Time to allow for dropping passengers and returning rental car at Port Canaveral

I think this is an easy question, but can't seem to find an answer in search:

We have an 11:45 PAT (the earliest available when we booked). We'll have a rental car, and the plan is to drop my family at the port, then me go return the car and take the rental place's shuttle to the port.
1) How long does that process (drop-off, return car, take shuttle back) usually take?
2) Should I be dropping THEM off around the PAT, or should I be aiming for me to be back on the shuttle at the PAT?

Thanks!

Who is your rental company? When we rented from Alamo Sept 2018, we dropped off the luggage at port then we both rode in the car to the rental office, dropped the car off and then both of us took the shuttle back to port. It took less than an hour. We were back before our PAT which was around 11:30. When we rented from Budget last March, 2019, we did the same except Budget was not taking folks to the ship until "later", their shuttles would come in full, drop off the folks and head out empty. We waited over an hour before calling Uber. It was a most unpleasant experience that has soured us on every using Budget again.

Thanks for the replies (and that link). It looks like the day we depart it's an "average" day (Fantasy and 1 other ship of similar size), but the day we get back (when I will be picking up a rental car) is one with over 14,000 passengers!!! So.... I will plan to expect plenty of time to pick up my rental car after we dock!
Hey Keyser,

Since your trip has already taken place, how was it? Did you stick to the plan or did you change anything? Any tips?

It went about like I expected. Dropping off was not too bad at all. I dropped family and luggage at the Port, just a few minutes before our PAT, then went to return the rental car. I happened to be there at the worst possible time for the shuttle: there was a single large group in front of me that took up the entire(!!) shuttle to the port, and they had only one shuttle, so I had to wait for it to make a round trip before I got to leave for the port. I was the only one waiting most of that time, but another family came right before the shuttle returned.But, it was all smooth, and if it hadn't been for that extra wait, it would've been quite fast (I'd guess 15 minutes would've been plenty if I could have fit on that first shuttle, though it ended up taking close to 1/2 hour). In planning next time, if doing the drop and then return car, I would aim to arrive at the port 15-20 minutes before the PAT, and so we'd all be there ready to check in right around the PAT. If it were a "busy" port day, though, I don't know if they'd run more shuttles (in which case it would probably balance out), or if they'd still have just the one (which might slow things considerably).

The return day was in fact significantly busier. We had no trouble getting a shuttle from the port to the car rental place, but the car rental site was quite crowded. There was a fairly long line that actually moved reasonably fast, but I'd guess it was at least 20 minutes wait there to get the car. No actual problems, though.

When we went on our first DCL cruise two years ago, we did family drop-off & then rental car return. The line for the drop-off area at the cruise terminal was pretty long when we arrived, so I ended up waiting in line twice (once to drop off family & another on the shuttle). I am debating whether we should all return rental car & hop on the shuttle together this time.

LAX

When we went on our first DCL cruise two years ago, we did family drop-off & then rental car return. The line for the drop-off area at the cruise terminal was pretty long when we arrived, so I ended up waiting in line twice (once to drop off family & another on the shuttle). I am debating whether we should all return rental car & hop on the shuttle together this time.

LAX
It's often easier, and quicker, for one person (without bags) to catch the shuttle from rental car location back to the ship, than for a whole party (with bags) to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter