Travel Changes?

Right now I have a trip booked to Japan that starts July 5th. I have PIF, so if ABD cancels, I would get a refund or have the chance to apply those funds for a trip next year? I have not booked the flights yet so I don't have to worry about that.
Correct. If ABD cancels, they give you the option to move the funds to another departure of your trip, move your funds to another trip altogether or get a full refund. I am not sure if they are allowing you to park the funds until next year's trips are announced, but by the time a July trip would be cancelled, hopefully next year's trips would have already been announced. However, I don't know that there is really an advantage to letting ABD hang on to your money if you had to park it.

Sayhello

Correct. If ABD cancels, they give you the option to move the funds to another departure of your trip, move your funds to another trip altogether or get a full refund. I am not sure if they are allowing you to park the funds until next year's trips are announced, but by the time a July trip would be cancelled, hopefully next year's trips would have already been announced. However, I don't know that there is really an advantage to letting ABD hang on to your money if you had to park it.

Sayhello
True I really do not want by $20,000 + sitting for a year. I'd rather have a refund. I really want to do this trip and take the side trip to Tokyo Disneyland, I have been to all of the parks except for Tokyo and it has always been my dream to tour Japan so this trip checks off one of my major bucket lists.

True I really do not want by $20,000 + sitting for a year. I'd rather have a refund. I really want to do this trip and take the side trip to Tokyo Disneyland, I have been to all of the parks except for Tokyo and it has always been my dream to tour Japan so this trip checks off one of my major bucket lists.
I was in the same boat. Japan had been a dream of mine for a long time, and I'd also been to all parks but Tokyo Disney Resort. And it is a *fabulous* itinerary, too. I do hope you get to go, either this year or next. You will really love it!

Sayhello

When all of this craziness is over do whatever you can to make that dream happen. Tokyo DisneySea was incredible.

I mentioned in another post, that I've been trying to follow the news regarding Amawaterways to try to get a sense of what may be happening with the ABD river cruises this summer (we are booked on the Rhine in August). I came across this interesting article this morning in which the co-owner/co-founder and president of Ama is interviewed. He says one of the biggest questions, even if they can resume cruising in late summer, is if US citizens will be allowed to travel to Europe to board the cruises. I really hope we get an answer sooner rather than later!

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/new...ng-july-us-big-unknown-amawaterways-schreiner

Last edited:
Read this morning that Denali Backcountry Lodge, where we are supposed to stay for two nights during our Nat Geo trip will not be opening until June 13. And the Seward Windsong Lodge, were we are also supposed to stay for two nights, will not open until June 10. Our trip runs from June 3-10.

We could maybe switch to the July 15-22 trip, but who knows at this point if that trip will go. I may call them tomorrow, though, and see if that's an option. It still shows as "available to book" on their website.

I will not be changing our flights at this point in time, though.

I mentioned in a another post, that I've been trying to follow the news regarding Amawaterways to try to get a sense of what may be happening with the ABD river cruises this summer (we are booked on the Rhine in August). I came across this interesting article this morning in which the co-owner/co-founder and president of Ama is interviewed. He says one of the biggest questions, even if they can resume cruising in late summer, is if US citizens will be allowed to travel to Europe to board the cruises. I really hope we get an answer sooner rather than later!

That's really interesting because on our second cruise, which was AMA without Disney, almost every passenger I talked to lived in the USA. I'm glad they're in a financially sound state because I've really grown to love their cruises. I want to take another one on one of their lovely boats.

That's really interesting because on our second cruise, which was AMA without Disney, almost every passenger I talked to lived in the USA. I'm glad they're in a financially sound state because I've really grown to love their cruises. I want to take another one on one of their lovely boats.

Yes, their stable financial situation struck me as a very positive sign for them! It also made me think they are in a better position to make decisions solely on guest and crew safety as opposed to revenue and cash flow (though I'm sure they'd prefer not to sacrifice any of those things) I also liked the point he made about being on the river and always being within a country's borders as opposed to being on an ocean liner and being in international waters. It actually made river cruising sound a bit safer to me now! If we can't sail in August, we would very definitely consider rescheduling - Ama always gets such amazing reviews!

Disney has updated their terms of use on their website. I clicked on it to read what has changed and noticed there was a clause saying you will not seek to be a part of a class action suit against Disney. Does anyone know if this was there before? I couldn’t easily tell exactly what has changed and wondered if this was due to the virus and them trying to avoid a class action suit.

Last edited:
I went to the ABD website to take a look at the updated terms of use. My interpretation is that they are terms of use for the website. (Here's some language about what the license terms cover: "The Disney Products, including, but not limited to, movies, television shows, entertainment or informational programming, trailers, bonus material, scripts, code, images and artwork ….")

If you click on the terms and conditions for the trips themselves, I am not seeing any class action waiver or obligation to arbitrate disputes. So I don't think the new terms are for claims you might have against Disney related to travel and, for that reason, I doubt the change is related to covid.

I went to the ABD website to take a look at the updated terms of use. My interpretation is that they are terms of use for the website. (Here's some language about what the license terms cover: "The Disney Products, including, but not limited to, movies, television shows, entertainment or informational programming, trailers, bonus material, scripts, code, images and artwork ….")

If you click on the terms and conditions for the trips themselves, I am not seeing any class action waiver or obligation to arbitrate disputes. So I don't think the new terms are for claims you might have against Disney related to travel and, for that reason, I doubt the change is related to covid.
Thanks for clarifying for me. I hope I didn’t alarm anyone.

My SoCal/DL PIF is due next Monday (my trip is mid-July). I watched almost all of CA Gov. Newsom's press conference today and in it he said large scale events that bring in hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands of strangers are not in the cards even into the summer months of June, July, August. He talked a lot about how, even when they start loosening stay-at-home measures, restaurants will have less tables and people will still have to practice social and physical distancing. He still hasn't given a real timeline, but just based on these statements, I think there is no way DL will be open in mid-July.

I'm seriously considering calling ABD's bluff and paying the balance on this trip so I can get a full refund when it's cancelled. I know, I could be wrong and this trip could be a go - I just don't see how CA calls off school for the rest of the year but allows DL to open. Maybe it sounds ridiculous to lay out thousands of $$ to save a couple hundred, but I have so many travel credits at this point and I don't want anymore. Plus there are no SoCal/DL future dates that would work for me right now and rescheduling to another trip would mean having to bring my whole family (this was a solo trip) and costing far more money. If the trip ends up being a go, I could still swing it (it may be tricky as this whole trip was contingent on my son going to MA for summer school and we have no idea if that's still on!), but . . . . ugh! I got two reminders this week that my balance is due and it kind of irks me that they want more money right now when they can't even assure me a big part of their own company (DL!) will be open! I feel like I'm in Vegas right now, but I'm NOT having fun, LOL!

Our delayed PIF for our July Germany trip is due this Friday. Pretty sure I can cancel my Delta flights with no penalty as one of my legs was already changed by several hours and would cause me to miss my connection (Delta has be stellar throughout this crisis). I don’t see paying $14000 more and hoping for AbD to cancel later. Has anyone hit their delayed PIF yet? If so, what options did Disney offer? Anything??

My SoCal/DL PIF is due next Monday (my trip is mid-July). I watched almost all of CA Gov. Newsom's press conference today and in it he said large scale events that bring in hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands of strangers are not in the cards even into the summer months of June, July, August. He talked a lot about how, even when they start loosening stay-at-home measures, restaurants will have less tables and people will still have to practice social and physical distancing. He still hasn't given a real timeline, but just based on these statements, I think there is no way DL will be open in mid-July.

I'm seriously considering calling ABD's bluff and paying the balance on this trip so I can get a full refund when it's cancelled. I know, I could be wrong and this trip could be a go - I just don't see how CA calls off school for the rest of the year but allows DL to open. Maybe it sounds ridiculous to lay out thousands of $$ to save a couple hundred, but I have so many travel credits at this point and I don't want anymore. Plus there are no SoCal/DL future dates that would work for me right now and rescheduling to another trip would mean having to bring my whole family (this was a solo trip) and costing far more money. If the trip ends up being a go, I could still swing it (it may be tricky as this whole trip was contingent on my son going to MA for summer school and we have no idea if that's still on!), but . . . . ugh! I got two reminders this week that my balance is due and it kind of irks me that they want more money right now when they can't even assure me a big part of their own company (DL!) will be open! I feel like I'm in Vegas right now, but I'm NOT having fun, LOL!
This is such a tough one. I watched the governor's speech and had the same thought as you. I can't see how Disneyland or sporting events open in the parameters he was talking about. I'm not sure what I would do in your shoes, but I can totally see why calling their bluff might be on the table. I hate losing money, too, so I totally get it.

Our delayed PIF for our July Germany trip is due this Friday. Pretty sure I can cancel my Delta flights with no penalty as one of my legs was already changed by several hours and would cause me to miss my connection (Delta has be stellar throughout this crisis). I don’t see paying $14000 more and hoping for AbD to cancel later. Has anyone hit their delayed PIF yet? If so, what options did Disney offer? Anything??

There's no way I would give ABD a PIF amount of money in the hopes they'll cancel. You should view the deposit you gave them as a potential sunk cost or try and move it to a trip next year (which is what I'm planning to do)
And its unbelievable that even in this crisis they want people to PIF 3 months in advance... I would call (and keep calling) a supervisor at ABD to get some relief. That seems to do the trick at Disney.

And all of you guys hoping they'll cancel now...They'll probably wait until a govt authority literally says they can't travel.

I clicked on it to read what has changed and noticed there was a clause saying you will not seek to be a part of a class action suit against Disney. Does anyone know if this was there before? I couldn’t easily tell exactly what has changed and wondered if this was due to the virus and them trying to avoid a class action suit.
That is only for the web site. There is a separate agreement for actual ABD trips that you fill out when you book one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter