• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel Changes?

There's no way I would give ABD a PIF amount of money in the hopes they'll cancel. You should view the deposit you gave them as a potential sunk cost or try and move it to a trip next year (which is what I'm planning to do)
And its unbelievable that even in this crisis they want people to PIF 3 months in advance... I would call (and keep calling) a supervisor at ABD to get some relief. That seems to do the trick at Disney.

And all of you guys hoping they'll cancel now...They'll probably wait until a govt authority literally says they can't travel.

Totally agree. I seriously cannot believe they haven't canceled, at the very least, the June Italy trips.

Our family's only saving grace, I believe, is we booked a river cruise and Ama seems to be way ahead of the curve in terms of cancelling their sailings (so ABD has to follow suit). With Macron saying he wants to keep France's borders shut until October and Merkel announcing today no large gatherings until after August 31, I don't know how they could possibly sail this summer. The co-owner of Ama already said in an interview they are prepared to call off the whole 2020 season if necessary. I'm really hoping with Macron and Merkel's remarks this week, Ama will cancel sooner rather than later and force ABD's hand!

We have a land trip to France planned and PIF with a French company for June, and airline tickets with AirFrance. I've been waiting for something official that states we can't travel before contacting them. The company contacted me today to ask if we'd be ok with a credit for next year since we won't be able to travel this June. That's generous, as I'm pretty sure they could have just taken our money. That said, I'm going to ask for a refund since I have no idea what next year will bring financially, but if I can't get that, I'll be happy with credit. Now to see what happens with the airline tickets.

We have a land trip to France planned and PIF with a French company for June, and airline tickets with AirFrance. I've been waiting for something official that states we can't travel before contacting them. The company contacted me today to ask if we'd be ok with a credit for next year since we won't be able to travel this June. That's generous, as I'm pretty sure they could have just taken our money. That said, I'm going to ask for a refund since I have no idea what next year will bring financially, but if I can't get that, I'll be happy with credit. Now to see what happens with the airline tickets.

I have tickets with Air France in June for our TB Siene river cruise. It'll be cancelled, I am sure. And our flights will be as well, since I have direct flights from Houston and right now AF in only flying to NY/LA. Yesterday (maybe 2 days ago) AF had a special link for people traveling from the US that said they got refunds if the flight was cancelled. It seems that last night, based on the time of the AF operational update, they are now only offering vouchers that are refundable after a year if you do not use them.... Still just playing the waiting game to see if the DOT gets tough, but they seem to be allowing United to get away with it.

I have tickets with Air France in June for our TB Siene river cruise. It'll be cancelled, I am sure. And our flights will be as well, since I have direct flights from Houston and right now AF in only flying to NY/LA. Yesterday (maybe 2 days ago) AF had a special link for people traveling from the US that said they got refunds if the flight was cancelled. It seems that last night, based on the time of the AF operational update, they are now only offering vouchers that are refundable after a year if you do not use them.... Still just playing the waiting game to see if the DOT gets tough, but they seem to be allowing United to get away with it.
FYI Tauck cancelled all June trips as of today

Where is that coming from? I've not seen that.

i'm in israel....that was just a rumor...i can't see how it's possible for that to be true....i'm sure there will be some sort of flight restart before then.....although who knows....
supposedly they're going to start a new phase here next week - or announce it next week....
a slow restart of some kind....
as of sunday, masks here are now required by law and you can be ticketed for not wearing one.
when i delivered something to my son's two days ago (he lives a block away), everyone out to buy groceries for the holiday were wearing masks, even the elementary school kids i saw.....
so seems people are listening to the directives...once everyone is wearing a mask, it no longer seems weird...or not quite as weird...

True I really do not want by $20,000 + sitting for a year. I'd rather have a refund. I really want to do this trip and take the side trip to Tokyo Disneyland, I have been to all of the parks except for Tokyo and it has always been my dream to tour Japan so this trip checks off one of my major bucket lists.

eventually this will all be a bad dream, and you'll get to tokyo...

my bucket list is to take the entire family to japan (kids and grandkids)....
it was sort of my second home when i was growing up, so it's not just to the parks, but there as well...

we'll all get there.....i doubt this year, but certainly next year we'll all be traveling and flying and cruising again....

FYI Tauck cancelled all June trips as of today

Wow. I just checked out their site and the page that announced the cancellations. Their cancellation and change terms for July are really generous - 30 day PIF and you can get a travel credit even if you cancel after PIF. We haven't traveled with Tauck for over a decade, but I would definitely give them another look now.

Delta cancelled our May 31 flight to Italy for our June 2 Italy ABD trip. The email said I would receive an e-credit but I called and requested a refund. The call took a while but he said we should see the credit to our AMEX card in 7-10 days.
I’m calling Disney today to see if they will also refund me the ABD portion since my flight has been cancelled.

Delta cancelled our May 31 flight to Italy for our June 2 Italy ABD trip. The email said I would receive an e-credit but I called and requested a refund. The call took a while but he said we should see the credit to our AMEX card in 7-10 days.
I’m calling Disney today to see if they will also refund me the ABD portion since my flight has been cancelled.
Let us know your results! Personally, I doubt they will, because if the tour is still going, they expect you to just find a new way there. It's highly likely ABD will end up cancelling the tour, but they wait until they absolutely have to. Don't cancel on your own, as there's no advantage to that. You'd be best off playing "chicken" with them.

I gotta say, I know a lot of countries are on that list but, I'm worried if the US doesn't handle this properly, while everyone else kicks COVID-19's butt, that we'll become travel pariahs, and subject to quarantine with any overseas travel.
Unfortunately, that's a highly likely result. It's actually already started.

I know it's so depressing to see those unused ABD boxes! I keep staring sadly at the England/France box and luggage tags sitting in my closet.
Because I was doing a River Cruise, I actually even have the duffle bag, with the note asking me to bring it on the cruise with me. :( For some reason they send it ahead of time.

Sayhello

Last edited:

ABD isn't going to cancel just because your flight was cancelled (I know its counter intuitive)
If I were you I'd wait a few more weeks. It seems very likely that they'll cancel the June Italy trips. Wait till the last second.

We just got our ABD handbook for our early August Rhine cruise. Ugh. It would have been so exciting otherwise.

I got it too! When I opened the e-mail, my first thought was "nothing to see here folks"! I've been getting payment reminders from ABD as well. They just don't seem to want to recognize in any way that the world around them has completely changed. It all seems very cold and automated to me.

I gotta say, I know a lot of countries are on that list but, I'm worried if the US doesn't handle this properly, while everyone else kicks COVID-19's butt, that we'll become travel pariahs, and subject to quarantine with any overseas travel.

I was thinking the same thing this morning! With calls for expanded testing and contact tracing needing to be in place in order to re-open economies - if the US can't implement or keep up with other countries in these areas, there is no way they are letting us in any time soon. I'm just outside NYC and even other US states don't want me coming anywhere near them right now, LOL!

If ABD cancels a trip and you have ABD insurance, is the premium for ABD insurance refundable or transferable to a new ABD trip?

I am asking because I buy insurance OYO and not with ABD. If ABD refunds the insurance, this is yet another reason to buy ABD insurance + ABD air to get the most refund. My OYO insurance is not transferable so I will be out of money if ABD cancels me.

My old ways of booking and making travel arrangements are now out the window. I need new strategies post COVID-19.

Glad to hear Delta handled it appropriately. I hope you get the same from ABD. Please let us know. Given the accounts here, I'm thinking you'd better get to rowing across the Atlantic:rolleyes1
I'll have to make my own phone call soon re: our September ABD on the Danube. ( please, AMA, pull the plug now and force ABD's hand ).

If ABD cancels a trip and you have ABD insurance, is the premium for ABD insurance refundable or transferable to a new ABD trip?

I am asking because I buy insurance OYO and not with ABD. If ABD refunds the insurance, this is yet another reason to buy ABD insurance + ABD air to get the most refund. My OYO insurance is not transferable so I will be out of money if ABD cancels me.

My old ways of booking and making travel arrangements are now out the window. I need new strategies post COVID-19.
Personally, I'd look into outside travel insurance that is transferable. Lots of them are (mine is). The ABD coverage generally costs so much extra that you're paying the equivalent of 2 policies anyways, with much lower coverage. But it never hurts to price out the ABD policy.

Sayhello

My OYO insurance is not transferable so I will be out of money if ABD cancels me.

I would double check on whether your insurance is transferable. Many OYO insurance companies are actually refunding insurance premiums. I was able to get the insurance premium from two separate trips fully refunded to my credit card.

Search your insurance company's website for transfer or refund forms. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter