Tips for Knott's Berry Farm?

PinkBudgie

DIS Veteran
We are adding on a day to our July DLR trip to run over to KBF. DH has been wanting to do this for years. Both of us used to go as children, but honestly I never forgave them for taking out the Berry Ride. :rotfl2: Anyway, since we added a day to our DLR trip, I'm willing to add another for this park. We haven't been in years. I think it was late 80's last time I went.

We both like rollercoasters and shows. Is there something we should see or do first thing in the morning? Any must do's? We are going on a Saturday and driving over from CCI. The park opens at 10am. Any tips on what time to arrive at the parking lot? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I did a short trip report after our visit last July. You can read it here. It was mostly focused on the rides and taking our older kids.

We arrived at the parking lot about 9:30 -- no tram -- and walked right up to the turnstiles (printed tickets at home from Ares). We were in the first wave to the rides. I would say go to Ghost Rider or Silver Bullet first.

On several rides, there is a separate line if you want the front row. If you don't care, the other lines can be half the length (Xcelerator is a good example). They have cubbies right next to the bigger rides and insist you use them, so don't be afraid to take a bigger bag or some water in with you. Food was pricey -- more than Disney at times -- and just so-so unless you go out to the Marketplace to eat.

PHXscuba

Oh, thank you! You even answered what I wondering about some of those coasters. I was looking at the pictures and could not see anywhere to put a backpack like we always bring to DLR. Also good to know about the front row.

I was thinking we must try the chicken dinner if we go and see what all the fuss is about.

the Xcelerator would be the first thing you should get in line for because it breaks down....a lot....so don't leave it for the last thing and risk it being down or something. Boomerang is pretty fun, same with the boat ride I can't remember, (big boat goes straight down causes a big wave you get the idea )

the usually have an ice skating show with snoopy which is fun for the little ones.
Montazumas revenge is fun but I don't recommend the Jaguar, it is a baby coaster with a very long track and I am 5'6" and the leg room is SMALL I swear I needed help getting out it was embarassing.
The chicken restaurant and ice cream parlor right outside the park are wonderful places to eat.

the Xcelerator would be the first thing you should get in line for because it breaks down....a lot....so don't leave it for the last thing and risk it being down or something. Boomerang is pretty fun, same with the boat ride I can't remember, (big boat goes straight down causes a big wave you get the idea )

the usually have an ice skating show with snoopy which is fun for the little ones.
Montazumas revenge is fun but I don't recommend the Jaguar, it is a baby coaster with a very long track and I am 5'6" and the leg room is SMALL I swear I needed help getting out it was embarassing.
The chicken restaurant and ice cream parlor right outside the park are wonderful places to eat.

Ghost Rider and Boomerang were the rides having issues the day we were there last summer. The "tidal wave" boat ride is gone, to be replaced by three mid-sized rides this summer.

PHXscuba

I read something about the Windseeker breaking down for hours with guests on it a while back, and now I don't see it in the list of rides.

Do the cubbies for your belongings while on the coaster have locks? I've given DH all this information and he's having second thoughts. Well, we have a while to decide for sure.

My tip would be don't go IMHO. Our last trip to Knotts was exactly that, our last trip. What a mess this place was. It is not what it use to be since the new owners took over. Its run down, dirty, and the day we were there there were kids running around with no supervision at all, line cutting, cussing, and being totally rude. No security to attempt to calm them all down except at the gates. Gangs were also inside with all their colors on and after about 3 hours we looked at each other with that knowing look and got the heck out of there. As we are walking back to our car what do we see...about 10 cops on horses, with about 20 cop cars right outside the maingate with a bunch of gang members cuffed and sitting there waiting for the paddy wagon. A gang fight had broke out and the police had to be called to get them under control. This did happen outside the maingate, but it was on Knotts property.

We wont be back!!!!!

The ride cubbies don't have locks. They are across the tracks near the exit (so you step through the cars, put your stuff down, and then get back onto the ride). Each ride's setup was slightly different. I felt pretty secure but maybe keep a wallet on you. They will NOT let you keep a bag, camera, sunglasses, etc. with you on the ride -- DH tried a couple times.

As for the gangs, we didn't experience anything like that. I've been more annoyed by teens at the movie theater! We went on a Friday and I noticed as night fell that the crowd got a lot younger as locals flooded the park -- cheap annual passes make it a big hangout.

I went there being used to Disney-level parks and would say while Knott's is not Disney-level service/cleanliness, it was pretty good for the outside world. There weren't as many CMs, but the ones we talked with were pleasant. The bathrooms I used were clean.

I think the deciding factor would be whether you have a "rollercoaster park" nearby that scratches the itch, or if you are going for nostalgia. I thought the log ride (which is getting spruced up) and Montezooma's Revenge were as cool as I remembered, but most everything else was different than my 80's teen years that I spent there.

PHXscuba

PHX and Captain- Thank you both your insights and sharing your experiences. Captain, it sounds like you went on a particularly bad day, and I know we would have left too. I think for DH wanting to go it was more nostalgia. We also used to go to Great America as kids too but haven't been in years. In my 20's I finally realized what I liked best was theme and even the funnest rollercoaster isn't as fun when it isn't surrounded by a theme. California Screamin is a sad example of that.

PHX and Captain- Thank you both your insights and sharing your experiences. Captain, it sounds like you went on a particularly bad day, and I know we would have left too. I think for DH wanting to go it was more nostalgia. We also used to go to Great America as kids too but haven't been in years. In my 20's I finally realized what I liked best was theme and even the funnest rollercoaster isn't as fun when it isn't surrounded by a theme. California Screamin is a sad example of that.

Marriotts Great America. I remember that park. Are you talking about the one in Santa Clara? If its the same one I remember a ride called The Tidal Wave. It was one of the first looping coasters in america that you went through the loop forwards and backwards. I use to go there alot when I lived in that area. Great memories!!!!!

Marriotts Great America. I remember that park. Are you talking about the one in Santa Clara? If its the same one I remember a ride called The Tidal Wave. It was one of the first looping coasters in america that you went through the loop forwards and backwards. I use to go there alot when I lived in that area. Great memories!!!!!

Yep, that's the one! I loved the Tidal Wave! And the log ride and I think they had a similar boat ride. I only went on The Edge once. Not my thing!

And I went to Frontier Village in San Jose several times with my cousin when her older sister worked there. She gave us a ton of cheap prize trinkets. :)

We love Knott's! Since you are going in the summer, definitely be parking and walking up at least 30 minutes prior to opening. Those first few hours will be key to getting on the big coasters without a long wait! Either go straight ahead to Silver Bullet, or left to Ghost Rider. After those you can circle through to all the other big rides. By noon it will be getting really crowded.

The past few years they've done a summer snoopy on ice show, its really well done. The Wild West show is also pretty entertaining.

Definitely eat at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant!!! Try to go at an off time. Either an early lunch (11:45), or 3-4pm ish. Nothing beats the original fried chicken meal with boysenberry punch to drink. :thumbsup2

We love Knott's! Since you are going in the summer, definitely be parking and walking up at least 30 minutes prior to opening. Those first few hours will be key to getting on the big coasters without a long wait! Either go straight ahead to Silver Bullet, or left to Ghost Rider. After those you can circle through to all the other big rides. By noon it will be getting really crowded.

The past few years they've done a summer snoopy on ice show, its really well done. The Wild West show is also pretty entertaining.

Definitely eat at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant!!! Try to go at an off time. Either an early lunch (11:45), or 3-4pm ish. Nothing beats the original fried chicken meal with boysenberry punch to drink. :thumbsup2

Thank you. Those are all good suggestions I'm going to make a note of. DH loves Snoopy/Peanuts so I know we will see the ice show.

Yes!!!!! I 100% agree. Don't miss Mrs Knott's Chicken Dinner. Absolutely the best chicken!!!!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Yes!!!!! I 100% agree. Don't miss Mrs Knott's Chicken Dinner. Absolutely the best chicken!!!!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Glad people agree!!! Wanted to reiterate the importance of going at an off time. If you go during peak meal times you will absolutely be put off by the line, and you MUST NOT miss out on the awesomeness of this meal experience!

Glad people agree!!! Wanted to reiterate the importance of going at an off time. If you go during peak meal times you will absolutely be put off by the line, and you MUST NOT miss out on the awesomeness of this meal experience!
Can someone please tell me where Mrs Knott's restaurant is? We are coming from Australia and by the sounds of it this cannot be missed LOL

Can someone please tell me where Mrs Knott's restaurant is? We are coming from Australia and by the sounds of it this cannot be missed LOL

Well, it is at Knott's Berry Farm. But is just outside the park. So you can go there to eat and not pay to get in the park. It seems to be not too far from DLR, but in actual driving time, I'm not sure because I'm not familar with traffic between those two places.

Another option for Mrs. Knott's chicken is getting it at the take out window & eating it at the picnic tables around the building or taking it back to your hotel to avoid long waits in line for the sit-down restaurant.

Well, it is at Knott's Berry Farm. But is just outside the park. So you can go there to eat and not pay to get in the park. It seems to be not too far from DLR, but in actual driving time, I'm not sure because I'm not familar with traffic between those two places.

It is about a 15 to 20 minute drive from Disneyland to Knotts Berry Farm, they are only about 8 miles apart from each other. From Knotts you would just go West on Beach Blvd (toward the beach), the turn left on Katella and go down the street until Disneyland is on your left.

How long?

2gwfgx1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter