To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Strolls in three days late to discuss Dance Moms and wish Gigi luck on her final audition on Wednesday!
large.gif

Also, on a fritter related note. I have friends in Madison. Is there a race there I should be doing as a reason to go get a fritter?

Edit: Also love the use of the Gossip Girl gif on the previous page that I apparently missed the first time around.
giphy.gif

Strolls in three days late to discuss Dance Moms and wish Gigi luck on her final audition on Wednesday!

Thanks!

Also, on a fritter related note. I have friends in Madison. Is there a race there I should be doing as a reason to go get a fritter?

Greenbush Bakery! Let's be honest, never need any additional reasons to go and get a fritter. FYI, the parking lot is a tailgate location on football Saturdays (like this coming Saturday). So I'd keep that in mind if that's the day they chose to go.

I found two race options:

http://www.madisonfantasyrun.com

http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0b4ea4ac22a75-trek1

Greenbush Bakery! Let's be honest, never need any additional reasons to go and get a fritter. FYI, the parking lot is a tailgate location on football Saturdays (like this coming Saturday). So I'd keep that in mind if that's the day they chose to go.

I found two race options:

http://www.madisonfantasyrun.com

http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0b4ea4ac22a75-trek1
Both seem good, sadly I won't be there this weekend but probably sometime in the spring or summer.

Both seem good, sadly I won't be there this weekend but probably sometime in the spring or summer.

Well whenever you figure out the weekend just let me know and I'll find you a good fritter day (race). We've got a few good local running companies that put on races all the time around here.

Resting HR Data

Coming up on a year's worth of resting HR data via my Garmin 235. So, I thought it would be interesting to look at the recent data trends again.

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 8.45.19 AM.png

This is a graph of every daily resting HR data point in the last year. There are two very large peaks: Mid-January and early October. Those represent two critical windows.

The Mid-January occurrence was when I had the peak of my sinus infection. The sinus infection had been lingering since Mid-December, but by Mid-January it caused a fever and I was put on medication. The resting HR was reactive to that with a 68 (far outside the normal).

The second occurrence in early October was my marathon. You can see a sudden rise in resting HR to a value of 64 on the day of the marathon. Interestingly, you can see the resting HR stays high for a few more days after the actual event. This makes sense since my body was in recovery mode and I had taken off running for 7 days.

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 8.45.28 AM.png

I find this second graph to be more useful because it eliminates the noise of day to day variation. This is the weekly average of resting HR. Now you can see two red peaks early on (Dopey and sinus infection) and a third yellow peak later on (the October marathon).

What's interesting is to watch the trend post-races or events. My resting HR reached it's lowest average the week of 4/30-5/6 at 43.9. What's so significant about that timeframe? That just so happens to be when I hit my peak for relative HR to pace running performance. i.e. That's when I was in the best shape of my life.

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 8.54.20 AM.png

Under ideal conditions, the HRvPace data was predicting some outlandish capabilities. So why the bounce back right after that week? That was the first of three consecutive "race" weekends for me (Bunny Head time trials and Brat Fest 5k). As training declined and racing increased, my resting HR started to climb and I was no longer in peak fitness. For the next couple weeks after I took some easy weeks (only 2 hard workouts) and you can see my HR just kind of sit around 50-52. But as soon as I went back to 3 hard days per week and seriously training again, the HR dropped back down to 47-50.

After the October marathon (yellow bar) you can see the same occurrence. Time off for one week and didn't seriously start training for a few weeks. The green bar represents the first time back to legit 3 hard day training and the HR responds almost immediately. It'll be interesting to see the resting HR react to the remainder of the Dopey training. It also gives me a glimpse into how my body is reacting to different types of stimulus throughout the training cycle in a year. Here's hoping I can figure out how to hit that peak fitness again when the time comes for another "A" performance.

I was out running in this same weather and having these same thoughts then I saw someone in capris! You sconnies are crazy!

LOL, that is nuts! Although that might have been a chosen attire for the game, and then who the heck knows with people's clothing choices.

Just wanted to pop in and say Hi and that I really enjoy reading your journal. It has been helpful, motivational, and inspirational. Also have to say that my DD is extremely jealous that you got to meet Abby Lee Miller. We have run into Sig Hanson (Northwestern) from Deadliest Catch at the Anchorage airport and the boats pull in to port often, but as my DD says and I quote "stinky fisherman are not as cool as Abby Lee." True!

Just wanted to pop in and say Hi and that I really enjoy reading your journal. It has been helpful, motivational, and inspirational. Also have to say that my DD is extremely jealous that you got to meet Abby Lee Miller. We have run into Sig Hanson (Northwestern) from Deadliest Catch at the Anchorage airport and the boats pull in to port often, but as my DD says and I quote "stinky fisherman are not as cool as Abby Lee." True!

:welcome: and thanks for reading! I'll say that she's everything you'd imagine if you were to meet her. She is exactly as she is on tv (for better or for worse). It was definitely an interesting experience. That's pretty cool that you got to meet Sig!

G had her final audition on Wednesday. It went well again. This time was interactions with a "brother" and "mother". We were contacted late last night that she didn't get the role. Apparently, it was a tough decision since they met about it for hours. But she made a great impression on the agency and they'll be in contact when other opportunities present themselves.

45 Days to Go (Perfection!)

giphy.gif

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace)

11/13/17 - M - MBW
11/14/17 - T - 2 mi @ WU + 6 x 1 mile @ T w/ 1 min RI @ WU + 4 x 200 @ R w/ 200 RI @ WU + 2 mi @ CD (10/10)
11/15/17 - W - 7 miles @ 7:54-8:28 min/mile
11/16/17 - R - 2 mile WU + 5 miles @ HM Tempo + 2 mile CD (5/5)
11/17/17 - F - 7 miles @ 7:54-8:28 min/mile
11/18/17 - Sat - 11 miles @ 7:54-8:28 min/mile + MBW
11/19/17 - Sun - 16 miles @ 7:35 min/mile (15/15)
11/20/17 - M - MBW

Total (training) mileage = 63.8 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = 30/30 (100%)

Monday

Scheduled for a MBW on Monday, but the Saturday MBW bothered my knee a touch. So I decided to take one MBW off and see if it might have been just an anomaly. G and I spent a great deal of time playing Wii Resort. We were a team on archery each holding one remote.

Tuesday

2 mile WU + 6 x 1 mile @ T w/ 1 min RI + 4 x 200m @ R w/ 200m RI + 2 mile CD

WC 38, 12 mph wind, night

T Pace = 6:33 min/mile
T Window = +/- 5 seconds (6:28-6:38)

R Pace = 5:41 min/mile (41 sec for 200m)
R Window = +/- 1 second (40.0-42.9 seconds)

The run went as expected:

T Pace = 6:31, 6:28, 6:28, 6:28, 6:29, 6:28
R Pace = 41.3, 42.7, 41.8, 42.9

If anything I pushed too hard throughout the run since at the end of 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 I had to back off to just sneak it into the interval window. The HR average dropped over time throughout the workout as I kept getting stronger. The workout as a whole wasn't as easy as last weeks 3mi + 2x1 mi, but it was still doable.

Predicted TRIMP = 164
Actual TRIMP = 180

On to Thursday's workout which will be a real test for me (5 miles at HM Tempo with full hill experience).

Wednesday

WC 26, wind of 16-28mph, night. Average pace was 8:23 and HR of 133.

Thursday

3 mile WU + 5 miles @ HM Tempo + 3 mile CD

WC 32, no wind, night

Decided to try and maximize performance on this run. I went with shorts, singlet, and just some light gloves/arm sleeves. I was willing to tolerate the cold to maximize the flying. I also pulled out the race day shoes for another test run (Kinvara 8).

HM Tempo = 6:41 min/mile
HM Window = +/- 10 seconds (6:31-6:51)

I was nervous about this run. Would I actually be able to pull off a 6:41 min/mile for 5 consecutive miles with my normal hilly route?

HM Tempo = 6:45, 6:48, 6:40, 6:44, 6:33

Very solid run! Overall average pace 6:42. The average GAP (grade adjusted pace) was 6:38. Very happy with the performance. What was astonishing was the HR - 142, 148, 147, 149, 150. That's at or below Marathon Tempo historical (148-152). I think this is a by-product of going shorts/singlet in 32 degrees. But, I'll take it for sure. After the first couple miles I didn't feel like it was sustainable. But as the run progressed I kept getting stronger. VO2max estimate up to 58 which is the highest it has been since April (59). Likely another by product of the cold HR bonus. Regardless, a very solid run and right on track.

Predicted TRIMP = 150
Actual TRIMP = 155

Friday

Miserable weather day. WC of 31, rain, 10mph wind. Average pace of 8:44 with HR of 129. I had to squeeze this one in from arriving home from work and picking up Steph from her work. There were periods of some serious downpours. With the temps, it just made it miserable.

Saturday

Another early morning run. Steph had to leave for work by 7:15am. It was also predicted to be a wintery mix, so I wanted to get it done sooner rather than later. Got started at 5:17 am. It was WC of 29, ice pellets/rain/snow, 9-11 mph wind. Average pace 7:57 min/mile and HR of 132.

G is getting wild. She slams the bedroom door and in the process falls and hits her shoulder. She wells up and starts to cry. I ask her "what's wrong? Are you hurt?" The following is the sequence afterwards:

Me - "G, are you hurt?"
G - Mumble mumble
Me - "G, I can't understand you."
G - Mumble mumble
Me - "G, if you want me to know what you're saying you have to speak up and clearly."
G - "Whatcha" mumble
Me - "Huh?"
G - "Whatcha looking at?"
Me - "Wait, what did you say?"
G - "Whatcha looking at?"
Me - "Who says that?"
G - "Me, when I'm mad."

Bwhwhahahahaha! No worries, no permanent damage...

Sunday

46 days to go!

16 miles @ Long Run

WC of 12, 15 mph wind, sunny

This was a very tough run to dress appropriately for. It was an actual temp of 24 which requires a certain set of clothes. But the wind chill was 12 which requires a different set of clothes. The hard part was when I was in the wind it was cold. When I was not in the wind, then it was hot. Never really comfortable.

Long Run Pace = 7:35 min/mile
Long Run Window = +/- 10 seconds (7:25-7:45)

Long Run = 7:42, 7:38, 7:27, 7:38, 7:36, 7:35, 7:37, 7:36, 7:39, 7:34, 7:31, 7:31, 7:41, 7:30, 7:30

Another solid workout. It certainly wasn't easy and I could really feel that 11 miles from yesterday. But I was able to get through it. Took an E-Gel at mile 3.5 and 11. Overall average pace was 7:35, GAP was 7:30, HR of 138 (historical 138-142) and 15/15 intervals hit! A perfect interval week with 30/30 intervals within window. Solid!

Predicted TRIMP = 227
Actual TRIMP = 209

Weekly TRIMP Load Predicted = 825
Weekly TRIMP Load Actual = 855

Only 4 weeks of legit training left. Ready to attack these last 4 weeks in prep for Dopey. Feeling good about where I'm at. I have just passed my "Fitness" from the day prior to the October marathon. Funny enough, back in mid-October I predicted my "Fitness" would be back to pre-marathon levels on 11/19/17. I'd say I'm right on target. :)

Weight on Sunday morning = 162.4 lbs.

Down 5-7 pounds total from starting back on paying attention. Was suppose to be 162 by this weekend, but I guess I let some things slip. So goal for next weekend would be 162. That would be a huge success with Thanksgiving coming up.

Great training week!

What's this GAP and how is it calculated? I'm assuming it has something to do with hills and I've always been curious how the hills affect my pacing.

Great training week!

Thanks!

What's this GAP and how is it calculated? I'm assuming it has something to do with hills and I've always been curious how the hills affect my pacing.

https://medium.com/strava-engineering/improving-grade-adjusted-pace-b9a2a332a5dc

http://mungerruns.blogspot.com/2014/11/reverse-engineering-stravas-grade.html

Grade Adjusted Pace. I'm not positive of the actual calculation, but someone on reddit seems to believe it is GAP = 0.44*feet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/running/comments/58dvgf/strava_gap_calculation_analysis/

Every 44 feet of elevation equals 10 second GAP difference. If the GAP calculation is good though, I've got to believe going uphill is harder than going downhill. A 5% uphill is not the same as a 5% downhill (dependent on a few factors).

You can find GAP on your Strava post-workout information on the online interface.

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 8.35.51 AM.png

Awesome training week! 30/30 intervals is fantastic - you definitely are right on track! Interesting to see how your HR is adjusting, too, I think that can only spell good things : )

Awesome training week!

Thanks!

30/30 intervals is fantastic - you definitely are right on track!

Agreed! Nice to know I'm striking the right balance again.

Interesting to see how your HR is adjusting, too, I think that can only spell good things : )

It's a pretty good indicator. It's not the end all be all, but another piece of data that allows one to evaluate the training in the big picture. The cold certainly plays a role as well though. The recovery advisor after the 16 mile LR was 21 hours, which was an LOL moment. No way I'd want to do another hard workout only 21 hours after that one. It's a by-product of my HR never getting above 150 (78.9% HRR) during the run and averaging 138 (69.5% HRR).

Nice work! Funny how all these things that could make a person say "nope" to a workout (cold, wind, rain, wintery mix, cramming in a run) but when you've got a goal and it's SO CLOSE (omg how is January already so close???) and you just get out there and get it done!

I'm not sure I could ever make myself wear shorts and a singlet in this weather but I certainly understand the feeling of being both freezing and then too hot during the same run dependent on windchill, etc.

I know people use GAP charts for treadmill inclines too, but since I only ever really put a 1 incline at most I generally ignore it and just use the mph's without doing any math adjustment. Since the 1 is supposed to replicate the roads more. Would you say that's ok that I do that?

I know people use GAP charts for treadmill inclines too, but since I only ever really put a 1 incline at most I generally ignore it and just use the mph's without doing any math adjustment. Since the 1 is supposed to replicate the roads more. Would you say that's ok that I do that?
You probably weren't asking me, but I'll give you my input anyway. I always use 1% incline and according to this site that gets you pretty close. However, I've also read that the 1% thing is a lie and doesn't matter. I tend to still do it though, mostly out of habit but also figuring it won't hurt anything. I also have a box fan pointed directly at me so I don't get too overheated but I'm assuming that helps with the whole wind factor as well.

https://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/biomechanics-expert-debunks-treadmill-running-myths

I will also have to give kudos to you for going with shorts and singlet in 32 degrees, but at those speeds you are truly to fast to freeze. We also love Wii resort when stuck indoors.

Nice work!

Thanks!

Funny how all these things that could make a person say "nope" to a workout (cold, wind, rain, wintery mix, cramming in a run) but when you've got a goal and it's SO CLOSE (omg how is January already so close???) and you just get out there and get it done!

It's never a matter of "if" for me. It's usually only a matter of "when". I cherish the time I get to run because I know at any moment that freedom could be taken away from me by a myriad of reasons. If I'm healthy and able, then I'll do my best to find the time. If that means 3:45am or 10:00pm, or wind/cold/sleet/rain/etc. I'll get out there and get it done. It's not always easy, but sometimes the things in life that are really worth it aren't that easy.

I'm not sure I could ever make myself wear shorts and a singlet in this weather but I certainly understand the feeling of being both freezing and then too hot during the same run dependent on windchill, etc.

We both know worse weather is coming. Cherish the fleeting moments we have left of temps resembling non-sub-human tolerability. Plus, I run really hot. So, when I'm going that fast, I'm actually not that cold. But I can tell it for sure when I get home and I have the chills. Takes a while to warm back up.

I'd say do a nice mix. Up, down, flat. I'm not a treadmill runner, but I'd venture to guess mixing up the routine would be helpful in simulating outside.

You probably weren't asking me, but I'll give you my input anyway. I always use 1% incline and according to this site that gets you pretty close. However, I've also read that the 1% thing is a lie and doesn't matter. I tend to still do it though, mostly out of habit but also figuring it won't hurt anything. I also have a box fan pointed directly at me so I don't get too overheated but I'm assuming that helps with the whole wind factor as well.

https://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/biomechanics-expert-debunks-treadmill-running-myths

Interesting! I'll have to read the scientific paper when I get the time.

I will also have to give kudos to you for going with shorts and singlet in 32 degrees, but at those speeds you are truly to fast to freeze. We also love Wii resort when stuck indoors.

Thanks! Agreed, going as fast as I am and running as hot as I tend to do makes that doable. Wii Resort is a fun game! She tried out Wii Mario Kart for the first time, but not yet getting the hang of it yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter