Tokyo Disney Resort Food

I've really enjoyed this thread - thank you! :worship:

DH would really like to visit Japan (including TDL/TDS of course) in the future but food options are always a worry for me. I am a picky eater :sad2: but your thread has shown me that I will not go hungry - even if I do just live on churros, ice-cream and popcorn for a week or two! :laughing:

I must say that the packaging and presentation of all types of food-stuff is outstanding - very cute indeed! :cutie:

Ohh you just got me thinking about those popcorn buckets! I remembered on out last trip there they were flying open during rides. So each time you'd get on a ride a CM would offer you tape to tape down the lid. I don't think I'd seen it happening but I noticed that when we first got on the rides no CMs were there with tape and then towards the end of the day they were there offering tape. I don't know what would have happened if you said no.

:P

Ohh I loved the food at TDL in the Red Queen's banquet or something like that. I have to say it was the most expensive meal I've ever eaten there.

Ohh you just got me thinking about those popcorn buckets! I remembered on out last trip there they were flying open during rides. So each time you'd get on a ride a CM would offer you tape to tape down the lid. I don't think I'd seen it happening but I noticed that when we first got on the rides no CMs were there with tape and then towards the end of the day they were there offering tape. I don't know what would have happened if you said no.

:P

Ohh I loved the food at TDL in the Red Queen's banquet or something like that. I have to say it was the most expensive meal I've ever eaten there.

I don't remember seeing anyone with tape while we were there, but I only carried around my bucket for the one day that we actually bought it, and it was usually empty because as soon as we got the popcorn in it, we devoured it! The other days, I had camera equipment and that was enough to carry around for me!

Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall at TDL seemed to be mid-range as far as prices go. We spent more when we ate at Restaurant Sakura in TDS. I know some of the other restaurants are more expensive, too, like Magellan's at TDS and maybe even Blue Bayou at TDL.

this thread is awesome. thanks!

tokyo disneyland has some interesting food but i loved the flavored popcorns - definitely try the shoyu/soy sauce butter flavor. that was my favorite when i went.

Honey vanilla ice cream in a souvenir Winnie The Pooh ceramic pot - from a cart near the Western River Railroad in Adventureland (they give you a plastic bag to put the souvenir pot in...go to any gift shop and they will bubble wrap it for you for free) - the ice cream was wonderful!
ry%3D400

WOW... that's the coolest thing. Almost worth the trip alone.
My son would LOVE that...

In US dollars, what would someone expect to spend per day on food at TDR? TIA

Sea Salt Ice Cream in a plastic souvenir case and Tiramisu Ice Cream Sandwich from a cart in Port Discovery near Aquatopia - both of these were absolutely delicious. The sea salt ice cream was like vanilla with just a touch of sea salt, don't be afraid to eat it, it's wonderful! So was the sandwich.
ry%3D400

I have that little sea salt ice cream souvenir bowl... I keep my Splenda packets in it :)

In US dollars, what would someone expect to spend per day on food at TDR? TIA

It really varies depending on how much you eat, what type of food you eat, and what type of dining you want to do. There are so many options, from cheaper snack food all the way up to fine dining. Here are a variety of examples of prices:

Regular box of popcorn: $3.50

Large serving of popcorn with souvenir bucket: $13.50

Mousse in a souvenir cup: $5.50

Soda or coffee or iced coffee or iced tea: $2.50-3.25

Dessert crepe at Cafe Orleans (TDL): $5.00

Mickey waffle at the Great American Waffle Co. (TDL): $4.50

Main course (entree) at Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall (TDL): $11.00-16.00

Main course (entree) at Blue Bayou (TDL): $17.00-30.00

Pork Tortilla Sandwich w/ Sweet Miso Sauce at Boiler Room Bites (TDL): $5.50

Lunch set (slice of pizza, soda, & mini cream puffs) at Captain's Hook Galley (TDL): $9.50

Smoked chicken w/ Mexican Rice & Vegetables at Yucatan Base Camp Grill (TDS): $8.00

Grilled Reuben Sandwich at New York Deli (TDS): $8.50

Main course (entree) at Vulcania (TDS): $9.00-14.00

Sailing Day Buffet-all you can eat (TDS): $31.00 adults, $19.00 kids 7-12, $11.25 kids 4-6

Mickey Mouse Orange Bar or Minnie Mouse Apple Bar (popsicle): $3.00

Hope this gives you a good idea of pricing. Also, the menus and prices are posted outside of each restaurant, so you can decide before you go in. Just be aware that servings are generally smaller than they are in the U.S., although we found that the servings we got for meals (sit-down meals, buffeteria meals, etc.), were actually quite sufficient for us - we were satisfied, but not stuffed. The snacks and sodas are on the smaller side, but we just used that as an opportunity to try a variety of foods without getting stuffed!

Thanks so much for posting the photos. I enjoyed looking at them. I've always wanted to visit Japan, but not too sure if I'd be interested in TDL... I used to want to visit all the parks, but after reading some reviews, it doesn't sound like something I'd make a point to do. Not that I read anything negative, but it doesn't seem as Disney-magical, I guess.

The salmon pizza looked especially delish and now I want tempura!

Thanks so much for posting the photos. I enjoyed looking at them. I've always wanted to visit Japan, but not too sure if I'd be interested in TDL... I used to want to visit all the parks, but after reading some reviews, it doesn't sound like something I'd make a point to do. Not that I read anything negative, but it doesn't seem as Disney-magical, I guess.

The salmon pizza looked especially delish and now I want tempura!

Well um, TDL and TDS are the cleanest parks (fresh paint and trash removal is an obsession there), with IMO the best trained and some of the friendliest staff, the rides are the best at ANY Disney park, and are always well maintained, the effects, etc. are always working.

They have some attractions you can't find anywhere else like Pooh's Hunny Hunt and the new Monsters Inc. ride. Oh and TDS is IMO THE crown jewel of theme park design anywhere. The hotels are immaculate as well.

So, what's not to like?

Well um, TDL and TDS are the cleanest parks (fresh paint and trash removal is an obsession there), with IMO the best trained and some of the friendliest staff, the rides are the best at ANY Disney park, and are always well maintained, the effects, etc. are always working.

They have some attractions you can't find anywhere else like Pooh's Hunny Hunt and the new Monsters Inc. ride. Oh and TDS is IMO THE crown jewel of theme park design anywhere. The hotels are immaculate as well.

So, what's not to like?

Agreed. My husband and I found TDL and TDS to be the most Disney-magical parks in the world! (Although we haven't been to Hong Kong yet...the least magical would be Disneyland Paris, IMHO). Disneyland is cool because it has Walt's personal touch on it and you can really feel him there. We go to WDW all the time (APs) and we feel it's lost some of its magic due to poor maintenance and sanitation (stinky bathrooms, leaky toilets, garbage on the ground) not to mention the lower staffing levels and other cutbacks. Tokyo does not suffer from any of those issues and it makes being there such an immersive, spectacular experience.

The Tokyo parks are what I believe Walt Disney was striving for as far as entertainment for the whole family, cleanliness, safety, etc. I am certain Walt would have been proud of what they are doing there.

My husband and I, despite me being laid off and the fact that we're expecting our first child any day now, are saving every penny we can to get back to TDR and experience it yet again. We can't wait to share it with our child(ren), hopefully over and over again. It was a life-altering experience to be there (I bawled like a baby when I walked into each park, they are so beautiful) and we can't wait to get back and feel that magic again.

Agreed. My husband and I found TDL and TDS to be the most Disney-magical parks in the world! (Although we haven't been to Hong Kong yet...the least magical would be Disneyland Paris, IMHO). Disneyland is cool because it has Walt's personal touch on it and you can really feel him there. We go to WDW all the time (APs) and we feel it's lost some of its magic due to poor maintenance and sanitation (stinky bathrooms, leaky toilets, garbage on the ground) not to mention the lower staffing levels and other cutbacks. Tokyo does not suffer from any of those issues and it makes being there such an immersive, spectacular experience.

The Tokyo parks are what I believe Walt Disney was striving for as far as entertainment for the whole family, cleanliness, safety, etc. I am certain Walt would have been proud of what they are doing there.

My husband and I, despite me being laid off and the fact that we're expecting our first child any day now, are saving every penny we can to get back to TDR and experience it yet again. We can't wait to share it with our child(ren), hopefully over and over again. It was a life-altering experience to be there (I bawled like a baby when I walked into each park, they are so beautiful) and we can't wait to get back and feel that magic again.

:thumbsup2

I do agree on most points but the magic is in what the (mainly American) Imangineers have done and this alone. The rides are stunning and beautiful and the theming is simply breathtaking.

However...I don't think it is the most magical staff wise at all. It would be a perfect park but for the Japanese.
I found the staff simply over the top with their rules etc. and their lack of English. If you dare to ask them something they hand you a piece of paper or simply ignore you. Even the "tagged" English speaking staff members barely spoke english.
Now while I understand it is Japan and I didn't go in EXPECTING everyone to speak english (especially as 95% of the visitors are Japanese)...you do wonder why so many don't given that walking through Tokyo city almost all the Japanese I encountered knew at least a little bit and were 10 times more helpful.

Now after going to WDW in December I do say I MISS some of their rules (after waiting - standing still - for 15mins to get across the bridge to Frontierland after Wishes because there were NO CMs to be seen for miles.)
BUT...I still think it is over the top. Especially the double standard they applied to us "foreigners" because they "didn't understand" when we told them there were 4 in our party on entering a line and that 2 were going to the bathroom and getting food such that when the other 2 came back they were most upset even though the people in front of us had 4 more show up with nothing said.

As for Paris...it would be a pretty good park but for the European visitors who smoke anywhere and everywhere with no enforcement by the CMs.
The castle is the most beautiful of all and Crushes coaster I think is the best ride anywhere. Only Pooh's hunny hunt comes probably on par.

As for FOOD...you must have spent a small fortune. The yen was at an all time low in Feb 09 and everything was incredibly expensive.
600yen for a very small dessert. We were paying enough for accommodation let alone food.
We mainly ate snack stuff from the supermarket in Ikspiari or the small market in the TDLH and then had dinner at either Kua Aina in the Ikspiari shopping area or Planet Hollywood. One night we went to the Cape Cod counter Service and had small hamburgers and clam chowder.
It is a great place to go on a diet.

I'm looooving this thread - thank you to everyone who's contributed, it's so informative. We are currently planning our trip to Japan in May 2011 and finishing with 2 or 3 days in Disney before home. Really love those souvineer containers - I'm going to be having quite a few of those as they are so sweet.
I'm a vegetarian so thinking the rest of Japan might not be so accomodating as Disney?

I'm looooving this thread - thank you to everyone who's contributed, it's so informative. We are currently planning our trip to Japan in May 2011 and finishing with 2 or 3 days in Disney before home. Really love those souvineer containers - I'm going to be having quite a few of those as they are so sweet.
I'm a vegetarian so thinking the rest of Japan might not be so accomodating as Disney?

Well besides fish, much of what japanese eat are noodles, in various kinds and obviously rice. I don't think you'll have too much trouble, there's also a LOT of western restaurants there in the cities.

Well besides fish, much of what japanese eat are noodles, in various kinds and obviously rice. I don't think you'll have too much trouble, there's also a LOT of western restaurants there in the cities.

I've read guide books that say the noodles are cooked in fish or meat stock tho' so that's probably gonna rule those out. I'm a very strict vegetarian of 30 years. In China, I mainly had boiled rice, sometimes with soy sauce so I'll get by I guess. We'll definately be checking out HRC as this is our tradition wherever we go:) and I could do with losing weight

I do agree on most points but the magic is in what the (mainly American) Imangineers have done and this alone. The rides are stunning and beautiful and the theming is simply breathtaking.

However...I don't think it is the most magical staff wise at all. It would be a perfect park but for the Japanese.
I found the staff simply over the top with their rules etc. and their lack of English. If you dare to ask them something they hand you a piece of paper or simply ignore you. Even the "tagged" English speaking staff members barely spoke english.
Now while I understand it is Japan and I didn't go in EXPECTING everyone to speak english (especially as 95% of the visitors are Japanese)...you do wonder why so many don't given that walking through Tokyo city almost all the Japanese I encountered knew at least a little bit and were 10 times more helpful.

We actually had the opposite experience at TDR. We loved all the rules because it really made everything very fair and orderly. Lines moved quickly, we didn't get jostled around, we had awesome views for the parades, etc. Also, we found the cast members to be extremely helpful. We were never ignored. Even if they couldn't speak English, they went out of their way to answer any question, solve any problem.

As for FOOD...you must have spent a small fortune. The yen was at an all time low in Feb 09 and everything was incredibly expensive.
600yen for a very small dessert. We were paying enough for accommodation let alone food.
We mainly ate snack stuff from the supermarket in Ikspiari or the small market in the TDLH and then had dinner at either Kua Aina in the Ikspiari shopping area or Planet Hollywood. One night we went to the Cape Cod counter Service and had small hamburgers and clam chowder.
It is a great place to go on a diet.

We are extremely frugal people and we felt we didn't spend THAT much on food. We budgeted very carefully for our trip and decided that we would spend a little more while at TDR, and less while in Tokyo, Himeji and Kyoto. Outside of TDR, many of our meals were from the 7-11 and small noodle shops. That allowed us to enjoy trying the snacks at TDR (which for the most part, we bought one of and shared, which kept costs down). We felt that a good number of the food items were comparatively priced to other Disney parks, but of course, that varies somewhat with the exchange rate.
Just like other Disney resorts, I think you can be as frugal or as fancy as you want with your food...and of course, eat even cheaper outside the park, too, if need be.

I've read guide books that say the noodles are cooked in fish or meat stock tho' so that's probably gonna rule those out. I'm a very strict vegetarian of 30 years. In China, I mainly had boiled rice, sometimes with soy sauce so I'll get by I guess. We'll definately be checking out HRC as this is our tradition wherever we go:) and I could do with losing weight

I would suggest visiting the forums at Fodors.com and posing your question about eating vegetarian in Japan to some of the frequent travelers there...when I was researching for our trip, I remember seeing some posts that other vegetarians had written and there were some wonderful tips about what foods were "safe" to eat, what restaurants were vegetarian friendly, and also how to request that certain things be prepared a certain way.

Good luck and have fun!

I would suggest visiting the forums at Fodors.com and posing your question about eating vegetarian in Japan to some of the frequent travelers there...when I was researching for our trip, I remember seeing some posts that other vegetarians had written and there were some wonderful tips about what foods were "safe" to eat, what restaurants were vegetarian friendly, and also how to request that certain things be prepared a certain way.

Good luck and have fun!

Thank you soooo much - off to take a look now:)

We actually had the opposite experience at TDR. We loved all the rules because it really made everything very fair and orderly. Lines moved quickly, we didn't get jostled around, we had awesome views for the parades, etc. Also, we found the cast members to be extremely helpful. We were never ignored. Even if they couldn't speak English, they went out of their way to answer any question, solve any problem.

We are extremely frugal people and we felt we didn't spend THAT much on food. We budgeted very carefully for our trip and decided that we would spend a little more while at TDR, and less while in Tokyo, Himeji and Kyoto. Outside of TDR, many of our meals were from the 7-11 and small noodle shops. That allowed us to enjoy trying the snacks at TDR (which for the most part, we bought one of and shared, which kept costs down). We felt that a good number of the food items were comparatively priced to other Disney parks, but of course, that varies somewhat with the exchange rate.
Just like other Disney resorts, I think you can be as frugal or as fancy as you want with your food...and of course, eat even cheaper outside the park, too, if need be.

Oh I so agree. TDR is SOOOO much more Disney than the other parks and the Japanese couldn't be more Disney! Your food photos and stories are fantastic. Although it might be a little pricier, the food here is a much better value and much better tasting than regular park food. Our favorites are the coconut popcorn, seafood pizza and ebi (shrimp) burgers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter