I just chatted with a CM who didn't really answer my question, so I'll post it here:

My husband and I are interested in booking free dining for 5 days in September. We are platinum AP holders with a TiW card, but when I crunched the numbers, it seems that between Food and Wine snacks and Signature dinners, it might be worth it to do free dining with the upgrade to DXDP.

Does anyone know if it's possible to book the free dining package with 4-day park hoppers, but save the tickets to apply to our AP renewal in August 2020? Or is there an expiration or other issue with doing this?

Thank you!

I just chatted with a CM who didn't really answer my question, so I'll post it here:

My husband and I are interested in booking free dining for 5 days in September. We are platinum AP holders with a TiW card, but when I crunched the numbers, it seems that between Food and Wine snacks and Signature dinners, it might be worth it to do free dining with the upgrade to DXDP.

Does anyone know if it's possible to book the free dining package with 4-day park hoppers, but
1. save the tickets to apply to our AP renewal in August 2020?
2. Or is there an expiration or other issue with doing this?
1. Yes.
2. Doesn't really matter.

I have a question regarding upgrading to an AP. I currently have a package booked for a March 2019 trip that includes 3 day park tickets for DH and myself. I am considering an AP for just me as a few other trips planned with friends/family over the next year. The math makes sense. I would like to purchase DAH tickets for DH and I for the March trip and obviously I would like to get the AP discount. So my questions are:

1. Can I call now and upgrade my 3 day ticket to an AP and pay the difference in price without effecting DH's tickets and the package already booked and paid in full?
2. If I can upgrade can I purchase the DAH tickets with the AP discount before arriving in March and actually activating my AP.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

I have a question regarding upgrading to an AP. I currently have a package booked for a March 2019 trip that includes 3 day park tickets for DH and myself. I am considering an AP for just me as a few other trips planned with friends/family over the next year. The math makes sense. I would like to purchase DAH tickets for DH and I for the March trip and obviously I would like to get the AP discount. So my questions are:

1. Can I call now and upgrade my 3 day ticket to an AP and pay the difference in price without effecting DH's tickets and the package already booked and paid in full?
2. If I can upgrade can I purchase the DAH tickets with the AP discount before arriving in March and actually activating my AP.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!
1. Nope. ALL tickets in a package must be of the same kind right up until check-in.
Once you arrive, each ticket can be upgraded (or not) individually.
2. See #1.

1. Nope. ALL tickets in a package must be of the same kind right up until check-in.
Once you arrive, each ticket can be upgraded (or not) individually.
2. See #1.
Thank you! I had a feeling that might be the case.

1. Yes.
2. Doesn't really matter.
Awesome. So in that case, how do I ensure that the tickets don't activate when I go to the parks in September? Do I need to call guest relations to make sure only my AP is linked in MDE?

Awesome. So in that case, how do I ensure that the tickets don't activate when I go to the parks in September? Do I need to call guest relations to make sure only my AP is linked in MDE?

An easy, self-directed way is to create a "fake name" (or two) in your MDE account, then transfer the tickets you
do not want to use into those "fake name" guests.

Then, when you're ready to use/upgrade those tickets, transfer them back to your real names.

My DD has an older 6 day base ticket which I used to book FP's for an early March stay. I recently purchased her a one day pass designated for use on a specific day later this week. Will there be a problem with the system getting the passes mixed up? Do I need to do anything to make sure it uses the right pass for the each of her two trips?

My DD has an older 6 day base ticket which I used to book FP's for an early March stay. I recently purchased her a one day pass designated for use on a specific day later this week. Will there be a problem with the system getting the passes mixed up?
Do I need to do anything to make sure it uses the right pass for the each of her two trips?

IF that older ticket has never been used at all...
An easy, self-directed way is to create a "fake name" in your MDE account, then transfer the ticket you
do not want to use to that "fake name" guest.
Then, when you're ready to use/upgrade that ticket, transfer it back to her real name.

Another way (and this will work even if the older ticket HAS been partially used)
is to go to any Guest Relations BEFORE you go to a park gate and have the Priority
of the ticket that you DO want to use set to the HIGHEST priority.
It will be used "first."

An easy, self-directed way is to create a "fake name" (or two) in your MDE account, then transfer the tickets you
do not want to use into those "fake name" guests.

Then, when you're ready to use/upgrade those tickets, transfer them back to your real names.
Awesome, thanks for the info! I never would have thought of that.

IF that older ticket has never been used at all...
An easy, self-directed way is to create a "fake name" in your MDE account, then transfer the ticket you
do not want to use to that "fake name" guest.
Then, when you're ready to use/upgrade that ticket, transfer it back to her real name.

Another way (and this will work even if the older ticket HAS been partially used)
is to go to any Guest Relations BEFORE you go to a park gate and have the Priority
It will be used "first."
I actually had move the unused older pass to her from the "fake name" location I had it in MDE, so I could book her FP's. If I move it back there wouldn't that remove her March FP's as well? Thank you!

I actually had move the unused older pass to her from the "fake name" location I had it in MDE, so I could book her FP's. If I move it back there wouldn't that remove her March FP's as well? Thank you!

Likely it would.
So...
Go to any Guest Relations BEFORE you go to a park gate and have the Priority
It will be used "first."

Immediately before she enters the park this week, move her older pass to the Fake Name. Then, after she has entered the park, move the pass from the Fake Name back to her.

As long as you move the pass back to her sometime that day, she’ll keep her FPs.

Does anyone know if it's possible to book the free dining package with 4-day park hoppers, but save the tickets to apply to our AP renewal in August 2020? Or is there an expiration or other issue with doing this?

Thank you!
You could also upgrade the free dining tickets to AP renewal vouchers and hold on to those for August 2020. I believe can still book fastpasses with your renewal voucher instead of having to wait until you are at Disney since the free dining tickets likely expire in 2019.

You could also upgrade the free dining tickets to AP renewal vouchers and hold on to those for August 2020. I believe can still book fastpasses with your renewal voucher instead of having to wait until you are at Disney since the free dining tickets likely expire in 2019.

I don't know of such a thing as a "renewal voucher."
I do know of an "AP voucher" (actually, officially its an "AP certificate") but that's not for renewal,
its an actual AP ready to be activated.
You CAN book FP+ if you have an "AP certificate,"
but I don't think you can (in fact you can't) book FP+ if all you have is a potential for doing an AP renewal.
And, (under normal circumstances) AP renewals can only be done within 60 days before an AP anniversary date.

(We may just be caught up in terminology.)

Trying to figure out if upgrading just me to AP will get enough discounts to pay for itself. I doubt it. But you never know.

Won't likely be back this year so it's really just about seeing if one person's upgrade would actually be worthwhile. Upgrading our tickets for Universal will be no cost. So then I would have an AP to Universal and Disney. Hmmm.......

Anyway, currently have full price 5 day park hoppers to start. Would need $419 in discounts to break even.

1-Would someone be willing to check on AP rates at BC/YC/BWI fro 2/26-3/3? I have a More Magic offer booked for 30% off. Not sure how much better AP rate will be and if there is availability at this late date.

2- What is the AP DAH discount? Can I use it to buy DAH tickets for my family of four?

3-Same question for EMM.

4- All meals will be onsite so dining discounts help.

5-Discount for fireworks cruise? (If someone cancels so I can snag a reservation).

6-Other discounts I should take into account?

Thanks for entertaining my fantasy.

1-Would someone be willing to check on AP rates at BC/YC/BWI fro 2/26-3/3? I have a More Magic offer booked for 30% off. Not sure how much better AP rate will be and if there is availability at this late date.

2- What is the AP DAH discount? Can I use it to buy DAH tickets for my family of four?

3-Same question for EMM.

5-Discount for fireworks cruise? (If someone cancels so I can snag a reservation).

1- There is not necessarily an "AP discount" for those dates.
(Might be. Don't know.)
AP room discounts come and go at different times of year, every year.
But, your current 30% off is a very good deal. Wouldn't necessarily expect as good or better from an AP deal.

2, 3, etc. Unless you are a major shopper of WDW merchandise (some are) the other discounts are actually slight and would be difficult to overcome your out-of-pocket cost
for the AP upgrade.

I only buy an AP based on if I can use the theme park entries enough to be an advantage.
(Maybe the Memory Maker/PhotoPass is a decent advantage.)
We don't drive at WDW, so free theme park parking is not a factor for us.
The other AP perks I consider just a bonus.

Last edited:
Trying to figure out if upgrading just me to AP will get enough discounts to pay for itself. I doubt it. But you never know.

Won't likely be back this year so it's really just about seeing if one person's upgrade would actually be worthwhile. Upgrading our tickets for Universal will be no cost. So then I would have an AP to Universal and Disney. Hmmm.......

Anyway, currently have full price 5 day park hoppers to start. Would need $419 in discounts to break even.

3-Same question for EMM.

1. There’s availability at BC and BWI. The BWI looks especially good. $349 a night Garden view room with AP Discount. The Gift of Magic discount for that same room is showing at $430/night.

3. No discount for EMM

6. 20% off all merch adds up. No minimum to purchase to get the discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter