This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

This tragedy reminds me of seeing parents holding their kids or sitting their kids on to the railing of TOTWL at bay lake tower. The railing is on the 16th floor of bay lake tower! Every single time we have been up there for fireworks, we have witnessed parents holding their kids or sitting their kids on top of the railing so they could see the fireworks better.

Every single time, a CM had to come over and tell the parents to move their kids. It always just blew my mind. One small move or twist by the kid and they would have fallen 16 feet onto the pavement below.

I don’t know if the parents were just so excited that they were on vacation that they forgot how to think rationally, or they just don’t see danger where it obviously is. I think the grandfather falls into one of these categories. Such a terrible tragedy that could have been prevented if the grandfather would’ve been more observant of his surroundings and the danger involved.

This should have been pointed out in that interview... heartbreaking, but so true. And I'm sure he would give his own life now to take back that one moment.

You really think the interviewer should have coldheartedly said that its the grandfather's fault. Not saying that its wrong, just saying that if you were having a conversation with a grieving, heartbroken parent; you could say that?

That wasn't an "interview", it was an arrangement between their lawyer and the network so they can sell the public on the idea that it wasn't all the Grandfather's fault.
I am so sad I watched it, but I did. It clearly wasn't an interview. I agree. It was very rehearsed and the parents were given questions that were crafted by the lawyers.

You really think the interviewer should have coldheartedly said that its the grandfather's fault. Not saying that its wrong, just saying that if you were having a conversation with a grieving, heartbroken parent; you could say that?
I would have liked them to ask "Do you think your father holds any responsibility in this accident? If he would not have put her on the railing, the accident wouldn't have happened."

Or, when they suggested screens... "Do you think they should screen in all balcony cabins?"

This interview was done for emotion. It was not done to ask "hard hitting" questions. That being said, I can understand why it would be hard to ask those questions.

Who said "coldheartedly"?? Where? Please don't put your words in my mouth. I know what I "really think." What you seem to think I think is another matter.

Last edited:
No but I can see. I am not saying where the window is or where they were. I am saying that seeing all that not too far away, I get where the reference came from.

That picture does not truly show the vastness of this ship or the distance from the windows. Trust us that have been on this ship. Most of the time standing at the window you cannot even spot a person you know in the pools

All due respect - you have no idea what you're talking about.

So in kinder words, the rumor I heard was incorrect. Thanks for the clarification.
Have you ever been on a cruise ship, or better yet, this ship in particular? If so, you would have an entirely different perspective. I'm reading many people who don't have any personal point of reference trying to piece things together and just flat-out getting it wrong.

Did anyone else find it strange that the mom referred to her dad as "Sam" and it seems like her maiden name is not the same as his (and I could be mistaken)--is this her dad or stepdad? Just curious. I just thought it strange that she referred to him by his first name....I always called my dad..."DAD"??

[/QUOTE]

Because semantics matter.
They arent lying, they are manipulating the facts though. Is there a kids play area? Yes. Is that where she fell from? Nope.

There would have been no tragedy if the GF hadnt lifted her onto the railing.
The mother says there are a million things RCL could have done, but really GF just needed to not do one.

If I was RCL I would take the jury onto the deck, physically if possible, to make it very clear how far away it was.
Most importantly, she wasn't in her togs, she wasn't playing in the H2O zone, she didnt run from the H2O zone and tumble out a window before her GF ould catch up to her, which is really the idea they are trying to get people to think, that it could happen to anyone. And in reality it couldn't.

Yes it does.
If you link windows 30+ feet away are in the kids play area, then the kids play area being 30 feet away from a main pool makes it in the main pool area.
The point is that it isnt an area you should let your guard down with kids.
It would be one of the most dangerous areas on the ship for kids I would think, with the hazards that multiple pools would entail.

It doesn't matter what I think. I can say its not a kids area. I am just pointing out what it looks like in the pictures that the cruise line posts on their own sites and other sites that advertise them. And they haven't once implied that she ran from her gf and fell. Not once. Which is back to me asking "are we just trying to make the parents look worse as we go?"

You can call the area a dining area, you can call it a kid's area, you can call it a dance hall for all I care; its the perception that someone will have. Calling it a dining area honestly isn't better and that is what the original report said. (the same report that you want to quote as fact when it said he was dangling her.) If the police report that the i

And you are right, you shouldn't let your guard down with kids around pool areas or anywhere really. Ever. My own kids are grown now, but I spend a lot of time with their kids. The oldest two are 10 and 8 and sometimes complain that I treat them the same as I do the 5 year old. And I tell them, "well, its my job to keep you safe and sometimes I may see things that you don't see or don't think about". Ships, theme parks, pools, lakes, parks, zoos, your own yard all can have hidden dangers. That is what they are calling this is a hidden danger. I don't understand it, but I am not going to discount what they believe until I hear the entire investigation and since that isn't likely to happen, I cannot and will not make a judgment against these people.

I would have liked them to ask "Do you think your father holds any responsibility in this accident? If he would not have put her on the railing, the accident wouldn't have happened."

Or, when they suggested screens... "Do you think they should screen in all balcony cabins?"

This interview was done for emotion. It was not done to ask "hard hitting" questions. That being said, I can understand why it would be hard to ask those questions.

The screen question is fine. The first half of your first question, fine. The second half, no. And these kinds of interviews don't call for "hard hitting" questions. That simply makes people hate the interviewer, not question the person being interviewed.

Did anyone else find it strange that the mom referred to her dad as "Sam" and it seems like her maiden name is not the same as his (and I could be mistaken)--is this her dad or stepdad? Just curious. I just thought it strange that she referred to him by his first name....I always called my dad..."DAD"??
[/QUOTE]
I only watched the interview for about 20 seconds, lol, and that’s what I noticed too. It seemed strange to me as well.

That picture does not truly show the vastness of this ship or the distance from the windows. Trust us that have been on this ship. Most of the time standing at the window you cannot even spot a person you know in the pools

Again, the average person is going to look at the thousands of pictures all over the internet; many posted BY the cruise line and the PERSEPTION is going to be that it is a kid's area. It doesn't matter who or what I believe. I haven't said anyone was not being truthful.

I have no clue but if it's a step-parent it's not strange at all. Biological yeah that comes off at least different.

The screen question is fine. The first half of your first question, fine. The second half, no. And these kinds of interviews don't call for "hard hitting" questions. That simply makes people hate the interviewer, not question the person being interviewed.

That's a matter of opinion, I do think these "interviews" call for hard hitting questions. They went there accusing the cruise line of wrong doing. That was the sole purpose of going on TV.
Had they gone on just to share their grief, and how they are feeling as a way of getting through it that would be one thing, but they went on specifically to tell the world that their dd's death was the fault of someone other than whose it was.
I can't imagine their grief, but it really seems pretty calculated to go on TV a couple weeks after such a tragedy. If they can manage to do that then they can manage a few relevent questions IMO.
I'd have respect for them and the interviewer if they asked and answered those questions. As of now, I've got none.

Who said "coldheartedly"?? Where? Please don't put your words in my mouth. I know what I "really think." What you seem to think I think is another matter.

Did you see the condition the mother was in? Did you see how devastated she was? It would have been pretty cold hearted for the interviewer to pick that time to point out that the child's grandfather is solely to blame?

That's a matter of opinion, I do think these "interviews" call for hard hitting questions. They went there accusing the cruise line of wrong doing. That was the sole purpose of going on TV.
Had they gone on just to share their grief, and how they are feeling as a way of getting through it that would be one thing, but they went on specifically to tell the world that their dd's death was the fault of someone other than whose it was.
I can't imagine their grief, but it really seems pretty calculated to go on TV a couple weeks after. If they can manage to do that then they can manage a few relevent questions IMO.
I'd have respect for them and the interviewer if they asked and answered those questions. As of now, I've got none.

The best way to be disrespected and gain dislike toward yourself is to hit hard and painfully at the person who is already hurting and that so many people in this world can empathize with. She lost her child, that is every parent's worst nightmare. And the way she lost her is even more horrendous. Watching an interviewer go hard at her, will make that parent/viewer feel like the interviewer is going after the viewer personally.

The cruise line is a big company. Accusing them of anything isn't going to garner the same emotion in anyone.

Did you see the condition the mother was in? Did you see how devastated she was? It would have been pretty cold hearted for the interviewer to pick that time to point out that the child's grandfather is solely to blame?

I absolutely hear what you are saying, but these parents put themselves in the media. If they weren't able to answer questions about the accident then they shouldn't have voluntarily gone on the show.

I hope they know to stay away from social media right now. The vast majority of what I'm reading is critical of the grandfather and not the cruise line.

The best way to be disrespected and gain dislike toward yourself is to hit hard and painfully at the person who is already hurting and that so many people in this world can empathize with. She lost her child, that is every parent's worst nightmare. And the way she lost her is even more horrendous. Watching an interviewer go hard at her, will make that parent/viewer feel like the interviewer is going after the viewer personally.

The cruise line is a big company. Accusing them of anything isn't going to garner the same emotion in anyone.

Again that is your opinion, stop speaking for everyone.
Nobody said anything about looking to get sympathy for the cruise line, it's about accusations against someone without taking responsibility for your (in this case the GF) actions that resulted in the tragedy you now face.
I can have sympathy for them and what they are going through and at the same time have no respect for what they are doing in the aftermath. Had the "interview" been different, then my feelings about them may be too.

On a cruise forum talking about this same topic he was referenced as a step grandfather, however that was deduced maybe from the other articles or obituary, so I suppose that may be the reason she called him Sam.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter