Thoughts on Lowball Offer

We are looking at SSR and while I’m admittedly looking for a somewhat bigger contract, I can’t fathom paying over $90 rn.

I loved your charts on dues and incentives btw! What made you decide to stick with buying SSR vs taking advantage of the current direct promotions? I was almost convinced at buying a fixed week CCV contract but with the renovations happening at SSR, I wouldn't mind staying at SSR one bit.

I loved your charts on dues and incentives btw! What made you decide to stick with buying SSR vs taking advantage of the current direct promotions? I was almost convinced at buying a fixed week CCV contract but with the renovations happening at SSR, I wouldn't mind staying at SSR one bit.
I want to own at SSR for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that my wife wants to own there. Although if copper creek was still $195 before incentives instead of $220, I think we’d be looking more seriously at it.

I don’t have much interest in Riviera or Aulani so direct for an active resort was out. We seriously considered AKV, BLT, OKW, and SSR. I also tried very hard to get my wife to consider BWV but I couldn’t get her there.

We will have a car for most trips so the bus consideration was minor to us. In any case, it doesn’t sound like people have great things to say about transportation from the contemporary anyway, between bus sharing and the long journey back from Epcot. So transportation is a wash.

SSR was more appealing than OKW from a purchasing standpoint because of the MFs and the expiration date. It looks like for 1BRs we’ll be able to trade from one to the other pretty much whenever we want anyway.

So then the question was, is it worth the extra up front cost (BLT) or MFs (AKV) for the chance to get into the hard to get rooms at BLT (basically everything) and AKV (Jambo in general)? And the answer to us was no. And the tiebreaker is those renovated rooms at Saratoga Springs. We have two small boys, who are both going to grow into gigantic teenagers. And that real queen bed is perfect. Between that and the two pool areas, multiple QSRs (4 if you count the golf course’s), and the direct access to Earl of Sandwich Disney Springs, it’s a place that we’re excited to stay at.

We will still try to get BLT one bedrooms for a night or two on trips where there’s availability, I understand that won’t be often. But we’re excited to buy into Saratoga Springs. In several months when the market turns and we’ve saved up more $$$.

I want to own at SSR for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that my wife wants to own there. Although if copper creek was still $195 before incentives instead of $220, I think we’d be looking more seriously at it.

I don’t have much interest in Riviera or Aulani so direct for an active resort was out. We seriously considered AKV, BLT, OKW, and SSR. I also tried very hard to get my wife to consider BWV but I couldn’t get her there.

We will have a car for most trips so the bus consideration was minor to us. In any case, it doesn’t sound like people have great things to say about transportation from the contemporary anyway, between bus sharing and the long journey back from Epcot. So transportation is a wash.

SSR was more appealing than OKW from a purchasing standpoint because of the MFs and the expiration date. It looks like for 1BRs we’ll be able to trade from one to the other pretty much whenever we want anyway.

So then the question was, is it worth the extra up front cost (BLT) or MFs (AKV) for the chance to get into the hard to get rooms at BLT (basically everything) and AKV (Jambo in general)? And the answer to us was no. And the tiebreaker is those renovated rooms at Saratoga Springs. We have two small boys, who are both going to grow into gigantic teenagers. And that real queen bed is perfect. Between that and the two pool areas, multiple QSRs (4 if you count the golf course’s), and the direct access to Earl of Sandwich Disney Springs, it’s a place that we’re excited to stay at.

We will still try to get BLT one bedrooms for a night or two on trips where there’s availability, I understand that won’t be often. But we’re excited to buy into Saratoga Springs. In several months when the market turns and we’ve saved up more $$$.
You'll be surprised how often 1 BR are open.

Exactly my reasoning as well for choosing SSR! I just hope 1 bedrooms won’t be too hard to get at 7 months next year due to the excess points currently.

I think SSR is a resort with good value for your money.

Last edited:

Exactly my reasoning as well for choosing SSR! I just hope 1 bedrooms won’t be too hard to get at 7 months next year due to the excess points currently.
They’ll definitely be harder for a bit. An easy way to spend excess points if you can’t get more time off of work or school is to grab 1BRs. But as long as you’re happy staying where you own it won’t be much of an issue.

What do you think would be a good price for SSR ?
It partly depends on how many points you are buying - the smaller the package, the more you are likely to spend. That said, I would say a fair price is $95 for 100 points (that's what I am in the process of closing now; offer was made in May), and less than that for 150+ points.

Great price! Can I ask what the list price was? I bid $120 on a 200 pt with no 2020 points and was scolded by the broker.

I think it was listed at $135pp. When I offered $120 the broker didn't even say anything about the amount - she just asked me to confirm that my offer and then said she would call the seller. When they counter-offered, and I countered again, she also didn't say anything - just said she'd call the seller. Overall - very professional and easy process. BUT - since signing the contract she has been harder to get a response from - made the sale and moving on I guess?

Another broker I talked to though admitted that sellers need to be more flexible in light of the current economy and seemed happy with lower offers.

If a broker doesn't want to work with you - I'd just move on and try to find another contract at another company - there seems to be a decent amount of inventory.

But we’re excited to buy into Saratoga Springs. In several months when the market turns and we’ve saved up more $$$.

When you say market turns in several months, are you thinking prices are going to drop further or did you mean turn back up?

I also want to thank you for the incentive table and dues/room cost chart... really great stuff!
I've been thinking about finally buying into DVC and your dues/room cost chart has definitely pushed me closer to BLT as our top choice.
It would be nice to buy direct and I was thinking about CCR with the incentives, but even with the incentives it just seems too expensive for us.

When you say market turns in several months, are you thinking prices are going to drop further or did you mean turn back up?

I also want to thank you for the incentive table and dues/room cost chart... really great stuff!
I've been thinking about finally buying into DVC and your dues/room cost chart has definitely pushed me closer to BLT as our top choice.
It would be nice to buy direct and I was thinking about CCR with the incentives, but even with the incentives it just seems too expensive for us.
I think prices will drop slowly for the next 12-18 months. They may bounce around a little in that time, especially some of the smaller resorts, which have fewer contracts, but I think the overall trend will be down.

Now whether they bottom out at -5% or -25% or -45% is very hard to say, and I wouldn’t suggest waiting around forever for the bottom - we won’t. We plan to save until we’re ready to start making aggressive offers, and when someone accepts one of those offers, that’s when we’ll buy.

I wonder who the broker was... I made a reasonable offer on a stripped SSR contract recently and a broker scolded me too. She also said, "That offer wouldn't even pass ROFR anyway and lowest for SSR is $95." Yet, I've seen lower going through... Needless to say, I bought another contract elsewhere.
It was DVC resale market. Their prices seem higher overall so I figured there was room for negotiation. They told me that there is only $1 to $4 a point “wiggle room” on their contracts. I follow the ROFR page so I obviously know people are paying much less. I will definitely be hesitant to bid with them again.

It was DVC resale market. Their prices seem higher overall so I figured there was room for negotiation. They told me that there is only $1 to $4 a point “wiggle room” on their contracts. I follow the ROFR page so I obviously know people are paying much less. I will definitely be hesitant to bid with them again.

That's BS. The amount of wiggle room is dependent on how much the seller is willing to negotiate. They could be desperate, list at a high amount hoping for a buyer willing to pay close to that, but willing to settle on a much lower price for a quick sale.

Of course, the broker is working for the seller, so they are trying to get the highest price possible. Plus, the more they sell it for, the more they make.

What do you think would be a good price for SSR ?
I think low $90s. I have seen a contract sell for $88 pp that passed ROFR. I even saw one that got sold in the $70s for a huge contract, not sure if it passed ROFR, though.

If I were looking for a SSR contract (which I am...) I am looking for a high number of points for $90pp or less. Now is the time to do it while Disney isn't snagging them, too.

Must depend on the person you're working with at dvcresalemarket - I've bought from them before (good experience overall) and recently (last week) I made a "lowball" offer on a 225 point BCV contract (no 2020 points) listed at $139pp and offered $125pp and the broker had no issue submitting it for me. The seller unfortunately did not accept and I couldn't work out a deal though. The broker did try to encourage me to accept a $131pp counter-offer but I didn't think it was low enough (ended up finding a fully loaded 200 point contract at $125pp from a different company).

I think low $90s. I have seen a contract sell for $88 pp that passed ROFR. I even saw one that got sold in the $70s for a huge contract, not sure if it passed ROFR, though.

If I were looking for a SSR contract (which I am...) I am looking for a high number of points for $90pp or less. Now is the time to do it while Disney isn't snagging them, too.

We have one currently in ROFR at $87 pp. it’s our first contract so hoping to high heaven it passes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter