (and fall in love with) a new resort- CSR. But deluxe wasn’t in the budget for Presidents Day.

Every day there is either a morning or evening EMH offered at ONE of the four parks.
The problem with that is that means there is only one EMH offered PER WEEK for some of the parks. It is hard to schedule around that.

For those who want to take advantage of scheduling your park days 180 days in advance (to line up with your ADRs) -- EMH may not be a very useful perk.

I am going for four nights in September. Arrive Monday and probably have park days Tuesday-Friday (if we choose to go to a park on checkout day).
I don't have any options for DHS or AK EMH in those four days. But I do have some options for Epcot/MK (2 each) . .that I may take advantage of. Though - with little kids - only the morning ones are even an option. So .. unless I plan on going to MK on Friday morning, EMH is a worthless perk to me. If they didn't offer it, I probably wouldn't notice or care.
(If I was going without kids, I would probably plan around EMH though -- just depends on your family).

When I went in March -- there were more paid events offered (morning and evening) in all the parks than there were EMH offered. That is telling there.

Nope, only offered three days of the week and mostly morning EMH during our trip.

I think there are a few variables at work here.

I think that most will agree, over time, things generally become more expensive. Certainly Disney is more expensive than it was 10 or 20 years ago. That is the nature of the beast.

Some object to the fact that it is getting more expensive.....and certain "free" perks are no longer free, or are just eliminated.

I think what we are seeing is there was a lot of hidden value when you bought a disney vacation package. Services were offered for free as a perk.
Many complained to disney that vacations are too expensive. Disney understands this.
Reality is that many of these "free" perks, are not really free. They are built into the budget that you are paying for your lodging and ticket package. People complain that it costs too much, and I don't go the the emh anyway, why should I pay for them? I don't park here, I don't bring a car, why should I pay for it?
My opinion is they are moving more towards a la cart pricing, pay for what you want, an not for what you won't use.
It's pretty much a shell game. Somebody has to pay for Pandora, SWGE, Toy Story Land, the rat ride, guardians and so on.

Ultimately it comes down to whether you enjoyed yourself or not, and if it was worth the money you paid to do it. 6-7 months being made aware of a change is enough notice for you to decide to skip the trip or not.
Prices will continue to rise until people stop showing up. At the rate people are showing up, they feel they can alienate some along the way. A year from now a family shows up to Disney for their 1st ever trip. They don't know a darn thing about the past. They have a blast, and they look at their bill and shrug it off "most expensive day ever". It was worth it to them at that baseline. It's a never ending cycle.

It's a never ending cycle.

the cycle does end though, and hopefully disney is planning for it, or they are going to hurt really bad from it. At the end of the day WDW is a tourist destination, tourism is one of the things hit the hardest when the economy is hurting. I'm not wishing for it, I'm just saying that a bad economy will really hurt them this time around.

the cycle does end though, and hopefully disney is planning for it, or they are going to hurt really bad from it. At the end of the day WDW is a tourist destination, tourism is one of the things hit the hardest when the economy is hurting. I'm not wishing for it, I'm just saying that a bad economy will really hurt them this time around.

And Disney will start discounting and adding perks once it does happen. Occupancy has been high even as they have pulled back on perks and charged more. They are going to pull back even more to test the waters. That's how tourism driven companies work. You may not like it but its never going to change.

You threw 2010 back at me for evening EMH hour comparisons. We were going through the worst economic situation since the great depression at that time. People were losing their homes as the housing market tanked and adjustable rate mortgages ballooned out of control. The term staycation was created during that time. Disney needed to entice people especially Florida residents to book into their rooms.

I think there are a few variables at work here.

I think that most will agree, over time, things generally become more expensive. Certainly Disney is more expensive than it was 10 or 20 years ago. That is the nature of the beast.

Some object to the fact that it is getting more expensive.....and certain "free" perks are no longer free, or are just eliminated.

I think what we are seeing is there was a lot of hidden value when you bought a disney vacation package. Services were offered for free as a perk.
Many complained to disney that vacations are too expensive. Disney understands this.
Reality is that many of these "free" perks, are not really free. They are built into the budget that you are paying for your lodging and ticket package. People complain that it costs too much, and I don't go the the emh anyway, why should I pay for them? I don't park here, I don't bring a car, why should I pay for it?
My opinion is they are moving more towards a la cart pricing, pay for what you want, an not for what you won't use.
It's pretty much a shell game. Somebody has to pay for Pandora, SWGE, Toy Story Land, the rat ride, guardians and so on.

Ultimately it comes down to whether you enjoyed yourself or not, and if it was worth the money you paid to do it. 6-7 months being made aware of a change is enough notice for you to decide to skip the trip or not.
Prices will continue to rise until people stop showing up. At the rate people are showing up, they feel they can alienate some along the way. A year from now a family shows up to Disney for their 1st ever trip. They don't know a darn thing about the past. They have a blast, and they look at their bill and shrug it off "most expensive day ever". It was worth it to them at that baseline. It's a never ending cycle.
Very well put. And we have no way of knowing if prices would be even higher for everyone if they didn’t have these a la carte options that some ppl don’t mind paying for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter