Tokyo Disneyland food question......please help!

CastlesandDreams

Mouseketeer
HI! We are going to TDR in March and I have a dilemma. I have two picky eaters (ages 13 and 12). They only eat macaroni & cheese, pasta with tomato sauce (no meat or veggies in the sauce) and cheese pizza. (They eat other things at home, but not things you would find in a foreign restaurant).

What restaurants can you recommend? I see that there are some pizza places, but they do not serve just cheese pizza. I also see some pasta places, but they do not have plain tomato sauce.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy2:

HI! We are going to TDR in March and I have a dilemma. I have two picky eaters (ages 13 and 12). They only eat macaroni & cheese, pasta with tomato sauce (no meat or veggies in the sauce) and cheese pizza. (They eat other things at home, but not things you would find in a foreign restaurant).

What restaurants can you recommend? I see that there are some pizza places, but they do not serve just cheese pizza. I also see some pasta places, but they do not have plain tomato sauce.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy2:

We have a picky eater as well. I have already asked about bringing microwavable mac and cheese and the like, and fellow DISERS have told me customs won't care about pre-packaged foods. I am not sure if the hotels we will be staying at have microwaves (I truly hope they do) because we are hoping we can feed our picky one microwave pasts (Barilla) and microwave oatmeal and microwave mac and cheese. We will also bring boxes of cereal, granola bars, protein bars etc.. We have learned to live out of carry on luggage so the few bags we can check for free will be stocked with foods that will hold us over in the A.M. as well as during the day if we cannot find something we want to eat. :yay::woohoo::cool1:

If I remember correctly there is a microwave in the Babycare Center at both parks. There should probably also be one at the convenience stores in the hotels.

I was thinking about bringing the mac & cheese cups. We are also staying at an apartment in Tokyo before TDR (with a supermarket in the building) and I was also thinking about buying bread, peanut butter and jelly.

I was hoping that there would be some restaurants they could eat in. I didn't realize that pasta with tomato sauce or a plain pizza would be hard to find.

We hit a lot of Hard Rock Cafe's in Tokyo (not at DL though). Even though I like to experience local cuisine, I do like a good old standby with American food.

In DL I recall ordering shrimp and pasta, thought that would be good. Love it at home. Don't love it there when you have while shrimps (not hard shell ones) with eyeballs that you eat.

Keep in mind that you can use boiling water from the in-room kettle to cook oatmeal, pasta, etc. if you don't have access to a microwave.

My kids are both picky *and* we're dealing with severe food allergies in my youngest (age 6 - eggs & nuts). We are going next week. I am so excited about this trip for so many reasons, but food is NOT one of them! Even living in Singapore the last 3 years, my kids haven't expanded their tastes much, other than my oldest (and even he would probably be hesitant to try sushi!) I hate to limit myself to Hard Rock/McDonalds/Italian food, but I am worried on many levels!

We'll definitely be bringing lots of snacks we know are safe for our youngest... but I still worry!

We just got back from Tokyo. We stayed at the Hilton Tokyo Bay - there was a kettle in the room but no microwave. The convenience store in the lobby had a microwave- not sure if you could bring your own food in.
There is a TGIFriday's at Ikspiari, and a couple of burger places.
We ate at Zambini Bros - my daughter's friend wanted plain pasta - they called over the manager who managed to get a bowl of plain pasta and one of meat sauce. We did not try to get just plain tomato sauce as she is a no sauce kid. They did not have any butter to put on the pasta though.
I did take a stash of granola bars and beef jerky to get us through.
Have fun!

We just got back from Tokyo. We stayed at the Hilton Tokyo Bay - there was a kettle in the room but no microwave. The convenience store in the lobby had a microwave- not sure if you could bring your own food in.
We ate at Zambini Bros - my daughter's friend wanted plain pasta - they called over the manager who managed to get a bowl of plain pasta and one of meat sauce. We did not try to get just plain tomato sauce as she is a no sauce kid. They did not have any butter to put on the pasta though.
I did take a stash of granola bars and beef jerky to get us through.
Have fun!

If you don't mind eating outside of the park I recommend eating at Saizeriya. Delicious Italian food for a low cost, can be eaten family style (it is a family restaurant), American friendly meals, and you don't have to go very far.

http://www.saizeriya.co.jp/menu/grandmenu.html

It's located downstairs of Maihama station (train station for Tokyo Disneyland). To get there first you leave from the Tokyo Disneyland exit, turn left, walk toward the convinence store/Hotel Dream Gate Maihama (if you walk past the Tokyo Disney Resort Welcome Center you have walked past the hotel), walk down the stairs, and you will find yourself next to Saizeriya.

It might be crowded depending on the time you go.

TGIF will suit what you're after, however it's expensive. There's also a convenience store right on the bottom floor of Ikspiari which sold a lot of Western food. From memory there's also a bakery there, which I think will have a few items that your kids would eat.

Away from the parks, there's generally a McDonalds, Burger King/Hungry Jacks or KFC on every corner. So you could always get them something from there, and grab yourself something from a hole in the wall noodle place :thumbsup2

We stayed at the Hilton Tokyo Bay & were able to get the kids pizza from the italian restaurant there. The other night we ate at the buffet, but only my son = we fed the girls mac & cheese cups which were not quite right using the kettle in the room :lol: The Italian restaurant at Disneysea was great for the kids, I think we had pizza again - the "kids meal" was ridiculous. Nothing they would really eat. They ate LOTS of popcorn & the snacks I had brought with me.

In Tokyo itself we had McD's a few times, went to Outback one night (with 2 American waiters from CA!). In Hakone they basically only ate snacks. It was definitely a tough food trip -- but my son DID try sushi off the buffet at the hotel (which was REALLY good, but SUPER expensive!)

Our kids are picky eaters as well (no tomato sauce, ketchup or sauces; however, they'll eat mac & cheese, plain pasta, chicken nuggets, fries, bread, plain rice, popcorn & plain hamburgers and steak) and we were able to survive 3 days in Hong Kong and 7 days in Tokyo last summer. Search and review the menus on-line to get a general idea of what's available in the parks. If not, ask to having something removed or modified. My wife was able to get the heart shaped cheese and sauce removed from the famed 'chopped' steak from Queen of Hearts in Fantasyland. The Manager was even concerned about any food allergies. It may have taken about 20 minutes for my daughter's lunch to arrive, but she was happy (I missed a great photo).

Before we sat down at a traditional Japanese restaurant at the Sky Tower, a local resident (Costco employee :)), took me to Family Mart (7-11) to buy a package of white rice to which the clerk heated in a microwave for a 100yen ($0.85). My daughter had something to eat at a very reduced rate. Not to worry, we spent enough at that place and we just didn't waste any food on my daughter. To locate one of these marts, just look on Google Maps and you'll see their symbols everywhere.

For breakfast we ate at Krispy Kreme one morning and a Belgium Waffle shop next door on another day in Ikspiari. There are lots of eating establishment there as well as a small grocery store with good prices.

Don't worry as there are lots of choices within the parks and outside as well. We even eat at sushi go round in Shibuya (west side of Tokyo) and the kids ate baked chicken wings, rice, small hamburger patties and cooked shrimp. Sushi was about 75-80% of the menu, but they found something to eat. Maybe the food being sent via trolley was a fun distraction. :)

One last thing, portions are not as large as in the US, but we were full and satisfied with the variety and flavor of all of our meals, Western or Eastern (we even lost a little weight).

Again, Check the menus available on-line to get a general idea of the choices available and ask the clerk/server to slightly modify any food items to your needs. They were very helpful and we had no complaints. Best of Luck and Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter