• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This is Us- Season four

I loved the episode. I love when Randall and Beth both spoke at once when Deja asked if she could go out with a boy. "yes" and "we need to meet him first" at the same time. Then Randall says, "we need to meet him first." They did the same thing when they were young and Beths mom asks how they met. At the same time they said "at class" and "we went on a date."

Love love love love love Kevin and Nicky. I love that Kevin is not letting Nicky push him away and Nicky is slowly learning to trust Kevin. They are opposite people yet the same.

Last season I wrote down my thoughts as I watched the episode. I found it started a lot of great discussion, so, if you’ll bear with me, I’m going to start doing it again.

• love Greg the neighbour

• untitled hot babysitter pilot LOL

• LOL yeah, let’s traumatize Jack with all the new noises lady

• Kate’s not dissing Neil Young is she?? Oh, Neil Diamond..continue

• yikes, Kate. Cut him a little slack. Maybe they end up divorced?

• oof, Beths mom is intimidating

• oh man, I feel Dejas pain lol

• I’m hoping this is a deke and Kevin doesn’t end up with her..

• that’s an interesting twist that Carol helped Rebecca in her healing

• ooohhh, the parallels. This is why I love this show!

• I’m calling it now..were going to see Sally this season.

• Hey Kev, I live in a smallish town..just saying LOL

• Carole King :crazy2:

• aww the lemon

• oh wow. They got married young. Did we know that?

Overall, a good episode.

They did mention a few times that Kevin and Sophie married young. It seems people didn't realize it was that young though.

They did mention a few times that Kevin and Sophie married young. It seems people didn't realize it was that young though.
Agreed. I always assumed college aged, since they went to NY together. No children also led me to believe divorced in early twenties; before they ever tried to have a “fix” the marriage baby. He also apologized to Sophie on her stoop for being immature and running off to act. I don’t remember if he said CA or that was just my assumption.

Not sure why people are hating on Kate. Maybe they either didn't have an infant, or don't remember? Especially an infant with special needs?

Nothing tests a marriage like a newborn. NOTHING.
I lived out of state and did not return to work for 3 years. I called my mother crying for help several times. She quickly drove the 6 hours to help me. I consider parenting a 14 year old pretty hard, too. Parenting a preemie with vision loss—life altering difficult.

Both marriage and parenting are hard. FWIW, I am lucky enough to have a committed loving husband and the lack of ability to completely self sabotage my life and marriage. Jack and Rebecca and Beth and Randall proved commitment is powerful. I hope Toby and Kate do as well.

I'm the same age as the "Big 3". I never owned a bike helmet my entire childhood and rode my bike all over town.

I'm not exactly sure how old the Big 3 are suppose to be but they look older than my dd-almost 26 and she
had a helmet for her bike and it was the norm when she was younger. I didn't notice the helmet but good observation!

Not sure why people are hating on Kate. Maybe they either didn't have an infant, or don't remember? Especially an infant with special needs?

Nothing tests a marriage like a newborn. NOTHING.
I never talked like that to my husband when our kid was an infant. Being snappy doesn't make the crying any better. Kate is just that way though. She snaps at people and takes offense easily.

Love that young adult Kate found a job doing something she enjoys. Music store guy seems smitten with her.

I know! I was so happy, and at the same time, I was thinking in the back of my mind that something bad must happen because she obviously doesn't end up with him.

No one was wearing a bike helmet in the early 90's.
I'm the same age as the "Big 3". I never owned a bike helmet my entire childhood and rode my bike all over town.
I'm 5 years older and same here.
Yeah, I was riding around in the late 80s without one too. Times were different then.

"that’s an interesting twist that Carol helped Rebecca in her healing" - @kimblebee
(Sorry for the odd format - I copied that from another quote, because I'm on a different page.)

I totally agree! I thought Beth's mom was going to be awful, and she actually helped! And I loved that she admitted her mistake to Randall in the present-day scene!

Highly possible. She's already making digs at Toby for spending "all his time" at the gym. I've seen this happen before. One spouse tries to better him or herself and the other one takes it personally and can't handle it. They met at an eating disorder group, didn't they? She might not be able to forgive him for fighting to get over his food addictions.
I think many times it can have a lot to do with priorities. If one parent prioritizes bettering him/herself while the other one is the one stuck dealing with everything/raising the kids etc. (perceived or reality) that builds resentment as well. Kate made that comment after realizing that Toby didn't know the old monkey didn't work anymore for Jack "because he's always at the gym," as opposed to being an equal to taking care of/being involved in raising Jack (whether that's reality or just Kate's perception is a different story.)

I think many times it can have a lot to do with priorities. If one parent prioritizes bettering him/herself while the other one is the one stuck dealing with everything/raising the kids etc. (perceived or reality) that builds resentment as well. Kate made that comment after realizing that Toby didn't know the old monkey didn't work anymore for Jack "because he's always at the gym," as opposed to being an equal to taking care of/being involved in raising Jack (whether that's reality or just Kate's perception is a different story.)
He said he goes on his lunch hour mostly, which I'm sure she resents as well. She doesn't get to go to work and interact with other adults, much less go to the gym. But, would she if she had the opportunity? From the flash forwards we can surmise that Toby and Kate are separated. It's an easy guess to blame Kate, but maybe the writers just want us to think that. Maybe Toby gets all buff and has an affair.

Edited to add: I see my husband without clothes multiple times a day. Whether I want to or not, lol. How did Kate not see Toby without his clothes or at least snuggle up next to him for months? It just seems so off, like there is already a disconnect. You can't blame pregnancy or a newborn on that. If you still sleep in the same bed or even hug one another daily, it would be obvious.

Last edited:
He said he goes on his lunch hour mostly, which I'm sure she resents as well. She doesn't get to go to work and interact with other adults, much less go to the gym. But, would she if she had the opportunity? From the flash forwards we can surmise that Toby and Kate are separated. It's an easy guess to blame Kate, but maybe the writers just want us to think that. Maybe Toby gets all buff and has an affair.

I definitely don’t think it’s as easy as Kate and Toby argued and they broke up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter