Transfers from airports to hotels

tgropp

DIS Veteran
We are leaving for Hawaii in three weeks. We are spending five nights at Waikiki Beach, over to Maui, Kanappali Beach for five nights and then back to Oahu at Aulanai for five nights. We are renting a car to go to Aulanai but we need transportation from Honolulu airport to Waikiki and back and then OGG (Maui Airport) to the Westin Kanappali and back to the airport. Any recommendations on a reasonable fare from anyone's past experiences would be great. Thank You.

We are leaving for Hawaii in three weeks. We are spending five nights at Waikiki Beach, over to Maui, Kanappali Beach for five nights and then back to Oahu at Aulanai for five nights. We are renting a car to go to Aulanai but we need transportation from Honolulu airport to Waikiki and back and then OGG (Maui Airport) to the Westin Kanappali and back to the airport. Any recommendations on a reasonable fare from anyone's past experiences would be great. Thank You.

For Honolulu Airport to Waikiki hotel you could use a taxi, shuttle service like speedi shuttle, uber/lyft. For maui you might want to rent a car as Kaanapali is about an hour or so away from the airport. You could take a taxi or uber but it would be expensive. There might be a shuttle service but I am not sure.

We just returned from a Maui/Aulani split stay ourselves. I would highly recommend a rental car for Maui - there is so much to see and do, and while Kaanapali has a lot of resorts and restaurants there together, if you wanted to go even to Lahaina for dinner or a Luau it would be much easier and less expensive to have a rental car. I don’t know if you have been to Maui before but I definitely recommend visits to Haleakalā (volcano park) and the Iao Valley park. With only 5 days I don’t know that I’d bother with the Road to Hana, but it depends on your family’s interests. Near Kaanapali are a number of other famous beaches, some better for swimming and some for snorkeling. All of these adventures would be fairly easy drives in a rental car (except Haleakalā would be quite a distance, but worth it in my opinion).

I noticed a lot of Roberts Shuttles around the island on Maui so you might want to check their rates. About 10 days prior to our departure I was finally able to get what I considered a decent price on our rental car through Costco travel - our rate dropped by nearly half. We used Alamo as usual and have never had a problem with them.

On Oahu we used Charley’s Taxi to get to and from Aulani - they have a negotiated $55 flat rate per one way trip to/from Aulani and the airport. We had already been to Aulani the year prior and only had two nights so we weren’t going to be wasting precious Aulani time sightseeing on Oahu and didn’t need a car (which were sold out anyway, as we were traveling over Christmas). The Charley’s Taxis were minivans and clean inside - drivers were good and there was no trouble with the flat rate fare. I know they also offer flat rates to Waikiki so you might want to check there too.

We did a similar itinerary. When we arrived at Honolulu airport, we just got our luggage and made our way to the taxi stand at the airport to hop into a cab to our Waikiki hotel. When we left our Waikiki hotel to go back to the airport, we just had the bellman call up a cab from the hotel's taxi stand. A taxi is probably not the cheapest option, but it was fast and available on demand which is what we were looking for. I don't recall exactly how much it was, but I don't remember the price being exorbitant. $50 each way, I'm guessing?

For Maui, we also stayed at the Westin Kaanapali. Because its a 45+ minute drive, we arranged SuperShuttle. The cost was reasonable, but it was shared transportation with other resorts in the Kaanapali area. I believe we stopped at the Hyatt to drop others off first, so it was about an hour's drive. On the way back, we had to call the day prior to schedule our pick-up time. They were right on time and had already picked up other passengers before us. We got back to the airport in plenty of time. The only negative about SuperShuttle is that we did have one minor issue on the way in - they had us down as arriving at the airport for an hour later than we actually arrived. Because of that, they had no room for us and we had to wait about 25 minutes for the next shuttle. I'm sure this was a fluke, but next time I'd verify everything before.

A lot of people might say to rent a car on Maui. It was a pretty easy drive, so that's not a bad idea. We didn't have a car while there and utilized the free shuttle to Lahaina from the Westin. Its also walking distance to Whaler's Village next door. We were just there for 3 nights so we managed fine without a car, but for any longer, I'd either want a car or would have had to book organized tours with transportation included.

Enjoy the Westin! Out of the 4 resorts we stayed at in Hawaii, all of which are comparable, I'd say the Westin was tied with Aulani as our favorite. We enjoyed the pool at the Westin the most.

we can't recommend Charley's taxis enough! Their service and staff are amazing. Even when booking around the island, always fast pick up times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter