Tips for going bagless?

princessesintraining

Mouseketeer
We are a group of 4 ranging from tweens to senior. Thinking about going bagless, but I was wondering if the clear phone pouches or a Vera Bradley tech casein an a lanyard would cause to go through bag check. Unfornately pockets on girls/women’s shorts aren’t very very deep. We really just want to be able to carry our phone and some cash. Any suggestions?

We bring one bag. It has our umbrellas, rain coats, fleeces, sunscreen, dry sacks, and a portable charger for our phones. It’s an Osprey daypack. And we keep two water bottles in.

We only need one, and we take turns wearing it. If I was staying on property and could swap out these things throughout the day, I could go without.

What are you planning to bring with you other than the items mentioned?

You can probably get some hiking clothes at REI with better pockets.

Going bagless is tough. I’d have to run into the shops to buy a sweater or rain gear if the weather turned later in the day. And I’ve done that a couple of times. I have a lot of Mickey Mouse blankets purchased over the years for late night fireworks.

We are a group of 4 ranging from tweens to senior. Thinking about going bagless, but I was wondering if the clear phone pouches or a Vera Bradley tech casein an a lanyard would cause to go through bag check. Unfornately pockets on girls/women’s shorts aren’t very very deep. We really just want to be able to carry our phone and some cash. Any suggestions?
I think the Vera Bradley tech case qualifies as a "bag". Perhaps you can put it in your pocket until you get through security and to the tap styles and they pull the tech case out?

When I go bagless I carry my ID, cash and credit cards in a tiny coin purse by Blue Q (https://www.blueq.com/shop/item/330-productId.125847020.html) and my phone in my back pocket if I don't have a jacket.

We are staying onsite and this is my kids 5th Disney trip. No autograph books needed. We are fine with getting free ice water at quick service and typiclly take a mid day break. Other than sunglasseses/hats we really just need our phones.

I have a thin drawstring bag with NO metal on it that I keep in my pocket. I shove everything I'll need for the day in my pockets, the metal stuff on one side the regular stuff on the other. I look a little silly, but once I go through security I pull out the bag and put everything in.

I just keep what I need in my pockets. I usually take a phone, fuelrod, cash, id , and credit card. A cell phone wallet works great for this.

I feel you on the pocket issue; it's why I'm probably always going to keep carrying a small bag at WDW. My strategy to go bagless for my one day in Universal on an upcoming trip is to wear men's cargo shorts and load everything I'd normally put in the little crossbody into the pockets, but that takes a willingness to crossdress (and they do clearly look like men's pants!). If there are any men or boys in your group you could have them wear something pockety and put your phone cases, etc. in their pockets until you're all through security.

Believe it, or not, I've found capris that have room. I have a pretty thick Vera Bradley wallet I keep in one pocket and my cell and keys in the other and I do it every day. However, it might be, because I go shipping at Torrid, which is aimed for plus size women, but all sizes can technically shop there. Maybe they think we need bigger pockets? They're not massive ones like men's, but it's bigger than some of the women's pockets I've seen on shorts and pants and then others there's not so much.

I have a thin drawstring bag with NO metal on it that I keep in my pocket. I shove everything I'll need for the day in my pockets, the metal stuff on one side the regular stuff on the other. I look a little silly, but once I go through security I pull out the bag and put everything in.

This is what we started doing after waiting in the ridiculously long Epcot security lines.

I have searched for years for women's shorts with zipper pockets large enough to hold a cell phone. I finally found them! Calia by Carrie Underwood Women's Anywhere 5" Cuff Shorts at Dick's Sporting Goods. They are technically athletic shorts, but they are not so exercisey-looking that you can't wear them other places. It looks like they have them in 6 colors right now and 5 colors in plus size. To me, the zipper is the key because then I am confident that everything in my pockets is secure and won't fall out. I can put my cell phone, a lip balm, and a small bottle of suncreen in the pockets. I also wear a lanyard and put my driver's license, credit card, and cash in the pouch.

I’m lucky. DH wears cargo shorts. I take a very small purse that he can shove in one pocket of his shorts temporarily until we get through security. I carry a super small sak purse that folds easily with just a small travel OPI lotion, lip balm, and my phone. All set!

I'm considering sewing some cargo pockets onto my capris. It probably will look funny, but who cares.

I’m allllll about the “purse pants”.

I have some made by Under Armour and The North Face. They’re out there for women, mainly in sporting goods stores.

View attachment 394433

I've found it easier to buy men's plus-size shorts than to try to find women's plus sizes with pockets, but I'm glad some places are selling real cargo shorts for women (I got fed up with the "cargo capris" I'd found at JC Penney, which have tiny side pockets that won't even fit my phone). I honestly don't think the men's shorts look bad on many women; it's definitely a Look since they're cut to fit straight rather than to fit closer to the leg, but I've found them very comfortable and it's amazing what kind of options are available. I've got a pair of "tactical" shorts made by Molecule that I bought on Amazon, and I could literally fit a textbook in the outside pockets (it'd stick out the top, but still!!). Having zip-up pockets is great, too.

So we are going to try and go bagless using the Vera Bradley tech case. It’s a little bigger than and iPhone 8 in size. It’s flexible, so we think we should be able to roll it up with a ponytail holder and it fits in a pocket. When we go through the metal detector, we will pull it out with our phones. It will hold our phone, sunglasses, some cash, ID, and throw away poncho. We bought lanyards to attach to the bag, so we can wear it around our necks.
Fr those looking for shorts, Eddie Bauer had ladies shorts with one zippered pocket. I considered these, but the Vera bag was the cheaper option.
Thoughts?

so the men/boys in our group can go bagless...all they need is some cargo shorts with pockets big enough to fit their phones and a disposable poncho. The women/girls can be a little more difficult. finding women's cargo shorts with deep enough pockets for our phones is easier said than done. i do have a Minnie Mouse Phone Cross Over that i wear if my pockets are too shallow. if needed....my husband can fit my phone purse in his pockets so we can skip the bag check and walk into the parks.

I usually carry a super small baggalinni that just fits my phone, ID, a few $$ and lip balm. DH goes to the bagless line and sometimes I'm actually thru before him. He has to empty his pockets, go thru the metal detector, and then re-pack his pockets.

I’ll have to try this when my son is not so young but at 18 months I’d be carrying in diapers, wipes, etc. separately and I’m sure they’d tell me to get my stroller and stuff that is clearly going to find a home in a bag into the bag line. :)

Two words....sparkle skirts....google it. They are running shorts/skirts with two pockets on each leg and a pouch pocket.
Started wearing them just for running, but they are awesome all the time.
Couple weeks ago Went to Hollywood studios, put my cash and credit cards in a wrist wallet, iPhone in one leg pocket and sunscreen and chapstick and other things in other leg pocket, a few Disney pins in the front pouch...still had room.
They are all I will wear in the parks now, love being bagless!
They are made in Florida...not cheap, but definitely well made and so worth it. :thumbsup2

I always go bagless at WDW and DL. It’s definitely easier to go bagless when I go with my husband; he just puts my stuff in his pockets.

When I go without him though, I just plan outfits strategically: no dresses, just shorts or jeans with pockets, though the pockets are quite shallow. I do pack relatively light: chapstick, credit card, ID, phone. For my trip in June, I’m going to have a Tables in Wonderland card and an annual pass card, so I’m going to buy a phone wallet case and store everything except the chapstick in that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter