I currently have a Platinum AP that expires Nov 3. I have trips planned for Dec 2019 and Jan, May & Dec 2020. As much as I would like to save the $150 on renewing my current AP, it will expire before my Dec 2020 trip.
1. So my best bet is to just let this one expire and purchase a new AP for my Dec 2019 trip, right?
2. Is there a better way to do this that I am missing (wish I could put my current AP “on hold” until Dec-haha)?
1. Yes.
Just make sure that the dates of your Dec. 2019 trip are "later" than the dates of your Dec. 2020 trip.
(Example:
2019 Trip- Dec. 17-25, 2019.
2020 Trip- Dec. 08-17, 2020.)

2. Yours is a VERY common dilemma. (MANY holders of APs would like to get uses longer than 366 days.)

Last edited:
1. That's not how AP room discounts work. You must pre-book a room that has an AP discount before checking in.
2. You do not need to HAVE an AP in order to pre-book a room that has an AP discount.
You can first book the AP-discounted room, and not need to upgrade to (or purchase) an AP until after you arrive at WDW.
3. Room rates are NOT "updated" to include AP discounts. AP discounted rooms must be booked in advance.
Thanks for the info. To make sure I am understanding... Can I call Disney and ask what the AP rates are for Pop Century for the dates I am going and then book the same dates and then cancel my existing reservation? Then I assume the first day I go to park I can upgrade to AP.. Do I need to go to hotel lobby after to show them I am an AP?

Thanks for the info. To make sure I am understanding...
1. Can I call Disney and ask what the AP rates are for Pop Century for the dates I am going and
2. then book the same dates and then cancel my existing reservation?
3. Then I assume the first day I go to park I can upgrade to AP..
4. Do I need to go to hotel lobby after to show them I am an AP?
1. Well, yes and no.
There are not necessarily ANY discounted rooms (at any resort) during all times of year.
(Very often there are no AP discounts at all, and sometimes if there ARE discounts, the rooms so designated have all been fully pre-booked for your dates.)
2. But, if there ARE some AP rooms available, then yes, you can first BOOK that room... THEN cancel your first booking.
3. Yes.
4. That can be done, but is usually not necessary.
Your guest file (in MyDisneyExperience) will show what kind of ticket that you are using.

Last edited:
I think I know the answers to these questions but I wanted to make sure.

My son-in-law has a MMW 5 day park hopper bought in 2015 that he hasn't used yet. My daughter booked a package trip for 2020 and bought 5 day park hoppers for the family, including him. He now has two tickets, a non-expiring 5 day PH and a date based ticket.

1. She thinks that she can call Disney and ask them to give her a credit for the 2015 ticket or exchange the 2020 ticket for the 2015 ticket. I told her that I didn't think Disney would do that.

2. She could also cancel the package, book it as room only and buy tickets for everyone except him. The question is - what would they charge her if she wanted to add a day to the 2015 ticket? Would it be the same price as adding a day to her 2020 tickets (approximately $12.77) or would they make her pay the difference between what the 2015 ticket cost and the 2020 ticket cost?

Thanks!

I think I know the answers to these questions but I wanted to make sure.

My son-in-law has a MMW 5 day park hopper bought in 2015 that he hasn't used yet. My daughter booked a package trip for 2020 and bought 5 day park hoppers for the family, including him.
He now has two tickets, a non-expiring 5 day PH and a date based ticket.

1a. She thinks that she can call Disney and ask them to give her a credit for the 2015 ticket
1b. or exchange the 2020 ticket for the 2015 ticket.
1c. I told her that I didn't think Disney would do that.

2a. She could also cancel the package, book it as room only and buy tickets for everyone except him. The question is -
2b. what would they charge her if she wanted to add a day to the 2015 ticket?
2c. Would it be the same price as adding a day to her 2020 tickets (approximately $12.77) or
2d. would they make her pay the difference between what the 2015 ticket cost and the 2020 ticket cost?

Thanks!
1a. Nope.
1b. Nope.
1c. You are correct.

2a. Yes.
2b. Go to Post #6 of the thread on which we are now posting. The method to compute upgrade cost is there.
2c. Nope.
2d. Go to Post #6 of the thread on which we are now posting. The method to compute upgrade cost is there.

My daughter and I each have 10 day unused hopper tickets left over from a package that we will want to upgrade to an annual passes in 2021. I was told that we can only do that in the park. But if I can't upgrade the tickets until I arrive, then I can't book any FP+, right? Is there any way around this? I have an AP now and will be making a few trips before I need to upgrade the old tickets. I'm trying to figure out how I can upgrade those tickets in the park to something that I can link to my MDE so that I can make fastpasses when the time comes. I won't be renewing the AP because I'm going to have a long gap between trips after my current AP expires in August 2020.

My daughter and I each have 10 day unused hopper tickets left over from a package that we will want to upgrade to an annual passes in 2021. I was told that we can only do that in the park. But if I can't upgrade the tickets until I arrive, then I can't book any FP+, right? Is there any way around this? I have an AP now and will be making a few trips before I need to upgrade the old tickets. I'm trying to figure out how I can upgrade those tickets in the park to something that I can link to my MDE so that I can make fastpasses when the time comes. I won't be renewing the AP because I'm going to have a long gap between trips after my current AP expires in August 2020.

You can upgrade those tickets at any time. Just have the info with you on your next visit. Upgrade each old ticket to a new AP voucher. The vouchers can be linked to MDE, allowing you to book FP+ for the future trip, and then be activated on the trip when you are ready to use it. Bonus - by doing it sooner rather than later, you can upgrade before another AP price increase.

Enjoy your vacation!

You can upgrade those tickets at any time. Just have the info with you on your next visit. Upgrade each old ticket to a new AP voucher. The vouchers can be linked to MDE, allowing you to book FP+ for the future trip, and then be activated on the trip when you are ready to use it. Bonus - by doing it sooner rather than later, you can upgrade before another AP price increase.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks so much! That makes perfect sense.

Okay. I have read the first posts and I can’t seem to determine my answer, so I’ll ask my questions here. I have a 6 day park hopper that is set to begin December 12 that already has fastpasses attaches to it. However, my husband’s family has decided to take a quick trip in November and I was gonna upgrade anyway due to a trip next September. If I just go down with them in November, could I go ahead and upgrade the ticket set to begin December 12? Would it mess up any of my fastpasses that are already made?

I have a 6 day park hopper that is set to begin December 12 that already has fastpasses attaches to it. However, my husband’s family has decided to take a quick trip in November and
1. I was gonna upgrade anyway due to a trip next September.
2. If I just go down with them in November, could I go ahead and upgrade the ticket set to begin December 12? Would it mess up any of my fastpasses that are already made?
1. Upgrade to AP, I assume.
2. If you upgrade to AP before your Dec. trip, you will be able to keep up to 7 days worth of already-booked FPs.

1. Upgrade to AP, I assume.
2. If you upgrade to AP before your Dec. trip, you will be able to keep up to 7 days worth of already-booked FPs.
Yes, sorry I didn’t make that clear. I will be upgrading to an AP. Thanks so much for your response!

My son and I both had package tickets this summer that we didn't use because we had AP's. My understanding is that the value of them is on my account and I can apply that value to new tickets (it was a 5 day PH I think). We are staying at the Dolphin this time and arrive in the afternoon in a couple of days. Is there a ticket area at the Dolphin or Swan I can go to that they can apply this value to new tickets or do I need to go to a park? (fyi those package tickets don't show up anymore in MDE but I'm told the value is there - still makes me nervous I'm gonna show up and they can't find it).

My son and I both had package tickets this summer that we didn't use because we had AP's.
1. My understanding is that the value of them is on my account and I can apply that value to new tickets (it was a 5 day PH I think).
We are staying at the Dolphin this time and arrive in the afternoon in a couple of days.
2. Is there a ticket area at the Dolphin or Swan I can go to that they can apply this value to new tickets or do I need to go to a park? (fyi those package tickets don't show up anymore in MDE but I'm told the value is there -
3. still makes me nervous I'm gonna show up and they can't find it).
1. Yes.
2. Go to Epcot's International Gateway for Guest Relations and/or ticket booths there.
You can ride the free Friendship shuttle or walk. (See map below.)
3. All part of the infamous glitchy and unreliable MyDisneyExperience software. Sorry.

DHS-Epcot-IG_012311.jpg

1. Yes.
2. Go to Epcot's International Gateway for Guest Relations and/or ticket booths there.
You can ride the free Friendship shuttle or walk. (See map below.)
3. All part of the infamous glitchy and unreliable MyDisneyExperience software. Sorry.

DHS-Epcot-IG_012311.jpg

Haha! yes their ticket tracking is a mess - MDE has often shown phantom tickets for me. My son's AP did show up for a long time and took forever for them to fix. Many thanks for the info! We may go over to DHS rather than Epcot (because my son wants to go to DHS first I think) - guessing they have the same outside Guest Relations window but if they don't let me know or if you think Epcot would be better for some reason. It would give us an excuse to ride the Skyliner - can't wait to try it! Thank you SO much!! :flower3:

Haha! yes their ticket tracking is a mess - MDE has often shown phantom tickets for me. My son's AP did show up for a long time and took forever for them to fix. Many thanks for the info! We may go over to DHS rather than Epcot (because my son wants to go to DHS first I think) - guessing they have the same outside Guest Relations window but if they don't let me know or if you think Epcot would be better for some reason. It would give us an excuse to ride the Skyliner - can't wait to try it! Thank you SO much!! :flower3:
Yes, regarding Guest Relations and ticketing outside DHS.
(All parks have GR and tickets outside the gates.)
You're welcome and have a great trip!

Put me in the category of "Can't figure out Disney math".

I have trying to figure out which ticket is the best to upgrade to AP. I am looking on Undercover Tourist. The 10 day with PH is listed as $75 off Disney's prices. But when I run the numbers, I come up with $52 (looking at all tix before tax). What am I missing?

Put me in the category of "Can't figure out Disney math".

I have trying to figure out which ticket is the best to upgrade to AP. I am looking on Undercover Tourist. The 10 day with PH is listed as $75 off Disney's prices. But when I run the numbers, I come up with $52 (looking at all tix before tax). What am I missing?

Their "savings" over gate price includes tax.

I pulled up 10 day park hopper tickets on both sites with a start date of May 17, 2020

Disney advanced purchase: $606.32 before tax, $645.74 with tax
Undercover Tourist: $574.49 (includes tax)

Savings over advanced purchase price with tax: $71.25
Savings over advanced purchase before tax: $31.42

Disney doesn't show you the amount with tax until you select the # of tickets. UT does not add tax.

Disney doesn't show you the amount with tax until you select the # of tickets.
UT does not add tax.
Agreed, but tor the sake of accuracy and clarity...
Rather than saying it as, "UT does not add tax."
The statement would be more understandable to state, "UT posted prices include the tax."

Agreed, but tor the sake of accuracy and clarity...
Rather than saying it as, "UT does not add tax."
The statement would be more understandable to state, "UT posted prices include the tax."

Very true. It's more that THEY get a bigger discount and then wrap the tax into the price they publish lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter