• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trash will now be taken every day

Disney does have a right to enter your room. That is a right all purveyors of hotels, timeshares, and rental housing retain. There will not be an overturning of case law on this because at the end of the day, Disney owns the property - you do not. (Yes, you have a deed, but its a lease). And because at the end of the day, Disney has a higher right to protect their property than you do to privacy on property they own that you have no need to be on. You have no inherent right for hotel accommodations.

Disney can call the sheriff if you deny them the right to enter the room because it is their room - and they have the right to evict you if you do not follow their policies. Case law is not going to overturn that either.
Agree. They tell you ahead of time that they have the right to enter your room (and that they will do so daily). The "Room Occupied" signs say so. I think that pretty much trumps any reasonable expectation of privacy a guest may cite.
G y

Disney does have a right to enter your room. That is a right all purveyors of hotels, timeshares, and rental housing retain. There will not be an overturning of case law on this because at the end of the day, Disney owns the property - you do not. (Yes, you have a deed, but its a lease). And because at the end of the day, Disney has a higher right to protect their property than you do to privacy on property they own that you have no need to be on. You have no inherent right for hotel accommodations.

Disney can call the sheriff if you deny them the right to enter the room because it is their room - and they have the right to evict you if you do not follow their policies. Case law is not going to overturn that either.
Me: “I’m going to steal from you.” (Takes your purse).

“But your Honor, it was perfectly reasonable for me to violate her rights because I warned her about it, first.”

~~~

Disney can do whatever they want in the room. But they can’t call law enforcement unless they had a reasonable cause to violate privacy. Just like a landlord can’t come into a rental unit anytime they want. There is a legal expectation of reasonable privacy in a hotel.

Either they ignore everything they might see, EVERYTHING (and that negates the reason for looking), or this is going to be tested.

And case law changes all the time. New precedents create new law and Las Vegas is a new precedent. But under current law, popping the door without good reason is going to cause whatever is found to be tossed out of court. And most likely, the policy of doing so to be tossed as well.

Time will tell.

But the Courts have historically respected your privacy rights while staying in a hotel, and I doubt they throw that baby out with the bath water. There’s going to be a middle ground carved out in law as a reaction to this. I probably won’t be completely happy with that, but My guess is neither will the hotels/insurance companies.

Last edited:
Of course they can call law enforcement - their reasonable cause is that you must be hiding something because you aren't letting them in your room. That, in itself, is suspicious when they have reserved the right to enter your room, informed you that they may enter your room, and are the property owners of said room.

My purse does not belong to you. Your room at a DVC resort belongs to Disney.

Our experience today at BLT is that trash was emptied when we were away, roughly between 11 AM, and 4PM.

Ugh. Right in the middle of naptime for us BLT owners. Hopefully if we clearly communicate with them they will be flexible with when they come.

For what it's worth, I do not think anyone was attempting to attack you, rather trying to figure out what you may be seeing that others are not.

Since there is no way to easily identify the bad folks, there's really no other choice. The guy in Vegas was a frequent guest of the hotel and to this day nobody seems to know his motivation. There have been school shootings, workplace shootings, public bombings...few of which could have been stopped with mere profiling. (And the ACLU typically has a field day with profiling.)

Room damage could be determined after guests leave...though I've yet to hear any actual stories of people being charged-back for damage. To hotels, everything but the most blatantly destructive acts are considered the cost of doing business. Purchases can be more effectively tracked a dozen other ways: MagicBands, ADRs, room chargebacks, credit card records, etc.

Disney has better things to do than send clipboard-toting Cast Members to 30,000 rooms, nosing around for personal info. I guarantee you these people aren't going to be poking through suitcases or noting what brand of deodorant you use.

If you have concerns, make arrangements for them to come while you are in the room. Disney has already said they'll accommodate that. But it appears Hilton hotels are adopting similar policies, some in Vegas already have including Wynn and MGM Grand properties. I'll be shocked of most hotel chains don't soon have internal policies dictating that they visit every room on a daily basis. In most cases, it will just be usual daily housekeeping visits. And that's exactly what this is shrouded as--a daily room visit to empty trash.

Throughout the hospitality industry, I suspect the practice of hanging the DND tag and not being bothered for days is quickly ending.

I realize some people are willing to trade personal security for privacy. But hotels and other businesses cannot always afford to respect those wishes. Criminals are the first ones who would raise their hands to opt out. Don't expect MY family to remain at risk because the guy one floor above us wants to do lord-knows-what while holed up privately in his room for a week.

So what exactly are the housekeepers going to be looking for when they take out the trash?!
IF someone wanted to hide something, couldn't they hide it in their luggage, the in-room safe, or in the closet?!
Will they have to check the closet?!
i am not against them checking, but I don't understand how it would ever catch anything, as a Criminal would know about the security policy!

So what exactly are the housekeepers going to be looking for when they take out the trash?!
IF someone wanted to hide something, couldn't they hide it in their luggage, the in-room safe, or in the closet?!
i am not against them checking, but I don't understand how it would ever catch anything, as a Criminal would know about the security policy!

It's more about liability and deterrence than actually catching anything.
If someone knows that their room will be checked, they may be more "gun-shy" about bringing anything illegal in the first place. If they do bring it anyway, hide it well, and then use something to cause harm, Disney can at least say theybhad security measures in place to try to prevent something like that from happening.

To use the Vegas shooting as a specific example, guy had 3-4 days of total privacy during which he was able to stockpile 20+ weapons. He killed 58 people and injured nearly 500 others.

With someone walking into his room daily, maybe he doesn't get 22 guns into the room. If he has to hide the weapons every day to avoid security, maybe he doesn't have enough flank the entire courtyard with semi-automatic weapons and map-out his entire move. Maybe there are FEWER than 58 deaths and 500 injuries. Maybe he forgets to tuck one of the weapons away and a housekeeper is able to alert security, averting the entire disaster.

Or maybe the deterrent is enough to make him choose another target, another plan, or just scrap it entirely.

At Disney, I don't know who will be checking the rooms or exactly what their training will be. But by all accounts, the primary goal is simply to put a staff presence in every room daily. That's all. I don't expect to hear stories of guests walking in on staff members rifling through luggage. Disney isn't looking to "profile" more than 100,000 guests who stay in their 30K hotel rooms daily. IMO, the thinking is "lets increase our presence...lets keep our eyes open ('see something, say something')...lets make sure people who want to do harm don't have unfettered access to thousands of guests who look to us for protection."

Until proven otherwise, I'm going to assume they want this to be as invisible to guests as possible. Disney DOESN'T WANT to barge in on sleeping or showering guests. My assumption is that if I leave the room at 10am with no "room occupied" sign on the door, by the time I return at 2pm my trash will be emptied, thus meeting the daily visit requirement. End of story.

To use the Vegas shooting as a specific example, guy had 3-4 days of total privacy during which he was able to stockpile 20+ weapons. He killed 58 people and injured nearly 500 others.

With someone walking into his room daily, maybe he doesn't get 22 guns into the room. If he has to hide the weapons every day to avoid security, maybe he doesn't have enough flank the entire courtyard with semi-automatic weapons and map-out his entire move. Maybe there are FEWER than 58 deaths and 500 injuries. Maybe he forgets to tuck one of the weapons away and a housekeeper is able to alert security, averting the entire disaster.
That is actually in question.

Some reports are that the hotel had full access. Which means he set up in one day.

Regarding the last post with the article from Houston:

I understand why Disney is doing what they’re doing.

If the issue were just security, that’d be one thing. It’s more complicated than that. It’s balancing security with privacy.

The TSA can do what they want. The have the full coercive power of the government to back them up and could care less about keeping you as a customer. You’re gonna pay your taxes no matter what.

Disney is different. Yes they are a private company, but they aren’t free players. They are bound by rules just like any other provider of accommodations. Plus, unlike the TSA, they really do have to care about how things go down with their customers.

It’s a tough position to be in.

Anytime you have to balance competing interests, there’s going to be push and pull from both sides. That’s why this thread is so long.

Last edited:
Some reports are that the hotel had full access. Which means he set up in one day.

Or, he hid stuff.

Apparently he also went back to his residence 80 miles away sometime during that period, and then returned to Vegas.

News reports are so all over the place trying to make sense out of this guy, that they contradict themselves over the actual details.

Or, he hid stuff.

Apparently he also went back to his residence 80 miles away sometime during that period, and then returned to Vegas.

News reports are so all over the place trying to make sense out of this guy, that they contradict themselves over the actual details.

You are probably right, he had hidden his stash. Why leave it out with a chance of housekeeping seeing it?

For us we are not happy about the daily visit. Until the DND signs were removed they stayed on the whole time. We looked after TT and housekeeping ourselves, just got clean towels and sheets off housekeepers.

One of the managers at The Boardwalk confirmed today the directive to security check every room every day was from head office in California. The managers and staff were not happy about it but had no choice. She also said it was brought in after Las Vegas shooting and the TT was just an excuse to enter the room. If staff were not allowed to enter within the 24 hr time period security would be called. She also said there was no option to opt out of the check.

We are here now on a 17 night visit. We’ve stayed at BWV and AK. This thread is much ado about nothing. I agree that the purpose behind it is security. I also suspect that daily checks may satisfy some insurance requirements.

The fact is the trash collection/room check takes seconds and is unobtrusive. Staff enters, empties the trash and leaves. We are often in the room when this occurs. No one is barging in. The gentleman knocks and waits. I answer the door—just as I would in my own home. No one is rifling through my stuff. We haven’t been using the room occupied sign and the above has been our experience.

Someone said they feel as though they are being treated like a criminal. Really, if you are so easily offended, perhaps airport travel and hotel stays are not for you. There are other vacation options that provide less disturbance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter