• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Hope you get some answers soon! I’m sure it’s been frustrating not knowing and not being able to formulate plan, and frustrating not running as you’d like!

Happy 4th birthday! What a cutie! Also, what a pretty cake!

Oh my gosh! Adorable!!!

Happy happy 4th Birthday G!!!!!

:D

I love that she has a moon cake. I hope she's not too attached to cake, though, because I feel like they don't eat much cake in space. You should buy some of that astronaut ice cream stuff (do they still sell that?) ... get her started on her astronaut diet early.

Her dream job right now is "Astronaut Crossing Guard" so not sure whether or not that means no cake. Sounds like a good plan moving forward to start incorporating into the diet though...

(Also ... I didn't know Crazy Frog was still around.)

It came on during one of our dance parties on the cable music channel. Found it on youtube and it gets played every once in a while.

That is an awesome cake!

Thanks! We were very happy with how it turned out.

OMG, she is seriously the cutest! Happy birthday, Gigi!

Such a strong spunky girl! Go get em Gigi, happy birthday girl!

Hope you get some answers soon! I’m sure it’s been frustrating not knowing and not being able to formulate plan, and frustrating not running as you’d like!

I'm just trying to stay patient. The "A" goal is Chicago and that's still there for the taking. Just trying to be as forward thinking as I can right now in the short term. All tests have come back negative so that's great news.

Happy 4th birthday! What a cutie! Also, what a pretty cake!

Happy Birthday, sweet G! Love her birthday theme and that awesome cake.

I can't remember if I've said this to you already (I probably have), my mother's name is Gisela, so I totally love G's name!

Omg, she gets more adorable every day! And that cake is epic!

Thanks!

Happy Birthday, sweet G! Love her birthday theme and that awesome cake.

Thanks!

I can't remember if I've said this to you already (I probably have), my mother's name is Gisela, so I totally love G's name!

You have! It's a great name!

Glad all the tests are coming up negative thus far!

So far so good.

Just catching up.... those bumps are super weird but glad tests are coming back negative. Hope they can figure out what is causing it soon!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY G!!! She is so adorable!!

G is such a cutie!!! Love the astronaut theme.

I also have Raynaud's. My toes are rarely bothered when I'm out running, but I use the "Hot Hands" hand warmers for my fingers when it's below 20 degrees. I find that when I'm dressed appropriately, I don't have much of an issue, but sometimes when I think it's warm enough to not worry about it (like at a 50 degree spring baseball game), then my fingers will turn white because I'm not prepared.

Just catching up.... those bumps are super weird but glad tests are coming back negative. Hope they can figure out what is causing it soon!

Thanks, me too!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY G!!! She is so adorable!!

Thanks!

G is such a cutie!!! Love the astronaut theme.

Thanks!

I also have Raynaud's. My toes are rarely bothered when I'm out running, but I use the "Hot Hands" hand warmers for my fingers when it's below 20 degrees. I find that when I'm dressed appropriately, I don't have much of an issue, but sometimes when I think it's warm enough to not worry about it (like at a 50 degree spring baseball game), then my fingers will turn white because I'm not prepared.

Good to hear! Hopeful that I can find a good place with it as well with our winters.

Never been a fan of treadmills. But if it comes down to my wife telling me I can't run outside because it's too cold (thus no running) vs running on a treadmill, then I guess I'll suck it up on the treadmill. The temperature is a concern if it's a trigger for raynuad's. Since WI weather rarely gets above 30 from November through April, then I'd need to find something to avoid a trigger. I'm thinking more-so much colder days for treadmill days, but I need to find that balance for myself if it comes down to saving my hands.

Funny enough, at today's birthday party for my daughter I confirmed with my mother she indeed has raynaud's as well (she just didn't know the name of it).

Personally, I've run as low as -25F for 10 miles and was fine before. But moving forward, I might need to avoid those super cold days.

Agreed. I've always preferred the cold.

Totally much warmer. Thankfully the basement is quite chilly here in WI. I'd guess it's probably in the 50s down there.

Read that earlier. Seemed luke warm to me. I'd definitely need to run on it to get a feel for his description and whether I find it to be weird. It's really pricey which means I need to justify and be completely satisfied with it before even seriously considering it.

Cold triggers Raynaud's attacks, yes, but it's not a matter of cold = attack. You'll have to experiment with it. If I'm outside in cold weather and moving, either from running or tennis, then I can be good and have no problems. On the other hand, if I just sat outside, bundled up, and didn't do anything in the same temperature (or even warmer), that can lead to an attack. I've had attacks going from outside summer temps into somewhat over-air-conditioned, but still 60+F temps. Or in the morning, when the heat has been turned down to a "freezing" 63 F overnight, I can get an attack when I wake up and haven't moved around much yet. But contrastingly, I ran Saturday in about 45 F temps in light rain for 90 min and got soaked through and did not have an attack. (And I did run in single-digit temps for a week+ in late Dec/early Jan.)

I think about it more as if you "get a chill" or not, if you know what I mean. Sometimes the combination of activity level + ambient temperature + ? = you are chilled, but other times most of those conditions are similar and yet you are not chilled. The "?" additions might be wet, sweaty clothes, leading you to get chilled vs. jumping in a hot shower right away vs. drinking something cold (or hot, for the opposite effect). The "getting a chill" tends to be what leads to an attack. Not sure that all makes sense, but FWIW.

Anyway, really if Raynaud's is all you have and the other tests are negative and symptoms go away, then it's really not so bad. It's pretty easy to manage with a little forethought.

Houston, we have a 4 year old!

View attachment 301835

View attachment 301836

View attachment 301829

View attachment 301833

View attachment 301834

View attachment 301827

View attachment 301832

View attachment 301831

View attachment 301828

View attachment 301830

One of Gigi's birthday wishes was to write you all a message:

jhhgfgbbmn,,,,,.llpp[[[[-0oiiiiiiaaawwweeerrtttyuggg

gigi

:bday::flower1::fish:pirate::yoda:

So cute! Hope she had a great birthday! Totally approve of the astronaut and moon theme! :)

Cold triggers Raynaud's attacks, yes, but it's not a matter of cold = attack. You'll have to experiment with it. If I'm outside in cold weather and moving, either from running or tennis, then I can be good and have no problems. On the other hand, if I just sat outside, bundled up, and didn't do anything in the same temperature (or even warmer), that can lead to an attack. I've had attacks going from outside summer temps into somewhat over-air-conditioned, but still 60+F temps. Or in the morning, when the heat has been turned down to a "freezing" 63 F overnight, I can get an attack when I wake up and haven't moved around much yet. But contrastingly, I ran Saturday in about 45 F temps in light rain for 90 min and got soaked through and did not have an attack. (And I did run in single-digit temps for a week+ in late Dec/early Jan.)

I think about it more as if you "get a chill" or not, if you know what I mean. Sometimes the combination of activity level + ambient temperature + ? = you are chilled, but other times most of those conditions are similar and yet you are not chilled. The "?" additions might be wet, sweaty clothes, leading you to get chilled vs. jumping in a hot shower right away vs. drinking something cold (or hot, for the opposite effect). The "getting a chill" tends to be what leads to an attack. Not sure that all makes sense, but FWIW.

Anyway, really if Raynaud's is all you have and the other tests are negative and symptoms go away, then it's really not so bad. It's pretty easy to manage with a little forethought.

Sounds like it'll just take time to find the right balance.

So cute! Hope she had a great birthday! Totally approve of the astronaut and moon theme! :)

Thanks! I figured you'd like her future career choice.

Well we have one of three diagnoses nailed down. Went to the Sports Doc. Was lucky to get an appointment I guess since someone had just cancelled right before I called. Did all the normal pomp and circumstance. He felt all around my right calf and bone and no pain. He decided to send me for a blood clot test and x-ray. Blood clot test was negative, but the x-ray found something. He said let me try and push one more time. YEP, you found it! Low grade fibula stress fracture on the back side which made it a bit more uncommon. He said since the fibula usually only bears 10-15% of the weight when running (and sometimes less when walking) it can be tricky to feel. Sometimes people have them and don't even know it and it continues to persist. But each individual can run slightly different and I just so happen am able to feel it. Lucky me. Well, that puts me at 4-6 weeks off from running (technically 3-5 more weeks since I've been off for a week now). I'll go back in at the end for a check-up before trying to resume. He said I could cycle, but I don't have access to one. Might get a gym membership for a month. I asked about the elliptical and he hesitated. I said, if you're hesitating, then I don't want to do it. I'm extremely thankful at this point that I was able to run Dopey so well without issue. Guess I was so pumped up on adrenaline that the minor issue could fade to the background. Moving forward he's got me on a Vitamin D supplement (2000 IU per day). Glad to get that question answered and hoping that's the reason for the issues and not just a symptom of the issue.

Last edited:
Well we have one of three diagnoses nailed down. Went to the Sports Doc. Was lucky to get an appointment I guess since someone had just cancelled right before I called. Did all the normal pomp and circumstance. He felt all around my right calf and bone and no pain. He decided to send me for a blood clot test and x-ray. Blood clot test was negative, but the x-ray found something. He said let me try and push one more time. YEP, you found it! Low grade tibia stress fracture on the back side which made it a bit more uncommon. He said since the tibia usually only bears 10-15% of the weight when running (and sometimes less when walking) it can be tricky to feel. Sometimes people have them and don't even know it and it continues to persist. But each individual can run slightly different and I just so happen am able to feel it. Lucky me. Well, that puts me at 4-6 weeks off from running (technically 3-5 more weeks since I've been off for a week now). I'll go back in at the end for a check-up before trying to resume. He said I could cycle, but I don't have access to one. Might get a gym membership for a month. I asked about the elliptical and he hesitated. I said, if you're hesitating, then I don't want to do it. I'm extremely thankful at this point that I was able to run Dopey so well without issue. Guess I was so pumped up on adrenaline that the minor issue could fade to the background. Moving forward he's got me on a Vitamin D supplement (2000 IU per day). Glad to get that question answered and hoping that's the reason for the issues and not just a symptom of the issue.
I bet it’s a relief to know! Bummer you’re off another 3-5 weeks but you’ll be 100% in no time!

Well we have one of three diagnoses nailed down. Went to the Sports Doc. Was lucky to get an appointment I guess since someone had just cancelled right before I called. Did all the normal pomp and circumstance. He felt all around my right calf and bone and no pain. He decided to send me for a blood clot test and x-ray. Blood clot test was negative, but the x-ray found something. He said let me try and push one more time. YEP, you found it! Low grade tibia stress fracture on the back side which made it a bit more uncommon. He said since the tibia usually only bears 10-15% of the weight when running (and sometimes less when walking) it can be tricky to feel. Sometimes people have them and don't even know it and it continues to persist. But each individual can run slightly different and I just so happen am able to feel it. Lucky me. Well, that puts me at 4-6 weeks off from running (technically 3-5 more weeks since I've been off for a week now). I'll go back in at the end for a check-up before trying to resume. He said I could cycle, but I don't have access to one. Might get a gym membership for a month. I asked about the elliptical and he hesitated. I said, if you're hesitating, then I don't want to do it. I'm extremely thankful at this point that I was able to run Dopey so well without issue. Guess I was so pumped up on adrenaline that the minor issue could fade to the background. Moving forward he's got me on a Vitamin D supplement (2000 IU per day). Glad to get that question answered and hoping that's the reason for the issues and not just a symptom of the issue.

I’ve been swamped at work but saw your 3-miler on Strava and hoped it meant you were on the upswing. So definitely bummed to see that you’ve gotta take some more time off, but glad this ended up being low-grade and hopefully clean healing. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Also, not to armchair diagnose, but I sometimes get spots that look kinda like yours. In my case, it’s a mild allergic reaction, or so I’ve been told.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter