transport edinburgh to york to london

nycdisneygal

I went ahead and signed up for another kid!
First time to UK since 2010 and first time out of london. There are 7 of us including elderly and others who cant handle luggage as well. I am paying for the trip so the hotels etc itself are already adding up! Need advice on managing transport. We start in Edinburgh for few nights then go to Edinburgh to York (to stay for 2 nights). then We will go from York to London. I looked into Send my bags to send luggage from Edinburgh to London. Anyone use this? We have laundry facilities avalable to hoping not too much luggage but my sister alone has half a suitcase of products related to medical things (and she cant carry heavy). So original plan is train (regular class not first) but has anyone done private transfer. ANy companies to use? IF we have a lot of luggage is better to book first class on train? Its very expensive! Any advice or ideas are welcome!

First time to UK since 2010 and first time out of london. There are 7 of us including elderly and others who cant handle luggage as well. I am paying for the trip so the hotels etc itself are already adding up! Need advice on managing transport. We start in Edinburgh for few nights then go to Edinburgh to York (to stay for 2 nights). then We will go from York to London. I looked into Send my bags to send luggage from Edinburgh to London. Anyone use this? We have laundry facilities avalable to hoping not too much luggage but my sister alone has half a suitcase of products related to medical things (and she cant carry heavy). So original plan is train (regular class not first) but has anyone done private transfer. ANy companies to use? IF we have a lot of luggage is better to book first class on train? Its very expensive! Any advice or ideas are welcome!
I live in Edinburgh. If you would like any suggestions for things to do or restaurants I would be happy to help.

This is an interesting alternative to the typical tourist attractions to visit. https://www.rosslynchapel.com/visit/

Made famous by the Divici Code movie, the chapel was built in 1446. Linked to the Knights Templar and the Holy Crusades. Oliver Cromwell Occupied the Cathedral during the English Civil War.

Will send you some restaurant suggestions in a separate message.

This is an interesting alternative to the typical tourist attractions to visit. https://www.rosslynchapel.com/visit/

Made famous by the Divici Code movie, the chapel was built in 1446. Linked to the Knights Templar and the Holy Crusades. Oliver Cromwell Occupied the Cathedral during the English Civil War.

Will send you some restaurant suggestions in a separate message.
thank you!! My daughter is into ""medieval things" and will turn 18 while in Edinburgh!

I would probably stick with the train for both the Edinburgh to York and the York to London legs. Note that cheap tickets for trains typically get released 12 weeks before and can sell out quickly on popular routes, so if it's still over 3 months before you travel, it might be worth noting that date and being online not long after they become available. Obviously travelling at peak/commuter times of day will mean a much higher fare, so being willing to be flexible about departure times can save you a lot of money, especially if you go first class (which I would probably recommend if the price difference isn't ridiculous).

I'd also search for tickets via nationalrail.co.uk - this is the overarching website run by all the rail companies in the UK and while it doesn't sell tickets itself, it will give you a link to the specific company for that route who you will be able to buy a ticket from. Most of the other rail websites that sell tickets (such as Trainline) will charge you a booking fee on top of the fare, but going via the actual rail company it will not.

One other thing to note is that whether you are going standard or first class, there is no checking in of luggage like there is on trains in the US - there will be luggage racks in most coaches and you are expected to place your cases in there yourself, although you should be able to find some staff to assist you if your party requests assistance, especially given there are medical reasons as you've posted.

thank you!! My daughter is into ""medieval things" and will turn 18 while in Edinburgh!
This is another unusual experience. https://museum.rcsed.ac.uk/the-collection
Based in the city centre. The museum was opened in 1828 and displays 500 years of medical history and exhibits. It’s not for the faint hearted and has older samples of human anatomy on display. Edinburgh was a pioneer in surgery and medical treatments. It’s a very interesting visit if you are interested in the history of surgery.

This is a cracking place to visit. https://gleneagles.com/townhouse/?g...MI-6zvuauQhQMVCpJQBh0ALAxvEAAYASAAEgIIufD_BwE
The Townhouse is in the city centre. it’s a members club but non members are welcome. I like visiting for a coffee, not too expensive and very different from Starbucks. The building is stunning!
actually funnny you mentioned this as i had been thinking the Spence at gleneagles for the 18th bday dinner.
Any good indian? My family is indian and we found exceptional indian in London and wondering if we can find in edinburgh.
looking for date night also as my hubby willl need a break from 10 days with my parents. Also any fun pub for her 18th bday. Can I get a cider and black in Edinburgh (thats my fave drink at Rose and Crown in epcot!).

actually funnny you mentioned this as i had been thinking the Spence at gleneagles for the 18th bday dinner.
Any good indian? My family is indian and we found exceptional indian in London and wondering if we can find in edinburgh.
looking for date night also as my hubby willl need a break from 10 days with my parents. Also any fun pub for her 18th bday. Can I get a cider and black in Edinburgh (thats my fave drink at Rose and Crown in epcot!).
This is an interesting Indian to try, I love to go here for breakfast…dinner is also good. https://www.dishoom.com/edinburgh/
This is a great pub https://www.montpeliersedinburgh.co.uk/ popular will all age groups.

I live in Edinburgh. If you would like any suggestions for things to do or restaurants I would be happy to help.
I bought our edinburgh to york train tix 1stclass through lner. They did not askfor anyone's names.I have the tix though. do i need to add names?

I bought our edinburgh to york train tix 1stclass through lner. They did not askfor anyone's names.I have the tix though. do i need to add names?
No need. As long as you have a ticket for everyone it’s ok. The only time this could be an issue would be if you bought the tickets using some type of travel card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter