Wondering if I could check my math with you to see if I’m understanding everything correctly.

I purchased UCT 7-day Park hoppers in Feb. 2018 for our upcoming trip. We hope to upgrade these to AP this weekend.

What I’m trying to figure out is when the tickets were “minted.” the expiration date on the tickets when I loaded them into MDE is 1/14/19. Does this mean I have 2017 or early 2018 tickets?

Here is what I’m expecting to pay based on your (very helpful ) calculator:
Current AP: $952.11 - UCT 2017 (?) 7-day PH: $516.53 = $435.58 for upgrade.

Does that seem right? Or, because the ticket expires in 2019, do I have 2018 tickets? If this is the case, it would be:

Current AP: $952.11 - UCT 2018 (?) 7-day PH: $521.85 = $430.26 for upgrade.

Not much of a difference in price, but, just wanted to make sure I have the “correct” number in my head for when we visit Guest Relations.

Thank you so much!

I'm so glad that you reported your good result.
I'm happy that your info from the Ticket Sticky was correct.

Regarding "gate price."
For decades, "gate price" was the common term that was used when discussing the price of a WDW ticket. Back then, the price for any given ticket, whether ordered in advance or purchased in-person, was the same.

HOWEVER, in recent years, Disney has started charging an EXTRA up-charge for tickets purchased in-person at the "gate."
(Actually, tickets bought in-person anywhere at Disney World.)
THAT is now the true WDW "gate price" (but, that price is RARELY posted on line.)
In recent years, the prices quoted on-line are based on ordering tickets in advance via the web or by phone. Those lists of "Disney prices" are found on the Disney sites and from the authorized ticket sellers sites.

The CONFUSION in discussing WDW prices is that many stilll continue to say, "gate price"
when they actually should be saying "pre-arrival" price.

There is no reason for a guest to expect to "get" the "gate price" for an existing pre-ordered ticket during an upgrade transaction...
because, the guest is not being charged the "gate price" for the NEW (upgraded) TICKET during the upgrade process.
So... the guest is not losing any money or value if the upgrade transaction is correctly performed by the Disney CM using the "pre-arrival" prices for all tickets concerned.

I, and many others, can accidentally continue to discuss (in error) the two price sets under the same umbrella term, "gate price."
I'm afraid that will continue be an issue of "term confusion" for quite awhile.

That said, the situation is that guests SHOULD be given the full Disney price listed on-line
("pre-arrival price") for their third-party authorized discounter tickets in the upgrade transaction.
That price is based on the date when that discounted ticket was minted by Disney and
sent to the authorized discounter.

The info on pricing that I have provided in post #6 "Cost to Upgrade Tickets" (HERE) near the top of the Ticket Sticky thread (the thread on which we are now posting) should reveal the correct value a guest should be getting when upgrading a specific ticket.

Thanks again to @WalkDisneyWorld for posting recent firsthand experience (based on coordinating answers from two different ticket locations) that backs up this information.

I purchased UCT 7-day Park hoppers in Feb. 2018 for our upcoming trip. We hope to upgrade these to AP this weekend.

What I’m trying to figure out is when the tickets were “minted.” the expiration date on the tickets when I loaded them into MDE is 1/14/19. Does this mean I have 2017 or early 2018 tickets?
To make this simple, contact UT and ask.
That’ll settle it in a hurry.
Have a great trip!

I purchased tickets from UT a week before the recent structure change. I purchased hard tickets (not e tickets) that came with a warning that they expire on February 28th - I'm going beginning of February, so no big deal.

Anyway, today I finally linked them to my MDE and it says they are valid through 3/14/19. Not that it makes any difference for us but just found it strange. This happen to anyone else before?

Eta - oops, wrong forum. Meant to put this in the main Theme Parks forum if someone can move it!

I purchased tickets from UT a week before the recent structure change. I purchased hard tickets (not e tickets) that came with a warning that they expire on February 28th - I'm going beginning of February, so no big deal.

Anyway, today I finally linked them to my MDE and it says they are valid through 3/14/19. Not that it makes any difference for us but just found it strange. This happen to anyone else before?
It’s because a ticket is valid for a total of 14 days when used to enter a park.

If you enter on 2/28, the ticket is valid through 3/14.

I was just successful in adding the PH option online to my MYW package purchased pre Oct 16 without having the base tickets adjusted to the new ticket system prices. My trip is the week before Easter next year and I thought I was going to have to pay the adjusted price on top of the PH price but I didn’t so that was nice. For 3 adult, 1 child, 6 day base tickets in the new system vs old system it is an increase of about $255 and adding PH would have made my total around $575 but my total was only the PH price of 319.48.
I tried looking to see if I could add PH to my sons ticket but don’t see anywhere to do that. Maybe it’s because I don’t have a package.

Ok I’m back with another question. I just saw a post elsewhere that say tickets as part of a package can no longer be activated early. Since I bought tickets prior to this last round of changes where ticket cost is based on date will I still be able to activate a day early. This will REALLY screw up my plans if I can’t. Or if I can’t can I upgrade that ticket to an AP a day before it is active??

I tried looking to see if I could add PH to my sons ticket but don’t see anywhere to do that. Maybe it’s because I don’t have a package.
I made my changes through the package reservation so I think you would have to call if you don’t have a package.

Ok I’m back with another question. I just saw a post elsewhere that say tickets as part of a package can no longer be activated early.
Since I bought tickets prior to this last round of changes where ticket cost is based on date
will I still be able to activate a day early.
Yes.

Ok, I have a 3 day PH Ticket that will expire 1/19. We aren’t going down until 2/19 so I will need to get a new ticket before our FP+ window opens on 12/27. The ticket is an unused one purchased as part of a November 2017 Free DDP package in May 2017. How the heck do I figure out what I paid for it so I know how much the new ticket (start date 2/25/19) should cost?!?!
Dear God, this is becoming so complicated!!!!

Ok, I have a 3 day PH Ticket that will expire 1/19. We aren’t going down until 2/19 so I will need to get a new ticket before our FP+ window opens on 12/27. The ticket is an unused one purchased as part of a November 2017 Free DDP package in May 2017. How the heck do I figure out what I paid for it so I know how much the new ticket (start date 2/25/19) should cost?!?!
Dear God, this is becoming so complicated!!!!

You don't need to know what you paid for it.

Go HERE and look up the price of a 3-day PH in May of 2017.
That will be your ticket's "value" when traded-in on a a new ticket.

But, more important is that we don't yet know if you will even be able to upgrade to the new ticket in advance of your WDW trip.

Last edited:
You don't need to know what you paid for it.

Go HERE and look up the price of a 3-day PH in May of 2017.
That will be your ticket's "value" when traded-in on a a new ticket.

But, more important is that we don't yet know if you will even be able to upgrade to the new ticket in advance of your WDW trip.

My DD who lives in Orlando was going to do it for me. Are you saying you aren’t sure it can be done at all prior to the actual expiration date? Prior to me being there in person? At all?

My DD who lives in Orlando was going to do it for me. Are you saying you aren’t sure it can be done at all prior to the actual expiration date? Prior to me being there in person? At all?

We know that the upgrade CAN be done by a guest in-person at WDW.

But, you didn't mention that in the original question.

It should not matter who does the upgrade as long as the actual hard ticket is in their possession, or has been transferred to that guest's MDX account.

Question about upgrading a MYW ticket to an AP: my husband and I plan to upgrade our family’s tickets to AP’s. It’s a Christmas surprise for our son so we plan to have his grandma watch him that day. Does he need to be with us in order for us to upgrade his ticket? We need his AP to be active so we can all book FP’s for a late January trip.

Question about upgrading a MYW ticket to an AP: my husband and I plan to upgrade our family’s tickets to AP’s. It’s a Christmas surprise for our son so we plan to have his grandma watch him that day. Does he need to be with us in order for us to upgrade his ticket? We need his AP to be active so we can all book FP’s for a late January trip.

The rule is that all guests 18 years and older activating an AP must be present with legal photo ID. Younger kids don't need to be present.

We know that the upgrade CAN be done by a guest in-person at WDW.

But, you didn't mention that in the original question.

It should not matter who does the upgrade as long as the actual hard ticket is in their possession, or has been transferred to that guest's MDX account.

The ticket was originally hers. She transferred it to me cuz she has an AP. Will she have to transfer it back, upgrade, then transfer it back to me?

The ticket was originally hers. She transferred it to me cuz she has an AP.

Will she have to transfer it back, upgrade, then transfer it back to me?

That should work.

Otherwise, I don't see how she could upgrade the ticket if she does not have direct access to that ticket.

Hoping someone can spot check my plan before I pull the trigger.

Family of 6 - 1 child aged the rest are over 10. Florida residents.

Looking for the most efficient tickets to purchase and bridge to annual passes. Hope to end up with 1 adult gold pass, 4 silver adult passes, and 1 child silver pass. The main reason for the 1 gold pass is for the photo perk.

I checked UT and Visit Orlando. Seems Visit Orlando is significantly cheaper with the "GIFT" coupon code right now for Black Friday.

Here's what I'm seeing, using a park start date of 12/27/18:

Best option:
Purchase 1 Adult 10 day park hopper+ from Visit Orlando for $562.93, current Disney Value is $634.63. Cost to bridge to a Gold Pass $13.96.

Purchase 4 Adult 7 day 1 park per day from Visit Orlando for $1,806.28. Current Disney Value is $2,027.28. Cost to bridge all to a Silver Pass $13.28

Purchase 1 Child 10 day 1 park per day from Visit Orlando for $451.81. Current Disney Value is $507.15. Cost to bridge $2.99

Total paid to Visit Orlando: $2,821.08 (current Disney Value $3,169.06)
Cost to bridge (total): $30.23
Total cost: $2,851.31. Savings $317.75 (10.03%)

Does this look right? I would be able to use the park tickets during what is typically a black out period for passholders, then upgrade on the last day for $30.23?

Hoping someone can spot check my plan before I pull the trigger.

Family of 6 - 1 child aged the rest are over 10. Florida residents.

Looking for the most efficient tickets to purchase and bridge to annual passes. Hope to end up with 1 adult gold pass, 4 silver adult passes, and 1 child silver pass. The main reason for the 1 gold pass is for the photo perk.

I checked UT and Visit Orlando. Seems Visit Orlando is significantly cheaper with the "GIFT" coupon code right now for Black Friday.

Here's what I'm seeing, using a park start date of 12/27/18:

Best option:
Purchase 1 Adult 10 day park hopper+ from Visit Orlando for $562.93, current Disney Value is $634.63. Cost to bridge to a Gold Pass $13.96.

Purchase 4 Adult 7 day 1 park per day from Visit Orlando for $1,806.28. Current Disney Value is $2,027.28. Cost to bridge all to a Silver Pass $13.28

Purchase 1 Child 10 day 1 park per day from Visit Orlando for $451.81. Current Disney Value is $507.15. Cost to bridge $2.99

Total paid to Visit Orlando: $2,821.08 (current Disney Value $3,169.06)
Cost to bridge (total): $30.23
Total cost: $2,851.31. Savings $317.75 (10.03%)

1. Does this look right?
2. I would be able to use the park tickets during what is typically a black out period for passholders, then upgrade on the last day for $30.23?

1. Looks right.

2. Yes. You would be able to use the park tickets during what is typically a black out period for passholders, then upgrade on the last day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter