Thoughts on doing 1 day at DL after disembarking in San Diego

luv2cruisedisney

DIS Veteran
Any west coast residents or people who have previously ended a cruise in San Diego care to offer some thoughts, feelings on trying to do DL for a day?

We are doing the WB Panama next year (2/24/19) and I am toying with going up to the park for a day. We have never been to DL so any advice for planning would be welcomed as well as logistics for getting there and how to maximize our short time there

I'd rent a car, drive there, stay a night (or 2 if possible) and get MaxPass to maximize your time. We loved DL! Have gone once for 5 days two years ago; have been fans of WDW for decades, but feel absolutely worth it to visit the original park.

We drove to San Diego during our trip, as a day trip. There is substantial rush hour traffic from what I've heard, so that's why I suggest staying at least one night in Anaheim. To have a good full day, arriving at rope drop if possible. The night before to go for a partial day would be great, too. Whatever you feel is reasonable, time/$-wise.

If you're planning to go after you disembark, it is a minimum 2 hour drive on a very busy interstate North to Anaheim. I would try to schedule 2 days in the park, so you can have at least one early morning when the parks are a little less congested.

Everyone I have discussed this with says a minimum of 2 hours to geet there. We would stay 1 night and fly back to MCO the next day

If you are wanting to go the day of disembarkation, the best way to get there is by the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner from the San Diego Station (literally across the street from the B Street Cruise Terminal) to the Anaheim Station (about 3 miles to the gates of Disneyland). The train is 2 hours with no traffic issues, while driving can be anywhere from 1 1/2 to 4 hours depending on traffic (not counting the time to get the rental car). At the Parks, most definitely get MaxPasses for each day.

I was going to recommend the train as well if there is one timed to leave when you disembark. It's a nice easy drive that drops you off at the Angel's baseball stadium and a $5 Uber to DL. It will probably take you the same amount of time as driving, especially with the time it takes to get the rental car. Since you won't get there before 11:00 no matter what, definitely get MaxPass if you're only going for the day.

Another vote for the train. Easy to do and the views are beautiful for much of the route.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter