Travel Changes?

While I agree communication is important (and was not handled properly on those March trips to England/France and Australia), ABD and any other company shouldn't be expected to make public statements or posts on their website. Communication should be between the company and each individual guest. As I said before, ~hopefully~, they are learning from their mistakes, but just considering my own situation, I am not prepared to complain about Nat Geo not communicating properly about a trip that doesn't depart until June. They have plenty of other guests that they need to deal with, and I just have to wait it out until it's "my turn".
That is *not* it. I totally didn't expect to get an answer publicly, or on ABD's website. My TA contacted them multiple times on my behalf, and all they ever told her, until the day it was cancelled was "We're keeping an eye on it, but the trip is a 'Go'." Even after it was obviously NOT a 'Go' due to what was going on in France. There was NO real communication between the company and each individual guest (or their representative). That's the problem.

If a customer has any concern about losing their money because of some unforeseen crisis or financial hardship that's beyond their control, then that's what travel insurance is for.
Well, except for the fact that the majority of travel insurance does NOT cover any of this. It doesn't cover cancellation by your provider (only covers if the provider goes out of business) and doesn't cover epidemics/pandemics. People are caught between a rock and a hard place even if they did everything right.

Sayhello

Let me rephrase - once we have a vaccine, what are the odds of a pandemic like this happening again in our lifetimes? Until we have a vaccine, we are at risk for continued outbreaks. But this type of scenario at this scale is, statistically anyway, one of those "once in a lifetime" occurrences. It's much more likely there would be an outbreak that only affected one region of the world but not the entire globe.

No, this is hardly a once in a lifetime thing. We've had several global pandemics since 2000. This one seems like a once in a lifetime thing, but that's because it's highly contagious and thus we're taking more precautions. But we will likely have more global pandemics. Maybe not with a stop everyone response, but still. It will happen. But cross that bridge when we come to it.

That is *not* it. I totally didn't expect to get an answer publicly, or on ABD's website. My TA contacted them multiple times on my behalf, and all they ever told her, until the day it was cancelled was "We're keeping an eye on it, but the trip is a 'Go'." Even after it was obviously NOT a 'Go' due to what was going on in France. There was NO real communication between the company and each individual guest (or their representative). That's the problem.

Well, except for the fact that the majority of travel insurance does NOT cover any of this. It doesn't cover cancellation by your provider (only covers if the provider goes out of business) and doesn't cover epidemics/pandemics. People are caught between a rock and a hard place even if they did everything right.

Sayhello

I agree, your trip was one of the ones that was handled poorly. My comment about the website came from the fact that I've seen several posts in this thread to the effect of "ABD doesn't even have anything on their website." Personally, I don't think we should expect them to. Again, it wasn't directed at your specific experience, and you have good reason to be very upset with the way your trip was handled. My comments are directed towards trips scheduled in the next couple of months and the perception that ABD isn't "doing enough".

As far as travel insurance goes, no, it doesn't cover a pandemic. Maybe I'm mistaken, but if you have insurance (esp. CFAR), you should be able to cancel based on job loss and maybe even unexpected financial hardship. If a customer with a booked trip is waiting for ABD to cancel and absolutely NEEDS their money back right now and can't wait for ABD to cancel, then that is a scenario that could and should be addressed with travel insurance, assuming they have it.

Like I said, I understand that people are all of a sudden finding themselves in financially precarious positions. Heck, I was booked on a Disney Cruise and lost my job two months before before we were scheduled to depart (luckily, it was days before PIF). But, I'm not sure that is an issue ABD needs to specifically address given everything else that is going on.

Last edited:
No, this is hardly a once in a lifetime thing. We've had several global pandemics since 2000. This one seems like a once in a lifetime thing, but that's because it's highly contagious and thus we're taking more precautions. But we will likely have more global pandemics. Maybe not with a stop everyone response, but still. It will happen. But cross that bridge when we come to it.

I'm aware we've had pandemics before. As I said in my post that you quoted, there has not been one of this SCALE in our lifetimes. When was the last time essentially all global travel was shutdown due to a pandemic? I'm certainly not an expert, but it's my understanding that viruses with this particular combination of incubation time, ease of transmission, asymptomatic transmission, and deadly effects are pretty rare. I'm 40, my parents are almost 70, and we've certainly never seen anything like this.

My point wasn't to downplay other pandemics or to suggest one will never happen again, but to point out that the scale of this one is completely unprecedented. I would not be shocked to see global travel locked down like this again but not likely for this same reason (maybe for another, though - think 9/11). But, as we agree, we don't live our lives or plan our vacations around worst case scenarios.

I agree, your trip was one of the ones that was handled poorly. My comment about the website came from the fact that I've seen several posts in this thread to the effect of "ABD doesn't even have anything on their website." Personally, I don't think we should expect them to. Again, it wasn't directed at your specific experience.

As far as travel insurance goes, no, it doesn't cover a pandemic. Maybe I'm mistaken, but if you have insurance (esp. CFAR), you should be able to cancel based on job loss and maybe even unexpected financial hardship. If a customer with a booked trip is waiting for ABD to cancel and absolutely NEEDS their money back right now and can't wait for ABD to cancel, then that is a scenario that could and should be addressed with travel insurance, assuming they have it.

Like I said, I understand that people are all of a sudden finding themselves in financially precarious positions. Heck, I was booked on a Disney Cruise and lost my job two months before before we were scheduled to depart (luckily, it was days before PIF). But, I'm not sure that is an issue ABD needs to specifically address given everything else that is going on.
I read my travel insurance contract with AIG and it doesn't exclude a pandemic. I also had a friend read it and she didn't see it either. Dd has chronic severe asthma, so hopefully it will be enough to get us our money back (her physician said she is not permitted to travel currently). I didn't purchase CFAR, but if I did it would only get me 50% back, vs 100%.

Interestingly the policy also covers loss of job. However I am a contractor, which is excluded. As of last Friday I am no longer being paid, which I am fine with as I had been so slow I was feeling guilty that the company was still paying me. Not sure if I will be called back in the summer or not.

Isn't pretty much every other major company, other than Tauck, handling this about the same as ABD? I know Nat Geo is. And even Tauck is only giving CREDITS on trips scheduled for May 16-July 31 that GUESTS cancel. And as much as we want to believe that the rest of the Walt Disney Company can back ABD up, that's just now how divisions of big companies work.

Yes, Tauck may only be giving guests credit for guest cancellations, but they also delayed PIF until 30 days out very early on. They are not putting people in the position to have to make a call on putting significant funds at risk 120 or 90 days out.

Say Hello,

I apologize for any confusion. There has kind of been two conversations going on in this thread - one about how awful ABD handled the March trips and another about why isn't ABD doing something about ALL their trips and doing it right now. My comments were directed towards the latter.

Last edited:
Yes, Tauck may only be giving guests credit for guest cancellations, but they also delayed PIF until 30 days out very early on. They are not putting people in the position to have to make a call on putting significant funds at risk 120 or 90 days out.

Yes, in an earlier post I said ABD should be adjusting their PIF policy and letting people delay, and I think it makes them look bad that they haven't.

I'm aware we've had pandemics before. As I said in my post that you quoted, there has not been one of this SCALE in our lifetimes. When was the last time essentially all global travel was shutdown due to a pandemic? I'm certainly not an expert, but it's my understanding that viruses with this particular combination of incubation time, ease of transmission, asymptomatic transmission, and deadly effects are pretty rare. I'm 40, my parents are almost 70, and we've certainly never seen anything like this.

My point wasn't to downplay other pandemics or to suggest one will never happen again, but to point out that the scale of this one is completely unprecedented.

I misunderstood you then. It's definitely a once in a lifetime (hopefully) response, for sure. I'm also 40 with 70/71 parents, and we've never seen this either. I just hope this doesn't alter the world so much that it never recovers.

I misunderstood you then. It's definitely a once in a lifetime (hopefully) response, for sure. I'm also 40 with 70/71 parents, and we've never seen this either. I just hope this doesn't alter the world so much that it never recovers.

I think the way the world responds to a lot of things has been irrevocably changed due to the media/social media. I was really bothered last year by what happened with Boeing after the two 737 plane crashes, and even with Southwest after the passenger was killed when the engine shrapnel broke the window next to her seat. I'm certainly not trying to excuse any mistakes they made, but back in the 80s and 90s, Boeing had problems with both the 747 and 737 that resulted in deadly crashes and loss of life. But at no point was anything ever grounded. Heck, even our president can make one or two negative tweets about a company and it sends the stock plunging.

But in terms of changes that affect those of us with the travel bug, I think it's going to be more difficult to travel for the next year or so. Not necessarily because of lockdowns or government imposed restrictions, but because the airlines and cruise lines and tour companies are going to cut back on what they offer. Maybe demand will go down, too, though, because of the economic downturn, and those of us who still want to travel will be able to. But, I expect availability, especially of flights, to be limited.

I would expect the travel insurance industry to change their products (and costs), too.

Last edited:
But in terms of changes that affect those of us with the travel bug, I think it's going to be more difficult to travel for the next year or so. Not necessarily because of lockdowns or government imposed restrictions, but because the airlines and cruise lines and tour companies are going to cut back on what they offer. Maybe demand will go down, too, though, because of the economic downturn, and those of us who still want to travel will be able to. But, I expect availability, especially of flights, to be limited.

I would expect the travel insurance industry to change their products (and costs), too.

The industry I'd expect to be hit the hardest would be cruises. There was a Saudi financial group that just propped up Carnival a couple of days ago, but otherwise these cruise companies are in a world of pain right now. Stocks down 70%. Analysts not recommending purchasing even at that level. Disney can float DCL (pardon the pun) for several months or a year, but I don't think Carnival or Royal Caribbean can. It will be interesting to follow if there is still enough demand to keep them all afloat. I suspect there is, but I'd expect outside of Disney there will be some serious deals for anyone willing to cruise.

The industry I'd expect to be hit the hardest would be cruises. There was a Saudi financial group that just propped up Carnival a couple of days ago, but otherwise these cruise companies are in a world of pain right now. Stocks down 70%. Analysts not recommending purchasing even at that level. Disney can float DCL (pardon the pun) for several months or a year, but I don't think Carnival or Royal Caribbean can. It will be interesting to follow if there is still enough demand to keep them all afloat. I suspect there is, but I'd expect outside of Disney there will be some serious deals for anyone willing to cruise.

Oh, definitely. The cruise industry is going to be in a world of hurt. Also, cruise ships were already known for being "floating petri dishes" - there have been plenty of outbreaks on them in the past, it's just usually been norovirus. They might end up with a huge PR/public perception problem, even after this virus dies down. All the stories about ships being stranded out in the ocean with a bunch of sick passengers are just making things worse.

AMA waterways has cancelled all June cruises, so ABD has no boat - they have to cancel.

ABD cancelled the river cruises through June. CMs were notified this morning. Both that and my June Budapest Short Escape were cancelled. I called DVC this morning and rebooked both for next year since I used points. Unfortunately, it does not appear that their website has been updated to reflect this.

Last edited:
I just received a phone call from ABD. They cancelled my june Rhône cruise and refund me the money
AMA waterways has cancelled all June cruises, so ABD has no boat - they have to cancel.

I have been following this thread for awhile. We were supposed to take our first ever ABD vacation on the Rhine River Cruise beginning July 24-Aug 2 (which included an extra day add-on at the beginning so we could fly in a day early). The folks going were my mom, 70, me 47, and my two teen daughters 15, 17. My mom has severe/chronic asthma and will not be released by her doctor for international travel by then (nor do we plan on risking it even if she was).

We paid the trip in full already (back in February), used ABD to purchase our airline tickets (also paid for already), and purchased trip insurance through ABD (which is called ABD Vacation Protection Plan...so I'm not sure if that is under-written by some other company or not). **ETA our insurance is underwritten by: Arch Insurance Company.

We are hoping that the trip is cancelled by ABD, but from what I am reading, there is no way to tell until AMA Waterways makes that call forcing ABD's hand. And that may be a while yet...if at all. I also do not know what to expect from the insurance we bought through ABD, even with reading all of the fine print.

I will say, we have all had to mourn the loss of that trip. We were all looking forward to it. Moving it to next summer might be an option, but my oldest will be getting ready to go off to college and will most likely be playing a sport at that college (assuming her recruiting stays as it is), so it will be harder to make happen.

And to top it all off...they delivered the Welcome Packet Box thing today....We haven't opened it yet...but it just seems so sad...

Last edited:
ABD cancelled the river cruises through June. CMs were notified this morning. Both that and my June Budapest Short Escape were cancelled. I called DVC this morning and rebooked both for next year since I used points. Unfortunately, it does not appear that their website has been updated to reflect this.
Still waiting to hear back from my TA on this. DS really wants to book again for next year, but I’m on the fence (about ABD and about leaving my money with ABD for another year+).

I have been following this thread for awhile. We were supposed to take our first ever ABD vacation on the Rhine River Cruise beginning July 24-Aug 2 (which included an extra day add-on at the beginning so we could fly in a day early). The folks going were my mom, 70, me 47, and my two teen daughters 15, 17. My mom has sever/chronic asthma and will not be released by her doctor for international travel by then (nor do we plan on risking it even if she was).

We paid the trip in full already (back in February), used ABD to purchase our airline tickets (also paid for already), and purchased trip insurance through ABD (which is called ABD Vacation Protection Plan...so I'm not sure if that is under-written by some other company or not).

We are hoping that the trip is cancelled by ABD, but from what I am reading, there is no way to tell until AMA Waterways makes that call forcing ABD's hand. And that may be a while yet...if at all. I also do not know what to expect from the insurance we bought through ABD, even with reading all of the fine print.

I will say, we have all had to mourn the loss of that trip. We were all looking forward to it. Moving it to next summer might be an option, but my oldest will be getting ready to go off to college and will most likely be playing a sport at that college (assuming her recruiting stays as it is), so it will be harder to make happen.

And to top it all off...they delivered the Welcome Packet Box thing today....We haven't opened it yet...but it just seems so sad...
Since you purchased your airfare through ABD, if they cancel you should get a full refund, including your airfare.

If *you* cancel, chances are the ABD Vacation Protection Plan will *not* cover you. Epidemics/pandemics are not covered. The insurance *is* underwritten by another company. ABD is basically just acting as the agent for you. However, if the insurance denies your claim, ABD offers a "Cancel for any reason" coverage separate from the actual policy that will give you a future travel voucher for 75% of your non-refundable trip costs. That actually comes from ABD.

Sorry your going to have to cancel your trip. It's so hard after all this planning and all the expectation. I hope you can work it out for next year!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter