Tips for Knott's Berry Farm?

It is about a 15 to 20 minute drive from Disneyland to Knotts Berry Farm, they are only about 8 miles apart from each other. From Knotts you would just go West on Beach Blvd (toward the beach), the turn left on Katella and go down the street until Disneyland is on your left.

So, from DLR you wouldn't take the freeway 5 to 91 like it says in the google directions, but take street roads? Looking at the map it seemed silly to get on two freeways, but then it seems people in Socal always take 2 or 3 freeways to go anywhere. :confused3 Up here in Norcal, I avoid the freeway because it always takes longer than surface streets.

How long?

2gwfgx1.jpg

Um, yikes! I see now why going during an off hour would be important.

So, from DLR you wouldn't take the freeway 5 to 91 like it says in the google directions, but take street roads? Looking at the map it seemed silly to get on two freeways, but then it seems people in Socal always take 2 or 3 freeways to go anywhere. :confused3 Up here in Norcal, I avoid the freeway because it always takes longer than surface streets.

I'd just take Katella west to Beach (4 miles) and go north (3 miles). The freeway is overkill.

I used to brag about taking 4/6 freeways to work in LA. :rolleyes:

PHXscuba

I'd just take Katella west to Beach (4 miles) and go north (3 miles). The freeway is overkill.

I used to brag about taking 4/6 freeways to work in LA. :rolleyes:

PHXscuba

Ok, that sounds better.

All those freeways down there make me stressed out. Miss an exit from one freeway to another and suddenly your travel time just a whole lot longer. :scared:

Ok, that sounds better.

All those freeways down there make me stressed out. Miss an exit from one freeway to another and suddenly your travel time just a whole lot longer. :scared:

Yes, From Disneyland area take Katella Ave to Beach Blvd and turn to the right on Beach Blvd. Don't take the freeway like google suggests. It will get you to the same place with a lot less stress. Its a quick and easy drive on the side streets.

PHX and Captain- Thank you both your insights and sharing your experiences.

I get no love for helping? oh well, j/k lol

It's been a couple of years since I've been so I didn't realize Tidal Wave was out, three people have died on that ride so honestly I'k not surprised.
CAPTAIN I am wondering what year it was that you were there because i can confirm Captain's experience as I had one similar to it on my honeymoon. My hubby and I went to all the SOuthern CA amusement partks for our honeymoon but that was back in 2001
Knotts was run down, dirty, half the rides were closed (and this was late may) we didn't have any experience or problems with gang members (that as in Six Flags Magic Mpountain that a shooting happened the day we were there), but the employees at Knotts looked like gang members and I didn't want to go anywhere near them, the carnival games they wouldn't barker like try to get you to play or anything they'd just sit there, or some games were even unattended.

BUT, like I said that was in 2001 and both parks changed ownerships and management and cleaned up nicely in fact as a choir director when we go looking for where we are going for our day trip to an amusement park I've taken them to Kniott's and I've taken them to Magic Mountain, and I wouldn't do that if I felt the place was run down or had gang problems

It's been a couple of years since I've been so I didn't realize Tidal Wave was out, three people have died on that ride so honestly I'k not surprised.
CAPTAIN I am wondering what year it was that you were there because i can confirm Captain's experience as I had one similar to it on my honeymoon. My hubby and I went to all the SOuthern CA amusement partks for our honeymoon but that was back in 2001
Knotts was run down, dirty, half the rides were closed (and this was late may) we didn't have any experience or problems with gang members (that as in Six Flags Magic Mpountain that a shooting happened the day we were there), but the employees at Knotts looked like gang members and I didn't want to go anywhere near them, the carnival games they wouldn't barker like try to get you to play or anything they'd just sit there, or some games were even unattended.

BUT, like I said that was in 2001 and both parks changed ownerships and management and cleaned up nicely in fact as a choir director when we go looking for where we are going for our day trip to an amusement park I've taken them to Kniott's and I've taken them to Magic Mountain, and I wouldn't do that if I felt the place was run down or had gang problems

Im thinking it was October 2004 that we were there, I know it was after the new owners took charge. We even had some of the employees tell us it had changed since the old days, and not for the better. For us I guess it wasn't really the park (they had good rides) but the lack of crowd control or even concern for everyones safety while visiting. They just didn't care anymore. I know I was really hurt to see Knotts in that shape because I remember running around there as a kid. They have even removed the old berry stand that started it all.

Sorry, didn't mean to leave you out. Thanks to you too! :lovestruc :rotfl:

Yeah, it's odd how I keep hearing conflicting reports of Knott's. I'm certainly not expecting Disney magic, but for one day we can see how it goes. Hopefully, you are right and new management cleaned it up.

Wow...so sad to hear about the gang/safety issues at Knott's--is it still like this?
Has anyone gone recently (or know someone who has) that can give any insight as to what it's like nowadays?)
Such a shame for it to not feel like a safe place for a family to take their children... :-(

TIA!

We have AP to Knott's and personally haven't had a problem there. Yes, teenagers can be a problem but if you've read any of the threads about Grad Nites at DLR they can be a problem there too.

I love KBF for what it is. No it's not Disney but it's a special place. Yes, the rides can be slow load.

Couple of annoying things about KBF. Parking is $15 and is good for one entry. No in and out. :confused3 Sodas are very expensive there-about $1 more than Disney. However, unlike Disney they offer refillable mugs and refills are free the day you buy. You could bring in empty cups to share drinks if you want-like a Disney mug ;)

We get Knott's chicken almost every time we go but we get it from the To-Go shop located right next to Mrs. Knott's. Same food. Less $$ A tip I got years ago from an employee was to ask for the chicken hot from the kitchen. I do this everytime. Then you can eat it at a table by Pinks or cross under Beach Blvd and there are picnic tables located there. You'll even get visited by some of the chickens still on property.

I have ridden the refurbished Log Ride. To me the characters are a little scary looking-they have a lot of white to their eyes but it still resembles the original ride.

And rides that are still there, basically unchanged are-Calico Mine Train, Happy Sombreros, Stagecoach, Train, Skycabin, Montezoomas

The Wheeler Dealer bumper cars are still there and you can actually bump the other cars. :laughing:

Not as old but there for a long time is Ghost Rider, Boomerang (I actually find this ride too painful), Bigfoot Rapids,

And the newer rides-Xcelerator (best ride ever!), Silver Bullet, Jaguar, La Revolucion, Supreme Scream, Pony Express, Sierra Sidewinder, and Coast Rider are good.

Windseeker is good but still closed.

And there's still the Ghost Town area with all the original buildings-Calico Saloon, Jail-yes you can still "talk" to the prisoner, Graveyard with the grave with the heartbeat. They still over the Wild West Show and Indian Dancing.

The Scrambler that was taken out years ago is now back as the Pacific Scrambler in the new Boardwalk area.

And for the little ones Camp Snoopy is great! Took my 4.5 y/o DNephew there last week for the first time and he loved it! We got there at opening and rode almost all the rides in CS in the first couple hours. Had lunch, then headed over to Soak City. :cloud9:

They are currently refurbishing the mission models that have been gone for awhile. You can see the one they are working on in Ghost Town, by the BBQ place.

I have taken my DD there since she was 3 or 4 (she's now 13) and as mentioned I took my 4.5 y/o nephew recently. Even given the fact that the last 2 times we have been there (late May, early June) there have been tons of school kids there (field trips) I have never felt unsafe.

I would plan on getting there by 9:30 to park. That'll get you to the gates before opening. I would buy my tix online. The tix lines can get long in the summer. Be aware the APH can enter the park at 9:30 in the summer. So if you see guests going in the park that's way.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Right now tix to KBF are $37.99 online, 3 day advance purchase required for adults.Jr. and Sr. (over 61) are $29.99 The AP at KBF is $88 which is why you do get a lot of teenagers there. That's good until 12/31. vs. Disney where the cheapest AP is now $279 with 189 blockout days (inc. all summer).

DisneyDaz--wow! Thanks for all of the great info! Love the info about chicken hot from the kitchen too! :-)
Thanks so much for the great post...we are driving in to the park from Newhall, CA...hoping the traffic isn't too outrageous on a Monday morning....so we'll plan to leave in time to get there to park by 9:30 AM.

Good stuff! Thanks so much everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter