Training Plans and Terminology: A Newbie's Guide to Running

Keels

The Official Keels of RunDisney
Hello, everyone!

We've got quite a few newbies around these parts lately (YAY!), so I thought I'd put together a basic Cliff's Notes guide to a few things that are running specific, but not necessarily RunDisney specific.

When I was a beginning runner, I really struggled with what plan to do - I mean, running should be easy ... right? Just put on sneakers and go out there!

But we all know that for most people getting started with training for an endurance event, it's not just that simple.

So, in the next two posts, I'll provide two things:
1. An overview of the five most-popular training programs for endurance events - Couch-to-5K, Galloway Training, Hal Higdon Training Plans, Nike+ Run Club Training Plans and Hansons Method.
2. Generally running terminology (like fartlek ... I mean, there's no way that's a word, right @Ariel484?).

Of course - a training program that may work for one person may be completely wrong for another, but there's often so much information to process when looking at plan and where to start, so my hope was that we could use this as a jump-off point to form an all-encompassing guide book to training plans and the good and bad you've experienced with them.

Please comment with specific successes, failures or even modifications you made to these plans and with results and I will link them underneath the specific plan for easy access!

Training Plan Overview

A brief overview and links to five of the most popular training plans as used by RunDIS members.

Couch-to-5K (C25K)

Designed by Cool Running, Inc., Couch-to-5K is a training program developed to help ease beginning runners literally from the couch to completion of a 5K.

Time Commitment: 20-30 minutes, two-to-three times a week, for nine weeks total.

The Plan: The theory behind C25K is simple - while the end-goal is running a 5K, C25K wants to help those new to running training acclimate their bodies to the rigors of training for an endurance race through a gradually increasing walking/jogging plan.

Does This Plan Use Intervals? Yes - run/walk intervals of either distance or time, based on your fitness level.

Extras: Cool Running offers a C25K app for most mobile devices, but there are others that you can find in your app store that feature different elements - from scenarios like running away from zombies, to music that falls in line with the C25K prompts (ie. slower music for the walk interval, uptempo music when it’s time for you to run).

Potential Negatives: The C25K plan definitely starts out slow and beginning runners may feel like they’re not accomplishing much during the first couple of weeks. The plan is structured to keep beginning runners from pushing their bodies too far, too fast and instead is designed to help up endurance and overall fitness level. Try not to skip ahead in the plan, even though you think you MIGHT be ready to.

End Goal: Run three miles in 30 minutes after nine weeks of training.

User Level: Beginner

Perfect For: Those brand-new to running, individuals looking to make a fitness change, anyone looking for an entry-level training plan.

Links
Official C25K Page:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Galloway Training Programs (*Preferred RunDisney Training Program*)

Designed by 71-year old former Olympian Jeff Galloway, the Galloway Training Programs can help runners of various experience levels train for various endurance lengths (10K, half marathon, marathon, multi-day endurance challenge) by utilizing an Interval program - often referred to as Run/Walk/Run Method. The thinking behind these plans is to help runners grow mileage while preventing injury, thanks to the structure and required walk breaks during the course of a run.

Time Commitment: Varies, but most plans feature a minimum of two weekday runs paired with at least one weekend long run. More aggressive, time-improvement plans or multi-day challenge plans will include multiple weekday runs as well as back-to-back long runs on the weekend.

Novice to Intermediate runners will notice that the plan adds in extra days of speed work, aimed at helping improve overall pacing and speed.

10K and Half Marathon (including 19.3 Challenges) plans typically last 18-20 weeks. Marathon and Goofy/Dopey Challenge Programs will require 28 to 29 weeks of training.

Does This Plan Use Intervals? Yes. Galloway Training Programs utilize the Run/Walk/Run method, which is a strict plan for timed run portions followed by a portion of walking for recovery.

Potential Negatives: Determining the “Perfect Interval” for a runner takes a bit of trial and error before you find the one that works best for you. Also, many Galloway Programs require a final long run equal or greater than the distance of the run that a runner is training for - for example, 14 miles is your longest run in training for a half marathon (13.1) with a one-week taper period, or 26 miles for a marathon with a three-week taper period. In extreme cases, like the plan for the Dopey Challenge, Galloway Plans will call for an almost full-mileage simulation with only a two-week taper period - ie. 45 minutes, 5 miles, 12 miles, 26 miles. In comparison to many other training programs, the mileage build-up is extreme.

End Goal: For beginning runners looking to increase distance from C25K, the goal is to finish a greater distance (10K, Half Marathon, Marathon, Challenge) healthy and upright, while also having a reasonable expectation of finish time for the race. For Novice to Intermediate runners, the goal is to improve time to meet an improved time goal, or to tackle a longer endurance goal (Marathon, Goofy, Dopey, Ultra).

User Level(s): Beginner, Novice, Intermediate

Links:
Official Jeff Galloway Site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/
RunDisney Training Plans: http://www.rundisney.com/training/running/

Hal Higdon Training Plans

A longtime runner and contributor to Runner’s World, Hal Higdon has developed plans to help beginning runners take the next step in endurance events, to help safely build mileage while also incorporating non-running workouts (cross training) as well as pace/tempo workouts. There are three basic levels of plans (Novice, Intermediate, Advanced) - some with multiple plans within that level (ie. Novice 1 for basic mileage build-up, Novice 2 is mileage build-up with pace runs).

Time Commitment: The time commitment with Higdon Plans are more significant than the first two plans described. The Novice 1 Half Marathon Plan calls for three weekday runs (maxing out at five miles beginning in Week 9), one required day of Cross Training and a weekend long run (maxing out at 10 miles the week before the Half Marathon). Novice 1 Marathon Plan calls for three weekday runs (including a 10-mile midweek run on Week 15), and cross training and one long run on the weekend - topping out at 20 miles also in Week 15.

Half Marathon Plans require 12 Weeks. Marathon Plans require 18 Weeks. Higdon also offers a special Dopey Plan (18 Weeks, three weekday runs, with weekends alternating between two runs or long run and cross training).

Does This Plan Use Intervals? Higdon Plans generally emphasize mileage over time, so many of them are easily adaptable to work with Run/Walk intervals. More advanced plans (ie. Intermediate 1-2, Advanced, Dopey Plan) begin incorporating run vs. pace runs and advance up to speedwork segments, hill training and other aspects that may not be conducive to the overall concept of Run/Walk Intervals.

Potential Negatives: Because Higdon Plans focus on mileage build-up first, the midweek/weekday runs from the middle to the end of the plan can really cause daily scheduling problems - max mileage of five miles two days a week during Half Marathon training, and a week of seven and 10 miles during the week during Marathon Training - so the time commitment is definitely something to consider and map out when you’re beginning a Higdon Plan. And while the plan encourages “juggling” of the runs to best suit your schedule (even if this means two hard runs in a row), be sure to add in an extra recovery day to compensate as those two runs are usually broken up by at least one easy run and a rest day. Also, Cross Training is a key in the Higdon Plan which may not be easy for those that don’t have a gym membership or access to alternative workout options. Higdon Plans also encourage running races of various distances during the training plan to help benchmark time and help you establish reasonable expectations of your finish in the half/full marathon you are training for. These are really the only benchmarks for final expectations.

End Goal: Finishing a greater distance upright on your first attempt, as well as improving time at an experience distance. Higdon also offers plans for training for your Personal Best at a distance, Boston Qualifying and other race-specific endeavors.

User Level(s): Novice, Intermediate, Advanced

Links:
Hal Higdon Website:
http://www.halhigdon.com
Higdon Novice 1 Half Marathon: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
Higdon Novice 1 Marathon: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
Higdon Intermediate 1 Half Marathon: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/64474/Half-Marathon-Walk-Training-Program-Intermediate-1
Higdon Intermediate 1 Marathon: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51139/Marathon-Intermediate-1-Training-Program
Higdon Advanced Half Marathon: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51133/Half-Marathon-Advanced-Training-Program
Higdon Advanced Marathon: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51141/Marathon-Advanced-1-Training-Program
Higdon Dopey Challenge: http://www.halhigdon.com/writing/57107/Dopey Challenge Training Guide

Nike+ Run Club Training Plans

Nike has developed a training program geared for more advanced runners to help improve speed and overall running strength. The concept is a flexible weekly board of seven workouts that combine to put an emphasis on speed, strength and recovery. Each week, the plan gives seven options and you schedule the order in which you want to complete the workouts. Nike+ most recently designed the official training plan for the Chicago Marathon.

Time Commitment: Significant. For Half Marathon, expect to run a minimum of five days a week (seven if you’re seeking significant results), with two days of speed work and one day of endurance/long run. The other four days are set by the trainee on how long they feel they need to run to maintain training (suggestions will generally be 2-5 miles). Half Marathon program runs 14 weeks. For a full Marathon, expect the same over 18 weeks with non-speed/endurance run suggestions ranging anywhere from three to 10 miles.

Does This Plan Use Intervals? Not specifically. There is a heavy emphasis on speed/fartlek work in these training plans and the endurance runs are often encouraged to be done at a pace 60-90 seconds slower than what the runner may view as race day pace. With the other runs being open-ended, there is an opportunity for Intervals to be used on the non-speed/fartlek portions of the plan.

Potential Negatives: Other than the Speed Work, Endurance Run, Fartlek run each week, the runner is pretty much left to their own designs as to what to do for the remaining four days - maybe run whatever distance you feel in the suggested range, do some cross-training or just take the whole day off.

End Goal: The Nike+ Run Club plans are clearly designed to help with time improvement/PR goals for more experienced runners. They assume that runners are experienced at the distance they are training for and are looking to “up their game”.

User Level(s): Intermediate, Advanced

Links:
Nike+ Run Club Half Marathon Plan:
http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/running/nike-run-club/training-plans/half-marathon#qNjNuWt5NI-1
Nike+ Run Club Marathon Plan: http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/running/nike-run-club/training-plans/marathon
Nike+ Chicago Marathon Plan: http://s3.nikecdn.com/events-platform/pre-prod/NET_Admin/faq/2016-08-27_822_MarathonTrainingPlan.pdf

Hansons Method

Not for the faint of heart, the title of their book pretty much says it all -- “Hansons Marathon Method: Run Your Fastest Marathon the Hansons Way”. With a schedule that (to some) borders on grueling, the purpose of the plan is to train a runner to run on tired legs and ultimately preparing for the endurance event via cumulative fatigue.

Time Commitment: Very significant. Six days a week, minimum, with midweek runs of 10-12 miles being more common than not. On the flip side, your long run will max out at 16 miles - which is set to simulate the last 16 miles of a marathon, on tired legs. You will hit the 16-mile mark multiple times during the plan. The plans are 18 weeks in length.

Does This Plan Use Intervals? Not in the previously mentioned Run/Walk methodology. Speed and other workouts on this plan rely on specific pacing (5K, 10K, etc.), so it’s important that the runner have a firm grasp of what their specific pacing is for those mileage marks.

Potential Negatives: See “Time Commitment”. It’s significant. But, again, your max run for a marathon is going to be 16 miles (again, to simulate the last 16 miles of a marathon ... the Hansons plan likes to place emphasis on the last 16, not the first 20 miles of a marathon #Math) - so there is that. That said, the books don’t really offer up much deviation from plan like other plans - it’s pretty stringent. If you want to adjust the plan to meet a specific goal time, fitness level, etc. - it is possible with #Math to help you determine training times and intensity. It also factors in nutrition, hydration and other aspects outside of running. No cross training is involved in this plan, so be aware of that - it really is just about running and the miles. Also, familiarize yourself with VO2Max - this means a wearable device that can monitor your heart rate is a requirement for success with this plan.

End Goal: Personal Best or vast time improvement in a longer-distance endurance event (half marathon, full marathon).

User Level: Even though they offer a “Beginner Plan”, this plan is for the Advanced runner.

Links:
Hansons Marathon Book:
https://www.amazon.com/Hansons-Mara...qid=1473834047&sr=8-1&keywords=hansons+method
Hansons Half-Marathon Book: https://www.amazon.com/Hansons-Half...qid=1473834047&sr=8-2&keywords=hansons+method

Last edited:

Serious reply: FOR ME, Higdo-way is the best method. That is, a Hal Higdon training plan doing Galloway run/walk intervals. I like Higdon plans because I feel like they're enough mileage but not too much - I'm prepared for the races but training doesn't totally take over my life.

In particular, for a half marathon or a 10K + half marathon challenge, I like The Novice 2 or Intermediate 1 plans.

For the marathon, Goofy or Dopey challenge, the Novice 1 marathon training plan has worked well for me.

I also do yoga twice per week, and way back when I started running, Couch-to-5K was the first plan I ever used. :)

I'm a Galloway girl and have found his plans to work well for me and my old body. I've shared before though that I think it's a great plan for someone who doesn't want to commit huge swaths of time to training and just wants to be able to complete a longer race in an upright and mostly happy condition. If you really are looking for a more aggressive time goal for a finish, then doing something like @Ariel484 mentions and combining interval running with something like Higdon's mileage may be a great compromise.

My husband and I are actually talking about trying something like this next year when we start formal training for that season.

First off, thanks @Keels for putting this together. It is awesome and should be helpful for many folks!
Generally running terminology (like fartlek ... I mean, there's no way that's a word, right @Ariel484?).
Fart fart fart...lek

Those Swedes really know how to make a cool word.
Please comment with specific successes, failures or even modifications you made to these plans and with results and I will link them underneath the specific plan for easy access!

I have used both Hal Higdon and Hansons with success (as well as other plans way back when). I believe that just about any well-established training plan works to get you ready for a marathon IF, and I can't stress this enough, IF you complete the entire training. Sure missing a day here or there won't kill you, but missing more than 5% of the total mileage in the plan will hurt you, and it doesn't take too many missed workouts before you get to 5%, so consistency is key.

I am going to use Higdon's Novice 2 Marathon for my first marathon, having used his Novice 2 for the Half Marathon and liked it 4 times now. I felt like it prepared me well each time and had a slow and steady progression of mileage on a weekly basis.

I do usually alter it in one way though. I don't run Tu-We-Th-Sa they way he suggests. That is tough on both my schedule and body. I did it that way the first time, but since, I've been mostly an M-W-F-SU schedule. I am struggling to decide what to do for the marathon training which will start the first week of January for a May race. I know the running on tired legs simulation is part of the Tu-We-Th planning, but knowing my rate of injury, I am afraid to do it. My thinking is for my first full in May I will stick with Mo-We-Fr-Su and then for MCM next October (deferred from this year) I will try the more conventional schedule with lower mileage in the 2 months between the end of the first full and the start of training for the second. If it seems to be working, I'll give it a go for the fall race. That would then set me up well to transition to the Higdon Dopey plan for January. But I am getting ahead of myself...again;)

I agree that I like the combination of Galloway run/walk intervals with the Hal Higdon plan. I also modify the Hal Higdon plan so that instead of 4 runs and 1 cross training day, I do 3 runs and 2 cross training days. That balance seems to work out for me. I look forward to the definitions post :)

I agree that I like the combination of Galloway run/walk intervals with the Hal Higdon plan. I also modify the Hal Higdon plan so that instead of 4 runs and 1 cross training day, I do 3 runs and 2 cross training days. That balance seems to work out for me. I look forward to the definitions post :)

That sounds like a plan I could get behind. I've been trying different training plans. What's resulted is some kind of hodge podge "just get the booty off the couch and move" training program. My routine right now is cross train (weights with a small running warm up of a mile or so on treadmill) 2 days a week, run 2-3 days a week (depending on if husband's weekend schedule and childcare), and walking 1.5-2 miles 5 days a week at lunch. When I run, I'm doing intervals and loosely using this plan: https://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/ (Half-Marathon Walk/Run)

That sounds like a plan I could get behind. I've been trying different training plans. What's resulted is some kind of hodge podge "just get the booty off the couch and move" training program. My routine right now is cross train (weights with a small running warm up of a mile or so on treadmill) 2 days a week, run 2-3 days a week (depending on if husband's weekend schedule and childcare), and walking 1.5-2 miles 5 days a week at lunch. When I run, I'm doing intervals and loosely using this plan: https://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/ (Half-Marathon Walk/Run)

That sounds really similar to what I do :)

Mondays are rest days with a 30 minute walk at lunch. Tuesdays is a 45 minute body pump (weights) class at the gym with a 15 minute warm up job on the treadmill. Wednesday is either speed work or a tempo run. Thursday is a 3 mile run. Friday is more body pump with a treadmill warm up. Saturday is a rest day. Sunday is a long, slow run. I flip around the Friday, Saturday and Sunday routines as needed for the schedule but the weekday stuff is pretty much standard.

I think the most important thing about training plans is being realistic about what will work with your schedule and what your goals are. I don't feel like my current schedule is conducive to more than three runs per week but that is fine because I am also realistic about my goals. I am running mostly for fun and fitness. Improved speed is mostly a side benefit. I know that if my goal changed at some point and I wanted to get a lot faster, I would have to train differently.

Great thread @Keels! I've often wondered about other plans and what they entailed and this just reinforced that the Jeff Galloway plan is still the right one for my schedule!

For the last couple of years I've successfully used the JG plans from the rundisney site to complete all my halfs and challenges. I adapt it a bit in that I max out btwn 10-12 miles however.

This is a great idea! I’ve been running for a long time and I still have questions or confusion around plans, run types and terminology. Hopefully this will be a safe place where people won’t worry about asking a question that may be perceived as “dumb”. In my experience we generally all have the same questions, just not sure we should ask. Additionally, we are all different with different individual goals.

For reference, when I returned to Marathoning after a 13 year break I did Higdon’s Intermediate 1 plan and when I made my first attempt at qualifying for Boston (I didn’t qualify) I went up to Higdon’s advanced.

For my second BQ attempt I switched to Pfitzingers 18/70 plan which is more advanced and along the lines of Hanson’s (with variations of course) and reached my goal.

Although Pfitzinger’s helped me reach my goal there is no way I would have gotten there without first using the Higdon’s plans to establish and build my marathon base. I believe marathoning is a process and I needed a few years to work through the first part of the process and I continue working through it today. For me personally it helped to define what my goals are and then determine what the process would be to reach those goals. At the same time evaluating my progress and being brutally honest with myself about my abilities and expectations.

Personally - I've done four of the five training plans I highlighted ... and I read the Hansons Method Marathon book in preparation for Chicago, but ended up going with a hybrid between what I was comfortable with (Higdon) and what Chicago encouraged (Nike+ Run Club plan).

In retrospect, I wish I had stuck with the Higdon plan I used this year for Dopey and I probably wouldn't have had to defer Chicago Marathon last week due to injury. The Nike+ RC plan called for a LOT of workouts, including speed work twice a week, and I mixed in hill work with increasing mileage every week and, ultimately, it was just too much for my body to take.

I used the Higdon Dopey plan last year (I made some modifications to it based on races I already had scheduled before I registered for Dopey, and also travel that I needed to work around - so I'll attach the plan here), with the sole goal of finishing all four races upright, happy, healthy and without injury. And that happened! I didn't have the world's best training cycle - I mean, I fell in July and tore up my knees and that was a set back, but I still stuck as close to the plan as I could and everything worked out for me.

I went from my first 10K to a half marathon in five weeks using a plan created by the Dartmouth Cross Country team (I just picked it up starting with the week following the six mile run week), and ... I finished that one. It wasn't pretty either, but I was glad to get my first half out of the way. From there, I went to Higdon's Novice 1 and really found something that worked for me.

Attachments

• Dopey2016v2.6.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 26
@Keels your Dopey plan includes the most important days the days following Dopey where you drink and cruise!

I'll let you guess which bad boys on that spreadsheet got filled out first!

Also, I remember a specific discussion with @FFigawi over scheduling of two long runs when I had plans to be in New Orleans (13 and 14 milers). He was pretty insistent that I could do long runs in NOLA - and I was like "Yeah ... I mean, I COULD, but I won't."

Being realistic in creating a training schedule that works for you always helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter