Tipping suggestion on receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally give 20% as a rule and often times a little more. I know I’m probably in the minority, but I was always under the impression that a tip was something one chose to give for service that went above and beyond.

I never not leave a tip at a restaurant but I do think it is my choice on how much to leave.

If one chooses to work in the service industry relying on tips to pay their bills, that is also their choice. But that doesn’t mean I have to leave a certain amount just because of that.

I do think paying minimum wage is just how it should be. $2.13 an hour is ridiculous and in those states I can certainly see where tips take on more importance.

But I also am tired of seeing a tip jar everywhere for what is basically someone doing the job they were hired to do. If you take a job as a cashier you agreed to a certain amount of pay. It’s not up to me to pay you more because you rang up my milk at the cash register. That is what you were hired to do.

If a tip jar is out, you do not have to feel like you should tip and most people don't. I work in a cafe that is counter service and they do put out tip jars in the coffee area because many people ASK for it. They actually want to tip the young people behind the counter.
My hubby and I are good tippers. We usually tip at least 20%(including the tax amount) and usually a bit more rounded up. We understand how hard of a job it is and we are friendly so we usually get really good service. I can only recall 1 time in the last 24 years that our service was so horribly bad that we left a very small amount. But that is not the norm. If we saw the 28% suggested tip, I think that we would be a bit shocked and offended at it. That is an extreme amount of percentage to tip. There is no way we would do that and probably not go back to that restaurant. I might even send them an e-mail stating why. We don't rely on the suggested tips amounts because we are more then capable of figuring out what 20% is in our head. And I would also like to add that when I go out solo to eat, I usually add a bit more to make up for the loss of second person that is usually at the table.

Servers in NJ get $2.13, with the 5th highest COL in the US. Dd23’s paycheck would be about $10 after taxes.

Minimum wage for hospitality staff is actually 16.09/hr in the SeaTac area of WA. I’m not exactly sure how it’s set but I believe It’s tied to the cost of living for urban areas.

Thank you for the list. I will willingly jump on the “tipping crazy train” if I ever visit there. Where a reasonable wage is provided, not so much. And if any of you visit us here in Alberta, be aware your waitstaff may already be earning more than you do.
If you click the link I am pretty sure it lists them.

Servers in NJ get $2.13, with the 5th highest COL in the US. Dd23’s paycheck would be about $10 after taxes.

This is the problem, not what people tip. What people tip argument moves people away from the minimum wage problem. Their base before tips should be way higher.

This thread had made me go look at a receipt from this weekend. DH and I went to eat at a chain restaurant. We were using a Buy 1 Get 1 Free coupon. The kitchen messed up the order and send out an item that was extremely over cooked. They fixed the mistake before we could even tell the server. On the receipt, we are charged for the replacement item and then that amount was taken off the total. However, because we were charged, the tip suggestions at the bottom of the receipt reflected the subtotal including the cost of the replacement item.
Also, the suggested tip was based on the total after taxes.

Entree 1: $20.90
Entree 2: $21.90
Replacement item: $9.50
Buy 1 Get 1: -$20.90
Replacement: -$9.50
Tax: $2.01

Amount tip suggestion based on: $54.31

I always understood gratuities were based on pre-tax amount and I do not think the suggested tip amount should have included the kitchen error.

I know the difference in gratuity is less than $2.50, but it was less than a pleasant dining experience, and we just wanted to get out of the restaurant.

I tip for service not on a percentage they tell me to by "suggesting" it. Good service you are going to get 20% from me. Not more. Eh service is 15%.

I refuse to tip at a drive thru like Panera suggests now or the ice cream joint in our little town. These folks get an hourly wage and if they need more money then they can get another job. You are not providing stellar service getting me that bagel or taking my order/taking my money that you deserve a tip.

I just don't get it anymore!

This thread had made me go look at a receipt from this weekend. DH and I went to eat at a chain restaurant. We were using a Buy 1 Get 1 Free coupon. The kitchen messed up the order and send out an item that was extremely over cooked. They fixed the mistake before we could even tell the server. On the receipt, we are charged for the replacement item and then that amount was taken off the total. However, because we were charged, the tip suggestions at the bottom of the receipt reflected the subtotal including the cost of the replacement item.
Also, the suggested tip was based on the total after taxes.

Entree 1: $20.90
Entree 2: $21.90
Replacement item: $9.50
Buy 1 Get 1: -$20.90
Replacement: -$9.50
Tax: $2.01

Amount tip suggestion based on: $54.31

I always understood gratuities were based on pre-tax amount and I do not think the suggested tip amount should have included the kitchen error.

I know the difference in gratuity is less than $2.50, but it was less than a pleasant dining experience, and we just wanted to get out of the restaurant.

What amount did you end up using to tip? I would have tipped on the 2 full priced entrees, or $43. No way am I tipping on their bookkeeping issues or the tax.

I refuse to tip at a drive thru like Panera suggests now or the ice cream joint in our little town. These folks get an hourly wage and if they need more money then they can get another job. You are not providing stellar service getting me that bagel or taking my order/taking my money that you deserve a tip.
Do you not tip because they make an hourly wage (meaning at least full minimum wage) or because you don't feel they are providing "service" above doing their job? What about states (like California) that servers are paid at least full minimum wage? Should tipping being different in those states?

What amount did you end up using to tip? I would have tipped on the 2 full priced entrees, or $43. No way am I tipping on their bookkeeping issues or the tax.

I tipped based on the pre-calculated amount on the receipt without realizing their calculations. I should have only tipped on the two entrees.

This was a chain restaurant, no appetizers ordered, no salads, just two entrees and we were there almost two hours with less than 5 minute wait to actually be seated when we arrived. We were ready to just get out of there.

I usually tip 15-20%. If the service is exceptional, I will tip more. However, I've also left zero for a tip.

My wife and I went to Olive Garden one time. We were seated and waited 20 minutes before our order was taken. We then waited over 45 more minutes before our food arrived. The restaurant was not THAT busy. Our waiter didn't once come to see if we wanted refills or anything. The only time we saw him after our food was delivered was when he brought our bill.

For the "tip" portion of the bill, I emphatically wrote "0" and we left. No sooner were we out the door than the waiter came out after us complaining about the tip. I told him exactly why we gave him no tip. He then proceeded to regale us with a variety of flimsy excuses, none of which explained his poor service. He was mad and stomped back into the restaurant. I too was mad and stomped back into the restaurant and asked to see the manager.

When I told the manager what happened during dinner and that the waiter chased after us, he was stunned. He said, "Don't worry. I will definitely take care of this right now." As we left, the manager was walking very quickly to find this waiter.

I tip on service. If the service is slow because the restaurant is busy, I'll still leave a nice tip if I see that our server is truly trying and working hard. That's all I ask. Even with slow service, I've tipped well, simply because of the effort I see in our server.

I usually tip 15-20%. If the service is exceptional, I will tip more. However, I've also left zero for a tip.

My wife and I went to Olive Garden one time. We were seated and waited 20 minutes before our order was taken. We then waited over 45 more minutes before our food arrived. The restaurant was not THAT busy. Our waiter didn't once come to see if we wanted refills or anything. The only time we saw him after our food was delivered was when he brought our bill.

That's better than the service we received at a Chili's or Applebee's or similar in Orlando several years back. The waitress arrived promptly and asked if we wanted drinks. When we ordered soft drinks DH said she rolled her eyes. It took a while for her to deliver the drinks, and we ordered a shared appetizer and entrees. And that's the last time she came to the table.

Food runners brought both the app and entrees. The waitress never stopped by the table to see if everything was OK or to see if we wanted refills. (We did.) We saw her stop by at other tables. After finishing eating she never even bothered to bring the check. DH had to go to the hostess stand to request the bill. The hostess brought it. Maybe we could have walked out and nobody would have even noticed.

The total was something like $49.82 so we just put $50 in the holder and left. If she had to tip out for the food runners, too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter