To split stay...or not to split stay...?

Thanks for the responses everyone! We are in the process of determining our new dates due to work conflicts, so we'll now be traveling for 9 or 10 nights sometime between mid-October to mid-November (up to the week before Thanksgiving as we don't plan to be in DW the week of Thanksgiving). And it's been decided we'll be sticking to one resort this time. We're deciding between GF, Poly and BC. Thanks again for taking the time to provide such helpful responses!

Split stays are so easy in WDW…. For the right party. On my last solo trip I stayed 1-2 nights per resort and loved it. Small bag dropped for transfer as I left the resort in the morning, and waiting for me by 4pm at the next resort (I know it can be later). Just matched the resort to the park I went to that day and had the best of all locations - and never had the hassle of not having my room cleaned lol

With online check in and check out and a magic band, never went to a front desk once, pretty seamless.

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so pardon if there is some duplication here. I think your plan (EP/MK) sounds like so much fun! We (DH, DS, DDIL, and 2 grandsons now 6 and 9) have been doing 10 or 11 day split stays (with a side trip to Universal) for at least our last 3 or 4 trips and we only get to go every 2 or 3 years so I think we started before the younger boy was even born, but we love it.

I pack knowing we will be moving and I never unpack things I wont be using till our 2nd resort, so packing to move mostly involves throwing dirty clothes in a bag and takes no time. We check our luggage in in the morning to be moved and head to our first park usually right at opening, and later return to our new room. Being able to check in on the app means we don't have to go to our new resort until our room is ready.

The heaviest burden falls on DDIL, who does most of the packing for the boys- but she is a great traveler so all goes smoothly. The boys have had a stroller, so DDIL might bring a few extra things they might need before we have a room, and the boys are good to go. They can even nap in the stroller and have.

(Our splits have been at AKV and BCV - the boys LOVE seeing all the animals right outside their balcony and outside the windows as we walk down the hall - and I LOVE having my morning coffee with the giraffes right outside - but I have often thought that while they are young and love MK so much it would be fun to stay at the Poly once - even though the building and remodel have taken away some of the charm. Is the construction finished? (I feel like GF might be too stuffy for our exuberant boys.)

On our final check-out day, we love to spend what time we have at Storm-Along Bay - BEST hotel pool ever! - so we always start at AKV and end at BCV, though since I expect your boys will love being near MK more than Epcot I might do MK 2nd. The sand bottom pool is so perfect for little ones.

We were afraid with the split stay we might not get all the ADRs we wanted, but DDIL kept at it in the wee hours of the morning and got everything - even the hippo experience at AK this last trip.

Whatever you do, I know you will have so much fun! You get to see the park though your boys' eyes, which is a whole new kind of wonderful (which we are now getting to experience with my grandsons).

I see now you have decided not to split. Even though it takes a while to get to MK, if I were picking just one resort, I would pick BC, which was the first resort I fell I love with.

Not only does it have the best pool ever (our boys could spend hours playing in the sand at the zero entry section) and a miniature golf course within walking distance (as long as your boys have a stroller) if you want some time away frim the parks, but you can walk to 2 of the parks (again, as long as the boys have a stroller, because the walk to DHS would be a bit long for them) if you like to avoid having to take transportation, which we do (lol though now my family makes me start first since at 75 I'm getting slow!).

If the Poly was still just the low profile buildings and if they still had the luau area I might be torn, but I personally don't find it as charming as it once was. Of course, as you can see from my name, gardenrooms, I loved the original 2-story buildings at the DLR, so I am partial.

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so pardon if there is some duplication here. I think your plan (EP/MK) sounds like so much fun! We (DH, DS, DDIL, and 2 grandsons now 6 and 9) have been doing 10 or 11 day split stays (with a side trip to Universal) for at least our last 3 or 4 trips and we only get to go every 2 or 3 years so I think we started before the younger boy was even born, but we love it.

I pack knowing we will be moving and I never unpack things I wont be using till our 2nd resort, so packing to move mostly involves throwing dirty clothes in a bag and takes no time. We check our luggage in in the morning to be moved and head to our first park usually right at opening, and later return to our new room. Being able to check in on the app means we don't have to go to our new resort until our room is ready.

The heaviest burden falls on DDIL, who does most of the packing for the boys- but she is a great traveler so all goes smoothly. The boys have had a stroller, so DDIL might bring a few extra things they might need before we have a room, and the boys are good to go. They can even nap in the stroller and have.

(Our splits have been at AKV and BCV - the boys LOVE seeing all the animals right outside their balcony and outside the windows as we walk down the hall - and I LOVE having my morning coffee with the giraffes right outside - but I have often thought that while they are young and love MK so much it would be fun to stay at the Poly once - even though the building and remodel have taken away some of the charm. Is the construction finished? (I feel like GF might be too stuffy for our exuberant boys.)

On our final check-out day, we love to spend what time we have at Storm-Along Bay - BEST hotel pool ever! - so we always start at AKV and end at BCV, though since I expect your boys will love being near MK more than Epcot I might do MK 2nd. The sand bottom pool is so perfect for little ones.

We were afraid with the split stay we might not get all the ADRs we wanted, but DDIL kept at it in the wee hours of the morning and got everything - even the hippo experience at AK this last trip.

Whatever you do, I know you will have so much fun! You get to see the park though your boys' eyes, which is a whole new kind of wonderful (which we are now getting to experience with my grandsons)
The AKV/BCV split sounds amazing! Such a good problem to have, but there are so many wonderful options haha. As of right now, we are booked for the entire stay at GF but given the amount of time before our trip (mid-November), I'm sure I'll throw several other options out there for consideration haha. Thanks for taking the time to respond and it sounds like you and your family have had some amazing experiences at DW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter