Time To Leave? Anyone Else Have this Happen?

kcbonnies

Earning My Ears
So we are just back from a 4 night on the Dream. We had a great time, but what happened on the last morning is bothering me, and I am wondering if it should. Here is the story:
We had late seating as well as a late flight. Our plan was to be out of our rooms at 7:45 and to meet our group to head to breakfast at 8:00. We had three rooms all in a row, plus there were an additional 2 rooms elsewhere on the ship. My room was 10500, my wife was in in 10502 and friends in 10504. At 7:15 there was a knock on my door. There was a guestroom attendant (not the great guy who had assisted us throughout the cruise) there to remind us that we needed to be out by 8:00. I said, sure, thanks, that is our plan. He then knocks on the other two rooms. No big deal. Ten minutes later he knocks again and again says that we need to be out by 8:00. I said we will. I go back into my room, which connects to 10504. I hear him knock on 10504, but continuing getting my daughters ready to leave. I hear my wife frustrated say loudly, "I know" and go through. She is in a towel and the stateroom attendant is in the room. He had let himself in to remind them again, she needed to be out by 8:00. Ten minutes after he had just done so. Then to top it off again, at 7:45, as I was leaving the room, he was knocking again! This seems to be unreasonable to me. And quite frankly, his constant interuptions slowed us down.
We were totally out at 7:50. I just do not understand if we are suppossed to be out by 8:00, and are reminded at 7:15, why he would a) keep bothering us and b) just walk into the room?
Anyone else experience something like this?

So we are just back from a 4 night on the Dream. We had a great time, but what happened on the last morning is bothering me, and I am wondering if it should. Here is the story:
We had late seating as well as a late flight. Our plan was to be out of our rooms at 7:45 and to meet our group to head to breakfast at 8:00. We had three rooms all in a row, plus there were an additional 2 rooms elsewhere on the ship. My room was 10500, my wife was in in 10502 and friends in 10504. At 7:15 there was a knock on my door. There was a guestroom attendant (not the great guy who had assisted us throughout the cruise) there to remind us that we needed to be out by 8:00. I said, sure, thanks, that is our plan. He then knocks on the other two rooms. No big deal. Ten minutes later he knocks again and again says that we need to be out by 8:00. I said we will. I go back into my room, which connects to 10504. I hear him knock on 10504, but continuing getting my daughters ready to leave. I hear my wife frustrated say loudly, "I know" and go through. She is in a towel and the stateroom attendant is in the room. He had let himself in to remind them again, she needed to be out by 8:00. Ten minutes after he had just done so. Then to top it off again, at 7:45, as I was leaving the room, he was knocking again! This seems to be unreasonable to me. And quite frankly, his constant interuptions slowed us down.
We were totally out at 7:50. I just do not understand if we are suppossed to be out by 8:00, and are reminded at 7:15, why he would a) keep bothering us and b) just walk into the room?
Anyone else experience something like this?

I would be bothered by that as well. I've never had an experience like that on debarkation day. I'd email DCL guest services and tell them of your experience.

That was too many reminders. I would write that on a comment card.

I would have even told him that he was slowing us down.

We had a housekeeper at OKW do that on our first Wdw Dvc stay. It was not ok. And we were running around like crazy anyway, because I had messed up on checkout time.

Then when we were finally out she wasn’t nowhere to be seen.

I agree with letting DCL know about the multi-notifications. That's really unacceptable. I can see doing something like that STARTING at 8:00. How do they know whether you've got things timed out to be out by 8:00 or not? Or if you've miscalculated how long it's going to take you in the morning? Especially a room host that's not yours.

The only thing I can think of is that, each time, he was actually checking to see if you had vacated the cabin yet. Since no one answered the second time in your wife's cabin, he would have rightly assumed it was empty. Cabin stewards are under tremendous pressure to turn over all cabins for the next set of cruisers as quickly as possible. Since they are popping in and out of cabins as they're cleaning, they can't know exactly when each cabin has been vacated. As for him being a different cabin steward, they are often reassigned new areas, and some have debarked because they've reached the end of their current contract in which a new steward takes over.

We've done 4 cruises so far on 3 different ships and have never had anyone knock on our door to tell us we had to be out by a certain time. We usually try to be out by 7:45. At 8am on our last cruise I was still frantically looking for a piece of jewelry in our cabin (finally found it under the bed). I heard our stateroom attendant in the hall and told him why I was still in the room. I felt bad that I was still in the room and apologized. He told me it was OK, to take my time, and even offered to help me look. Thankfully I found it about 5 mins later. Our attendant just skipped our room while I looked and went on the next. He was very understanding. The guy that kept coming back to knock on your door was down right rude, I can see knocking once and then that should be it . To walk into your wife's room was extremely wrong of him to do. I would definitely call or email Disney and let them know.

Something similar happened to me at a non-disney fine dining restaurant where we had to be out by a set time for the next seating, and the waiter kept reminding us. It is (1) insulting because it suggests they do not trust you to abide by the rules by leaving on time and (2) cheapens the experience by making it all about moving on to the next customer. I would be furious—you paid for that room until 8am and had every right to be there until 7:59.

I'm sorry to hear this! We've cruised 5 times so far and have never had this happen -- and we are almost always one of the last groups of people off the floor/out of the room. My kids are 4 y.o. and 2 y.o. (and have obviously been younger for all 5 cruises), so we have early dining and get stuck with early breakfast on disembarkation day, which we don't love. But, Cabanas on disembarkation morning with 2 little kids and carry-ons is difficult, so my DH goes up to get a tray of food and we eat in our room before leaving the ship. I always feel a little bad being one of the later groups to vacate the room, but we have never once felt any pressure from the staff. They just clean the rooms around us.

That is really odd. I don't recall anyone ever knocking on our door to remind us to leave on the last morning. I would have been slightly annoyed at the first knock, and really ticked at the second. So yes, I do think you have every right to have been bothered by this and should definitely contact Disney to let them know.

The whole scenario just seems so odd, that I was trying to come up with an explanation. I was wondering if you guys had to change your clocks back the night before. Is it possible the attendant had the wrong time and thought it was already 8:00 and you guys were supposed to be gone? The whole thing seems so strange, and very unlike Disney's normal service.

Sorry this happened to you (especially your poor wife!!)

That seems very odd, especially since it wasn't your regular attendant.

Maybe your attendant was unwell and this "new" attendant had to clean twice as many rooms which is why he was so eager to get started? Or perhaps he was new and didn't understand the required level of Disney customer service?

As others have said, I would provide feedback to Disney. It's pretty rude. As all bags are packed the night before, some guests (who get ready pretty quickly) may have elected to sleep-in until 7:30am only to have been awoken by him banging on their door.

Remove the tips for who? OP said the person doing this wasn't their room host, but someone they'd never seen before.
They are supposed to be a team. This is how you get the message across to the team that it is unacceptable. If this person causes others to lose their tip money, they will stop doing it quickly!

They are supposed to be a team. This is how you get the message across to the team that it is unacceptable. If this person causes others to lose their tip money, they will stop doing it quickly!
The tips go to specific people, not a team. Again, whose tips would you remove? The person knocking on the door is not receiving tips from OP. And, removing the tips from the (as they said) "great guy who assisted us throughout the cruise" would certainly not be nice.

Last edited:
That is so bizarre and I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm guessing your didn't get their name? I wonder what his title was but to enter a room after someone acknowledges that they are getting dressed is just beyond nuts, imo. This person needs to be better trained and I hope DCL follows through with you after the complaint has been made. That is so unacceptable.

While there is no excuse for them coming to your room more than once, did you have the Do Not Disturb sign on your door? We make sure it is on the door every morning until we are ready to start our day and that especially includes the last morning - because they are anxious to start stripping the rooms. And we make sure the deadbolt is engaged so they can't come in with just a swipe of their card.

Not the same as some random crew member coming to the door a couple times to disturb you, on two occasions we have gotten wake-up calls we never set. Both times we were doing back-to-back cruise so there was no reason for us to be up and rushing. Once it was an automated call, one time it was a live person calling "as we requested".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter