TOTW closed July 4th for paid event

The details on the member site about TOTWL is no longer there. It's all different text.
It's still there. Actually it was just updated again today. Now it is very clear on when the lounge is closed. Hopefully they update more frequently. They plan on closing it 12/31 too. Check under "Important Details" it now has the blackout dates that disappeared and now reappeared with more information.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...s/events-experiences/top-of-the-world-lounge/

It's still there. Actually it was just updated again today. Now it is very clear on when the lounge is closed. Hopefully they update more frequently. They plan on closing it 12/31 too. Check under "Important Details" it now has the blackout dates that disappeared and now reappeared with more information.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...s/events-experiences/top-of-the-world-lounge/
Thanks for the link. It works for me, since traditionally we go to the lounge the first of the two nights, then move over to an Epcot resort for July 4 and December 31. However, changing the rules for this July 4 is terrible.
On the West Coast Member Cruise, Terri Schultz had very minimal presence especially when compared to Ken. Her involvement in DVC is truly horrible IMO.

Last edited:

Hey, members with NYE reservations who were thinking of using BLT! Get out the checkbook!

Ugh.
At least this time they are warning everyone before 180 days kicks in for dining reservations when other plans can be made. But as you said (and I agree) those members were never guaranteed to use the lounge because it is an incidental benefit.

To bad it wasn't the 7 month mark though when people could have possibly jumped ship. But some notice is better than the almost none they gave before.

At least this time they are warning everyone before 180 days kicks in for dining reservations when other plans can be made. But as you said (and I agree) those members were never guaranteed to use the lounge because it is an incidental benefit.

To bad it wasn't the 7 month mark though when people could have possibly jumped ship. But some notice is better than the almost none they gave before.

However, the event at TOTW is likely to be $$$$ like all of Disney's other NYE stuff. So there is that. Many other experiences require park tickets. It's still yuck.

However, the event at TOTW is likely to be $$$$ like all of Disney's other NYE stuff. So there is that. Many other experiences require park tickets. It's still yuck.
Don’t disagree. The 4th one is only $10 cheaper than the one at California Grill which I assume food alone the $10 spread isn’t enough between the two events.

From the member website (new today - none of the blackout dates info was there yesterday):
Important Details

View details about parking, blockout dates, operating hours and more.
Parking
Parking is only available to those staying at Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort or Disney’s Contemporary Resort. Members traveling from other Resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation.
Parking will also be available for Guests renting the Top of the World Lounge for the duration of the event.
Hours
Current operating hours are 6:00 PM to midnight. Hours are subject to change.
Blockout dates
This benefit is offered into 2019, but these blockout dates apply:
  • July 3: Available only to Members staying at Bay Lake Tower
  • July 4: Closed for Private Member Event
  • December 30: Available only to Members staying at Bay Lake Tower
  • December 31: Closed for Private Member Event
Blockout dates are subject to change.

This is what it said before. I wonder if showing this would work to get around their new stuff:
Top of the World Lounge
Discover a soothing space to unwind at Top of the World Lounge, located at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort. One of the vacation kingdom’s most exclusive spaces, this lounge is available to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. It’s an ideal place to savor light bites and refreshing cocktails—and unforgettable views.

Disney Vacation Club Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with Vacation Points or cash) may enjoy access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort through December 29, 2018.

Blockout dates apply for Top of the World Lounge, including but not limited to: December 30 — 31, 2017; July 3 — 4, 2018; and December 30 — 31, 2018. Current operating hours are 6:00 PM to midnight.

Accessing the Lounge

This perk is available for our Members and their guests. People who are in that Member’s traveling party and staying on that Member’s reservation are also eligible to visit Top of the World Lounge. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current MagicBand or card in order to gain admission to the lounge and observation deck. A Disney Vacation Club Membership Card is also required to verify Membership.

Parking & Transportation

Parking is only available to those staying at Bay Lake Tower or Disney's Contemporary Resort. Members traveling from other Resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation.

Sign In

Upon arrival, Members must walk to the Bay Lake Tower main lobby entrance on the ground floor and check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby.

Availability

This special access to Top of the World Lounge is available on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. As the lounge is particularly popular during the Magic Kingdom fireworks, arriving as early as possible will give Members the best chance of gaining admission.

Everything I've seen refers to the LOUNGE being closed for this event. Maybe I missed it, but is the observation deck is still open? I'm not staying over the 4th, but if I were, this scenario might have it's advantages. I would never bring my own cocktails into the Lounge, but I wouldn't feel guilty bringing them to the observation deck if the Lounge were closed to me. Win-win-- Disney makes lots of money on the people that pay for this event, and people that are up there mainly for the fireworks save lots of money by bringing their own libations.

Both the Lounge AND Observation deck are CLOSED according to the manager we talked with at member services today.

The greed and classlessness of this current regime is stunning even by recent disney standards. 3 weeks notice for people who booked 11 months ago??

On the bright side, the official announcement on Disney parks blog (having finally corrected the spelling of the word "Top" in the title :sad2:) cleverly closed out the information with plagiarized dialogue from Muppetvision 3D, so I guess it's OK now.

Both the Lounge AND Observation deck are CLOSED according to the manager we talked with at member services today.

They don’t care. The points are already sold, if ppl don’t want them Disney can buy them back and make even more money on the next saps. I actually might just sit, watch and film with my phone as they turn away BLT tower DVC guests. You know some people will not know until that night. Talk about fireworks......

Still the same. I'm upset with the short notice and the lack of respect but I can't expect them to subsidize my vacation at their cost. Overall I still maintain that I doubt that space turns any meaningful profit.

This part is why I'm upset. They promised the perk through 2019 and then implemented this change which functionally removes the benefit some nights. I'm just not inherently against up-charge events (for reasons listed above) just against those that go against what was previously promised.

You are retaining the same premise that they are losing money - ie your comment of subsidizing your vacation. In running across a little more info I'm even more convinced it is not losing money.

They are simply running out of good spots to add more paid events IMO. They decided to push the membership "benefits".

You are retaining the same premise that they are losing money - ie your comment of subsidizing your vacation. In running across a little more info I'm even more convinced it is not losing money.

They are simply running out of good spots to add more paid events IMO. They decided to push the membership "benefits".
What makes you think it isn’t losing money? I mean it could be making money but the times I’ve seen it’s been very empty and not really much food or beverages being sold.

Last edited:
Just to play devil's advocate here, is it actually true that the lounge doesn't fill to capacity on 7/4 and 12/31? I find that hard to believe. While I do think there should be special access set aside for BLT guests, at least now your odds of getting it are much higher than hoping to get there before the lounge reached capacity. And clearly the demand for the lounge on these dates is high because the event is already sold out. So while it is a crappy thing to do, it's mostly crappy to the BLT guests. I have no issue with it in terms of it being a paid event for non-BLT guests.

According to the advert for the event, the lounge is ONLY open to those paying $120 each (including tax and tip). The sheer greed is breathtaking, the current regime is just awful. Also 12/31 is closed.
To take my family including 2 kids would be $480, I can get a 2 night cruise for that. Absolutely ridiculous.
Never buy for perks, the only reason any are offered is to sell timeshare.

According to the CM, July 4 was listed as a blackout date, and he mentioned that the DVC contract with TOTWL had changed for 2019.

Have anyone looked that up to see what it actually says?

I was under the impression that the lounge was paid by/with BLT owners dues thats why it's only for members. Closing the lounge for specific dates would go against that.

IMO any earnings should go towards paying for the lounge and therefore lowering the owners dues <-- knowing Disney this is not happening :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter