Trans couple too afraid to go to Florida - how accepting is Disneyland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol no it’s the truth

So if something doesn't make mainstream news, it doesn't happen?
Tell that to all of the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women whose stories never make the news.
https://mmiwusa.org/

It's sadly extremely common for crimes against minority groups (including the LGBTQ community) to not make mainstream news. Or if they do, it's a momentarily blip.

Auuuhhh, what?

Out of 1+ million people, the biggest news story was simple vandalism of a Pride flag.

Now if the phantom rampant crimes were occurring described before, then surely we would be inundated with news stories. The fact is it was a statement parroted by someone because they heard it said from someone else.

So, where are these targeted hate crime homicides? They’re exceptionally rare. If they weren’t, I wouldn’t be staring at a video of a doorbell camera showing a flag being vandalized as the top story in a metro area, because that would be the least of the problems.

No one here has made mention that there are any rampant crimes taking place against LGBTQ+ people in Florida. This thread is about laws and the general sentiment against the LGBTQ+ community in Florida. Taking one days news in a tiny metro area (yes 1 million people across 2 counties is tiny...I live where there are 12 million people across my county and the neighboring one) is a terrible sample size. You can't just look at one day, in one location. Furthermore, aggressions don't always rise the level of violent crime, but they do serve the purpose of intimidating people, which is the goal of this type of oppression.

Florida is not okay. Not even a little bit.

ADL published this today
https://www.adl.org/resources/report/year-review-anti-lgbtq-hate-extremism-incidents-2022-2023

• Incidents were documented across 46 U.S. states and the District of Columbia, with California, Florida, New York and Texas seeing the highest total number of incidents.
Also interesting to add might be this one
https://florida.adl.org/hiss-exec-summary-english/

If there are more and more hate crimes against certain races or religions in Florida over the past decade, it is not a stretch to include hate crimes based on gender/sexuality to these figures.

If trans people in Florida were getting assaulted/hurt in hate crime attacks it would be all over the news. Each case would be extensively covered. There would be marches and vigils and lawyers showing up to grift off the victim. It’s not happening. As a whole people in this country (including Florida) are more accepting than they’ve ever been and although some may not agree with or understand the LGBTQIA’s movement they are not openly violent towards them.
Best post ever.

Ahh.. so opposing view points should not be allowed?
They are allowed, but the viewpoint may not always be relevant.

In my opinion, in this discussion the most relevant viewpoints are those of people who are part of the LGBTQ-community, especially the Floridian community.

The other viewpoints come from the sideline, where you have a different experience. You can still give your viewpoint, but it might not add much to the discussion.

My opinion in this is probably very irrelevant, being a cis white woman on the other side of the ocean, just participating because of the amount of friends/colleagues I have in the LGBTQ community.

On one hand, I agree with those saying that if there were so many hate crimes, we would hear more about it in the media. On the other hand we know crimes don't get reported every time or make it to the media. And we know figures of hate crimes are on the rise. And that alone can give a sense of unsafety.

In the end, all anyone can do is get as much information as you can and then make a decision with your head and your heart.

Not only does main street media not cover this, main street media is dying. Cable subscribers, small market TV newsrooms and newspapers just about everywhere are on the path to extinction, to all of our detriment I believe.
Very true and extremely sad.

As other have mentioned this isn't JUST about violent crimes or attacks being committed on LGBQT people, this is in response to laws that are hostile to a specific segment of the population.

I have a question for all the people who are making light of these fears...

Would you travel to a place that made it difficult to use a bathroom? Think about that... ANY time you needed to use a restroom you were going to be questioned or harassed? even be asked to produce identification to be able to use the restroom. Maybe of course you might be able to find the 1/100 gender neutral or family friendly restroom.... but imagine if EVERY time you wanted to nip in and take care of business you were going to run the possibility of being stopped and questioned about the appearance of your genitals. Intrusive?

Would you travel to a place where you would not be able to receive medical care? Where someone could refuse to treat you? What if your luggage was lost and you needed to refill a prescription that you take daily? How about traveling to a place where a pharmacist could refuse to refill your Dr. prescribed prescription?

It is not for anyone else to make light of someone's fears... people are scared. if you cannot be empathetic enough to sincerely listen and try to assuage them, then that is a sad reflection on your character....

Very true and extremely sad.
Nationally TV cable penetration has gone from around 60% to 30%. Sinclair just laid off a number of small market news and station staffs and is running just national network feeds in those local markets, and newspapers have been circling the drain for years.

The most interesting thing is what is happening in cable news. The universe of cable news viewers is shrinking as more people cut the cord so the existing cable news channels are scrambling to poach viewers from their competitors -- What happened at CNN this year is a prime example of this.

The unfortunate thing is that instead of vetted news by real journalists we're consuming more and more unvetted news from the blogosphere and Twitterverse.

We're in Delaware so WDW is significantly closer to us, but we're both way too afraid to set foot in Florida. My wife brought up the idea of going to Disneyland in California. How accepting are they? I just assume we'd be safer there than in Florida.
My family has had zero problems either place.

I'm not LGBTQAI+. I have an LGBTQAI+ non-binary child. They have flown to Fort Myers and Orlando and been in Boca Raton, St. Pete's, Tampa, Naples and a couple other places on several vacations with extended family and a friend group within the past year. Reported zero issues either trip, except for an old lady who called my kid too young to be travelling without a parent. :)

We all, as an immediate family, have done WDW multiple times, no issues with them or any of their gay friends. Because WDW is so large, we rarely (if ever?) venture out into other areas of Orlando. My DW and I have run around Orlando, and coming from a guy who used to live in the Twin Cities, I would rather be in Orlando at night. But, the Twin Cities is one of the most awful metropolitan areas on the face of the earth right now. It's very sad, because it is beautiful with all the lakes and rivers.

Next, we did DLR last year as an immediate family. We spent the weekend. Only spots we were at was LAX, DLH, DL and DCA. No other locations besides. No issues at DLR. Had a great trip. If you stay off-site at DLR, I have read and watched YouTube videos that there has been a slight increase in homelessness, drug use, etc. on Harbor Boulevard next to DLR. I cannot confirm or verify this information, personally. Because we stayed onsite, we never left the hotel, parks or DTD. General safety concerns or criminal concerns in the areas around and adjacent to DLR may be an issue and you should research/investigate it, if you intend to stay offsite or plan to leave the Disney campus.

As far as acceptance, I'm sorry to report that no matter where you go in the world, including America, you will find people that don't accept other people for a whole host of reasons. Just the other day, I had a LGBTQAI+ barista tell me to go to confession because he went to High School with my kid and knows we are Catholics and I used the wrong pronoun for him because I mentioned "They took my order." After months of staring at a "they/them" button, I didn't realize that the person was no longer non-binary and the pronoun button had changed on the apron to "he/him".

At least my kid defended me and told him bashing people's faith is wrong. Proud of them.

Last edited:
Anaheim (at least in the general vicinity of the parks) is not an unsafe area unless you define "seeing homeless people" as evidence of an area being unsafe. I have never once been bothered or approached by a homeless person in the resort area, and it's not like Florida doesn't have homeless people too.

I'd go to California, if nothing else for peace of mind. In the event something happens, you'll be in a better situation. I have no interest in giving anything in Florida my money until things improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter