To recline or not to recline...

JaxDad

DIS Veteran
I saw this article on another message board...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/...ller-repeatedly-punched-seat-reclined-it.html
I'm fairly tall and hate it when the person in front of me reclines their seat, especially on short flights or during food service. (For the record, I rarely--if ever--recline mine.) However, I don't kick or punch the seat! Yikes! I recognize that passengers are certainly entitled to the full functionality of their paid seats. But, I wonder if reclining airline seats were really designed for the sardine cans that are now the norm for air travel.

What are your thoughts on this article or reclining airline seats in general?

My thought is- the airlines need to add a forward slide to the recline, such that the back of the seat doesnt recline back.. rather the seat part of the seat slides forward. Thus when you recline, you are taking up your OWN leg room.

If I am on a long flight, or am tired/want to sleep I'll recline my seat a smidge.. an inch or so, maybe 1/4 of how far the seat can actually recline. Makes it more comfortable, but doesn't take much space from the person behind me.

The only time I've interacted with a passenger over reclining was on a flight about 5-6 years ago. I had my tray table out, with my laptop sitting on it. The person in front of me suddenly reclined very fast, and the top of my laptop screen got "pinched" between the tray table latch area, and the tray table itself, and it cracked the glass on my screen. The person in front of me didn't even notice, and I had to ask them to un-recline so I could get my now-broken laptop out. They gave me some lip, it was noticed by a flight attendant, she made the guy un-recline so I could get my laptop out, and then he promptly reclined it (very quickly again) all the way back.

Of course the airline wasn't going to take liability for this, nor was the guy in front of me (and why should he? he didn't know).. but I'm now much more careful about how I have my laptop positioned on flights.

Personally I recline a very small bit just to create a better seating angle. If I'm on a late flight where people will be sleeping I probably will recline.

If someone reclines back into my lap it's annoying but I try to be understanding.

I get that people want their seats to recline, but I also want to use my laptop or tablet on my tray table. Reclining seat backs were not designed for the limited space that we now have. I like the pp suggestion that they slide forward taking up YOUR leg room not that of the person behind you.

This past summer we were on our return flight from the UK to the US and the lady in front of my son suddenly reclined her seat as far back as it could, knocking over the tablet that he had on it onto the floor. She was oblivious to it. One of my daughters is very protective of her younger brother and immediately punched the ladies seat. Now I don't condone this behavior, and apologized, but 1) as my daughter said, she was in his bubble, and 2) she knocked over and could have damaged his table without even apologizing for what she did. Secretly I cheered her on as I can't stand people who recline all the way into my space.

Shrug.. there is also the basic human decency of not flopping your seat back, as if you expect the person behind you to be doing your dental work.

I have zero issue with people who recline their seat a bit. Something I think a lot of people don't consider: the distance an airplane seat can recline is pretty much the same as it was 30 years ago. However the amount of space between seats has been shrunk, and shrunk, and shrunk, such that the same recline long ago, is now much more invasive to the person behind you.

I always try to have faith that people generally have consideration for each other... and then I go to an airport and that illusion is shattered.. ;)

I try not to unless it's a long flight, and even then I don't recline all the way.

On one flight I was sitting with my legs crossed and the person in front of me kept slamming their seat into my knees because they wanted to recline. Sorry, but my legs were there first.

Airlines have shrunk passenger space so small that honestly I don't think they should have reclining seats except in 1st Class where they still have ample space. Find the angle most comfortable like stationary movie theater seats, lock them at that and let those who want to sleep bring the proper neck support. With the shrinking space should come shrinking amenities ... let recliners be the first to go.

For long flights I tend to go business class and I recline the seat especially when I'm ready to sleep. Tends not to be a problem for the row in front and behind me.
Short flights (like NYC-MCO) I grin and bear the horrors of the sardine can with the wifi that frequently cuts off and need to bring my own ear phones. Or I just take Amtrak which is much more relaxing.

I don’t usually recline unless my neck starts to spasm and I’m trying to figure out a position to make it stop. It doesn’t bother me if someone reclines in front of me. I get it. The seats are uncomfortable and we’re all just trying to survive the flight.

The only person who sucks here is the airline. They’ve made passengers go nuts over every inch of space because we’re so confined.

I don't generally recline my seat on most flights, but that's just me.

Obviously, everyone has the right to recline their seat. Unfortunately, planes have shrunk in seating space and it makes it hard for people to sit (especially with tray tables down) in their seats these days with people reclined, but that's just one of the annoyances of air travel these days. It's not the passengers fault, however.

I agree with the PP that there should be some understanding of people around you, especially in not slamming your seat back to fully reclined all at one time. Ease your way back, please.

I choose my seat on a flight, I would never choose a seat that doesn't recline.
I pay for a seat, so I will use that seat as I see fit. If I want to recline, I will.
If the person behind me has a problem with that take it up with the airlines.
This!

Also, I've had people recline in front of me while I've been working or eating and it really doesn't have much of an effect on me. I still had room to eat or work. No big deal. They don't go back that far.

Planes are so cramped these days that people have to learn to play with others. I'm not condoning what the guy did. He was wrong for doing it. I'd certainly never do that. Do that to the wrong person and there is no telling what they'll do. However, why do people embellish so much. He was nudging it, not punching it and it wasn't hard. Anyone that takes one in the back from a kicking kid behind them knows what hard is. This was just enough to be annoying. And the stewardess probably gave him a drink as a bribe so that he'd stop. And he's up against the bulk head. So he could not recline himself. Pretty soon we're going to be so crammed in it will be like "Ok we're at cruising altitude, everyone on three. One two three OUCH!! Wait was that on three or was that three and then recline?"

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, it's the airline's fault for cramming so many seats in (looking at YOU American in particular). That said, reclining is NOT more comfortable and you are an *** if you do recline. If you want that to be your legacy, then so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong, it's the airline's fault for cramming so many seats in (looking at YOU American in particular). That said, reclining is NOT more comfortable and you are an A## if you do recline. If you want that to be your legacy, then so be it.

Since you seem to know what all those A## are feeling in their seat I take it that means you are the King of them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter