Tokyo Disney Resort Food

I do agree on most points but the magic is in what the (mainly American) Imangineers have done and this alone. The rides are stunning and beautiful and the theming is simply breathtaking.

However...I don't think it is the most magical staff wise at all. It would be a perfect park but for the Japanese.
I found the staff simply over the top with their rules etc. and their lack of English. If you dare to ask them something they hand you a piece of paper or simply ignore you. Even the "tagged" English speaking staff members barely spoke english.

Chiming in late, but I agree with this. I have family in Tokyo, and visit once in a while and every couple of years or so, I get to go to TDL/TDS. I agree that it is absolutely the best maintained park out of the ones I have seen (WDW, DL), but the Japanese have not mastered the magic factor. Don't get me wrong, their customer service is great, but it is sooo by-the-book, and can be very robotic and unthinking when you have a situation that is not so textbook. I have been in situations where a CM just repeats her handbook response to me over and over again, but she's not answering my question (and I speak Japanese).

I have been to WDW several times and have witnessed some AWESOME CM-guest interactions that I can't imagine happening at TDR. There is a lot more inclusion at the US parks, regarding disabled people and older park-goers. I LOVE TDR (in fact, am trying to plan my next trip in Sept), but everytime I go, as much as I love it, I always feel a little empty because the Disney vibe is a little different.

Just my observations over the years.

I have one photo from my trip to TD this past Nov. This was an ebi (shrimp) sandwich. It was delicious and cost about $10 for the whole tray. We ate mostly at cafes and counter service places. We liked the cafe on the ship.

DSC_0138-vi.jpg

My only difficulty in Tokyo Disneyland was that it seemed that there was only one place in the park to get any menu item. For example, if your family wanted hot dogs, hamburgers, fried chicken and pizza, you would have to visit four different restaurants.

My favorite snack was a Mickey waffle with Green Tea Mouse, Sweet Red Beans and Brown Sugar Syrup.
PhotoHandler.ashx

Yyyuuuummmm!!! The food looks so good and interesting! I'll be going at least once, since starting this November my sister and brother-in-law will be stationed in Japan for three years. It's so nice to know that TDL has it's own special snacks. And I love all of the souvineer containeres they come in, too.

My family absolutely love Tokyo Disney. We were stationed in Northern Japan and would go down to Disney every year. One year we even took the Bullet train down. We would stay at the New Sanno and take the train out to the Parks. My children loved the adventure of getting there and just enjoying the Disney magic. Our favorite food item was of course the Sea Salt ice cream. My daughter's ultimate favorite Disney ride is Journey to the Center of the Earth at DisneySea. It's an awesome park.

Thanks lasob and GrtWtNorth for posting photos. If anyone else has any, please add to this thread. Although I started it, it's really for everyone to post their photos and info.

What I love the most about the food at TDR is that you often times get souvenirs. For example, during the Easter Wonderland, you get buy a meal that came with a lunch box. It was quite adorable.:thumbsup2

What are some more of these "rules," you must follow at the parks? I don't want to get in trouble or be embarrassed. Many thanks!

What are some more of these "rules," you must follow at the parks? I don't want to get in trouble or be embarrassed. Many thanks!

I'm not sure if this is a "rule" or just a cultural oddity, but I've read that people in Japan do not walk and eat food (or drink??). They will only eat food when sitting down or standing, etc.

So that's the only advice I have.

Maybe someone more experienced in Japan can add some more info on that :)

I'm not sure if this is a "rule" or just a cultural oddity, but I've read that people in Japan do not walk and eat food (or drink??). They will only eat food when sitting down or standing, etc.

So that's the only advice I have.

Maybe someone more experienced in Japan can add some more info on that :)

This is very true, even at TDL. It's not a rule, but it's very socially unacceptable and very rude to eat while walking. You'll see a ton of people walking around with popcorn buckets around their necks, but you'll rarely see anyone eating from them.

In the city, you'll see people sitting on milk crates or little stools outside of a crepe window rather than walking away with their crepe.

Drinking seems to be a little more socially acceptable, but it's still frowned upon.

Oddly enough, public intoxication is more acceptable than eating while walking - go figure!

As for other park "rules," your are ALLOWED to run in TDL, and I highly suggest you do so. At park opening, we ran from the gate to the Monster's Inc. Fast Pass line. Even then, our fastpass was for a time slot after noon if I remember correctly.

Also, bumping into other people, especially in line, is common and somewhat acceptable.

If for some reason you find yourself on an escalator in TDL, stay to the left if you are not walking up the escalator. It's very rude to clog the "express" ride side of the escalator.

Finally, don't give up your "regular" seat on the monorail to anyone but a pregnant woman or (maybe) a sleeping child. Seniors and handicap people may get insulted. Giving up your seat says, "I think you are weak, inferior, etc." There are designated seats for handicapped/elderly people.

Oh, and one more thing, if you make a request and the cast member hesitates, there are two reasons:

1. He/she doesn't speak English
2. He/she doesn't want to say "no." It's very, very hard for a Japanese person to give you a direct "no." They'll talk around the subject, change the subject, or just smile.

If this happens, give up and find someone else.

I agree with corgi monster on all but one.
Yeah, in a way, japanese are wierd. They are super polite, but bumping into others are not considered rude. It's probably they are used to the big crowds and bumping into others is not avoidable. Everytime I go back home, I can't get used to this (being in the U.S. too long.)

Finally, don't give up your "regular" seat on the monorail to anyone but a pregnant woman or (maybe) a sleeping child. Seniors and handicap people may get insulted. Giving up your seat says, "I think you are weak, inferior, etc." There are designated seats for handicapped/elderly people.

Really? I've never seen anyone who gets upset or insulted by being offered for a regular seat (unless they look old but really not)... Is this a Tokyo (or Chiba) thing? Or have I been out of country that long? :confused3

We had a wonderful meal at Magellans - it was our most expensive at about Y9000 per head - but it was in Oct during the TDS Food Festival and we had the special menu. Excellent!
The Oceano breakfast buffet at MiraCosta was expensive with MILES of choices - Asian and Western Y2600
What I really enjoyed was Little Green Men dessert from Tomorrow Land Terrace. 3 Little dumplings with green wrappers and inside was custard - choc, strawb or vanilla - YUMMO:banana:

Thanks so much for posting this, it`s quite helpful as I`m planning my trip to disney tokyo!

I`ll be sure to contribute after the trip.. and I definitly and going to try one of those vanilla honey ice creams.. just to get the adorible container!

I agree with corgi monster on all but one.
Yeah, in a way, japanese are wierd. They are super polite, but bumping into others are not considered rude. It's probably they are used to the big crowds and bumping into others is not avoidable. Everytime I go back home, I can't get used to this (being in the U.S. too long.)

Really? I've never seen anyone who gets upset or insulted by being offered for a regular seat (unless they look old but really not)... Is this a Tokyo (or Chiba) thing? Or have I been out of country that long? :confused3

Same here. I find it (sadly) very uncommon for people to give up a seat to an elderly person both here in the US and in Japan. But I always offer mine, and the reaction in either country is always the same: gratitude.

My sister told me that Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea have halloween exclusive menu with souvenir cups/plates. Pumpkin mickey popcorn buckets & Halloween Duffy the Disney Bear popcorn bucket are also available since the beginning of september.

thanks for the post..
I posted this elsewhere but what are my birthday options at any of the restaurants. Where can a person see menus and pricing for the restaurants at both parks? what are the prices for the buffeterias at the parks?
thanks

Here are things I found through surfing Japanese websites.

Ambassador Hotel restaurants have an "Anniversary Plan" (Japanese) for their restaurants.

First one is the Chef Mickey. W/ additional 3,000 yen over buffet price, you get those 3 in the pictures. Cake shaped music box, Original pin and sticker. (Chef Mickey prices)

The other two restaurants have gifts when you order anniverary set menu (the cake is only available if you reserve more than 3 days prior).

You need to mention the plan when you reserve.

If you tell it's your child's birthday, CM will give you a birthday sticker with your child's name on it. But comparing to WDW, you may get greeted/congratulated by CMs much less.

Birthday Program is available at below restaurants if you order a whole birthday cake at least one day prior. It will come with birhtday message plate on the dessert with candles and CMs will sing the birthday song for you. When you leave, they will take a picture for you and give it to you with a birthday card with Mickey's message.

TDL: Eastside Cafe, Restaurant Hokusai, Blue Bayou Restaurant
TDS: Ristorante di Canaletto, Magellan's, Restaurant Sakura, S.S. Columbia dining room, Sailing Day Buffet

There are many TDR menu sites, but I can't find ones in English. Use translate.Google.com to translate the whole website.

TDL
TDS

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter