Tips for not getting sick on Guardians!

disneychick0412

DIS Veteran
I've ridden Guardians once. Spent most of the time trying to tell myself that I'm not going to get sick.
Quite nauseous. I thought about getting Bonine from the drug store to take with me. Anyone tried this and did it help?
Any thing else I can do? I couldn't enjoy the ride from the sick feeling, where my DH got off super pumped saying how much he loved it! I want to love it too!! LOL

I've ridden Guardians once. Spent most of the time trying to tell myself that I'm not going to get sick.
Quite nauseous. I thought about getting Bonine from the drug store to take with me. Anyone tried this and did it help?
Any thing else I can do? I couldn't enjoy the ride from the sick feeling, where my DH got off super pumped saying how much he loved it! I want to love it too!! LOL

It probably depends on what is making you sick, honestly, I didn't even pay attention to the screens on the side until the 3rd or 4th ride in a week (we literally bought ILLs practically every day, my husband loved it so much). I was spacey the first time, but by the 3rd time I wasn't even phased by the movement.

I am VERY sensitive to anything that spins, but I really wanted to try Guardians in February so I renewed my prescription for the scopalamine patch, and as usual it worked and I was fine on the ride.

Might sound stupid, but for me it was about just being sure I had something reasonable to eat 30-45 minutes before I rode. First time I rode, it was on a pretty empty stomach and I felt woozy. I've done it 4 times since with some food, and I've had zero issues. But I suppose we all have bodies that handle these things differently.

I sit in the second row of car, I just ask to be seated in an even row. It helps me to look at the person‘s head in front of me. It tricks my brain and feels like a regular rollercoaster by not focusing on the screens.

That's what I'd suggest too, for certain types of motion sickness, keep your head "facing" the tracks in front of you, don't try to look at the screens. By that I mean actually watch ahead of the lead vehicle and try to spot the track and just follow that.

Keep your head looking forward. Don’t turn your neck other than your nose an inch one way or the other.

I think when the ride opened people were very curious about seeing every detail and maybe finding something others hadn’t noticed yet. That first wave of riders had more neck swiveling and likely higher amount of queasy as a result.

Just my suspicion going by feedback over the past year. Eta - I have low grade motion sickness (mostly as a car passenger) and had no issue after 5 GotG rides. 2 of those were back to back in under 15 minutes.

I understand what some of you are saying about looking forward to avoid queasiness. But having ridden it several times now, I have no idea how you can actually enjoy the ride if all you do is look forward!! It's a ride designed to move you around and point you at things to look at!

I understand what some of you are saying about looking forward to avoid queasiness. But having ridden it several times now, I have no idea how you can actually enjoy the ride if all you do is look forward!! It's a ride designed to move you around and point you at things to look at!
How I ride depends a lot on how I feel. So, I've ridden it looking around and been fine, but if I already have a bit of queasy, I look ahead. When I do that, I enjoy it as a regular coaster with fantastic music. lolol

Look forward at the track or where your car is facing. Do not look at the screens and don't turn your head around trying to get a glimpse of the screens.
This helped me. First time, I was turning my head to watch screens, and ended up a little queasy. Keeping my head straight, and watching what the car was turning me to watch helped out a lot - didn't get affected at all on any of our other rides.

Hydration plays a big part of motion sickness. Most everybody visiting florida is at least partially dehydrated. You need to be drinking water as much as you can in the days leading up to the ride. If your urine isn't clear before you ride, you aren't hydrated enough and it will intensify motion sickness symptoms. Make sure you have eaten regularly. A lot of folks forget to take care of themselves while on vacation, your diet gets wacky, alcohol consumption often increases, sleep patterns get out of wack, and you walk 10+ miles a day in heat you often aren't use to. None of those things help someone with motion sickness.
As others mention, concentrate on following the tracks. The earlier you can get on the better. Relax a bit in air conditioned shade before getting in line(thankfully the line has good A/C). Use the benches on the way out, and regroup before heading out even if it doesn't feel awful.

I haven't ridden Cosmic Rewind yet but I'm very prone to motion sickness and swear by Bonine in the parks. I take one with breakfast before leaving in the am, have yet to ride anything it doesn't work on and it doesn't leave me sleepy the way even the "non-drowsy" Dramamine does. I just find it's a bit harder to come by than Dramamine unfortunately.

I haven't ridden Cosmic Rewind yet but I'm very prone to motion sickness and swear by Bonine in the parks. I take one with breakfast before leaving in the am, have yet to ride anything it doesn't work on and it doesn't leave me sleepy the way even the "non-drowsy" Dramamine does. I just find it's a bit harder to come by than Dramamine unfortunately.
Thanks for the tip. I’ve never had to take anything previously but the older I get the more sensitive I am to certain rides. Otherwise I generally don’t have an issue with motion sickness. I thought about trying Dramamine but will check out Bonine too.

I wasn't nauseous, I was disoriented. It's like my brain can't handle not going forwards or backwards - the sideways/spinning gets to me. I'm going to try Bonine next time. I hope it helps.

I'm going to also try it on Expedition Everest. The backward part on EE bothers my stomach too. Those are the only two that bother me. Cosmic Rewind was much worse.

Yes! I rode the first time last summer without having taking Bonine (which is the same ingredient as non-drowsy Dramamine) and I was horribly nauseous for at least an hour. It was awful. I was scared to go back on but my family really wanted to go all together on our trip last week so I took the maximum dose (2 in a 24 hour period), an hour and a half before riding as recommended and it made a HUGE difference. I was totally fine! I almost cried tears of joy, I was so relieved. I could even feel the spinning sections where I got sick the last time and I made it through with my eyes open (I do not advise closing them, it makes it so much worse).

Some other tips - if you tell the cast member at seat assignment that you would like the “least queasy row” they will pull you aside and try to get you in rows 5 or 6 for the next ride. Supposedly those are the best for people prone to motion sickness. As mentioned above lots of (cold) water and something substantial to eat before helps me a lot too. And I read on a thread about Mission Space that an astronaut recommended eating a banana a few hours before you ride. Looking at something stationary, like the seat in front of you, helps too if you start to feel queasy. I did all of those things and the Bonine and it was a big difference. And FYI the cast member told me that they have Dramamine at first aid if you forget to bring it. I looked in the resort gifts shops for some the first time I rode but they didn’t have any. I wish I had known that about having some in First Aid then!

I take Bonine before I go to bed the night before our Epcot day - it's supposed to be non-drowsy but stil makes me feel fatigued so taking it the night before helps with that.
Do NOT look at the spinning moon - just don't. Eyes closed shut!
I try to avoid looking at the screens but it's difficult. If you are feeling queasy, closing your eyes for a bit helps but then you kinda miss the ride!
Riding earlier in the day if possible works better for me - before it gets super hot and you get really exhausted from walking around Epcot all day (but I know this is tough w/ the boarding groups and ILL)

Bonine is 25mg meclizine; I order mine on Amazon. It's far cheaper than buying from Walmart or the pharmacy. I just wish it worked for me. I DOES work, for cars and airplanes. Boats? Ummm... it's OK. Disney roller coasters? Nope. But that's just me. I took 2 meclizine AND wore a scope patch and still almost died on FoP... but I can get motion sick in the bathtub or a swimming pool, so I'm not really surprised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter