To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking the chance for my DH and I is one thing but taking children who have not been given the vaccine is another thing. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't take them right now but that is a decision you would have to make. We are in our 60's and have been fully vaccinated but my adult children don't want us to go and take chances. I have always worn my mask, sanitized, washed my hands and distanced as much as I can so I see no reason to differently

Very smart! I didn't know Germany requires N95's but that is the smartest thing I've heard yet! I'm a little nervous as our rules for flying with masks on may change in September and I don't want to sit next to some one who isn't wearing one for a long trip...am I being silly? my DH and I are also wearing N95's and if they don't like it tough! we are also going to try and eat meals at the parks but at off times. Have a SAFE trip but mostly a FUN trip!
Well an N95 is not very good at filtering out anything, just filtering in. So it really wouldn't make much difference to you specifically what the person next to you is wearing. A properly fitted N95 (actually being fit tested is important, as having that full seal is what makes it most effective), will protect you really even if the person next to you isn't wearing anything. But if you haven't actually been fit tested and are just wearing one that may or may not fit correctly, it could make some difference.

It's why us healthcare providers have to be fit tested for N95s every year. When we go into airborne precaution or Covid rooms, the patient isn't likely wearing anything, yet we are fully protected. And if we don't pass the fit test, we have to use a PAPR system.

I also feel like people who don't educate themselves properly may feel safe when they actually may not be. Yes an N95 is very protective, but it has to fit right to have that optimal protection. And usually, even ones that don't fit right still feel very tight. A KN95 can sometimes provide similar protection as a not properly fitted N95, and they are a whole lot more comfortable.

Last edited:
It’s definitely cutting into the tourist industry. I’m seeing posts of lay offs and shift cuts from family and friends in the industry.
I was also just thinking of the poor Disney staff that are working in tableservice restaurants. I keep reading about people saying they’re not gonna dine indoors now including us and cancelling. I wonder if the cancellations are significant enough to impact shift schedules/ tips. I told Disney myself last night to modify my hotel reservation and I tried to ask the guy if he’s had a lot of cancellations and he avoided the question. Which was stupid of me to ask in the first place because you know they’re not gonna say anything.

Taking the chance for my DH and I is one thing but taking children who have not been given the vaccine is another thing. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't take them right now but that is a decision you would have to make. We are in our 60's and have been fully vaccinated but my adult children don't want us to go and take chances. I have always worn my mask, sanitized, washed my hands and distanced as much as I can so I see no reason to differently

Very smart! I didn't know Germany requires N95's but that is the smartest thing I've heard yet! I'm a little nervous as our rules for flying with masks on may change in September and I don't want to sit next to some one who isn't wearing one for a long trip...am I being silly? my DH and I are also wearing N95's and if they don't like it tough! we are also going to try and eat meals at the parks but at off times. Have a SAFE trip but mostly a FUN trip!
Me personally I work for an airline and travel a lot. I wear and 95s at the airport and in lines. On the flight though I wear surgical just because for me I’m comfortable with that knowing that the aircraft has a filter system. The airports do not. I wait though until everyone has boarded, doors are in flight- engines on and the aircraft has it circulation on. I’m not the expert here but I believe the air system turns on when engines are on. Again this was pre surge/ delta. If I were flying domestically in the US I probably wear N95 on the flight. Since I personally could deal with a couple of hours in misery.It’s different when you’re on an eight hour flight though

Last edited:
I said this upthread a bit, but I believe that it bears repeating so I beg forgiveness from those who have seen it before - to those who wind up canceling/changing your plans, PLEASE take a moment to let Disney and/or Universal why you are not coming or spending less time or money at their parks. As has been said many times on this site, both Disney and Universal are, in the end, businesses out to make money. I'm sure that they can see the numbers and probably figure out why the cancellations are happening. But customer comments are a lot less ambiguous and can tell them exactly what their visitors want - i.e. a safe and happy vacation - and why they don't think it is possible given the current conditions (whatever you think the problems might be). Then maybe they will make the appropriate changes (at least the ones under their control) to make people want to take these long-delayed trips.

Okay, off my soapbox now!

I agree with you. Each time we cancelled, we told them it was due to COVID. I also think they can assume why there are more cancellations than usual the last few weeks too.

I agree with you. Each time we cancelled, we told them it was due to COVID. I also think they can assume why there are more cancellations than usual the last few weeks too.
I agree also. Working for an airline we have learned a lot about our customers in their reasons for canceling trips. Some reasons were within their control and some are not. I think the more business knows the butter..I think though it would also help to tell them exactly why you canceled due to Covid. It can go either way. I don’t wanna get in trouble posting anything here but everyone has their reasons and their opinions and they vary. Here we can’t get too much into it but nothings holding you back expressing your opinion and thoughts to Disney. They should know

While I agree, me cancelling my trip had zero to do with Disney and everything to do with Covid and things that are out of Disney's control. They could have put every safety measure and more back in place and it would not have made a difference in my decision to delay our trip.

If I was delaying due to things closed, crowd levels or something like that I would have told them but honestly, those were not my reasons.

Posting this reminder again. Please stay within the DIS guidelines for Covid discussion. All post from when I posted this earlier today and on that don’t comply will get warnings and points applied.

Policy on COVID discussions

The global COVID pandemic created unprecedented restrictions, disruptions and changes to our travel, work, shopping, schooling, social interactions and so many other aspects of our lives since the beginning of 2020. We’ve all been affected, and we have been inundated with news, information, mis-information, frustrations and opinions. We’ve heard them, we’ve shared them, we’ve argued about them.

The discussions, debates and arguments about the virus, distancing and masking policies, various politicians’ statements and actions have been overwhelming and divisive. Many threads on the DISboards have been derailed or devolved into arguments due to this topic. We understand the passion, but feel that we’ve let the discussions run their course. We are sure there are better places on the WWW to learn about and debate scientific, medical and political issues. The mission of the DISboards is to be a great travel resource and a friendly community.

Now that travel is opening up again, it’s time to refocus on that mission!

From this point on, we will welcome information on COVID policies RELATED TO TRAVEL. Things like the vaccination policies issued by venues or destinations, the cleaning or distancing procedures in use, practical tips for travelers or things they might need to know that are different from location to location are all valid topics. Any official policies issued by Disney, other travel destinations, cruise lines, airlines, etc. regarding requirements for visiting parks or cruising can be shared. This information needs to be on-topic for the specific forum and thread where posted.

We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. There are a few often repeated trigger items that won’t be allowed: No statistics about infection rates, no ranting about individual rights, no “face-diaper” comments, no debate about whether vaccinations or masking are effective, no discussions about which governor or politician or news personality did or said what.

In summary: COVID related discussion should be limited to actual policy and practical application, and NOT veer into opinion or debate.

We understand that you may be passionate in your opinions on this topic and want to discuss or debate them, and appreciate your understanding that there are more appropriate places than the DISboards to do that.

Thank you,
DISboards Administrators
I'm confused. Isn't everyone seeking opinions on 'what would you do/what are you going to do'?? Therefore people's opinions of whether or not they think it's wise or foolish to go to Disney seems relevant and warranted to me. Where am I misunderstanding?

I'd like to see the park reduce capacity as well.
That is the obvious solution. But the park reservation system has backfired, and now Disney has painted themselves into a corner. When things were looking better a month or two ago, they opened up park reservations and resort reservations way too much and too quickly. And now they're trapped. They can't very well cancel people's existing reservations. Which means that they have no way of limiting capacity over the next few months --- when reduced capacity will be needed most.

I just moved our trip from Sept to Nov this afternoon. Did it online, so there was no way to tell them why. We just got back from a last-minute unplanned trip to DL last week and so I knew I was going to move it back some in order to "spread out" our vacations, but I ended up choosing the latest we can go and still make F&W. Hopefully this will be contained by then. We mask everywhere (and our kids still caught something at DL, though I don't think its COVID because no adults caught it), but even with the indoor masking now, there is just too much in FL to risk it.

That is the obvious solution. But the park reservation system has backfired, and now Disney has painted themselves into a corner. When things were looking better a month or two ago, they opened up park reservations and resort reservations way too much and too quickly. And now they're trapped. They can't very well cancel people's existing reservations. Which means that they have no way of limiting capacity over the next few months --- when reduced capacity will be needed most.

I guess they could lower capacity on all these days that are green on the calendar, but i suppose it wouldn’t make sense when you have the days that are already yellow like the 50th, Christmas etc…

I'm confused. Isn't everyone seeking opinions on 'what would you do/what are you going to do'?? Therefore people's opinions of whether or not they think it's wise or foolish to go to Disney seems relevant and warranted to me. Where am I misunderstanding?

Please see the pinned thread about posting about Covid and follow those guidelines.

If you go to WDW now you will be exposed to someone with Covid. That’s just math at this point. You will be in line at some point with a covid infected person, once again just math based on current rates. Your personal risk tolerance is really what will determine if you go or not. Mask are required inside, but the social distancing from last year is gone. I would just say look at the data of risk for vaccinated adults and children and make the decision you personally feel is best.

If you go to WDW now you will be exposed to someone with Covid. That’s just math at this point. You will be in line at some point with a covid infected person, once again just math based on current rates. Your personal risk tolerance is really what will determine if you go or not. Mask are required inside, but the social distancing from last year is gone. I would just say look at the data of risk for vaccinated adults and children and make the decision you personally feel is best.
Along with no more temperature checks

Opinions related to actual policy and practical application may be discussed, what is not welcome is what the DISboards Admins have provided as guidelines. The following is taken from the quote you posted.

'We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. There are a few often repeated trigger items that won’t be allowed: No statistics about infection rates, no ranting about individual rights, no “face-diaper” comments, no debate about whether vaccinations or masking are effective, no discussions about which governor or politician or news personality did or said what.

In summary: COVID related discussion should be limited to actual policy and practical application, and NOT veer into opinion or debate.'

You are welcome to contact admin@wdwinfo.com if you wish and they will be happy to discuss things further.

Last edited:
My family’s trip is planned for Oct 9-17 and our family is fully vaccinated. However, for better safety measures we’re flying nonstop and renting a car for personal transportation, we’ve opted not to stay on property this year, we’ve rented a home, only doing two days at EPCOT’s Food & Wine festival. We do plan to spend a day at Fort Wilderness because they have so much to offer outdoors. My husband will be playing golf alone on property and us girls (myself and two daughters, ages 23 & 16) have spa treatments at the Swan and Dolphin hotel. We’re all going to do mini golf at the course where the theme is winter (I forget the name) We’ll spend time at Disney Springs shopping, bowling and maybe one or two dinners there as well.
Most of our meals will be at our house rental and like many home rentals in Florida it has a pool and hot tub in the backyard so we’ll take advantage of that and thus avoiding the folks at water parks and resort pools.
Like many on these boards my family has canceled previous trips due to this pandemic and once the spring came with lifted restrictions we forged ahead with plans for our family vacation. I really want to be there for the 50th Birthday because who knows if after this current variant we’re experiencing slows down if another one won’t be there to take its place.
We’re from MD and our small state is one of if not the leading state in regards to vaccinations so my family hasn’t had to wear a mask for several months now except at work and that’s only for my job and oldest daughter’s job, husband’s job doesn’t require it and not sure what the mask mandate will be when younger daughter returns to school in September. HOWEVER, we have absolutely no problem wearing them while being there if that means we get to spend some time together in Disney, even if it’s a modified version of Disney. Some Disney is always better than no Disney.
Stay safe everyone, I’ll try to remember to report back a week or two to let you all know what our experience was and to report any sickness.

If Disney really wanted to help, it would greatly reduce capacity. Cramming people like sardines does not help to combat Covid, the flu, colds, etc., etc.
Then they wouldn't be able to afford to stay open. A company has to be able to make money to stay in business and pay its employees and stockholders. My two neighbors got covid having lunch with another couple, and they are fully vaccinated so it can happen anywhere. A theme park with thousands of people will never be risk free in a pandemic. You can wear your mask indoors and out if you wish.

Ugh we were so excited to go then comes Delta :worried: !!!!! We are going to talk tonight about postponing until May 2022, so not totally sure what we will end up doing. Even though we are vaccinated there is the comfort level that I am dealing with. If we go I will pack OTC covid testing kits incase anyone of us at any point feels sick. This way you can do in the comfort of your hotel room instead of trying to find a testing site :sick:
Update we are moving trip to May 2022, fingers crossed Covid will be better under control by then if not we will figure it out then. I am sad we won’t be there on the actual 50TH date but happy it is an 18 month long celebration.

My friends and I are going in 18 days (end of August) all 3 of us are fully vaccinated in our 20s. We got N95 masks to wear in any type of crowds, and surgical masks as well. We thought about canceling, but just couldn't justify losing the tickets (my friends are former cast members, and the comp tickets they had gotten to keep expire in September.) We are planning to avoid rope drop crowds and stay later at the parks instead, and we are DVC so will be doing a certain amount of meals cooked in our own space. I'm still a little nervous, however these groups have helped me feel more prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter