This is my training journal. I'm bad at titles. (Comments welcome!)

I am beyond impressed with your performance. I am sitting here with a nasty cold feeling sort of sorry for myself at the though of running NYC on Sunday and not feeling great--but here you are finishing a race in awful conditions with a broken elbow!

Take every moment to be impressed with yourself, and don't think about what else could have been--what you did was fantastic!

I’ve been waiting to hear how it went—I’m so happy you achieved your sub-4 in such nasty circumstances!

Enjoy all the rest you can get and congratulations!

Amazing!!!🤩🤩🤩🤩
Congratulations in every way possible.
Also, great write-up: feeling all the feels. Enjoy your very well deserved medal and rest!

Wow wow wow! You had such an amazing race! Huge congratulations! What an accomplishment to get the time you wanted!

I got worried reading your race report about how little liquids you were carrying...it was HUMID on Sunday. No wonder you're so sore - heat exhaustion on top of a hard marathon effort is a double whammy.

Such a fantastic race that really shows how much effort you put into the training. Congratulations again!

2023 Marine Corps Marathon

Pre-Race:

We lucked out with the weather! At some point yesterday the forecast changed from 78F and sunny to 73F with cloudcover and light sprinkles. Upon waking up this morning it looked like the TD would be around 123 at race start, and warm to "only" 128-129 by noon. The dew points were still 60-61, which is the real limiting factor - it was humid out there. But! Very little sun and mostly cloudy.

The entire week I had been turning over in my head what I wanted to do. Which would I regret more - going too hard, blowing up, and finishing much more slowly than I wanted? Or, running a reasonable pace and finishing potentially a few minutes over 4 hours, but never trying for sub-4?

Through it all, I had to know. Good weather or bad - I was going for it.

I ate my usual pre-race breakfast and finished by 6 AM - bagel, banana, peanut butter, and coffee. I brought a disposable water bottle with my Maurten 320 drink mix for pre-race, and did something new to me today - I brought another disposable bottle of water to supplement between the water tables due to the humidity. Spoiler: this was a very good idea.

I arrived at the Pentagon metro station around 7:30 AM. The walk to the race start was almost a mile. It's like WDW! I stopped to use the port-o-potties, and by the time I made it near the starting line the chair athletes were already starting at 7:52 AM. I was in the 3rd corral, but I never made it that far up. As soon as the elites started at 7:55 AM, they kept the line moving and everyone started the race as soon as they made it to the line. No mini-waves or anything like that. That was super nice - one thing that always gets me about WDW races is how much standing around you do. Of course, this also means there were people everywhere for the first 5-10k, but I totally preferred this way of doing things.

I ended up starting just ahead of the 4:30 pacers because of how far I had to walk and unexpectedly being short on time.

It also was so hot, I counted 6 runners lying on the course throughout the race. I'm sure there were many more. Two gauntlets were also cut short. MCM uses gauntlets to describe when you must be past a certain point, much like sweeping at Disney races. Why do they call them gauntlets? Because DoD, I guess.

Race:

As an aside, this race was a blur. I know I was focused on continuing to move because of the heat, plus it didn't help that the course is a sort of "greatest hits" of all the DC-area races, so my memory is not super great already.

5k - 30:55 - 9:58/mile

This ended up slower than I expected mostly due to the density of runners. I just couldn't keep a consistent pace. It was also mostly uphill, so the slow pace makes sense. However, given my goal was to simply give myself a chance at the end, I was definitely a little concerned about how slowly this turned out.

Also, I was already drenched.

10k - 59:27 - 9:11/mile

I don't remember any of this, haha. I do remember being focused on trying to make up some time and it was easier as the pack of runners thinned out. I think this marker was in Georgetown or shortly thereafter.

15k - 1:27:18 - 8:58/mile

This marker was at the end of the out-and-back of Potomac Parkway, which is another one of those DC race staples. Pretty much every big DC race has this. The section from 10k to 15k was hilly but mostly downhill, which helped. Also - I was getting a little concerned about my pace at this point. Clearly I was making up time, but I wasn't even halfway through yet.

Half Marathon Split:
2:00:14 elapsed
8:42/mile

This I remember very clearly. It was a little more than halfway around Hains Point, past the Blue Mile. I wish I could tell you the Blue Mile was very moving, but Hains Point lulls me to sleep as a runner. I was also focused on hitting that half marathon split around 2:01-2:02, but this ended up even faster than I planned. This was all mostly flat, so it's not like I was using elevation to my advantage either.

Anyway! At the halfway point I was at least giving myself a chance at my goal. Just needed to stay as consistent as possible the rest of the way.

25k - 2:21:32 - 8:48/mile

This is another section I don't remember at all, but I do remember thinking I desperately needed to slow down. I was trying to give myself a cushion for sub-4 at the end, but every mile was coming at under 9 minutes and I had a long way to go.

30k - 2:49:53 - 9:08/mile

I focused on slowing down to conserve energy for the end, so I was happy with where I was. This is also where we turned on to the National Mall, so plenty of crowd support kept me going. I also spotted my partner cheering for the first time. This was the first time I've had a partner cheer me on during a race - quite a special feeling, and a good boost!

Around mile 16-17 is where I finished the water bottle I brought with me, so I got rid of it. That was a mistake.

I had also been taking in gels every 30 minutes. I took my last gel at the 3 hour mark. Couldn't get any more down after that.

40k - 3:46:03 - 9:03/mile

I very vividly remember passing the 20 mile maker. I don't recall exactly what the time elapsed was on my watch, but it was no more than a couple minutes beyond 3 hours. I remember thinking I just needed about a 57-minute 10k and I'd have the sub-4. I felt pretty good at that point, and focused on trying to keep my miles around 9 minutes.

I had done exactly what I set out to do - on a hot, humid day, I was giving myself a chance at the end.

The bridge going south into Crystal City is the one pain point everyone talks about in this race. It's about half a mile with no shade and no crowd support. We got lucky, because it was still cloudy, therefore I didn't find it that bad. But on a hot, sunny day I could totally see this killing me. There were several huge containers for water and people were so thirsty, they were simply positioning their mouths under the spigots. I wish I had kept my bottle!

Running through Crystal City I could feel the fatigue building in, but I still felt like I could hold my pace. The miles were peeling away - mile 21, mile 22, mile 23. There was a guy handing out Fireball shots (!). I couldn't even imagine doing that late in a race, much less such a humid marathon. The smell of the Fireball got to me a bit, but thankfully it didn't last long.

Mile 24, I still feel surprisingly good. I mean, I'm certainly not thriving, but for being 24 miles into a miserably humid marathon, I'm doing okay. Also, weirdly, at this point I caught the 4:00 pacers! Felt like that had to be a good sign. They'd started ahead of me, so I figured I was doing well by passing them - it meant I had time banked.

And then things fell completely apart.

The first thing I noticed was my right calf started getting shooting cramps at random. They caught me so off gaurd, I stumbled a few times and nearly fell once or twice.

The second thing, and worse than the calf, was the heat and humidity were finally taking their toll on me. I noticed somewhere around mile 24.5 that I wasn't sweating much anymore. I knew I was getting very close to the danger zone, and I wished I had kept and refilled my water bottle. The effects of dehydration were quickly wearing me down. There was one last water stop near here, and I dunked myself and drank as much as I could.

Mile 25 and I'm in trouble. My mouth is bone-dry, I'm not sweating, I'm drenched, it's humid, and I was almost done. I stopped and walked to gather my thoughts.

I couldn't keep running. My calf continued to flare. I wasn't lightheaded, but I felt like that could be coming. I switched to run-walk intervals.

According to my watch, I'm around 3:49. I needed to cover 1.2 miles in 10 minutes. I had no idea if I could do it.

I spent the rest of the race hobbling, run-walk as fast as I could. I remember seeing the mile 26 marker and feeling like it was an eternity away.

The 4:00 pacers caught back up to me, passed me, and I totally lost sight of them.

Did I mention the end of the race is mostly uphill? Yeah, it's uphill.

There's one final insanely steep uphill leading to the finish line. I jog it, slowly, barely. There are Marines lining the course cheering us on. I have to stop and walk again.

Top of the hill. Garmin says 3:59:50. I have 9 seconds.

I hear my name. My partner spotted me from the bleachers! I couldn't hold it in anymore and began to cry.

With every ounce I have left, I run one final burst. I cross the finish line, and I'm very worried- because Garmin says 3:59:58.

3:59:58.

2 seconds. That's so close, it's within the margin of error of my timing chip. I could've started my watch too late or stopped it too early and be over 4 hours.

I have no idea if I made it.

I work my way, slowly, through the finisher's area. When presented with my medal, I burst into tears again.

I still don't know if I made it. I never carry my phone during runs or races.

Agonizingly, with every aching step, I get through the finisher's area and to the family link-up to find my partner. She's there a few minutes later.

I cry again.

I asked her if I made it. She raised her eyebrows and said "You don't know?" I shook my head no.

She showed me her phone, and I completely lost my composure. All the sweat, the tears, the broken elbow, the heat and humidity of the DC summers:

View attachment 806393

Thoughts:
  • Sub-4! With time to spare!
  • Under 4 hours, on a hot, humid day when I had lost almost all of my heat adaptation.
  • That water bottle almost certainly saved the day.
  • Even with a total fade at the end (I averaged slower than a 10-minute mile for the final 2k), I still had enough time banked earlier in the race to withstand it.
  • 28 second negative split!
Things I'm Curious About:
  • I do wonder if I could've held off the fade by refilling my water bottle. I was moving very well and on pace for about a 3:56-57 finish even in miserable conditions.
  • Er... crazy to think what this could have been if the weather had matched all of October?
And now, with my sub-4 marathon done, I'm feeling a lot of things. I teared up writing this, feeling the emotion wash over me again.

In the name of all that is holy, my body hurts. Two days later and I'm finishing this post at 2:30 AM because I still can't really sleep.

An 18-week training plan where I ran more miles than I had ever run and pushed my body to the limit. On those days when I was slogging through a long run with a TD of 140+ and thought this day would never come - I ran the marathon under 4 hours. It's all over. It's a strange feeling.

While I do feel proud of what I accomplished, it's a very different feeling than a PR on any other race. I feel much more relieved that I did it and it's over.

I'm not doing one of these again for a while.

Thanks for reading my rambling race report. I had tried to hold out for the course photos, but they still haven't arrived. I'll post those later!

And now, no running for at least a week. Not like I could, even if I'd wanted.
Congrats!!!!!

Congratulations. I had been waiting for your race report. Great job. Amazing and good for you. Be proud of yourself.

Your race report has me feeling all the feelings! You had an amazing race to cap off an amazing training cycle despite some less than ideal conditions. You should be so proud of yourself!

November 6 - November 12

Total mileage: 14.0mi
Total time: 2h 16min

This week was all about marathon recovery and easing back into things after taking an entire week off. Because my elbow is still fractured, I haven't been cleared to resume strength training yet. Hopefully in a few weeks.

Monday: 4 Miles Easy
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: 3 Miles Easy
Thursday: 3.5 Miles Easy
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: 3.5 Miles Easy

Even with pleasant, cool temperatures and short runs, the fatigue builds in fast!

This week, it's 4 days of 7 easy miles each. Did the first already and it seemed alright.

I'm still deciding what comes next. Dopey is approaching so fast. I'm considering doing an abbreviated 5k training plan and racing the 5k on Thursday, but that's TBD.

Oh hey I haven't updated this in quite a while. There's been a lot going on - I recently started a new job - and I've been taking time to reflect post-marathon about what comes next.

I've still been running, but everything has been a slog. I did start a 5k-specific training plan for Dopey weekend, but have since abandoned that idea. My elbow is doing a lot better. It's not fully healed yet - hopefully that's only about another 6 weeks away - but thankfully it's only a nuisance now rather than a hindrance. I'm not back in the gym yet. I felt like that was a big boost to training, and more importantly my overall health.

What I AM feeling is that my body is not recovering the way I'd wanted/hoped. The marathon took way more out of me than I ever would have guessed. With all that taken together, and with the long-term running goals in mind, I've decided not to run Dopey. I'll dearly miss seeing everyone, and I can't wait to read all your exciting recaps!

I have big ideas for 2024, but how that will come together is still very much in question. For now, I'm focusing on recovery and thinking a shorter race or two in the spring to work on speed.

I hope everyone's holiday season has been warm and bright. I know mine has!

Oh wow that is a very mature decision that I myself would struggle to make. Very impressive. I definitely understand feeling that the marathon took a lot out of you, even though I didn't even run mine that hard, and didn't break an elbow!

I hope the new job suits you well. You sound in great spirits.

I've decided not to run Dopey. I'll dearly miss seeing everyone, and I can't wait to read all your exciting recaps!

You'll be missed! I was looking forward to seeing you again. As SheHulk said, congrats on taking a decision based on what's best for you. Good luck with your new job and maybe we'll see each other in person another time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter