Tiered Pricing on Tickets....

Nope 100%! When I first started pricing this trip out in late January, the same room at Port Orleans is now double my first quote. For the same week and same amount of people. I realize my first quote was prior to the latest price hike, but every time I look, it goes up. It priced us offsite

I'm so sorry to hear that. Seems like this is happening yo more and more guests. :(

Nope 100%! When I first started pricing this trip out in late January, the same room at Port Orleans is now double my first quote. For the same week and same amount of people. I realize my first quote was prior to the latest price hike, but every time I look, it goes up. It priced us offsite

You're missing something, because 2018 prices were set and released last year. Disney doesn't "jump" prices during the year on their rooms. They're set in stone.

https://www.mousesavers.com/2018-port-orleans-riverside-room-rates-season-dates/

You may have lost a discount (they had a couple promos running then), room type may have changed, etc... but the room rates themselves did not double.

There used to be morning and evening EMH pretty much every day. The morning would be at a different park than the evening. I can remember having a lot of EMH options to choose from. Gradually they have been reduced and reduced. No one can say for sure that EMM and DAK type things have replaced any EMH, because the EMH had already been reduced by so much. But it looks very suspicious when you just take it at face value.
Yep! I had to go back a few years.... but there were definitely both EVERY DAY! AND.... the evening was 3 hours!!! I think it was in 2013 that they started to cut it all back. It was significantly cut that year. Then the "paid" EMM followed shortly..... in either 2014 or 2015. So.... IMHO.... I think it was part of the plan all along to get people to pay for it!

They remove and take and give us back options for a fee.

Like, when fireworks viewing was a choice of FP+, was popular, and they decided to monetize it.

And quite frankly, they would have never just removed the one or switched it to a paid option without a break or people would see the direct correlation and be even more upset.

But after years of the hours being cut, lo and behold, they offer us a solution. That on top of outrageous ticket and food increases, costs almost as much as a full day ticket.
Exactly!!!

Free dining isn't a perk for staying onsite. It's a promotion. It isn't available to all onsite guests, only those who book a certain type of reservation on certain dates.

Disney sets hotel prices in the summer for the following year and doesn’t change them (as far as I know). I find it a little difficult to believe that you priced a non-discounted room through Disney at POFQ for less than $200 per night.

Small bit of clarification above, for the first time in a long, long time, last month Disney DID raise their previously published 2018 rack rates for the rest of the year, at least in the Deluxes (I’m not sure if they also did at the other categories). The change was small ($15-$20 per night), but a change none-the-less. Yes, very rare to see a mid-year rate change like that, but it can happen.

That doesn’t explain a doubling of a price of course - something else obviously in play there.

Disney sets hotel prices in the summer for the following year and doesn’t change them (as far as I know). I find it a little difficult to believe that you priced a non-discounted room through Disney at POFQ for less than $200 per night.
Well, actually.... if she was pulling up 2017 rates (if 2018 wasn't up yet) on the Disney site it would have been slightly below $200. I think the 2017 value season standard room rate was $190/night. And the 2018 rate is $199.
Could be when she looked again maybe didn't realize it was a different timeframe? I've made that mistake so many times! Always forget to refresh my screen!
And I think someone else just posted that some resort rates did go up recently.
You never know when Disney is going to sneak something in on us!!!

Well, actually.... if she was pulling up 2017 rates (if 2018 wasn't up yet) on the Disney site it would have been slightly below $200. I think the 2017 value season standard room rate was $190/night. And the 2018 rate is $199.
Could be when she looked again maybe didn't realize it was a different timeframe? I've made that mistake so many times! Always forget to refresh my screen!

Could be, but $199 is not even close to double $190! (And I was factoring tax in as well.)

The problem is she said she started pricing in January. The 2018 rates were up and active. In fact, the 2018 rates were set last summer/fall, so, that doesn't explain the change. Not that it did anyways, because $9 a night is not anywhere close to double the price.

Could be, but $199 is not even close to double $190! (And I was factoring tax in as well.)

The problem is she said she started pricing in January. The 2018 rates were up and active. In fact, the 2018 rates were set last summer/fall, so, that doesn't explain the change. Not that it did anyways, because $9 a night is not anywhere close to double the price.
Very true!!! But like I said.... it's possible she looked at the incorrect time or something! Who knows? just giving her the benefit of the doubt! People make mistakes when they are looking at the computer screen.

It takes a huge volume of guests to keep the parks, resorts and restaurants filled. Once they start pricing people out, the effects of a recession will be much harder since its operation is dependent on a certain volume of business.

It's fairly easy for Disney to dial back prices with discounts. They have a whole department of people who monitor the slightest hint of softer attendance and make adjustments to hit maximum revenue targets. If there's a significant recession, the promotions will start coming out. Right now, they've got the opposite problem... so many people coming to the parks and very high hotel occupancy rates... so they need to figure out how to create more "extras" that people are willing to pay for.

Yeah but that (EMH) has also been given to the hotels that are not Disney ones that are by Disney Springs.
I don’t have a problem with Disney giving perks to the Disney Springs Hotels. Disney owns the land, and gets a “piece of the action” from the hotel owners. Having people stay there means a larger semi-captive audience for Disney.

Disney hotels are already operating near capacity right now. Building new hotels takes years and burns up a lot of cash. It kind of makes sense that they're turning to the other on-property hotels for EMH, and extending more privileges to select Good Neighbor hotels. The demand is so high there's no space for Disney to capture the money, so they turn to other hotels. I wouldn't be surprised if some additional revenue share was negotiated for these perks. And if things take a downturn, Disney can always decide not to renew those benefits.

I'd probably search some different resorts. I have seen prices jump up 100% or more, but usually that's because all that's left is a room at rack rates, because all of the promotionally priced rooms were sold out. POFQ is one of the smaller properties, and gets very high demand, so any promotions there will disappear quickly. When they get down to the last few rooms, they're going to be at rack rates.

Right now, they've got the opposite problem... so many people coming to the parks and very high hotel occupancy rates... so they need to figure out how to create more "extras" that people are willing to pay for.

Park attendance was down in 2016 and 2017. Obviously too soon to tell for 2018. But, what that means is despite people stating that the parks feel more crowded the last couple years, by the actual numbers, they were less so. I suspect that the reason it has felt/appeared more crowded is because of the crowd shifting that is starting to happen.

Small bit of clarification above, for the first time in a long, long time, last month Disney DID raise their previously published 2018 rack rates for the rest of the year, at least in the Deluxes (I’m not sure if they also did at the other categories). The change was small ($15-$20 per night), but a change none-the-less. Yes, very rare to see a mid-year rate change like that, but it can happen.

That doesn’t explain a doubling of a price of course - something else obviously in play there.
This is interesting you say this because in one of my FB groups, someone said that the rate had increased for, at least, Pop. There was discussion because many people said the rates shouldn't increase. So it looks like maybe it was all across the board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter