Travel insurance

mumsy1955

DISNEY FAN
My dh had heart bypass surgery and stents 4 years ago,and has had no problems since We went to Orlando last year and obviously declared this,and paid elevated amount of money (£350)for insurance because of this.( Years cover). We are due to fly in 3 weeks as daughter is getting married in disney.Unfortunately he has had some chest pain / discomfort recently and blood tests,ECG chest xray (taken in a &e)all ok and was advised to make appointment at chest pain clinic.His GP thought he should see a cardiologist because of past history and he is waiting for a angiogram..,and has been given some medication. When we phoned the insurance company to inform them of this ( the same company who approved our insurance after he had bypass and stents and is classed as having heart disease) have now said policy is cancelled because he is """ waiting for investigations" "" They did give us the number for another company who have quoted us £ 1950 which will only cover medical expenses ,not cancellation or luggage ,if we were to have that covered it goes up to £3000 . So much for insurance companies who claim " we will cover any pre existing condition ,heart conditions ,"you only have so long to live" conditions etc!!! I am so annoyed ,we are both on the policy as a couple but now I am not covered as the have cancelled the policy even though there is nothing wrong with me.I am not totally against paying extra as there is the extra risk ,but when they have previously covered him for cardiac problems why can't they not put the premium up a little or even double it ,not basically add another £1600,or at least wait until the investigation shows anything,a cardiac problem is a cardiac problem! ,it could be nothing to worry about.We will have to pay the extortionate amount as I've said before as it's our daughters wedding ,but what a damper that has put on such a special occassions.Sorry for the long rant!!!!

My dh had heart bypass surgery and stents 4 years ago,and has had no problems since We went to Orlando last year and obviously declared this,and paid elevated amount of money (£350)for insurance because of this.( Years cover). We are due to fly in 3 weeks as daughter is getting married in disney.Unfortunately he has had some chest pain / discomfort recently and blood tests,ECG chest xray (taken in a &e)all ok and was advised to make appointment at chest pain clinic.His GP thought he should see a cardiologist because of past history and he is waiting for a angiogram..,and has been given some medication. When we phoned the insurance company to inform them of this ( the same company who approved our insurance after he had bypass and stents and is classed as having heart disease) have now said policy is cancelled because he is """ waiting for investigations" "" They did give us the number for another company who have quoted us £ 1950 which will only cover medical expenses ,not cancellation or luggage ,if we were to have that covered it goes up to £3000 . So much for insurance companies who claim " we will cover any pre existing condition ,heart conditions ,"you only have so long to live" conditions etc!!! I am so annoyed ,we are both on the policy as a couple but now I am not covered as the have cancelled the policy even though there is nothing wrong with me.I am not totally against paying extra as there is the extra risk ,but when they have previously covered him for cardiac problems why can't they not put the premium up a little or even double it ,not basically add another £1600,or at least wait until the investigation shows anything,a cardiac problem is a cardiac problem! ,it could be nothing to worry about.We will have to pay the extortionate amount as I've said before as it's our daughters wedding ,but what a damper that has put on such a special occassions.Sorry for the long rant!!!!
I am so sory---that is a huge expense to hit unexpectedly and with a wedding that you really need to be at.

That said, US healthcare costs are VERY high. Even a simple clinic visit for backpain with no tests runs at all ran over $1000 for DH two years ago (our travel insurance covered it, thankfully). Cardiac issues could quickly run into the tens of thousands and easily into six figures if something more serious occirs. I can imagine that the prior situation, in which your DH had known past issues but was stable and expected to remain such, would be far less risk to the company than now, when the situation is uncertain and you do not even know what might be wrong. The timing absolutely stinks, but I struggle to fault the insurance company in this case.

I am so sory---that is a huge expense to hit unexpectedly and with a wedding that you really need to be at.

That said, US healthcare costs are VERY high. Even a simple clinic visit for backpain with no tests runs at all ran over $1000 for DH two years ago (our travel insurance covered it, thankfully). Cardiac issues could quickly run into the tens of thousands and easily into six figures if something more serious occirs. I can imagine that the prior situation, in which your DH had known past issues but was stable and expected to remain such, would be far less risk to the company than now, when the situation is uncertain and you do not even know what might be wrong. The timing absolutely stinks, but I struggle to fault the insurance company in this case.

Thanks for your reply,I do realise that US medical costs are high and would never even consider not informing insurance company of any changes,in his treatment or whatever because of that very fact ,but why would my cover be cancelled Dh has insisted if he can't go on the holiday he still wants me to go because of the wedding and he feels he would feel more stressed if he thought I wasn't going because he couldnt. All this of course depends on what investigations reveal! As you said couldn't have happened at a worse time. Just wonder how the opposite works for someone from the US with a pre existing condition who may need treatment after they get here in the UK,do they pay thousands of dollars?. I am hoping all goes well and we intend to have a fabulous time at the wedding!!!!I

One other thing ,as our policy has been cancelled as I mentioned before because of waiting for investigations,and there is every chance that I will still be going on the holiday ,should I get cover for myself now. And why was my cover cancelled on our joint policy ,there s nothing wrong with me,we had just got a couple's cover no one asked me if I still wanted to be covered

Last edited:

When is the angiogram due to happen? Can you get it scheduled soon so that the situation may be cleared up beforehand?

You will likely find insurance for much cheaper for yourself providing you have no serious health conditions, so I wouldn’t worry too much about them cancelling your insurance if this is the case.

Definitely make sure the insurance for your husband covers enough for medical treatments, as treatment costs in the US can easily reach six figure sums. Times like these I am thankful for our NHS! :) All the best to you both - hope you manage to get your insurance sorted and have a lovely holiday!

When is the angiogram due to happen? Can you get it scheduled soon so that the situation may be cleared up beforehand?

You will likely find insurance for much cheaper for yourself providing you have no serious health conditions, so I wouldn’t worry too much about them cancelling your insurance if this is the case.

Definitely make sure the insurance for your husband covers enough for medical treatments, as treatment costs in the US can easily reach six figure sums. Times like these I am thankful for our NHS! :) All the best to you both - hope you manage to get your insurance sorted and have a lovely holiday!

We think it is going to be done on the 30 th October( we fly on 3rdNovember) but if there's a cancellation it will be done sooner fingers crossed .Consultant said he would put it as urgent because we are due on holiday /\wedding coming up and his list is not very long at the minute. We will definitely make sure husband is properly insured and as you say thank heaven's for our N H S

Last edited:

As you said couldn't have happened at a worse time. Just wonder how the opposite works for someone from the US with a pre existing condition who may need treatment after they get here in the UK,do they pay thousands of dollars?.

I honestly do not know--you probably know more about that, being someone who lives in the UK, than most non UK posters would.
what I do know is that in 2010 we were travelling in London and my oldest child, aged 13 at the time becamse suddednly ill---we ended up at the hospital there right by westminster Abby. Several hours and a few tets later, we left with a diagnosis of a kidney infection, the feveer under control and medication---no bill at all. We had great insurance (German public which covers us throughout the EU) and went to give our info and were told the UK does not charge to treat children.
But, that was many years ago and not a pre existing condition at all.

Even if the UK were to charge someone visiting for the full cost of care, that is likely far less than it would be to do so in the US, because American for profit healthcare and high liability costs means the same procedures can be far mroe expensive than elsewhere in the world. For example, my in laws visited us in Europe in 2009 (they are from the US) and my father in law was on medication which required blood work be done weekly. He had that work done in Germany and in Denmark and paid out of pocket both times for the draw, lab test and doctor consult---tose out of pocket bills were about the same as his co-pay in the USA and I recall how shocked he and DMiL were---they said the EOB for the same thing in the US showe the discounted rate being charged to the insurance coing in at some high amount (I do not recall what but I want to say well over 100 dollars for what ran about 30 euro).

Again, it is an awful situation on your end--no doubt about that and I really feel for you, but I cannot fault an insurance company for not wanting to take that risk.

. And why was my cover cancelled on our joint policy ,there s nothing wrong with me,we had just got a couple's cover no one asked me if I still wanted to be covered

Becuase you were not covered on a seperate policy from your husband. It was a JOINT policy, which means either you are both insured or niether is. Since your DH is not insurable under the policy at the moment, then your policy is void. This should be the case with any insurance provider. As a PP said, you can likely get a policy for just youself for far less money though. Hopefully there is a cancellation at the doctor, your DH can get in soon adn they see no major issues and then you can both get insurance for not too much.

Good luck.

Having read some people's experiences with insurance companies and what they need to know I wonder how long it will be before you have to give a list of every time you have seen your doctor,taken a tablet, or visited a hospital from the day you were born. before you are allowed to travel. Obviously things like coronary problems etc need to be declared ,but some things that have stopped people's claims are ridiculous!! For example someone who developed kidney problems but was knocked back because they had a bout of insomnia years previously and didn't declare they had been prescribed sleeping tablets for a time

Thanks for your reply,I do realise that US medical costs are high and would never even consider not informing insurance company of any changes,in his treatment or whatever because of that very fact ,but why would my cover be cancelled Dh has insisted if he can't go on the holiday he still wants me to go because of the wedding and he feels he would feel more stressed if he thought I wasn't going because he couldnt. All this of course depends on what investigations reveal! As you said couldn't have happened at a worse time. Just wonder how the opposite works for someone from the US with a pre existing condition who may need treatment after they get here in the UK,do they pay thousands of dollars?. I am hoping all goes well and we intend to have a fabulous time at the wedding!!!!I

One other thing ,as our policy has been cancelled as I mentioned before because of waiting for investigations,and there is every chance that I will still be going on the holiday ,should I get cover for myself now. And why was my cover cancelled on our joint policy ,there s nothing wrong with me,we had just got a couple's cover no one asked me if I still wanted to be covered

Not in the US, but here in Canada the best multi-trip annual travel medical insurance [just the medical and medical evacuation side, does not cover cancelation or interruption] I have been able to find has a seven day before the trip stability clause for pre-existing conditions to be covered. Under this insurance, if you have a condition that still has investigations outstanding it is not considered stable and would not be covered [there is specific wording, so routine testing is fine, but anything new still outstanding is considered not stable there is also wording re: changes in medications]. Also for pre-existing lung and cardiac conditions there are additional exclusions if taking certain medications. And this is the good insurance ! Most travel medical insurance here has pre-existing condition stability/exclusion periods of 90-180 days. Age also is a factor, as one gets older the stability period increases [on the good policy I found, it starts increasing at age 60].

I would guess the reason for the cancelation can be found somewhere in the fine print of your policy.

For myself, I would never travel to the US without sufficient travel medical and medical evacuation insurance -- not even for a day trip of a few hours an hour's drive away. Interruption and cancellation insurance is a separate issue [though they are often bundled into one insurance product] that depends on many factors including your comfort level and tolerance to potential loss of the cost of the trip or extra costs incurred.

SW

Not in the US, but here in Canada the best multi-trip annual travel medical insurance [just the medical and medical evacuation side, does not cover cancelation or interruption] I have been able to find has a seven day before the trip stability clause for pre-existing conditions to be covered. Under this insurance, if you have a condition that still has investigations outstanding it is not considered stable and would not be covered [there is specific wording, so routine testing is fine, but anything new still outstanding is considered not stable there is also wording re: changes in medications]. Also for pre-existing lung and cardiac conditions there are additional exclusions if taking certain medications. And this is the good insurance ! Most travel medical insurance here has pre-existing condition stability/exclusion periods of 90-180 days. Age also is a factor, as one gets older the stability period increases [on the good policy I found, it starts increasing at age 60].

I would guess the reason for the cancelation can be found somewhere in the fine print of your policy.

For myself, I would never travel to the US without sufficient travel medical and medical evacuation insurance -- not even for a day trip of a few hours an hour's drive away. Interruption and cancellation insurance is a separate issue [though they are often bundled into one insurance product] that depends on many factors including your comfort level and tolerance to potential loss of the cost of the trip or extra costs incurred.

SW

Would you mind sharing the name of the company that you got this insurance policy from? We are looking for an out of country travel medical insurance for my husband. He has preexisting conditions including cardiac and it seems that every little thing that happens sets the clock back to waiting for that magic number of stability days.

Would you mind sharing the name of the company that you got this insurance policy from? We are looking for an out of country travel medical insurance for my husband. He has preexisting conditions including cardiac and it seems that every little thing that happens sets the clock back to waiting for that magic number of stability days.

TuGo: https://www.tugo.com/ We get their Multi-trip Annual Emergency Medical Insurance.

According to the TuGO FAQ: "You can buy travel insurance through your local insurance broker or by contacting TuGo’s Customer Service at 1-855-929-8846.".

Note that via their website for online quotes they sell it through "Partners" [click "partners", then select your province of residence and you will see the partners they sell through]. I used to get it through R. Battiston for many years, but a couple years ago that broker's TuGo policy added extras and conditions which changed the exclusion period to longer, so I switched and now get it through Travel Secure [we are in Ontario]. You can get an online quote and purchase it directly through the TuGo website, or you can go through the partner or through calling TuGo.

Note: even if you go through the broker partner directly to do the purchase, at the TuGo website you can get a copy of the policy for that partner and read the fine print. As far as I can tell the base products are mostly the same (TuGo Traveller policy), but the various partners then add some extra stuff ("additions" pages at the beginning of the policy document after the cover page), which can be good for the client, but can also change the normal pre-existing condition exclusion/stability period. I spend a long time reading the entire policies available through each of the partners in my province before deciding on the one I went with. The first couple times I went through the broker directly so I could talk with a human and make sure I was getting the product I needed and thought I was getting. For renewals it was easy to do it online after verifying the policy wording and that there weren't subtantive chnges year to year.

Also, FWIW, the TuGo website has lots of good info about travel insurance coverage; they have a blog and FAQ which are quite informative even if you aren't insured by them.

Finally, we have not had to make a claim through TuGo so I can't speak to that side. When we went through Mr. Battiston's brokerage he assured us they were quite good. Whenever we have had to deal with TuGo's customer service I have found them quite pleasant and helpful.

Even if you end up not going with TuGo, their website is informative and their policies are in pretty clear language, which will inform you in your search for travel insurance that works for your family.

One more point -- make sure you understand the travel insurance concept of first payer and what it means when your insurance is NOT first payer. In the policy the info you need to read is usually under the section discussing "subrogation". There are multilple Canadian media articles on the issue in the last couple years. Most travel medical policies are NOT first payer policies.

Good luck !

SW

(I have no affiliation with TuGo or the brokers listed above and have no involvement in the insurance industry; just a happy customer pleased to find a policy with what I think is a more rational stability period instead of the normal 90-180 days one finds for most Canadian policies)

TuGo: https://www.tugo.com/ We get their Multi-trip Annual Emergency Medical Insurance.

According to the TuGO FAQ: "You can buy travel insurance through your local insurance broker or by contacting TuGo’s Customer Service at 1-855-929-8846.".

Note that via their website for online quotes they sell it through "Partners" [click "partners", then select your province of residence and you will see the partners they sell through]. I used to get it through R. Battiston for many years, but a couple years ago that broker's TuGo policy added extras and conditions which changed the exclusion period to longer, so I switched and now get it through Travel Secure [we are in Ontario]. You can get an online quote and purchase it directly through the TuGo website, or you can go through the partner or through calling TuGo.

Note: even if you go through the broker partner directly to do the purchase, at the TuGo website you can get a copy of the policy for that partner and read the fine print. As far as I can tell the base products are mostly the same (TuGo Traveller policy), but the various partners then add some extra stuff ("additions" pages at the beginning of the policy document after the cover page), which can be good for the client, but can also change the normal pre-existing condition exclusion/stability period. I spend a long time reading the entire policies available through each of the partners in my province before deciding on the one I went with. The first couple times I went through the broker directly so I could talk with a human and make sure I was getting the product I needed and thought I was getting. For renewals it was easy to do it online after verifying the policy wording and that there weren't subtantive chnges year to year.

Also, FWIW, the TuGo website has lots of good info about travel insurance coverage; they have a blog and FAQ which are quite informative even if you aren't insured by them.

Finally, we have not had to make a claim through TuGo so I can't speak to that side. When we went through Mr. Battiston's brokerage he assured us they were quite good. Whenever we have had to deal with TuGo's customer service I have found them quite pleasant and helpful.

Even if you end up not going with TuGo, their website is informative and their policies are in pretty clear language, which will inform you in your search for travel insurance that works for your family.

One more point -- make sure you understand the travel insurance concept of first payer and what it means when your insurance is NOT first payer. In the policy the info you need to read is usually under the section discussing "subrogation". There are multilple Canadian media articles on the issue in the last couple years. Most travel medical policies are NOT first payer policies.

Good luck !

SW

(I have no affiliation with TuGo or the brokers listed above and have no involvement in the insurance industry; just a happy customer pleased to find a policy with what I think is a more rational stability period instead of the normal 90-180 days one finds for most Canadian policies)

Thank you so much for the information. I'll be sure to check it out.

We are also in Ontario.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter