To recline or not to recline...

We pay all this money to fly and put up with the fact that we are totally uncomfortable and it turns into arguments over whether you should recline your seat. That's assuming your flight doesn't get cancelled, or it's overbooked and you are bumped. It's ridiculous.

I recline. Before I do, I tell the person behind me that I'll be reclining in case they need to move something out of the way.

We fly primarily SWA so no no option for upgrade to first class lol.

Anywho those trays aren't even large enough for a drink and a book for pete's sake so someone taking their full laptop with them is going to find themselves at a disadvantage. IDK I see just how big of electronics people bring on planes that I don't even know that people realize.

The person who a) takes their laptop out (with or without the tray down) before they are supposed to because they just gotta use it b) the person who takes up way more space because of said laptop c) the screen brightness is god awful bright...come on you trying to blind me lol (that goes for tablets too) d) the click click click of the keyboard (though at least I have my headphones) and so on.

I think situational awareness works for everyone though. Recline a bit if you need to maybe not the whole way though and maybe consider not reclining for the whole flight to give the person behind you a break, if you've got a laptop just go in expecting someone will recline (that way you're prepared) and don't put your laptop so close to the back of the seat that it may get damaged..and also be considerate of those around you with your laptop AND follow the rules with respects to not taking it out til cruising altitude, etc.

To the seat recliners, look, we are among friends here, right? On some airlines (Jet Blue, Delta) there is plenty of room between the seats and it's no big deal. But other airlines (American, United, Spirit(?)) there just really isn't. Just letting you know that reclining your seat is not appreciated in those cases. That's all - no need to get upset.

lol ok, you’ve got a strange way of addressing friends.

I’m sorry but if people have an issue with seats that recline because it gives you less space then buy s ticket for s seat that gives you more.
It’s a pretty simple solution to your problem.

To the seat recliners, look, we are among friends here, right? On some airlines (Jet Blue, Delta) there is plenty of room between the seats and it's no big deal. But other airlines (American, United, Spirit(?)) there just really isn't. Just letting you know that reclining your seat is not appreciated in those cases. That's all - no need to get upset.
Kinda works both ways though don't it? Especially given your choice words in your first post on this thread. I mean your legacy will be calling people names but if you're down with that that's all that matters (and I'm assuming you are so no jab intended :) )

I say this as someone who pretty much never reclines my seat. I say this knowing my husband who is quite tall who has traveled a ton for work who may not enjoy a reclined seat but wouldn't drum up really any annoyance to it.

Goodness. If flying causes this much attitude, think I will stay on the ground!

But I do think a couple of people need to perhaps try reading, again, the post about the broken laptop. The poster wasn't complaining that he reclined, but that he reclined so QUICKLY that it caught her laptop and cracked it. Situational awareness goes both ways. Before you go moving your seat, maybe make sure it isn't going to do anything to anyone or their possessions? And just say "hey! I am going to recline my seat"

Who knew that reclining a seat would bring out so much defensiveness?

Goodness. If flying causes this much attitude, think I will stay on the ground!

But I do think a couple of people need to perhaps try reading, again, the post about the broken laptop. The poster wasn't complaining that he reclined, but that he reclined so QUICKLY that it caught her laptop and cracked it. Situational awareness goes both ways. Before you go moving your seat, maybe make sure it isn't going to do anything to anyone or their possessions? And just say "hey! I am going to recline my seat"

Who knew that reclining a seat would bring out so much defensiveness?
Lot of people just want to be left alone on a flight or are sleeping or are engrossed in watching something or listening to something. I hardly see anyone but people in the same group talking with each other. even nudging someone about snack or drinks you probably will just let them sleep. Besides I hardly expect someone to tell me each and every time they are going to recline their seat that would get annoying real fast like thanks but I was reading or now I gotta stop my music. I just accept that there is a possibility. One can call it common courtesy and normally I would agree but not really in this case where it would become more of a hassle over time plus you're in an airplane. I suppose if the person is only going to do it once reclines their seat, never re-raises it until they are told to do so I could see telling at that point. I've seen people use their seat for stability to get up they don't know what's behind them at that point nor would I require them to do so. I just look at it that I need to be aware of what's in front of me--easier for me to anticipate that given that I'm looking forward and can more easily control my stuff.

Anywho I was commenting on my experience with seeing just how far back I see tablets and laptops on the teensy tiny trays not a particular poster. That leaves them open to risk of damage from the getgo.

I normally fly Delta, and generally don't recline my seat. Why? Because I'm thinking about the person behind me? Nope. It's the fact the recline doesn't do much. A number of years ago, a coworker and I were flying home on Delta and got upgraded to Comfort+ seats. While not First Class, there's are supposed to be more comfortable. When we got to our destination, I reclined the seat intentionally to get a picture of how much the recline is.
bSB0feMuDm2U1dLcgCsv5shyZNfUtIl65LcdXBYfO_7m2vdK1iIIBOev86jz4_ZAPuUJGFunaRdl8_yaQecEO0rv3p94zNCzM-I6_9CuPqpgTsj-yXj2AUpDJvabbxzcn7clHVYPdAwjqHzx1sNKuRQJ8BqY_lvTKrnKqX6Z3R2F9CpCj4QnTZM7Mb6GKPBm8GYixUwTp8Su-X4rg8enB0U2Yo_loQ6A6II2Jw3GT_gWdVGE1MCwgXALbuRO3XV7F5ADmgbiuSZ6gqBT-CKuLtgMxLPt82Yu3aNVMP9vRS-j4ym1-SxK-F4F82UZa44MLFyykO2QDH75IoSSWGrdCyuhETDptZ-PcQpzWIxN-dol-4Wop_ZdHv6Cgc9z1Pk0HdDVsObUb-VUxpe-G7fyAXXqYg5kSfXhosQAg_oduyOQUt-7tZ5w72kFRC9SLo3GApjDqfEv5Dj01_EsQsecNNHKALVRcssMiWEeB14zjq8ZIvsKCWYSXWaWeybKisB_4Z9uQ9RUV9I8HFQOcim1Az-1PuI8u0S2e15BnRdIOtA2WuDoVUU8sAOqJ0lTH-vf1J4_XFT_QzM7ZAZVUGSn5J3tUNhWAdqCUrZ5CGZI8mLKk4WWJQxWpQqENK1SjQH7MBzs_prOQmacJov5OldplUaoU7YacMhojmDqBqVNdxR7bPY0hHIdXXyLVLQ=s937-w528-h937-no

That's what? Maybe 2-3" of recline at the furthest part?

Every flight I have been on where I've tried to recline the seat, the bottom of the seat is the "hinge", and the top of the seat goes back. So I don't understand how it affect foot room, and might be an inch or two at knee level.

I've never been on a flight where reclining made enough difference to do it, so I don't. I already know I'm not going to be very comfortable if trying to sleep on a flight, which is why I book a window seat that allows me to at least lean to the side. I have been in a seat where the person in front of me reclined, which affected how I was able to use my seat area pretty considerably. So at that point, it becomes who's comfort is more important, and that's usually not going to be a good outcome.

I do not recline my seat.

My travels put me in both first class and in the back. Even in first class reclining makes it uncomfortable for the person behind you unless you have one of those pod seating areas.

Reclining is even worse when meals are served. Do you eat at your dining room table or in a restaurant in a seat that reclines? Why would you do so on an airplane. The person behind you may find it difficult to eat with their tray table crunched up against them.

I have great empathy for the person sitting behind me. I would hope all travelers would feel that way. Just because the uncaring airline puts in those awful seats does not mean we should take advantage of that situation.

I've only had meals on overseas flights the past few years, but each time as the meals were being served, the flight attendant did tell the reclining passengers to put the seat into an upright position. I did appreciate that.

I'm one who will recline a tad, never the whole way unless it's an overnight flight and pretty much the whole plane has reclined.

I usually book airfare in Comfort Plus because I always recline my seat (all 2" of it). It's not like I'm laying the lap of the person behind me. I take Xanax to fly, which makes me drowsy. I recline in order to sleep. Without reclining, I would fall forward when asleep. Hopefully, with the extra leg room, the person behind me is not annoyed, but if they are, I really don't care. As long as the option to recline exists, I will use it as I need it. Complain to the airlines if you don't like reclining seats. They're the ones that make it possible.

I NEVER recline my seat because I know the space is tight and it will be uncomfortable for the person sitting behind me. Just because I can, doesn’t mean I should.

THIS ^

I find it very interesting how Passenger A moving their chair into the very personal space of Passenger B, usually gaining more space for Passenger A is somehow considered a "get over it" for Passenger B. Passenger B should not have to forfeit their space. It is long time the airlines address this since they are the ones who eliminated the buffer space to begin with. OR maybe they should make the left half the plane reclining seats and right hand side stationary. Bigger planes, make all the middle section reclining and the sides with window views stationary. The passengers who want reclining can purchase them (upgrade fee of course for the maintenance) and those who wish to maintain personal space books a non-moving seat.

I recline if my neck starts hurting. That's what the seats are designed to do. I've never been on a plane where the seat reclines so much that my head is in someone's lap.

I don’t usually recline if I’m not flying first or business unless the seat in front of me reclines. And that’s usually to try and reclaim a bit of my space and then it’s not something I do every time. It depends on the model and the spacing of the seating. Some I can easily still do stuff with the front seat recliner. Others, it’s me recline or I have to work from my laptop.

I find it very interesting how Passenger A moving their chair into the very personal space of Passenger B, usually gaining more space for Passenger A is somehow considered a "get over it" for Passenger B.
Didn't Passenger A PAY for that "extra" space (no matter how minuscule)? If the airlines allow the seats to recline then the person sitting in the seat has the right to recline them. Period, end of story.

Didn't Passenger A PAY for that "extra" space (no matter how minuscule)? If the airlines allow the seats to recline then the person sitting in the seat has the right to recline them. Period, end of story.

Didn't Passenger B PAY for the space that Passenger A is now in? Again, it's just a matter of who's comfort is deemed more important. Anyone who reclines is admitting their comfort is more important the person behind them, which is fine, look out for #1, but at least accept that's what you're saying when you do it.

I really hate that airline seating space has gotten so much tighter over the years, but ultimately I feel that if the seats have the ability to recline, then people should be able to do so.

I usually DON’T recline. I never do during a meal service. However, on a long flight of more than 3 or 4 hours, just like on a long car ride, I am prone to pain and discomfort from an old neck injury, and there are times when a slight recline helps alleviate that. In that situation, I would slowly move the seat back a few inches, while trying to be respectful of the passenger behind me.

FWIW, some planes on some airlines have seats with headrests that are designed with what I’d call wings on both sides that fold inward to allow for more head support. It’s a feature that some people aren’t even aware of, but I always utilize if available. Makes it much more comfortable for me, even for sleeping, without having to recline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter