• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This Is Us- Season 3

I wonder if Randall ended up at that school. Remember at the counseling session, Rebecca screamed how Randall was the only one that stayed with her and didn't leave her.
Washing DC was not that far away from PA, but I have a feeling Kate and Kevin left for LA.

Good point - all along, the talk was about Randall going to Howard, in DC. It didn't actually dawn on me as to why he would bump into Beth at something at Carnegie Mellon?

He turned down Howard after his dad died. He didn't want to be so far from his family. I suspect Kevin and Kate went to college locally (Pittsburgh), but Carnegie-Mellon is more of a STEM school, and probably tougher to get into, math/science-wise.

So meeting Beth at college in Pittsburgh only happened because Randall changed his mind about going away to Howard in DC. - Out of the tragedy of his dad passing away, came the good fortune of meeting his future wife...and it's all about those pathways again!

Oooooh, I just had another thought. - If Randall had gone to DC, I'm betting he would have gone to the wall at some point...and found out Nicky wasn't dead...and that whole arc would have been different.

So meeting Beth at college in Pittsburgh only happened because Randall changed his mind about going away to Howard in DC. - Out of the tragedy of his dad passing away, came the good fortune of meeting his future wife...and it's all about those pathways again!

The most magical part of life.

I posted this in the season one thread.

The quote really impacted my life. Which I know sounds totally dramatic. :rolleyes:

I am thankful because I have always detested Everything happens for a reason, but love this one. And that fact that Meredith Grey said it doesn't make that gift any less valid. :drinking1 :laughing:--

"We do our very best, but sometimes it's just not good enough. We buckle our seat belts, we wear a helmet, we stick to the lighted paths, we try to be safe. We try so hard to protect ourselves, but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Cause when the bad things come, they come out of nowhere. The bad things come suddenly, with no warning. But we forget that sometimes that's how the good things come too."

Last edited:

Did anyone watch tonight? We might have a clue as to what happens with Randall and Beth.

I love the closeness between Rebecca and Kate. Toby rocks.

Kevin, please stop.

Deja is wonderful, as usual. I missed Tess and Annie, though.

Flashback Rebecca had me in tears tonight. Just 4 months have passed. So, so difficult. I'm so glad she sought help.

I feel terrible that I started out not liking Miguel.

The preview for next week has me very worried.

I agree. Babies born this early do tend to have some type of medical issue. My nephew was born 9 weeks early. He has cerebral palsy.

I agree. Babies born this early do tend to have some type of medical issue. My nephew was born 9 weeks early. He has cerebral palsy.
Hopefully (I know this is a fictional baby but still) he will be fine. I was born 9.5 weeks early and have no related medical issues. The technology is so much better these days but yes, some preemies are not as lucky.

I certainly agree the baby will have a medical issue but they wouldn’t know autism right at birth. I would think it would a problem they’ll likely know about right away.

They would likely know Down's Syndrome by now--they can test for it at 16 weeks (I think--I always refused the test, and it's been a few years...). My vote is for Cerebral Palsy.

Oh, Randall, Randall, Randall...he was so good with Deja, and then he blows it with Beth. I was watching with DS13, and I said, "See that right there? That's how divorce starts. You see couples arguing on Dr. Phil or whatever, and you think the fights lead to divorce, but it's that, right there--he's not hearing his wife and thinking about her needs and dreams."

They would likely know Down's Syndrome by now--they can test for it at 16 weeks (I think--I always refused the test, and it's been a few years...). My vote is for Cerebral Palsy.
Maybe they refused the test? I know at least amnio comes with a small increase in the risk of miscarriage. I could see them being really careful with that.

But I do think it's more likely something related to the early delivery.

Oh, Randall, Randall, Randall...he was so good with Deja, and then he blows it with Beth. I was watching with DS13, and I said, "See that right there? That's how divorce starts. You see couples arguing on Dr. Phil or whatever, and you think the fights lead to divorce, but it's that, right there--he's not hearing his wife and thinking about her needs and dreams."

It's hard to believe that he would make the same mistake again but dang. For someone so smart, he is really dense in this episode.

It wasn't my favorite episode. Maybe the last few episodes of the season will redeem it, but this season overall is just not living up to the others for me.

I love the closeness between Rebecca and Kate.

Me too! It's so nice to see them in scenes where they understand each other.

Deja is wonderful, as usual.

Agreed. (And she was trying to let Randall know she's happy, not fragile. I think she was using the school pick-up as an example, but that she would be excited for Beth and fine with a different routine a couple days a week.)

I feel terrible that I started out not liking Miguel.

He really did help a lot!

So, so true!

It's hard to believe that he would make the same mistake again but dang. For someone so smart, he is really dense in this episode.

I was so mad at him, too!!! But I also think it's another big "This Is Us" theme - how the same person gets it so right and so wrong in the same episode - the whole "we're all human, and nobody is perfect" idea.

My big thing with this episode is did the stress of Kevin drinking lead to the early labor? - I can't imagine the guilt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter