Trash will now be taken every day

If the trash is supposed to be taken out, it had better be. If not, then it is nothing more than an opportunity to look in the room. If they knock and state trash and towel, then I would except both. I know they will raise our dues for this, so I will except at the very least that the trash will be attended to. I don't want to pay more in dues for them just to look in the room, but I wouldn't put it past Disney to try to do just that.

It's pretty clear that Disney is entering the room to look around due to possible liability issues, DVC added the daily trash removal to soften the objections. We don't need daily trash and usually we take out our own trash if we need to.

:earsboy: Bill

If the trash is supposed to be taken out, it had better be. If not, then it is nothing more than an opportunity to look in the room. If they knock and state trash and towel, then I would except both. I know they will raise our dues for this, so I will except at the very least that the trash will be attended to. I don't want to pay more in dues for them just to look in the room, but I wouldn't put it past Disney to try to do just that.
LOL, yep ... just an excuse to enter the room. We just completed 4 nights at Copper Creek. On the 2nd morning, our "sleep-in morning" with the "Room Occupied" door hanger clearly displayed, the doorbell rang and was followed by a sharp (forceful) knock on the door. We let her in, while we were sipping coffee wearing our PJs. Don't you know .. there was still a basket full of trash remaining in one of the bathrooms after she left.

We mused, "Hey, if you are going to use the pretext of taking out the trash ... how about if you really do take out the trash???" Sigh. What shenanigans.

Our response to the problem is simple: We no longer tip housekeeping.

LOL, yep ... just an excuse to enter the room. We just completed 4 nights at Copper Creek. On the 2nd morning, our "sleep-in morning" with the "Room Occupied" door hanger clearly displayed, the doorbell rang and was followed by a sharp (forceful) knock on the door. We let her in, while we were sipping coffee wearing our PJs. Don't you know .. there was still a basket full of trash remaining in one of the bathrooms after she left.

We mused, "Hey, if you are going to use the pretext of taking out the trash ... how about if you really do take out the trash???" Sigh. What shenanigans.

Our response to the problem is simple: We no longer tip housekeeping.
Totally unacceptable. And we will pay more for "daily trash service". :headache:

Totally unacceptable.
It is "just life." Try to roll with it. I earnestly hope that DVC will meet your every expectations ... but honestly, it is only a hope.

Our recent visit was like every visit before: Lots of glitches; lots of face time with engineering.
  • The front door was warped, preventing it from closing without a measure of force on the door handle. Engineering required 3 visits to file things down and get the latch to close securely.
  • The microwave kept resetting, sometimes remaining "in-op" for several hours between resets. Engineering never understood the root cause but kept tinkering until it finally remained powered on.
  • The pocket door on the guest shower room has no latch and leaves a 1" gap .. hope that doesn't bother anyone's sense of privacy?
  • The audio bar on the living room TV wasn't hooked up ... but we fixed that for them. Engineering noticed our changes when installing the DVD player that is no longer considered a standard room feature.
As related to housekeeping ...
  • Our unit did not include hot pads (those nifty squares used for protecting your hands when removing a hot dish from the oven). We used the kitchen towels as our workaround.
  • The guest shower never received any shampoo.
  • There were no hand towels except for the guest bath. Not sure why they didn't place some in either the master bath or guest shower room?
  • The unit was missing one TV remote.
  • And, as stated earlier ... the daily "trash service" is simply a ruse that may, or may not, result in trash being removed from your unit.
Even so, we loved our unit and were again reminded that we made a good decision when we bought into Disney's timeshare many, many years ago. Hope you will be able to say the same!

Last edited:

It is "just life." Try to roll with it. I earnestly hope that DVC will meet your every expectations ... but honestly, it is only a hope.

Our recent visit was like every visit before: Lots of glitches; lots of face time with engineering.
  • The front door was warped, preventing it from closing without a measure of force on the door handle. Engineering required 3 visits to file things down and get the latch to close securely.
  • The microwave kept resetting, sometimes remaining "in-op" for several hours between resets. Engineering never understood the root cause but kept tinkering until it finally remained powered on.
  • The pocket door on the guest shower room has no latch and leaves a 1" gap .. hope that doesn't bother anyone's sense of privacy?
  • The audio bar on the living room TV wasn't hooked up ... but we fixed that for them. Engineering noticed our changes when installing the DVD player that is no longer considered a standard room feature.
  • Our unit did not include hot pads (those nifty squares used for protecting your hands when removing a hot dish from the oven). We used the kitchen towels as our workaround.
  • There were no hand towels except for the guest bath. Not sure why they didn't place some in either the master bath or guest shower room?
  • And, as stated earlier ... the daily "trash service" is simply a ruse that may, or may not, result in trash being removed from your unit.
Even so, we loved our unit and were again reminded that we made a good decision when we bought into Disney's timeshare many, many years ago. Hope you will be able to say the same!
Thanks. I know, gotta have a hopeful and positive vibe going in. And I only have a "getting your feet wet" contract anyways.

I agree. We’ve stayed maybe sixty, seventy times on points. Sometimes you get unlucky. This last trip, I had a cursed room as management called it. First night—no heat. Next morning—no hot water. Later that day—no electricity. It was wild and I had to laugh. In every case, management addressed the issue and fixed it promptly. Once the electricity went out, I did carry the issue up the chain of command and was reimbursed one night’s stay, plus multiple fastpasses.

The daily checks were a non issue over my seventeen nights. I’m still abundantly satisfied with my DVC. After my one night at Universal, I was thrilled to return to my beloved Disney.

We will be at HHI soon and VGF in the fall, I plan to ask the front desk for no knocks/calls before 11 am. We are not from the est time zone. We are not rope droppers, we like to sleep in, hit the parks around lunch time and stay late for the fireworks.

When you are vacation you are entitled to sleep in.

We will be at HHI soon and VGF in the fall, I plan to ask the front desk for no knocks/calls before 11 am. We are not from the est time zone. We are not rope droppers, we like to sleep in, hit the parks around lunch time and stay late for the fireworks.

I agree, problem is housekeeping doesn't seem to communicate well with the front desk.

:earsboy: Bill

I put the sign up when I was in, took it down while I was out. We’re park commandos and gone for large parts of the day.

Trash was removed while we were gone every day of trip. We had trash service each day, we were never disturbed while in the room.

ETA: BCV.

Poly says they can’t guarantee connecting rooms but they’ll make it their highest priority. That should be the case here. While we won’t guarantee we won’t knock on a door with a sign out, so long as there are reasonable periods each day with it down, we’ll make it our highest priority to not disturb guests:

So much so that I think it should be policy that IF the door has to be knocked because of sign staying up, it should be done by a supervisor only. Front line employees should not be allowed to knock on a sign for a security check/trash service.

Last edited:
So much so that I think it should be policy that IF the door has to be knocked because of sign staying up, it should be done by a supervisor only. Front line employees should not be allowed to knock on a sign for a security check/trash service.

Uh, no. Supervisors have better things to do than knock on doors in non-emergency situations.

Uh, no. Supervisors have better things to do than knock on doors in non-emergency situations.
Completely disagree.

This is where the fire is going to be from this policy. An ounce of supervisor prevention will be more than worth a pound of supervisor cure. I say this as a supervisor (in a customer service oriented industry). I’d much rather proactively fix a problem before it’s a problem than engage in service recovery. And if it’s going to potentially become an issue, as a supervisor, I feel like it’s my job to run interference for my employees; that’s a primary mission.

I know if my sign is up and my door gets knocked on for a security check, the supervisor is going to become involved anyway.

Besides. Disney didn’t think it was a big deal to add duties to the front line workers. Adding some of that responsibility to the supervisors is a good step towards validating how resources are used up the chain of command; supervisor complaints about the time management constraints of the policy are going to carry more weight.

Last edited:
It will take far less time for a supervisor to handle one complaint than for that same supervisor to run around a large resort and knock on every room that happens to have a room occupied sign out. Especially when the rules about entering are clearly detailed on the room occupied sign.

1712227-disney-rooms.jpg

Last edited:
It will take far less time for a supervisor to handle one complaint than for that same supervisor to run around a large resort and knock on every room that happens to have a room occupied sign out. Especially when the rules about entering are clearly detailed on the room occupied sign.

1712227-disney-rooms.jpg
I suggested a policy earlier which I think should be adopted. Room checks between 8-10am, 3-5pm, or 6-8 pm.

ONLY if the sign is up all three times does the door get knocked by a supervisor between 6-8pm.

Then. Educate on the idea that if you correctly manage your sign usage (only leave it out while in the room), then chances are you’ll never be disturbed.

It doesn’t really matter that Disney printed on the sign that they reserve the right to disrupt your vacation. It doesn’t make it right if they actually do so and it’s going to be a much bigger issue if they don’t try to defuse this from the start.

If I were an executive thinking through this situation, I wouldn’t want the front line people doing that door knock. That’s a job that I’d assign to someone paid to deal with complaints. Because that knock is going to get complaints. As it should.

“We warned you that we’re going to engage in crappy customer service; it’s right on the sign” - that doesn’t excuse crappy customer service.

As I said though. Finishing a 5 night stay and the trash was pulled every day and nobody knocked, called, or paged me. It can be implemented right. For me this trip, it was.

Last edited:
So, say they don't knock on a door with the sign out until after 6pm. Not much of a security check for the sake of liability if you know what time they'll be coming.

So, say they don't knock on a door with the sign out until after 6pm. Not much of a security check for the sake of liability if you know what time they'll be coming.
Many of the other hotel chains are instituting policies that a supervisor checks if sign is left out for longer than 12 hours.

That’s a 12 hour window to do mischief as part of policy.

Checking in daily isn’t the same as random checks. Random checks are a whole order of a different animal. If that’s the case, then Disney should be knocking on some doors at 3am, just in case.

Many of the other hotel chains are instituting policies that a supervisor checks if sign is left out for longer than 12 hours.

That’s a 12 hour window to do mischief as part of policy.

Checking in daily isn’t the same as random checks. Random checks are a whole order of a different animal. If that’s the case, then Disney should be knocking on some doors at 3am, just in case.

Hope the supervisor is bringing security with them after 12 hours.

I also wondering if during some of the more extensive renovations if they will be installing more security cameras in the hallways of the resorts.

Hope the supervisor is bringing security with them after 12 hours.

I also wondering if during some of the more extensive renovations if they will be installing more security cameras in the hallways of the resorts.
Normally, these checks/trash pickups were completed in the morning. If we left and came back at noon, it was done.

Under the current policy, they aren’t going to check twice in a day. Not with the manpower they’ve allotted.

So. If they check the room at 10am, and most likely won’t start checking again until morning housekeeping ramps up at about 8am the next day, that’s already a 22 hr gap virtually guaranteed between checks.

Throw an occupied sign on the door the next morning and they likely won’t come back until afternoon. That’s more than 24 hrs between checks.

This policy can never be designed to catch somebody in the act of building a sniper’s nest. As somebody suggested earlier in the thread, it’s the equivalent of a lock on the front door: it might provide the insurance companies with some piece of mind, and it’ll probably deter someone looking for a less secure theater, but it’s not going to prevent somebody determined to act.

Nor does it need to do so.

After 9/11, crashing passenger planes into buildings became a practical impossibility. Even on 9/11 it became impossible; as the 4th plane passengers became aware of what was happening, they prevented the attack even if they didn’t save the plane. No plane hijacker in the West today would be allowed to proceed to their targets by passive passengers hoping to be negotiated to eventual freedom. This is a different world than 9/10/01.

Just as the attempted shoe bomber means that you have to take your shoes off at the airport. Not likely how that’s attempted again in the future.

I’m not sure if the hotel industry has done enough to prevent another attack. I know this policy is only a gesture that sacrifices more in privacy than it gains in security. But still: Just as consumer behavior changed the potential future success of another plane crashing into a building, I believe that it’ll have an effect here:

Would you attend a concert underneath high rise hotel room windows next week? The security of those venues will change, or their locations will change, because the promoters want people to come.

The bottom line is that with big events like Las Vegas and 9/11, the attack worked because it was unexpected. That’s not very reproducible. The next big attack that works will most likely work because its methodology will be unexpected.

In the meantime, we’ll prepare for the next battle by trying to fight the last one. Same as per usual.

Last edited:

I wouldn't worry much about HH, their customer service and cast members are probably the best within DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter