"This is a special place"-Feb 2019 WDW & Cruise-COMPLETED (finally) 6/29!

Sounds like you had a nice day at DAK. Sorry the safari driver was subpar. At least you got some nice shots of the tigers and gibbons afterwards!

I've never been to Tiffin's (or Nomad's), but it's on my list. The theming and decor in the restaurant look absolutely stunning. It's always great when you can take someone to a place you love and show them why you speak so highly of it. ::yes::

Ok, Huge Huge Huge apologies for leaving this TR in the dust! Just some things going on in the world, if you didn't know! :headache: :headache: :headache: I've basically been home for months on end. It was weird - I came back from WDW on a Monday, was in the office that week, then everything started shutting down that weekend and I've been home ever since! And since I'm basically sitting at home on my laptop all day long, it is hard to want to pick it up to work on my Trip Reports! But now I think I'm ready, so I want to get this one done, also my Asia trip, and then start in on NYE and the Feb/March WDW/Cruise trip!

Obviously our family Alaska cruise was cancelled. We are currently booked in August 2021. Timing is hard next year with my sister's law school graduation and taking the bar. We have considered switching to the Norway September 2021, but that could be even harder timing wise (though it is significantly cheaper).

I am booked on a September Castaway Cay Double Dip cruise with @chunkymonkey, so hopefully that will happen! I do have a 1-night DVC room the day before, but even if my AP is extended over those dates, I don't plan on going to the parks on the trip. I have found doing the cruise after WDW means I'm so exhausted it's hard to truly enjoy the cruise, especially the beginning!

Anyways, on with my trip report from almost 18 months ago...yelp!

**Quick thing - this is going to be delayed while I fix my images on imgur! I uploaded them so long ago that now it's all broken!​

Day 4 - Clockwise around the showcase, with a side of art
February 9, 2019

Today was another Epcot day, with a focus on the World Showcase from France – Mexico. (We did Future World and UK-Canada on our first day.)

3u65ZUk.jpg
wj0YbR6.jpg
T91FArL.jpg

No photopass person yet, so we made do ourselves!

qFB2MFv.jpg
FnG6Ami.jpg

For breakfast we went to Les Halles Boulangerie, which was Yum! Mom wanted a savory and sweet pastry, so we both ended up coming out with two pastries – a bit of a mistake as it made me too full to try other food booths!

Mom got a chocolate croissant and some type of mini-quiche. I got the Roule Lard et Fromage (Bacon and Cheese roll) and the chocolate chip meringue. The roll was very good and I’ll happily get again; the meringue was a bit too sweet for me, which says a lot, considering! I believe mom liked both of her choices.

w8v7qmS.jpg

We saw the first of the Figment paintings, so we tried to track down most of them (without buying the map).

SCcyrFK.jpg

And I spied some more wall chalk paintings

b217C1c.jpg
amQBNgp.jpg
Ho9awtE.jpg

We tried to take a good photo of my mom with Blue Boy Figment, since that is one of the paintings she visits when she gives kids tours of the Huntington Garden. Though the sun wasn’t helping things to get a good shot!

fBETAuS.jpg

Mural was getting all set up to paint, but we had 20 minutes to wait, so we moved on.

oziWUaG.jpg

Onto Norway for Frozen Ever After (with a fastpass). We liked the ride, though Mom didn’t like getting wet! But I love the photo of her going down the drop! I don't think she was expecting it! (Also a guy sitting behind us decided to sing Let it Go on and off the whole ride… very annoying!)

ScmCOz2.jpg
SGstNNj.jpg

Found another Figment!

cyWwoQO.jpg

And checked out the Gods of Norway exhibit afterwards. It was pretty interesting.

0EqaJSc.jpg
xUzWKRh.jpg
1KPO8GJ.jpg

And another photopass!

HoPTiMm.jpg
rD046bY.jpg
nB9IFqM.jpg

Backtracked to Mexico, with a stop to try and get a Frida Kahlo shot.

DRSz9YO.jpg

I think Gran Fiesta Tour is the only thing mom remembers from Epcot in the 1980s and that wasn’t a good memory)! I really wish it would get changed into Coco. I don’t have photos from the ride itself, so I don’t remember if we actually rode! (I think we must have though)

JxZQz1d.jpg

I tried the make you a skeleton thing, but it didn’t really pick up on any changes of expression, so I just got this image 3x in my photopass account!

wRwxlQ1.jpg

Another Figment

Vv0AqmP.jpg

Reactions: DLo
Onto China. I was curious how mom would like this one since she studied in China for months during Grad School (she majored in East Asian Studies and still knows some Chinese)

xwBL2w9.jpg
tkUKlOq.jpg

Checked out the sugar painting lollipops. But too expensive to buy! I think they were charging like $15 for a simple one and more for the detailed ones! I did get to try them in Shanghai when they had them for "free" at a buffet and was glad I didn't spend all that money on one at Epcot! I did like the set-up though, so you could see what the artist was doing.

9l80tzu.jpg
2LUaFTi.jpg

Saw the movie – definitely needs updating! Skipped the shop as it’s all cheap stuff. Hey, at least most of it is authentically made in China!

And another Figment. Some of these were pretty hard to find as this one was on a back wall under an awning

7ty1dJ1.jpg
4ZtmIgL.jpg

And some Mulan wall chalk paintings

gPnt3NG.jpg
LUrEmft.jpg
asfK3eJ.jpg

Headed over to African outpost – considered getting the painted toms for my sister but $$.

fPDPTYZ.jpg
CctCdoZ.jpg
6KkEn76.jpg

More chalk guys – I really loved these additions!

Oy1uIo7.jpg

Loved the jewelry made out of various seeds. Though I didn’t get any. If they have them this year, maybe I will! (Update - I didn't see them, so unfortunately didn't get one)

1yc5LUi.jpg
u98AUUW.jpg

Germany band was finishing up. They were very funny (Delta Q). Hope to see them again!

bDL5yry.jpg

Got some food from Germany stop.

Mom got the Seared Corvina with braised Ratatouille and Lemon-Thyme Beurre Blanc, I got the Red Wine-braised Beef Short Rib with Parsnip Purée, Broccolini, Baby Tomatoes and Aged Balsamic and the Saint-Honoré Tart: Caramel Cream Tart with Caramel Glaze topped with Cream Puffs. Everything was really good, though neither of us had the biggest appetite since breakfast was so big.

GXPApjT.jpg
JJ7XzwE.jpg
Y2FXpWH.jpg

Another character painting

2LRd0DD.jpg

It took forever to find all of the Pascal chalk guys! They were well camouflaged! And the Figment painting was also well hidden!

jJvglob.jpg
0zKzWhm.jpg
jeszmrX.jpg
Yz6zCJa.jpg

Walked around the stores a bit and mom really liked a lot of merch but didn’t end up buying anything.

There was an art booth with lots of Star Wars paintings, but it was all too expensive for me.

i3Q9Tdc.jpg
ofdQ5hW.jpg
CR8MXT5.jpg
PUBeM1B.jpg

Mom checked out model trains a bit.

kmFjghQ.jpg

And we took advantage of the various photo opps, though there was no photopass person at the “mermaid” one.

cHb4yrU.jpg
rAZM0Pf.jpg
pXowcZx.jpg
TMf7Mgq.jpg

In Italy we walked around. Don’t really love the store there: too $$.

alTNC2F.jpg
b4kOgHA.jpg

And of course, Figment, as well as Jiminy Cricket

fhfZPud.jpg
ddLc4xY.jpg
BtK8qpP.jpg

Got a photo on bridge because I haven’t see any photopass person there. Person in front of us was being soo annoying and asking the photographer bunches of unnecessary and detailed questions. One of her friends tried to get her to move along, but she kept asking. People in front of us gave up. I’m happy we stayed for this magic shot, thought it would be Mickey or Tink, but it ended up being Figaro, who I love! Unfortunately the lighting isn’t the best, but oh well.

j5W2WY3.jpg
ZkszDDJ.jpg

America – had missed the start of Voices of Liberty, which I thought mom would like. However, as we walk in, she’s like: “I HATE this type of music!”. Oh, ok! I offered American Adventure, which was going to start soon enough, but she wasn’t all that interested, so we skipped it too.

THUPEF9.jpg
aySJu1o.jpg

Another photo opp

xkZ4hG2.jpg

And a quick food booth stop where I got the Beef Wellington with Mushroom Bordelaise, Fennel Cream, and Roasted Baby Vegetables. It was ok, but there was an overwhelming thyme flavor for the beef itself, which I didn’t love.

XzSUCFX.jpg

I looked at some artwork in various booths (mom needed to sit down for a bit).

desNRsb.jpg
ziNyFjz.jpg
veK1dZH.jpg
tZeDrJm.jpg
qNITE3S.jpg
XW7Y7jd.jpg
HQdGs7h.jpg
kYbYRcF.jpg

We did pick up a shirt in the Japan pavilion for Joey’s souvenir. And walked around the store a bit (but I didn’t take photos).

5HPCRin.jpg

And a stop in Japan for photopass, of course!

AxG98ul.jpg
iunKjMI.jpg

We then stopped in the French Pavilion, for, what else, photopass! And I think the photographer took an insane number of photos!

uZsllIc.jpg
iPYx92k.jpg
8452x4N.jpg
jZyuUSj.jpg

Mom wanted a photo here – I think she really liked this painting when we saw it in person in Paris!

yJ0AlJd.jpg

We also wandered thru some stores, and mom liked a lot of the merch, but didn’t get any.

v7mTJ5w.jpg

Some chalk guys I missed in the morning.

cI9hivR.jpg
CRuK6dm.jpg

Mom saw the sign for Serveur Amusement, so wanted to watch that. I put her in the perfect front row spot and then went to get the Frosé: Frozen Côtes de Provence Rosé Wine with Grey Goose Vodka and Peach Purée, which was delicious. I wanted to get some of the food items, but was too full from breakfast/snacking (I probably could have done it though).

IYQ4VyE.jpg

And when I went back to the show, mom had basically decided she didn’t want to be at front so moved herself behind the crowd. Oh well! But she loved the show and it was hilarious as always. She took a couple sips of slush and really liked it.

uN5BYkG.jpg

Of course, more photopass – this is a Lesley TR after all!

86YvK9J.jpg
Nct55XP.jpg
da7skSI.jpg

Some more character paintings

z4lafiB.jpg
bX2UIg7.jpg

And another photo opp. I used the remains of my slushy as a prop!

4y4JT2o.jpg
S5iwIgB.jpg

Went to watch Impressions of France – first time since visiting this past summer, so it was nice seeing all these places I had just gone to! Again, I feel it needs some updating (but the overall feel should stay the same).

Before heading back to the resort, we stopped for some quick souvenir shopping – Mom got a small purse from the UK shop and then decided to get everyone else a shirt as their souvenir (Lauren got Winnie the Pooh, Anthony got something from Canada, Joey got the Ramen Party shirt, and then a Monty Python shirt for dad).

We tried again for the Figment Blue Boy, but it was worse than before ☹ Those damn glass windows!

Okn4huA.jpg
73ic5eQ.jpg

And now we headed back to the resort for a little break!

Coming up (soon I promise): Epcot evening with Broadway and Illuminations

OMG! I love all the pictures of you and your mom! What a fun time together! They cancelled our photopass purchase for our upcoming November trip... but I hope they bring that service back by then!

Loving your TR! Can't wait to hear about your cruise! :sail:

Sounds like a great time in World Showcase and enjoying Festival of the Arts!!
Yeah it was cool to see all the art!
OMG! I love all the pictures of you and your mom! What a fun time together! They cancelled our photopass purchase for our upcoming November trip... but I hope they bring that service back by then!

Loving your TR! Can't wait to hear about your cruise! :sail:
I definitely hope they do! I didn't even realize they had cancelled people's orders!

Day 4, Part 2 - Stormalong, Broadway, Illuminations

Time to go back to the resort for a break. And I finally got to check out the pool area (though it would have been better weather-wise to do it the previous Epcot day, but you never know)!

First – I took us a bad way around. It looks like a path but I guess it’s not? (And I’m not the only one as I witnessed @StarWarsMomofGirls! family doing that in May 2019 when they were staying there) Luckily there was a door I could use to get back into the building so we didn’t have to hop a fence! And despite the notice about the slide refurbishment, it was back open! I rode it 2-3 times (I can’t remember – those stairs are exhausting to walk up). It’s very fun. But not a game changer for me. (I actually prefer the Boardwalk pool and slide.)

YmmMqw0.jpg

I explored a bit – the lazy river was deep! Hot tub is fine but a bit too exposed to people just walking by. I relaxed for a bit. And caught up to mom who had dozed on a chair. The skies weren’t looking too promising, but luckily there was just a scattered misting, so the pool didn’t close.

So, while I do like Stormalong Bay, I’m not planning any trip to stay at BC/YC/BCV just because of it. It was more fun in May when I got to hang out with my Epic Roomies and Ariella's family, but I think that was more about hanging with great friends in a pool!

We went back to the room and got a bit cleaned up. And back to Epcot for evening! We ended up stopping at two food booths – Mom got her food from Morocco, the Mediterranean Flatbread with Zaatar, Olive Oil Artichoke, Olives, Mozzarella and Feta Cheese, and the Chebbakia: Hand-twisted Strips of Fried Dough coated with Honey, Rosewater and Sesame Seeds. I tried a Chebbakia and nearly spit it out! Way too overpowering of a rosewater flavor! But mom seemed to like it!

6af1aAb.jpg
3b50VWO.jpg

I went to Japan where I got the Sushi Donut: Donut-shaped Sushi featuring Salmon, Tuna, Shrimp, Avocado and Masago accented with Citrus-soy Gelée and Wasabi on the side , which was pretty good. Not as good as proper sushi, but still fun. I did want to stop at the France booth to grab some food items, but the line was too long.

FDMNNNu.jpg

We ended up eating at one of the Japan benches, but I actually sat on the ground so I could use the bench as a table! Worked out pretty well actually!

M422AWw.jpg

And while we were eating, we got to briefly see Zach and his dad. They had gone to the 1st Broadway concert and were headed to ESPN Zone for dinner and to watch a game (can’t remember which one). So we said hi and bye! Forgot to get a photo though!

Mom and I were going to go to the 2nd Broadway concert, but there was still time, so we wandered around the Morocco pavilion.

viWBbD1.jpg

This Figment was definitely hard to identify!

kr8BLeO.jpg

But I loved Abu!

KeuZfxE.jpg

RIP Illuminations Globe. While I didn’t love you, it was unfortunate about your final fate.

NW0VExz.jpg

We easily got a good spot for the Broadway concert, which was with Ariella Jacobs and Adam Jacobs, a brother/sister pair. They were definitely very talented and the Aladdin songs were nice. But, I wasn’t a huge fan of how much the show focused on things like High School Musical and Freaky Friday – I would have preferred more songs from the classic shows, but I guess that was the way this show went. There were some very enthusiastic people in the crowd though – some younger women who were just going crazy about those songs, and a guy behind us who was waaay too enthusiastic! But overall, a nice concert. (But it doesn't compare to the amazing Broadway concert I got to see a year later, but I'll get to that...eventually.)

Ch7mDg5.jpg
m0AmO9G.jpg
Q5yMadE.jpg

We continued around the showcase, of course stopping for photopass pictures!

VRoWRiL.jpg

It ended up being a VERY windy day, so I wasn’t sure if our next plans would change, but they ended up holding up. Time for the Frozen Dessert Party. I figured this would be a good way to see Illuminations in a relaxed environment.

khhJ0Kr.jpg
BMtQ4e4.jpg
g1YLt3l.jpg
yoEwKiw.jpg

The dessert party is reserved seating. We had a table for 5 – a couple, mom and me, and an individual. The couple was perfectly nice. The guy – he was something else. Total idiot. And just very full of himself. I tried to block it out of my memory so don’t even remember what exactly he said (I know he tried to name drop, or act like he knew everyone which I knew wasn't the case), but when he got up once I said to the other girl – what lovely dining companion and she laughed pretty hard!

VP1DhsV.jpg

Anyways, the food itself was very good. I think I had several plates with cheese fondue… no shame! (Well, remember I only had a sushi donut for my dinner so far.) In terms of dessert parties, I did like this one, and would consider doing it again for HarmonioUS. The food had a good selection of relatively unique items and show viewing was good.

aa9Fot4.jpg
nO8V8Ku.jpg
cf3TYfQ.jpg
AuZPdgZ.jpg
NOdq4NZ.jpg
4eJBhzH.jpg
ETt1fpS.jpg
QMdMf0F.jpg
dttnmou.jpg
N2SdQIF.jpg
NKpffUn.jpg

I do appreciate how they have cans of soda at Epcot and DHS. I wish they would have that in MK too! I know I tried some of the specialty drinks, but I think I stuck to mostly Coke at the end.

RWznydh.jpg
2tlePEW.jpg

And I loved the liquid nitrogen mousse! (It was Birthday Cake flavored)

IM8IOaN.jpg

The S’mores bread pudding was yummy. The other one I don’t think I tried.

cHucDAB.jpg

We got fun paper glasses to turn lights and fireworks into snowflakes. Which I also used on the DHS fireworks which we could see in the distance (the fireworks are in the second photo; it was just Epcot lights in the first one)!

Uzo9TsV.jpg
fPsS2fs.jpg

The view was wonderful, especially being able to remain seated. And it was interesting because we were seated near the Mexico/Germany Friendship dock, where show personnel hang out, including someone who uses a speedboat to attach the globe before rushing away before fireworks start up again! It did start to drizzle during the show, but nothing too bad.

hqRZPMj.jpg
eiAZVCM.jpg
UOcxj43.jpg
FOsLXzw.jpg

Using snowflake glasses

kgWVVVG.jpg
0CP1zzO.jpg
xuCSiWD.jpg

Afterwards, we got a ride on FEA, which was fun as always (and this time no person singing in our ear)!

1p2PDJc.jpg

We decided to take the country route around the showcase, about the same distance to the IG as the plaza route. Bridge was up which was a surprise, but they lowered it quickly.

FpXuHa0.jpg

Made our way past America and noticed lights on and people on stage. I realized it was 4 singers, which meant it was the special performance that happened on the last day of the Festival with Ashley Brown, Josh Strickland, and two other performers, but I don't remember who, but I think they were from Lion King. So it was cool to see them practicing!

ZqBCtpb.jpg

We would have stuck around for more, but I didn’t know if the IG closed 1 hr after park close or 1 hr after Illuminations, so I didn’t want to chance it. (It's crazy looking at these construction pictures to see how far they've come)

KBMMVIw.jpg
VigAgrF.jpg
94DikqE.jpg

Back to resort and pack up everything for the cruise!
Some Festival of arts thoughts:
-fun, lots of good exhibits and art. Interesting workshops but unfortunately none when we were there.
-food was decent but $$.
-I still prefer Flower and Garden.

I think these are my festival rankings now that I’ve been to them all:

• Flower and garden
  • Festival of holidays
  • Festival of arts
  • Food and wine (not enough food things I like)

Coming up - Our Disney Cruise!

I am hoping they have the Festival of the Holidays this year. It will be my first time going in December. ( canceling my September trip ). I agree about Flower and Garden being the best ! I did the Frozen dessert party about two years ago and enjoyed it. I was solo but got lucky and my table was another female solo traveler and two sisters . All were nice and we had a good conversation.
Hope you get to go on your Sept cruise .
Looks like a good couple of EPCOT days.

I am hoping they have the Festival of the Holidays this year. It will be my first time going in December. ( canceling my September trip ). I agree about Flower and Garden being the best ! I did the Frozen dessert party about two years ago and enjoyed it. I was solo but got lucky and my table was another female solo traveler and two sisters . All were nice and we had a good conversation.
Hope you get to go on your Sept cruise .
Looks like a good couple of EPCOT days.
Yeah, I hope they do to for your sake! I really liked Festival of the Holidays.

Day 5 – Welcome to the Wonder
February 10, 2019

9AEWl17.jpg

I forgot to take photos of all the navigators and couldn’t find our exact cruise on DCL blog, so this is from the cruise the week after us, which I think was pretty similar!
https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...-cruise-from-port-canaveral-february-17-2019/
This morning we woke up to a pretty rainy atmosphere.

K3QheCz.jpg

I had entertained some thoughts of hopping over to Epcot to pick up breakfast for both of us (I could enter with my AP but my mom had no need for a park ticket today), but after seeing how wet it was, we stayed under cover, grabbing pastries at the Beach Club Marketplace. I think Mom had a regular croissant and I had a chocolate muffin – pretty basic WDW muffin, which is still to say pretty good (I love how huge they are)!

baPci8I.jpg

We were taking DCL transport, which was so convenient with someone coming by to pick up our suitcases from our room that morning. Our pickup was around 11:15 am and we gathered in the Solarium along with another couple who was catching the bus.

SIqXsCI.jpg
Kz4Sqzo.jpg

We were the first pickup and the bus driver did let us know the bus wouldn’t be totally full, so Mom and I each spread out into our own benches (I hate how horribly cramped the leg room is on those buses). I think we stopped at 2-3 other resorts (I know I remember Pop Century, but I can’t remember where else). And we were off!

4m8pPNa.jpg
tLzxsnf.jpg

It was an uneventful journey, though I think we ran into some traffic so the bus driver re-routed us a bit. Even though we didn’t arrive at the port super early, I still loved the convenience of the DCL transport.

First views of Wonder!

bbhcn6h.jpg
sTsnTsU.jpg

I do have to admit, the low crowds at the terminal actually made it feel more hectic for me! We got off the bus, immediately thru security, then up escalators and immediately to check-in and then we could already board. Really didn’t give me much time to catch my breath, though 25 minutes from arriving at the port until arriving at our room door wasn’t too bad!

WoEa3xt.jpg
Tl4cpke.jpg

Anyways, we quickly boarded and got that welcome which I was looking forward to! The lobby though was awash with people who had already boarded and were starting to head to their rooms (we got to the port around 1:30). It felt pretty chaotic, especially with the rain forcing people away from the decks.

We decided to go and stash our carry-on bags in our room, so went downstairs and got right in. It was a nice room, we liked it and I definitely was happy I had upgraded from inside room to oceanview (it was only about $40 more for a guaranteed room).

Our location on the ship:

W1706mL.png

tMFJjO7.jpg
hlLZccR.jpg
7poZpHu.jpg
PTLnRwy.jpg
T0vnEju.jpg

Our door magnets – pretty simple this time!

iepHwZX.jpg

But we were hungry, so we headed up to Cabanas. The lobby entry was another frenzied area, with a longish line of people waiting to wash hands and get into the buffet. It also was annoying when people kept cutting the line (I know there are different stations, but it felt like people were just jumping in front of you when you just tried to grab food in order). All the tables inside were taken, so we eventually found one in the splash pad area so we would be under cover.

CASd1RA.jpg
RPOaXsW.jpg

After eating a bit, we headed back down to the room. I think at this point my bag was there, so I did some unpacking. And we rested for a bit, watching the preparations out the gang plank.

pUdmnfm.jpg

I loved the lampshades with locations of all the parks and ships! Though they need to get updated for Aulani and Shanghai!

UQIL7kw.jpg
NiDiXyg.jpg
qHgUXYp.jpg

I think I also was able to download the DCL app onto mom’s phone. I told her for months prior to download it, but she didn’t. then she didn’t know her phone password… eventually I got it, just in time before we lost service! But I never bothered to sign her up for the 50 mb free (I knew she wouldn’t care and it was only 4 nights).

Also I went through the app and marked off things I’d be interested in (spoiler – I went to maybe 1 of those)?

Soon enough, it was time for the muster drill. We were in the Theatre, only up 2 flights of stairs, which was very convenient. It was funny because there are 2 muster stations in there, and since its quieter we could both hear the other groups speeches. Our group politely clapped after our leader (he went second). Then the other guy got jealous and spurred on his group to cheer louder for him. Our guy just gave a smirk – I diidn’t need to ask for applause!

Anyways, uneventful drill. Also announced that even though rain had stopped, it was too wet on deck so the Sail A Wave party was going to be in atrium (this was the newer version which had only started a month or so earlier).

Went back down to room and mom’s bag was there, so she unpacked too. Went up to sort of watch the sail a wave party. But it so crowded we couldn’t see much. Some people even staked out spots in the elevators and would just ride them up and down to see through the glass walls!

OzZQ0R9.jpg
LhY832H.jpg
3rm35wU.jpg

Eventually we gave up on the show (though we unfortunately missed the horn going off) and headed to the top deck to watch us sail away. Both of us wandered around, getting a bit lost and trying to avoid smoking areas and the closed Cabanas area, until we found each other again in 10 Forward (any Star Trek fans out there know why that is familiar?) where we watched us head out of the canal. The Wonder was following behind 3 other ships; I think they were a combination of Royal Caribbean and Carnival. And of course it was so windy our hair just got so crazy!

2WREozO.jpg
bNBb3CL.jpg
SjPTk5L.jpg
iCNWB2M.jpg

We headed back down to the room to get cleaned up a bit. I think just settled. And the seas started rocking once we got out of the channel!

xbbCSxI.jpg

It was time for the show, which was Golden Mickeys. It was cute. Obviously the cast was very talented and great stage quality. Though my favorite part was Tarzan – yes please! After staring at him for a bit thinking he was familiar I realized it was our muster drill leader… So, yes I did have a little hope we would need to evacuate…

bb5rB02.jpg
8NoBiTw.jpg

I was also impressed at how the cast could keep balance during these seas. It was crazy rough – lots of people stumbling in the aisles and several clean up crews outside… When we talked to our tablemate she explained how she has done 30 cruises (including 18 Disney) and this was the worst she every experienced! So at least that quickly answered if I would get seasick!

At some point I did wander through the lobby and they were playing my jam – Mmmbop! I’m a die hard Hanson fan, so very much appreciated it!

Back down to the room and got changed for dinner. I wore dress and coordinating ears. Though not a lot of people wear ears on the cruise lines unfortunately! So I wore for pictures but I took off once I got into restaurant.

Dinner tonight was Tiana’s Place. I got a bit turned around (took a bit getting used to the ship despite it being one of the “smaller” ships)! Our room was Deck 2 Forward while Tiana’s is Deck 3 Aft. I figured, just go up one level and walk to the back of the ship, but the After Hours adult clubs are on Level 3, so it looked like a dead-end (turns out the corridor does run all the way down, I just didn’t know at the time), so we wend up to Level 4, walked all the way through, including trying to navigator Animators Palate crowds, and then down the stairs by Shutters. A bit convoluted and unnecessary, especially when I’m wearing wedge heals (I’m a sneakers and flip flop type of girl) and the seas are roiling!

QUGRbCv.jpg
82a1Q94.jpg
ScKTjhz.jpg
83z8FNh.jpg

Anyways, we got lined up to enter. More hand sanitizing wipes as we entered. We were seated at table 4, set for 7 people. Our first set of tablemates were a mom and her adult daughters (though about 10 yrs younger than me). They were from Chile and didn’t speak much English, and no one else at the table spoke Spanish, so we had some difficulties communicating, but did our best and they were sweet enough. We were also joined by a slightly older lady who was a Platinum cruiser, so it was cool to pick her brain! Our final tablemate was eating at Palo this evening, so we didn’t meet her until the next night, but it turns out she was a young woman from Montreal, where Mom and I went to school, so we had more stuff to chat about. We all got along pretty well!

JSknc0U.jpg
LF4FAUR.jpg
QALiYO7.jpg
WNrvehP.jpg
N4aNoME.jpg
8uT4YwC.jpg
Iz3pMG6.jpg
VI5nvzT.jpg
TLn6v6H.jpg

Our server was Rodrigo from Portugal who was very nice (and helped translate when needed). And our assistant server was Antoinette from Jamaica. Eventually we were joined with a server-in-training who was part of a new crew group who boarded with us. And our head server was Haydar.

Rodrigo gave good menu suggestions and I was happy I took them.

L9ESbsC.jpg
aAb4gNM.jpg
Pbb87Sg.jpg

Bread was Herbed Brioche with Roasted Onion Dip. I like brioche, so it was good by me!

kTsrgTL.jpg

For appetizers I got the Sauteed Gulf Shrimp and Grits (with Andouille Sausage, Grilled Green Onions and a Smoked Barbecue Sauce) and mom got the Iceberg Wedge Salad (with Pepper Jack Cheese, bacon, Tomato, Basil and a creamy Thousand Island Dressing). I liked mine very much, as the shrimp was cooked well and the BBQ sauce gave the grits a nice sweet smokiness rather than a spicy.

h3oVnS8.jpg
Wob0ZGl.jpg

For entrees, I had the Big Daddy’s Roasted Prime-Rib of Beef (with a double Baked Potato, Broccolini, sweet Roasted Carrots and a Red Wine Veal Sauce) and mom had the Roasted Creole Half Chicken (with Toasted Corn, Pecan Bread Pudding, Buttered Chard and Chicken Jus). Mom really liked the chicken; I though the prime rib was decent though the meat was a bit gummy, like it had been sliced too far in advance. I loved the double baked potatoes though and will definitely get extras of those in the future!

gTCoZ92.jpg
pqLAuV4.jpg

Dessert, of course I had to get multiple, with Tiana’s Buttermilk Beignets (dusted with Powdered Sugar and served with Chocolate Espresso Dipping Sauce) and the Chocolate Doberge Gateau (six-layer Sponge Cake filled with Chocolate Chantilly Creme). Mom must have gotten the Beignets too. The beignets were good (not Ralph Brennan good though) but needed more powdered sugar. Chocolate cake was meh. A bit overproduced, which I get with a cruise ship restaurant. In future I would get beignets as well as a dessert from the next-door Triton’s!

QEdGAlz.jpg
t1mt8P8.jpg
VEDHoDX.jpg
IEK8v52.jpg
cVm2JDF.jpg

Our platinum cruiser had some allergies (I know they included strawberries, but not sure what else). It took a bit more time to bring out some of her food and before we would leave every night, Rodrigo would bring out the menus to get her order in advance. It worked out fine some days, not so well another day, but I’ll go over that later.

I liked the fun dance and band at the end. Tiana did make a loop around the restaurant, but because were all adults she didn’t make an effort to take photos, just waved from the end of the table. Rodrigo tried to convince me to do the limbo but not in those seas!

KQpVkbR.jpg
oWQzTel.jpg
Gs9gREc.jpg

Rodrigo and Antoinette waving

nHpzIsa.jpg
dgFTgX7.jpg
xp8KIB0.jpg

After dinner, we rolled ourselves out! Seriously stuffed! And also had to deal with the waves!

lHW9XnI.jpg
dHw0iR8.jpg
muXgF8Y.jpg

We did stop to take photos in the lobby since it was rare for me to wear a dress! We did end up buying one of those pictures (though got it printed so until we scan them in, this is the best I have)

b8UgGlD.jpg
k537sxy.jpg

And figured out the corridor back to the Aft area on the 3rd floor. Nice and quiet back there plus some photo opportunities, no matter how awkward I am!

GEiPQdb.jpg
9PkP3cO.jpg
ft8MUc5.jpg
H5Ngj6T.jpg
OgQhbxK.jpg
x4KLs1m.jpg

Back to room and got ready for bed. I think may have watched parts of some Disney movies. Ship was still a rocking. But actually nice in the bed, because it felt like we were rocked to sleep. But the waves were huge! Could see other ships in distance, so I guess we were all headed to Bahamas.

XCL3L2e.jpg

Mom up various times in night to check on waves and she said they stopped around 5am (I offered to switch off between bed/couch bed with mom, but because I had paid for the cruise, she insisted I have the bed).

Coming up – A day at sea…in port!

You are adorable :) I would've done the same thing. Sitting on the ground, eating off a bench sounds way better than standing and eating off a garbage can.....which I have totally done. LOL

Though my favorite part was Tarzan – yes please! After staring at him for a bit thinking he was familiar I realized it was our muster drill leader… So, yes I did have a little hope we would need to evacuate…
Well that sounds delightful!!! :)

At some point I did wander through the lobby and they were playing my jam – Mmmbop! I’m a die hard Hanson fan, so very much appreciated it!
Me, too!!! :lovestruc

We all got along pretty well!
That's really nice!! On all 3 cruises I've been on, the people we were seated with for dinner all made nice companions for dinner each night. Disney somehow does a remarkable job with that!

So excited to see more!

You are adorable :) I would've done the same thing. Sitting on the ground, eating off a bench sounds way better than standing and eating off a garbage can.....which I have totally done. LOL
Haha, yeah me too! I think I tried doing my bench table again in February/March but it was too crowded!
That's really nice!! On all 3 cruises I've been on, the people we were seated with for dinner all made nice companions for dinner each night. Disney somehow does a remarkable job with that!
It does work out well! Though this past cruise it ended up being completely random and still worked out great, so I think it's the nature of all being on a Disney cruise that makes it work!

Day 6 – Sleeping the day away!
February 11, 2019

This was a VERY late start! We ended up sleeping until 11:45! Just needed to recoup all that energy from the parks the previous days! We were docked at Nassau but didn’t really plan on getting off the ship, so we were treating it as a sea day, like many others onboard. I definitely slept through lots of things I had “hearted” on the app – some of the kids club open houses, Mary Poppins Returns, cooking demonstration, etc. But sleep was important too! And that bed was to die for!

WyA9pLv.jpg

Breakfast was already finished at Cabanas, but we were just in time for lunch. Loved those wood murals and Mom is a big Dory fan, so I had to get a photo with her!

E47mRnV.jpg
HHVJoM2.jpg
umUdcgH.jpg
ADkiuKB.jpg
JsuEMWe.jpg
C9Vcwxl.jpg

It was blue skies and sunny, so we took our food out to the back deck to eat with a lovely view of Atlantis and Nassau.

aVoJpYl.jpg
rnGslGk.jpg

We were docked alongside 3 Royal Caribbean ships, so I am sure port was pretty busy!

(I think the day before I did get my first ice cream but they just had vanilla/chocolate swirled and I forgot to take a photo – bad TRer!) This time I remembered and got a phot of my strawberry/pina colada. Yum!

UDkN97M.jpg
zrQ2NOH.jpg

Now, I don’t have photos of this, but I know we went down to the room, I got changed into a bathing suit (mom decided not to bother) and went back up to quiet cove. I relaxed in the pool a bit – loved the little shallow ledge to sit around. I was a bit worried about the sun (I don’t remember if I put on sunscreen or not), so I didn’t stay too long. Mom and I did move over to the chairs by Cove Café, which were comfy, but the ones with foot rests were in the sun, which wasn’t so great. I dried out some before heading back to the room.

lOmYt8q.jpg
AFfEun4.jpg

I loved all the door decorations. These were just a couple, but some were so awesome and I knew I needed to step up my game for any future cruises!

iLqjsMT.jpg
yJjDT89.jpg

Headed back to room and promptly fell asleep again! Yeah… oops! I think mom ended up reading her book instead though!

Eventually woke up with enough time to watch us sail away. In the elevator a family that was all red and out of breath and turns out they thought all aboard was 4:45 not 4:15, so had to run for it!

wwH6atG.jpg
mRpUwHB.jpg
BnDpkav.jpg

Sail away was nice – not as windy as from PC. Cool to watch them cast off. We followed 1 of the RC ships out and the others eventually followed us.

tVyfyOk.jpg
0xzcbh6.jpg
2EonISP.jpg
R7kD7po.jpg
XoZxADL.jpg
jr8VZZq.jpg
wUQAf0m.jpg
TaKyBmS.jpg
3XJlO5e.jpg
Yla4K4P.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter