Training Plans and Terminology: A Newbie's Guide to Running

Hello all! What a nice thread! I'm new to running! Was inspired while staying at WDW marathon weekend and started running March 1. Ran a 10K April 10, and a 5K June 25. I'll be running my first half, next weekend and my second will be wine and dine. I've been following Galloway although I don't walk? I take breaks when and if my knee tells me too! I ran 12.5 miles (my longest distance) a week and a half ago and my knee killed me mile 11. I've been running three days a week 3-3.5 miles and hope by taking it easy I'll finish with minimal pain. I hope I'm not undoing all the hard work I've put in by not running longer distances. Any advice would be amazing! Thanks! Just wanted to say hi!

Last edited:
@Keels What an amazing idea! This is really well done. I'll add my history and experience.

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 6.17.49 PM.png

I have used the following training plans:
June 2012 - July 2013: PR everyday
July 2013 - January 2014: Galloway Dopey
January 2014 - June 2015: FIRST
June 2015 - January 2016: Hansons
January 2016 - Present: Custom

My experience with each:
PR Everyday
This plan speaks for itself. Unfortunately some of us start with this plan. I went everyday and pushed as hard as possible. I didn't really have set distances, set durations, or set paces I was trying to hit per se. I just ran several miles 3x/per week with hard efforts everyday (no easy running). This was a poor plan that had no basis. Without a good structure it didn't provide the benefits I thought it would. I never really got any faster.

Galloway Dopey
I followed the plan as prescribed with a few exceptions:
1) I did not follow run/walk, but ran continuously.
2) I did not run beyond 20 miles.
3) I ran everyday ignoring his recommendation to "walk" on some days
4) On the Dopey simulation days, I simulated the pace as well as the distance. So I ran Thursday at 5K pace, Friday at 10K pace, Saturday at HM pace, and Sunday at M pace.
5) I did not follow the recommended 2 min slower than M pace for the long run. I thought well I can run it faster, why not?

I successfully crossed the finish line with this plan, but in hindsight would have done things differently.

-Because Galloway doesn't specify training paces for most of the runs I ran them as hard as I could everytime. I wouldn't do this again. Several different paces over the entire spectrum play a key role in getting better. Running your long runs significantly slower than desired race pace is critical for eliciting the correct benefits.
-Because I don't run/walk the duration of the 20 mile runs was too much. If you run/walk, then Jack Daniels recommendation is max training at 4.5 hours for a single run. However, when continuous running it's suggested 2.5-3 hours (Daniels is 2.5 and Hansons say 3) at which there are diminishing returns (you keep reaping benefits, but you fatigue the muscles SOOO much that it risks injury greatly). So since I didn't follow Galloway's run/walk I was training for too long and placing myself at a higher injury risk then someone who run/walked the plan.
-The plan focuses almost primarily on lactate threshold workouts (by virtue of run/walk) and running economy. However, because I did continuous running and hard every day I reaped only some running economy (no lactate threshold work and no VO2max workouts).

FIRST
This plan was 3x/week with speed, tempo, and long run as the three days. This plan has no easy days and relies on you doing cross-training workouts, of which I did a medicine ball workout (which wasn't quite what they were looking for). This plan was set to improve VO2max and Running Economy. From Summer 2014-Summer 2015 I used this plan and made almost no progress. In fact I had my worst marathon experience on this plan. I can not in good faith recommend this plan knowing what I know now about training.

Hansons (#Math)
6 days a week with three hard days and three easy days. The plan's basis is four pillars:

1) Don't have a single run exceed 35% of the total weekly mileage.
2) Don't have a single run last longer than 3 hours
3) Follow a Lydiard periodization training schedule with paces divergent in the beginning and getting closer to race day pace as the plan progresses.
4) Cumulative Fatigue

These pillars come together to help form the basis of their plan.

Because I had done speed work with FIRST but wasn't ready for the 6 days per week or huge increase in mileage I made a hybrid "Intermediate" plan with speed work like Advances but lesser mileage like Beginner. The big draw to the plan (and most common thing associated with it) is the 16 mile long run. Because you run 6 days per week, it isn't necessary to complete massive single long runs. The goal of the long run is to improve Running Economy and stave off fatigue from the lactate threshold. The cumulative fatigue from all of the other days running provides this benefit without having to do 20-26 mile runs. However, it is a common misconception that the 16 mile long run is set in stone. As with all Hansons the plan's basis is in #Math. Which means if you run faster, then your long run is further. But if you evaluate the plan on the basis of duration, then no matter what your fitness level pace the long run should be around 2.5-3 hour max. For some that's 14 miles, others 16 miles, others 23 miles. This #Math exists in the tempo/speed/strength workouts as well for a basis of adjusting the suggested book plan.

This plan provided my biggest jump in abilities. It worked VO2max (speed), Lactate Threshold (Strength/Tempo), and Running Economy (Tempo/Long Run/Easy). The hardest part about Hansons is the time commitment. It's 6 days per week and involves many 70, 90, and 120 minute weekday runs. But the benefits can be tremendous. Honestly, I felt much less tired running Hansons than any of the other training plans I completed prior. Even though the plan is 6 days per week, it is very well balanced. Although, it does not specifically claim to follow an 80% easy/ 20% hard split, the plan does. By virtue of focusing primarily on paces almost always slower than marathon pace it allows the body to recover and elicit a laundry list of benefits of slow/easy running. Thus, EASY running is VERY good for you. I used to do hard running all the time and "survived the training" but once I switched to Hansons (but moreso an easy mileage matters mindset) I started "thriving because of the training" Said another way "save it for race day". The plan states you should always be able to do one more mile or one more interval. If you can't, or if your paces are fading, then you're trying too hard. Easy matters. It seems counterintuitive but it works.

Custom (#Lots of Math)
Through all of the research I've done, I have finally settled on custom training plans. I use the basis of all of the knowledge gained during these 4 years of running and scientific research to come up with my own philosophies on running and improvement. If you'd like to read my philosophies on running see these posts (clickable links):

How to build a custom plan - Part 1
How to build a custom plan - Part 2
Marathon is 99% Aerobic
VO2max, Lactate Threshold, Running Economy, and the Psychobiological Model
Speed work vs Endurance work: Which should I choose?
Learning to run by effort: Blind Running
Long Run of 16 miles: How can you possibly run 26.2 with only 16 in training?
Pac-Man Theory: Start Slow and then chomp, chomp, chomp

I have never used C25K, Higdon, or Nike.

Although I quick reviewed the Nike plan and had the following thoughts.
-It doesn't define the easy days well enough. Most of us miss what easy really feels like. But it should be at paces around 60-120 seconds slower than marathon pace.
-The plan focuses on Anaerobic Threshold (mile pace), VO2max (5K/10K paces) and Running Economy (Long Run), but doesn't really have anything for the Lactate Threshold. For a marathon, I would focus more on Endurance work (again it's a 99% aerobic event which means slow running) which means more LT and Running Economy and less AT and VO2max. The AT and VO2max will not really help you much on race day for the marathon, whereas the LT and Running Economy play a vital role. Since AT and VO2max encompass two days a week each week, this plan becomes less useful then it should. Spending a block of time (say 20-30 weeks prior to the marathon) focusing on AT and VO2max can be helpful, but again LT and Running Economy are much more important.
-Doing SOOO much speed work (twice per week) can be really tough on the body. Unless you are gifted athletically, this will put most of us in a compromised risk zone for injuries. The speed days need to be kept further apart (like once per week).
-You never train at marathon pace. So how are you suppose to know what marathon pace feels like? While marathon pace on it's own is kind of in a grey zone physiologically it is a good idea to teach your body "what it feels like" or the effort of doing so.
-With such a fluid schedule, I imagine if someone were to "skip" a workout it would almost always likely be the "easy/recovery" day. This can be a massive pitfall. Continuously doing the hard days but skipping out on the easy days could imbalance the schedule immensely and could cause a higher risk for injury and not elicit the benefits you'd hope to gain. I always like to recommend skipping the hard days if you can't fit it in. Less benefits, but less risk. Better to enter race day slightly undertrained because you missed a hard day here or there, then never make it to the starting line because you're injured.

@Keels What an amazing idea! This is really well done. I'll add my history and experience.

View attachment 194657

I have used the following training plans:
June 2012 - July 2013: PR everyday
July 2013 - January 2014: Galloway Dopey
January 2014 - June 2015: FIRST
June 2015 - January 2016: Hansons
January 2016 - Present: Custom

My experience with each:
PR Everyday
This plan speaks for itself. Unfortunately some of us start with this plan. I went everyday and pushed as hard as possible. I didn't really have set distances, set durations, or set paces I was trying to hit per se. I just ran several miles 3x/per week with hard efforts everyday (no easy running). This was a poor plan that had no basis. Without a good structure it didn't provide the benefits I thought it would. I never really got any faster.

Galloway Dopey
I followed the plan as prescribed with a few exceptions:
1) I did not follow run/walk, but ran continuously.
2) I did not run beyond 20 miles.
3) I ran everyday ignoring his recommendation to "walk" on some days
4) On the Dopey simulation days, I simulated the pace as well as the distance. So I ran Thursday at 5K pace, Friday at 10K pace, Saturday at HM pace, and Sunday at M pace.
5) I did not follow the recommended 2 min slower than M pace for the long run. I thought well I can run it faster, why not?

I successfully crossed the finish line with this plan, but in hindsight would have done things differently.

-Because Galloway doesn't specify training paces for most of the runs I ran them as hard as I could everytime. I wouldn't do this again. Several different paces over the entire spectrum play a key role in getting better. Running your long runs significantly slower than desired race pace is critical for eliciting the correct benefits.
-Because I don't run/walk the duration of the 20 mile runs was too much. If you run/walk, then Jack Daniels recommendation is max training at 4.5 hours for a single run. However, when continuous running it's suggested 2.5-3 hours (Daniels is 2.5 and Hansons say 3) at which there are diminishing returns (you keep reaping benefits, but you fatigue the muscles SOOO much that it risks injury greatly). So since I didn't follow Galloway's run/walk I was training for too long and placing myself at a higher injury risk then someone who run/walked the plan.
-The plan focuses almost primarily on lactate threshold workouts (by virtue of run/walk) and running economy. However, because I did continuous running and hard every day I reaped only some running economy (no lactate threshold work and no VO2max workouts).

FIRST
This plan was 3x/week with speed, tempo, and long run as the three days. This plan has no easy days and relies on you doing cross-training workouts, of which I did a medicine ball workout (which wasn't quite what they were looking for). This plan was set to improve VO2max and Running Economy. From Summer 2014-Summer 2015 I used this plan and made almost no progress. In fact I had my worst marathon experience on this plan. I can not in good faith recommend this plan knowing what I know now about training.

Hansons (#Math)
6 days a week with three hard days and three easy days. The plan's basis is four pillars:

1) Don't have a single run exceed 35% of the total weekly mileage.
2) Don't have a single run last longer than 3 hours
3) Follow a Lydiard periodization training schedule with paces divergent in the beginning and getting closer to race day pace as the plan progresses.
4) Cumulative Fatigue

These pillars come together to help form the basis of their plan.

Because I had done speed work with FIRST but wasn't ready for the 6 days per week or huge increase in mileage I made a hybrid "Intermediate" plan with speed work like Advances but lesser mileage like Beginner. The big draw to the plan (and most common thing associated with it) is the 16 mile long run. Because you run 6 days per week, it isn't necessary to complete massive single long runs. The goal of the long run is to improve Running Economy and stave off fatigue from the lactate threshold. The cumulative fatigue from all of the other days running provides this benefit without having to do 20-26 mile runs. However, it is a common misconception that the 16 mile long run is set in stone. As with all Hansons the plan's basis is in #Math. Which means if you run faster, then your long run is further. But if you evaluate the plan on the basis of duration, then no matter what your fitness level pace the long run should be around 2.5-3 hour max. For some that's 14 miles, others 16 miles, others 23 miles. This #Math exists in the tempo/speed/strength workouts as well for a basis of adjusting the suggested book plan.

This plan provided my biggest jump in abilities. It worked VO2max (speed), Lactate Threshold (Strength/Tempo), and Running Economy (Tempo/Long Run/Easy). The hardest part about Hansons is the time commitment. It's 6 days per week and involves many 70, 90, and 120 minute weekday runs. But the benefits can be tremendous. Honestly, I felt much less tired running Hansons than any of the other training plans I completed prior. Even though the plan is 6 days per week, it is very well balanced. Although, it does not specifically claim to follow an 80% easy/ 20% hard split, the plan does. By virtue of focusing primarily on paces almost always slower than marathon pace it allows the body to recover and elicit a laundry list of benefits of slow/easy running. Thus, EASY running is VERY good for you. I used to do hard running all the time and "survived the training" but once I switched to Hansons (but moreso an easy mileage matters mindset) I started "thriving because of the training" Said another way "save it for race day". The plan states you should always be able to do one more mile or one more interval. If you can't, or if your paces are fading, then you're trying too hard. Easy matters. It seems counterintuitive but it works.

Custom (#Lots of Math)
Through all of the research I've done, I have finally settled on custom training plans. I use the basis of all of the knowledge gained during these 4 years of running and scientific research to come up with my own philosophies on running and improvement. If you'd like to read my philosophies on running see these posts (clickable links):

How to build a custom plan - Part 1
How to build a custom plan - Part 2
Marathon is 99% Aerobic
VO2max, Lactate Threshold, Running Economy, and the Psychobiological Model
Speed work vs Endurance work: Which should I choose?
Learning to run by effort: Blind Running
Long Run of 16 miles: How can you possibly run 26.2 with only 16 in training?
Pac-Man Theory: Start Slow and then chomp, chomp, chomp

I have never used C25K, Higdon, or Nike.

-It doesn't define the easy days well enough. Most of us miss what easy really feels like. But it should be at paces around 60-120 seconds slower than marathon pace.
-The plan focuses on Anaerobic Threshold (mile pace), VO2max (5K/10K paces) and Running Economy (Long Run), but doesn't really have anything for the Lactate Threshold. For a marathon, I would focus more on Endurance work (again it's a 99% aerobic event which means slow running) which means more LT and Running Economy and less AT and VO2max. The AT and VO2max will not really help you much on race day for the marathon, whereas the LT and Running Economy play a vital role. Since AT and VO2max encompass two days a week each week, this plan becomes less useful then it should. Spending a block of time (say 20-30 weeks prior to the marathon) focusing on AT and VO2max can be helpful, but again LT and Running Economy are much more important.
-Doing SOOO much speed work (twice per week) can be really tough on the body. Unless you are gifted athletically, this will put most of us in a compromised risk zone for injuries. The speed days need to be kept further apart (like once per week).
-You never train at marathon pace. So how are you suppose to know what marathon pace feels like? While marathon pace on it's own is kind of in a grey zone physiologically it is a good idea to teach your body "what it feels like" or the effort of doing so.
-With such a fluid schedule, I imagine if someone were to "skip" a workout it would almost always likely be the "easy/recovery" day. This can be a massive pitfall. Continuously doing the hard days but skipping out on the easy days could imbalance the schedule immensely and could cause a higher risk for injury and not elicit the benefits you'd hope to gain. I always like to recommend skipping the hard days if you can't fit it in. Less benefits, but less risk. Better to enter race day slightly undertrained because you missed a hard day here or there, then never make it to the starting line because you're injured.

Another well written novel sir. Great reviews of different plans, and having done Nike before, I definitely agree. It is way too much speed work.

I had a LOT of the same thoughts as you on the Nike+ plans ... it mostly felt like the concept was "Go Beast Mode for three days and then do whatever the rest of the week, as long as you're doing something. Just do it!" and I like things to be more structured, but still with some flexibility. If that makes sense?

One of my "sole sisters"/BFFs here in town used the Nike+ plan to train for her first Marathon (St. Jude - last year). She was a consistent 1:35 half marathoner and regularly places in our local races, but her guy wanted her to take the leap to marathon, so she went with the 12-week plan. It wasn't easy and she hated running by the time they finished the Marathon, but she also just missed BQing by four minutes in her first-ever marathon. So, for some people it DOES work.

My husband has incorporated the two days of speedwork/fartlek and a day of "endurance" from this plan into his CrossFit workout regiment and he's really seen improvements in overall endurance. But where he struggles is with the pacing - like, he has no idea what PACE means. He doesn't care enough and isn't training for an endurance event to develop that level of understanding, but he would rather it be more basic in terms.

Another well written novel sir. Great reviews of different plans, and having done Nike before, I definitely agree. It is way too much speed work.

Thanks! You know me, always trying to be concise. It reminds me of the time... :mic: LOL!

I had a LOT of the same thoughts as you on the Nike+ plans ... it mostly felt like the concept was "Go Beast Mode for three days and then do whatever the rest of the week, as long as you're doing something. Just do it!" and I like things to be more structured, but still with some flexibility. If that makes sense?

One of my "sole sisters"/BFFs here in town used the Nike+ plan to train for her first Marathon (St. Jude - last year). She was a consistent 1:35 half marathoner and regularly places in our local races, but her guy wanted her to take the leap to marathon, so she went with the 12-week plan. It wasn't easy and she hated running by the time they finished the Marathon, but she also just missed BQing by four minutes in her first-ever marathon. So, for some people it DOES work.

My husband has incorporated the two days of speedwork/fartlek and a day of "endurance" from this plan into his CrossFit workout regiment and he's really seen improvements in overall endurance. But where he struggles is with the pacing - like, he has no idea what PACE means. He doesn't care enough and isn't training for an endurance event to develop that level of understanding, but he would rather it be more basic in terms.

But see that's what I'm saying. Your friend is a consistent 1:35 marathoner. Her McMillan predicted time under ideal conditions is 3:19. Worst case scenario your friend is 18-34 which puts her BQ at 3:35. Which means she could have run 16 minutes under BQ under ideal conditions. Now, I'll agree it was her first marathon and possibly pacing played a role because we all know how that goes. But she was clearly not lacking in speed (as shown by her 1:35 HM), what she likely lacked was endurance. And unfortunately the Nike plan doesn't really focus well enough on LT and Endurance in general. The other part of it is that she hated running by the time she finished suggests that the speed work was probably too much, but because she's gifted athletically she was able to survive the training plan. I can almost guarantee your friend that if she were to follow a marathon plan more focused on endurance and less on speed she would probably cross the finish line in around 3:15-3:20 under ideal conditions. Honestly, if she's at all interested in BQ'ing tell your friend she likely has all the tools to do it and just needs to give it one more try.

But I do agree with you (I was probably too harsh on it and I apologize), the Nike plan can work for some people as you've have pointed out with your husband. I think we agree that everyone has different specializations when it comes to running. In complete honesty, I am in awe of most of the run/walkers. They are WAY better at Lactate Threshold then I am. Some run/walkers are doing mile pace for a few minutes then walking break, then mile pace, then walking break and keep that up for a half-marathon or marathon. I know from my experience I CRUMBLE under this type of training. When I do speed work of intervals that total 10 miles at 8:22 it's hard, but if I continuously run 10 miles at 8:22 it's easy. Finding that specialization in yourself helps match the best training plan to each person. Some are good at pure speed, some at LT, some running economy, some mentally strong, some recovery, lots of different genetically possible specializations that assist in finding the right training plan for you.

@DopeyBadger it's amazing to see how much you improved overall since 2012. Other than that I just enjoyed the progression you had where you started to focus less on pace and more on #Math because I think it's something we all need to keep in mind.

Last edited:
@DopeyBadger it's amazing to see how much you improved overall since 2012. Other than that I just enjoyed the progression you had where you started to focus less on pace and more on #Math because I think it's something we all need to keep in mind.

I appreciate it! It has been a fun journey and a very eye opening experience. As many of us do, I went from "just run as hard as possible everyday" to delving into "why am I doing this workout, and what benefit will I receive from it?". When someone makes that transition it allows us to become more invested in the training plan and to really be set on reaping the benefits of said training.

Great thread thank you @Keels and @DopeyBadger! I have been stalking the other running thread- this brings it all together!
Superheros will be my 4th RD weekend this year and I am starting to plan mentally for Dopey in 2019. I will have just hit a certain life mile marker and what better way to deal with that reality than running 48.6 plus another 1.4 at WDW!
Thus I am been thinking through training plans and planning for POT's late next year. Time for a few less races and more strength/core training.
2019 doesn't really seem that far away.
But @Keels remember- you promised there would not be any Math!

Great thread thank you @Keels and @DopeyBadger! I have been stalking the other running thread- this brings it all together!
Superheros will be my 4th RD weekend this year and I am starting to plan mentally for Dopey in 2019. I will have just hit a certain life mile marker and what better way to deal with that reality than running 48.6 plus another 1.4 at WDW!
Thus I am been thinking through training plans and planning for POT's late next year. Time for a few less races and more strength/core training.

I promise I will leave the math to @DopeyBadger!!!

You can do it!

I promise I will leave the math to @DopeyBadger!!!

:teacher:

This thread is a great idea - so helpful to have all this info in one place!

I am about to start the Higdon Novice 2 Half Marathon plan ... which I feel a bit strange about because I am a true novice (first half marathon coming up!) but I like that the Novice 2 plan has some runs scheduled at "race pace" and I also like the schedule of mid-week runs and the fact that the long run builds up to a max of 12 miles (instead of 10 in the Novice 1 plan) - that will give me more confidence in my ability to finish the half marathon I think.

Anyway ... I have a question related to this: when doing a training run at "race pace", what is the best way to decide what your race pace should be? If I put my recent 10k time into the McMillan Running calculator, it will give me some predictions for my half marathon time and pace. Is that a good pace to use for training runs that are supposed to be at race pace? Also, I assume that "race pace" is kind of the same as doing a "tempo" run?

Oh oh oh, can I play, too?! I need to check the runDisney section more often, it seems - I keep missing threads!

My training history: as a kid/teen/young adult, I loved to run. And I was fast! But I couldn't run long before my lungs felt like wet cement and I couldn't seem to get any oxygen in. And my school didn't have a track & field program, so I played soccer, which was perfect: lots of sprinting and recovering. I was finally diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma in my late 20s and outfitted with an inhaler, which helped a lot with the breathing thing, and running became the base of my daily fitness routine: nothing long and I never measured or timed, but I was probably doing a mile or so a day. I also figured out that if I blended walking and running in what we now know as intervals, I could keep going longer without my lungs protesting, so I was Gallowaying loooong before i knew who the heck Jeff Galloway was, lol!

When I decided to start distance racing, I started with a 5K plan from the Mayo Clinic that was pretty close to a Galloway 5K plan. When I decided to tackle my first double-digit race, I started with Galloway's 10-Miler plan, but never finished due to injury. Once healed, I started using Galloway's half plan, but got injured again. I made it through that race, but wound up tweaking the plan a lot. I can't honestly say if I was injured because Galloway's plan didn't work, or if I simply was biting off too much too soon. But I can say that in the years since, I've made my own training plans and have seen better times, fewer injuries, and a lot more strength. I still do the run-walk thing, but my plans are a mix of Galloway's every-other-week cut-backs, Higdon's higher mid-week mileage and back-to-back run days, and McMillan's speed/hill/tempo drills. And I cross train with yoga, Pilates, and ballet on non-run days. That seems to be the best mix of stuff for my needs, but I only figured that out by experimenting over a number of years!

Anyway ... I have a question related to this: when doing a training run at "race pace", what is the best way to decide what your race pace should be? If I put my recent 10k time into the McMillan Running calculator, it will give me some predictions for my half marathon time and pace. Is that a good pace to use for training runs that are supposed to be at race pace? Also, I assume that "race pace" is kind of the same as doing a "tempo" run?

Yes, if you have a recent 10k, the McMillan calculator is a good way to get an estimate for your half marathon goal pace. For now, I would use that estimated pace for your race pace runs. Then, as you get further along in your training, especially after you complete other 5k/10k races, you can reevaluate and decide if you need to speed up/slow down based on your fitness at that point.

"Tempo" is a somewhat loosely defined term in the running community, and each training program may have a different definition. For some plans, tempo runs are true lactate threshold runs, so you would run at a pace that you can keep up for about one hour. Oftentimes, you would run at this lactate threshold pace for 15-20 minutes, but some plans have you do intervals at this pace. Other plans use tempo to describe runs at your goal half marathon or marathon pace. The key thing is to make sure you understand what tempo means for the specific training plan you are using.

Wow wish this was around when I started. Me personally, I started couch to 5k, then convinced myself running was mental (Hate Running), so went for a half and used the Galloway method. Worked great for me (planning on using it again for my next one in April).

Yes, if you have a recent 10k, the McMillan calculator is a good way to get an estimate for your half marathon goal pace. For now, I would use that estimated pace for your race pace runs. Then, as you get further along in your training, especially after you complete other 5k/10k races, you can reevaluate and decide if you need to speed up/slow down based on your fitness at that point.

"Tempo" is a somewhat loosely defined term in the running community, and each training program may have a different definition. For some plans, tempo runs are true lactate threshold runs, so you would run at a pace that you can keep up for about one hour. Oftentimes, you would run at this lactate threshold pace for 15-20 minutes, but some plans have you do intervals at this pace. Other plans use tempo to describe runs at your goal half marathon or marathon pace. The key thing is to make sure you understand what tempo means for the specific training plan you are using.

This is just what I needed to know - thank you!

I'm getting in on this late, but what great information!

I've only used the Galloway plans, which I've used successfully for many half marathons, marathons, and Disney challenges. I like how each races has multple experience levels. I started with his "beginner" plans, moved to the "finish upright" plans, and now I'm using the "time improvement" plans.

They are great for beginner runners, like I was almost 6 years ago, the mid-week requirements are not overwhelming, and the long runs are only every other week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter