Thrill rides at Sea World

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
The scariest thing at Sea World Orlando used to be David Hasselhoff singing “Falling in Love” during the Baywatch ski show. The show has been closed, but new terrors have risen in Sea World Orlando: Wild Arctic, Journey Into Atlantis, and Kraken.

Before you can enter the Wild Arctic area, you must ride aboard a flight simulator. You take flight in a helicopter called “White Thunder.” You begin on a leisurely flight across the Arctic and view Arctic animals. Things suddenly go wrong. You find yourself falling off an icy cliff and flying through an avalanche. The shakeup is similar to Star Tours at Disney-MGM Studios. If you can’t ride flight simulators, you can enter the non-motion line. You basically enter the same simulator and see the same ride film, but the cabin doesn’t move. The lines generally are much shorter for the non-motion flight.

The Wild Arctic gift shop has a special feature. If you go to the Observation Bay, you can view the simulator cabin from the outside. The Wild Arctic video plays on an overhead monitor and you can see the cabin shake, rise, and drop in sequence to the video.

Journey Into Atlantis is described as a “water coaster.” That means the ride begins as a water ride and ends up as a roller coaster. The storyline of the ride is hard to follow. I’ve ridden it several times and I have yet to figure out the plot. After reading some travel books, the storyline is that Atlantis has risen up from the depths of the ocean and you’re going to visit it. An old fisherman warns us not to go, but we do anyway. He sends a magical seahorse to protect us. We are greeted by Atlantians, but an evil witch doesn’t like us being there and we’re tossed out. Then we’re brought back into the witch’s lair, but we escape just in time.

Since I can’t figure out the plot, I concentrate on the best parts of the ride: the two drops. The first drop is a Splash Mountain-type drop. You can view the first drop from the lagoon. You’re dropped 50 feet on a Splash Mountain-type drop. Sploosh, you're wet! The next drop is hidden within the ride. You do a U-turn around the lagoon and go up a lifthill. Your boat engages steel tracks and becomes a roller coaster. You drop down 60 feet on S-shaped and banked curves. Sploosh, you're wet again!

The ride can get you very, very wet, especially if you’re sitting in the front seat. Since the last drop is hidden and partially in the dark, it takes people by surprise!

The next thrill ride recently opened up: Kraken, the roller coaster. The storyline behind this ride is that the sea creature Kraken has risen up from the ocean and taken residence at Sea World Orlando. The ride is a Bollinger and Mallibaud creation. They created most of the roller coasters at Busch Gardens Tampa and most of the coasters at Islands of Adventure. Roller coaster fans say that Bollinger and Mallibaud makes good coasters and Kraken is no exception.

Kraken has three outstanding features. The first feature is the first drop. You climb a large lift hill, do a small curve, and drop all the way to the ground. The second feature is airtime. Before the coaster travels underground, it goes up, slows down a bit, and drops you underground. During this time, you can feel a small bit of airtime. The last feature is its smoothness. The roller coaster isn’t very noisy; in fact, the screams are louder than the coaster itself. Some coasters will really jar your neck and bang your head around. Not Kraken. Your neck and head will be quite comfortable on this ride.

Wild Arctic lines tend to be the longest after the Shamu Adventure show. Journey Into Atlantis and Kraken are close to each other and Sea World Orlando has its own “thrill ride corner.” Try to ride them early in the morning because lines can get quite long. Since Journey Into Atlantis loads slower than Kraken, ride Journey Into Atlantis first and ride Kraken to dry off.

Thanks Barry, you just convinced me to ride Kraken. I love roller coasters but I hate when they jar your neck and head (like Hulk and Dueling Dragons) but I'm definitely going to try Kraken! Thanks for all the helpful hints. I'll keep checking these boards for more info on SW. Thanks again!:D

We just got back from orlando last night. We did discovery cove, and with that comes a 7-day sea world pass. We did two days, just taking our time, dodging the rain!!!!. We rode kraken with a 10 minute wait in the a.m. Then got right back on it again. Like he said, no head jerking, etc. I did feel a little quezzy though. Ive ridden many coasters, even at my age, and this was a smooth ride.

I'm not a roller coaster person. The scariest I like to do is Big Thunder Mountain @WDW. Kracken sounds too much for me. I like flume rides,somehow i feel safer in water.How would I do on the other thrill rides at Seaworld?

I believe there is only three actual rides, Kraken, Atlantis and the wild artic, which is a similator. Atlantis is a flume like roller coaster, you will most likely get wet. They are all fun, Dont miss the CirQuelMar the chinese acrobats in the theater by the Horses, two shows daily,it was a great show and very entertaining, be there early to catch the nut who does the pre show. This was as good an a show we saw in Vegas last month. Also the pets ahoy, the in the sea world theatre, its great.

Does anyone know the age and height requirements for these thrill rides?

Height requirements:

Wild Arctic: 42" or ride the stationary seats
Journey to Atlantis: 42"
Kraken: 54"

Thank you!! That was just what I was looking for. Now...does anyone have any of the Shamu show times? They are not listed on the sea world site and I don't know where else to look.

I don't think the two coasters were there last time I visited SeaWorld, but I LOVED the simulater ride Wild Arctic!!! It was really great. I was SOOOO disappointed with BodyWars after this great ride! BodyWars was just a lot of jostling around, but Wild Arctic was so fun!

I'm glad they finally have some thrill rides at SW. The park can be a little boring for people who love rides. Don't get me wrong, the park is great, but rides make it that much better!

If you go on Journey to Atlantis with a light boat (i.e. not many people in it) you will get soaked. Okay, so I know you don't go on this ride expecting to stay dry or anything, but you'll get wet in a part of the ride you don't expect..........

You'll come down the main slope (the one you can see from the outside) and get a lot of spray, but probably won't get too wet. But just as you thought you'd gotten away with it, you turn 180 degrees and do a really short 10 foot (or less) drop. Water will flood in and soak EVERYTHING!!!!

Once it's happened to you, it's very funny to watch other people from the outside of the ride and see if it happens to them (or am I just cruel like that ;) )

I have never been on Kraken of Atlantis. I love rollercoasters though. Is Kraken really scarey. I've ridden the Hulk and Duling Dragons. Journey to Atlantis isn't scary is it?:bounce: :Pinkbounc

I rode Kraken and its scary but very smooth ride, I screamed the whole way down and then went on it again!! I LOVED IT! Journey is not scary (at least to me) but a lot of fun. If you can ride the Hulk Journey is nothing, but don't miss it. Try doing them first thing in the morning, lines get a very long after 10am! I went first thing to Kraken and got on and rode and went right back on line and rode it again! Have fun!

Hi,

For those spectators with a mean streak in them at Journey to Atlantis for a quarter (25cents) you can press a button which sends a water spray over the poor unfortunates in the boat.

:D

Regards

TBS

Thanks for sharing Barry.:) We visited SW last July. It was our 1st visit in a number of years to the Orlando location. ("free" admission from Discovery Cove) We were really surprised how smooth and fun Kraken was. We also were not able to follow the Atlantis storyline after riding a couple of times. The 1st time we rode it, we thought the 1st SM type drop was it. Had the "Is that it?" feeling not knowing there was more to come. We did get pretty soaked and enjoyed the cooling off. They also had pretty good burgers at SW. Definitely making a return trip.:)

I have never been on Kraken of Atlantis. I love rollercoasters though. Is Kraken really scarey. I've ridden the Hulk and Duling Dragons
If you've ridden Hulk and DD, then you'll love Kraken---it's a much smoother ride. I was able to ride Kraken 3 times in a row--no line that day---and it was great. When I got off DD and Hulk I needed a break before I got back on ;)

Journey to Atlantis isn't scary is it?
The first drop is scary, but it's all fun after that. I find Splash Mtn at WDW easier to stay dry on than I do this ride. I don't think there's any escaping getting wet on this ride. :bounce:

Thanks Barry,

You've convinced me to give Journey to Atlantis a go.

I have two DDs, 5 and 9 years. Any advice on whether Journey to Atlantis would be too scary for them? They will have already tried Splash Mountain before we go to SeaWorld... thanks-

Carla in Illinois

From the top of the first hill on Kraken, you can see the Dolphin hotel - just look for the big blue triangle - then next to it on the left - Spaceship Earth. For some reason, I thought that was so cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter