To split stay...or not to split stay...?

BCV and BWV are amazing and the pool may be a little intense for little kids but fun. I just cannot help think the little kids would like MK more than epcot. BC has the strength of location but the location does not work in small kids favor as much. So going against my favorite, consider MK resorts and you can split so you get the best of both worlds and can enjoy fireworks at both. It is the perfect split stay especially if you can do 5 and 6 nights or something like that.

With this being your first trip I would just stay at 1 resort to get used to the lay of the land and the process of making ADRs and purchasing Genie + and the lightening lanes and $ILL.

Lots of older threads on staying in multiple places, some like it while others don't. I prefer to unpack ONCE at the start of the vacation and then only repack the night before we leave for home. The issue with small children can make things more complicated since they aren't going to be able to go nonstop at the parks which at Disney are HUGE. Having a place to nap or relax is essential when doing all of that walking.

Before we became DVC members, we did split stays quite a bit to save money - usually between a deluxe and a moderate resort. We still do it occasionally to check out new DVC properties.

I agree that splitting between the MK and Epcot, especially for your length of trip, sounds like fun. However, it will be a busy time when you’re visiting and there’s a good chance your room will not be available as early as you would wish. With adults or older kids that is not usually an issue, but could possibly be with those young enough to need naps (some children can sleep anywhere; I wouldn’t know anything about that! ;)). And yes, ADRs would possibly be more challenging, but we‘ve usually had no issues. My personal favorite MK resort is the WL, but of course it is not on the monorail and is a tad less convenient for the MK (but the resort more than makes up for that IMO).

Good luck with your decision. You are already staying in an incredibly convenient location. Either way, have a wonderful trip!

Before we became DVC members, we did split stays quite a bit to save money - usually between a deluxe and a moderate resort. We still do it occasionally to check out new DVC properties.

I agree that splitting between the MK and Epcot, especially for your length of trip, sounds like fun. However, it will be a busy time when you’re visiting and there’s a good chance your room will not be available as early as you would wish. With adults or older kids that is not usually an issue, but could possibly be with those young enough to need naps (some children can sleep anywhere; I wouldn’t know anything about that! ;)). And yes, ADRs would possibly be more challenging, but we‘ve usually had no issues. My personal favorite MK resort is the WL, but of course it is not on the monorail and is a tad less convenient for the MK (but the resort more than makes up for that IMO).

Good luck with your decision. You are already staying in an incredibly convenient location. Either way, have a wonderful trip!
WL looks incredible and we’ve actually discussed doing a BR 1br but the one and only thing keeping us from doing it for this trip is the inability to walk to at least one park. We love (and I know it’s an entirely different thing after spending hours at a park haha) the flexibility that comes with walking, especially since our youngest will still be napping. That was one of the amazing aspects of our trip to DL this past November/December, one of us being able to leave the park to walk back to the resort for his nap time while the other stayed at the parks with his big brother.

And I just want to say thanks again for all of the responses!

We did a triple split in Nov/Dec. BR, Riv, VGF. No issues with the splits and both rooms almost immediately ready. Being kind at the front desk makes a difference, at least I think. We enjoyed being MK for some and EP for others. Go for it!!

We did a triple split in Nov/Dec. BR, Riv, VGF. No issues with the splits and both rooms almost immediately ready. Being kind at the front desk makes a difference, at least I think. We enjoyed being MK for some and EP for others. Go for it!!
That sounds like an amazing trip! If you don’t mind me asking, how long was your stay and which of the resorts was your favorite of the three?

Ten nights - 2, 3 and 5. We got Covid so VGF ended up being the sick spot lol. VGF was nicest room (1 br), but a million miles from everything. BR was quiet, but small (1 br), but I like having monorail, walkability, or skyliner. I think the Rivieria wins. Beautiful room, super close to Skyliner, great service.

Ten nights - 2, 3 and 5. We got Covid so VGF ended up being the sick spot lol. VGF was nicest room (1 br), but a million miles from everything. BR was quiet, but small (1 br), but I like having monorail, walkability, or skyliner. I think the Rivieria wins. Beautiful room, super close to Skyliner, great service.
Oh no, so sorry to hear that!

The Riviera does look beautiful. We'll definitely take some time to check out the resort, hopefully with a topolino's breakfast!

No issues with the splits and both rooms almost immediately ready. Being kind at the front desk makes a difference, at least I think.
I’m not sure if it’s good luck or intentional but our second resort always ends up with room available by 2pm (A few times before 11am). It’s possibly they take into consideration. Not that it definitely gets room early, but they know you’re already onsite and room ready alleviates potential guest issues.

Others have speculated that it seems like the resorts see when you get into the area, like how early room ready texts only come after entering Orlando. I don’t know. Maybe.

The front desk is good advice. We’ve gotten good results. Be nice :) and let them know top priority is asap (unless room request is too important to give up). Only one time that did not help us get into a room shortly after, and that was the busy week Rise of the Resistance opened.

We went to AK for the day of the transfer and it was a perfect transition.
We’ve always done this too. Last trip was the first time we decided not going to a park might feel less hectic. Being mid-trip seemed a good fit for a light day to rest up. It was a bit of a risk not knowing when room will be ready.

We planned ways to occupy 11am-4pm (with a meal, exploring resorts, skyliner or monorail ride, etc). Ended up not needed. We slept in, took our time getting ready and packing up. Housekeeping had been quiet on our floor since 9:30am. At 11am still no activity so we hung back in our room for another 30 minutes. By the time we made it over to second resort we already received our room number text. It was a nice change to not feel hurried packing that morning and I loved being unpacked and settled by 3pm.

I might do this for now on. We’re getting older and not exhausting ourselves is getting more important at WDW lol. Plus we never seemed to get enough time enjoying our resorts. This helps give us more of a chance.

Love is GOOD. I love you too eksmama01!!!
…. Wait… this is a Disney board of Disney fans. We basically hate everything because everything was better in the Olden Days and can only be perfection now if The Mouse listened to Me and only Me. Keep that sunshine nonsense out of here!

My family has done several splits, now we only do two splits over a 12 day period - we've done triple splits before and while it's fun to have the new scenery, it's just way too much work to pack up and transfer. I don't recall having the room available to us before 3pm any given day for a transfer but we plan accordingly. We leave the first resort right before checkout time and usually go to a water park or do mini-golf/DS to waste a few hours. Occasionally we take a backpack of swim clothes so we can go do something and then go to the destination resort and swim until our room is ready. It's never been past 4pm on a transfer.

Splitting time between the areas is the best way to go - Beach Club and BLT is about the best swing.... too bad BLT is so expensive. Definitely keep some time at Beach Club - your kids will appreciate the sandy pool. The splash pad at Polynesian is top notch for that age as well.

Just want to say thank you again for everyone's responses! I really, really appreciate the feedback and hearing about your own experiences!

Split stays with young children is so much work! so much goes into packing before you even get there then you have to pack and unpack wait for your room to be ready etc. I would just stay put even your aDR dining will be annoying. Beach Club Villas is such an excellent spot. so close to epcot and a boat or sky liner over to hs. so many things to do within walking distance. I would not go near the grand or poly right now so much construction. When you have little kids like that it takes so much time to adjust if you do a split stay I find it so disruptive with little kids 11 days is alot of stimulation I would just stay put in one resort. are you in a studio at BCV or a one bedroom if it a one bedroom I def would stay put. Honestly I do not think it matters what resort you stay at there are pros and cons to all of them but a split stay with young kids is a hard no for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter